PDA

View Full Version : Coasting or broken?

TD 21
01-02-2014, 11:12 PM
To me, it's not even a question. Coasting is when there's nothing fundamentally different from the previous season and the players are clearly just pacing themselves. Every once in a while, against credible opposition, they let everyone know it. Broken is a when a lineup that once had success is flat out no longer capable of playing together on both sides of the ball and when your two best players take a giant step back.

RD2191
01-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Our starters suck, and I mean really suck. They're putting up negatives in +/- on a regular basis.

skut_farkus
01-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Our starters suck, and I mean really suck. They're putting up negatives in +/- on a regular basis.

Shut up faggot

Amuseddaysleeper
01-02-2014, 11:21 PM
This is the worst Spurs team since 2009.

RD2191
01-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Shut up faggot
:lmao

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-02-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm a faggot

RD2191
01-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Tim, Tony, Kawhi, and Splitter had a combined 35 points tonight. :lol

look_at_g_shred
01-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Tony/Tim look bored out there...and it's hurting our starting unit. Plus we had them beat in the first half but we turned the ball over trying to get too fancy with the ball and playing down to our opponent. Spurs better wake up Saturday!!!!

Prime Time
01-02-2014, 11:24 PM
I vote none of the above. Spurs aren't 'coating', they're obviously TRYING to win games. But they aren't 'broken' either. I think they're just sucking for the moment, but that's not to say they can't improve within the 3 months of the remaining season. Spurs are a proven team, consecutive conference finals appearances and a conference title in the past 2 years. I'm not ready to call them broken early-January.

Expert
01-02-2014, 11:25 PM
exact same record we had at this time last year. Stop freaking out you idiots. It's a long season and we have not even started the rodeo road trip.

RD2191
01-02-2014, 11:27 PM
exact same record we had at this time last year. Stop freaking out you idiots. It's a long season and we have not even started the rodeo road trip.
We're the idiots and you couldn't even pick the right fucking team?

SpursRock20
Both. Coasting because they continue to play down to the level of inferior opponents and are star-struck when they actually play a credible team. It's getting quite bothersome to see. Broken because both Leonard and Green have seemed to lose a bit of their confidence while Parker is simply slow. I'm just glad that no one has gotten injured yet.

look_at_g_shred
Best take I've seen all night my friend :tu

sexinthatsx
I believe that Pop is still experimenting with the bench and players. It's obvious that even having just 2 different players on the team can drastically affect the chemistry. I don't think that the Spurs are coasting, but they're definitely trying to find a way to make the team gel.

apalisoc_9
01-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Tony Parker

Chinook
01-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Broken so long as Pop keeps going with a broken rotation.

cjw
01-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Tim, Tony, Kawhi, and Splitter had a combined 35 points tonight. :lol

On the flip side, starters had 72. Those four plus Green had the first or second best +/- per 100 in the league last year. Larger sample size. Of the group, I'm most worried about Green not those four.

Reck
01-02-2014, 11:31 PM
I believe that Pop is still experimenting with the bench and players. It's obvious that even having just 2 different players on the team can drastically affect the chemistry. I don't think that the Spurs are coasting, but they're definitely trying to find a way to make the team gel.

:lol at your sig.

Pretty much what Knicks did to the Spurs tonight.

Black guy taunting at first, gets knocked the fuck out and gets all confused at the situation. :lmao

SpursRock20
01-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Except when you look at how some of the players are playing, how can you not be a little alarmed? Parker relies on athleticism and he seems to have lost quite a bit of it while Duncan has dipped quite a bit in his production (granted he has been playing a bit better lately). Not to mention, Leonard looks very rattled out there. He has lost all confidence and is simply making unwise decisions with the ball in his hands. I know it is still January but there is certainly a few trends going on.

HI-FI
01-02-2014, 11:33 PM
we're coasting a lot, but things also seem somewhat broken or out of sync. I think some of these issues will be resolved, but Parker is a serious question mark.

It's incredible our record is this good when the so-called best player has been this bad. Our bench has saved us many times so far. I don't feel confident about Parker, but then I never have tbh.

Reck
Anyhow, I've said this alot over the past few years. These group of guys have stayed together long enough. Now they're complacent and just plain lazy.

Time to move some pieces around. Duncan has like 2 years left, lets not dick around and waste them with this pathetic unit.

RD2191
gtfo with playing down to our opponent bullshit? wtf, are we pulling a clippers now? gimme a break

Budkin
01-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Unless the starters, especially Parker come around, we're probably second round fodder.

Reck
01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
gtfo with playing down to our opponent bullshit? wtf, are we pulling a clippers now? gimme a break

People say that when they're in denial and dont want to see what's in front of their faces. Clearly this team is trying to win, they just cant because they're so out of sorts.

TD 21
01-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Broken so long as Pop keeps going with a broken rotation.

Right, but even if he smartens up, Parker and Duncan are nowhere near their level of the past two seasons and as well as Ginobili's playing, he's no longer good enough to where he can singlehandedly will them to victories. For the first time in a long time, they don't have a player capable of that, which is why they continue to fail to win games they don't deserve to, unlike other elite teams, who routinely pull these types of games out of their ass.

KL2
01-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Their chances of winning a title were thrown away by Manu last year, they hit all the right shots, made all the right defensive plays, and OKC was hurt, even the officiating was pretty fair.

Pop has this idiotic notion that Parker will win them a championship when the truth is PG's don't win championships, especially a guy like Parker, stick a long defender on him or clog the paint and he's done. Big men and forwards do, unfortunately Duncan has regressed while they do have an all star quality SF that is set up for failure, totally being misused.

Spursfanfromafar
01-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Will answer this question in March. This Spurs season is following a pattern of the earlier productive ones when Pop played his rotations conservatively to protect players from injuries while keeping them in the hunt. Thus far, if that is the deal, mission accomplished. The losses to elite teams and games like these hurt. But they don't take away from the objective.

TheGoldStandard
01-02-2014, 11:48 PM
If the Spurs suck after All Star Weekend next month than we know that it's not meant to be this year.. That is the perfect opportunity for this team to get rest, get its legs for the real season.

Chinook
01-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Right, but even if he smartens up, Parker and Duncan are nowhere near their level of the past two seasons and as well as Ginobili's playing, he's no longer good enough to where he can singlehandedly will them to victories. For the first time in a long time, they don't have a player capable of that, which is why they continue to fail to win games they don't deserve to, unlike other elite teams, who routinely pull these types of games out of their ass.

Tim and Tony look bad in large part due to spacing being poor. Tim has been catching on, but Tony especially needs spacing to beat his man without overexerting himself. He isn't in the same shape as last season, and it's showing.

ElNono
01-02-2014, 11:53 PM
The big 3 + Tiago, coasting mostly, IMO. The team still has to sort out some stuff with Kawhi/Danny/Marco, but there's plenty of time for that. I thought last year they came out with a chip on their shoulder that they needed to improve defensively and they did. This season they started with a bang on that area too, but now it's like they're half assing it for 2-3 quarters. Reminds me a lot of last's season Spurs in the last two weeks of the season, tbh...

TD 21
01-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Tim and Tony look bad in large part due to spacing being poor. Tim has been catching on, but Tony especially needs spacing to beat his man without overexerting himself. He isn't in the same shape as last season, and it's showing.

Yeah, but Duncan is part of the reason the spacing is poor (Leonard is the other part).

Two lesser discussed, but major issues in their own right: 1) The vanilla offense. They're freelancing more than I can ever remember and when they do run a play (not counting ato's), it's generally one of the same few. 2) From somewhere around the mid point last season on, their three point defense has to be on the short list of worst in the league.

Leetonidas
01-02-2014, 11:58 PM
The Spurs look somewhat like a combination of both. I think Parker needs rest and I don't know what the fuck Leonard's deal is this season. But from what I've seen, it seems like the Spurs coast in the first 3 quarters and try to wake up and win games in the fourth. It has worked a few times but when you let some teams stay in it like this they get confident and you have scrubs like Shumpert going for career highs. They play extremely complacent most of the time except for the end of quarters/4th quarter. Shit is kind of annoying, it's why the 2nd unit comes in and wrecks shit so often because they, unlike the starters, play with more intensity. It's no coincidence that the Spurs go on runs routinely to end quarters since the 2nd unit is usually out there to end a quarter.

Spurs starting lineup has been bad this year, and it makes no sense, so I'm leaning towards coasting. But they also haven't played up to par at all against the top teams. It's hard to say. I'll reserve judgment til after the ASB. Spurs routinely start off slow and gear up towards the end of the season, we can only hope they are trying to pace themselves after a long season/playoffs/grueling finals last year.

Arcadian
01-03-2014, 12:01 AM
We won't really know until March/April

ElNono
01-03-2014, 12:03 AM
The Spurs look somewhat like a combination of both. I think Parker needs rest and I don't know what the fuck Leonard's deal is this season. But from what I've seen, it seems like the Spurs coast in the first 3 quarters and try to wake up and win games in the fourth. It has worked a few times but when you let some teams stay in it like this they get confident and you have scrubs like Shumpert going for career highs. They play extremely complacent most of the time except for the end of quarters/4th quarter. Shit is kind of annoying, it's why the 2nd unit comes in and wrecks shit so often because they, unlike the starters, play with more intensity. It's no coincidence that the Spurs go on runs routinely to end quarters since the 2nd unit is usually out there to end a quarter.

Spurs starting lineup has been bad this year, and it makes no sense, so I'm leaning towards coasting. But they also haven't played up to par at all against the top teams. It's hard to say. I'll reserve judgment til after the ASB. Spurs routinely start off slow and gear up towards the end of the season, we can only hope they are trying to pace themselves after a long season/playoffs/grueling finals last year.

The bench has guys on short deals/hungry to show what they can do... Makes sense the intensity is fairly high for them. Mostly agree with your assessment.

Chinook
01-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but Duncan is part of the reason the spacing is poor (Leonard is the other part).

Two lesser discussed, but major issues in their own right: 1) The vanilla offense. They're freelancing more than I can ever remember and when they do run a play (not counting ato's), it's generally one of the same few. 2) From somewhere around the mid point last season on, their three point defense has to be on the short list of worst in the league.

Agree on both counts. For 1, it's the reason why Leonard and Green lack touches with the starters. 2 was something Harlem touched on in his thread. Splitter and Duncan are horrible at defending the three as a duo, while Hreen and Leonard are elite. Pop picking the former duo over the latter explains why the three-point shooting has been hurting the team even more recently.

Chinook
01-03-2014, 12:05 AM
And indeed. Duncan needs to get out of the post. He's killing the offense by doing that when Splitter is also on the court.

Holden_Caulfield
01-03-2014, 12:07 AM
lol losing to the knicks. still coasting though.

TXstbobcat
01-03-2014, 12:48 AM
I missed the game tonight. How in the hell did the spurs loose at home to the Knicks tonight??????

Sean Cagney
01-03-2014, 12:49 AM
We won't really know until March/April

Yep, this is about the just of it.

xtremesteven33
01-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Lack of focus it looks like. Spurs probably partied like crazy New Years Eve and enjoyed the hell out of having the night off last night too.

Hoops Czar
01-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Both. Coasting because they continue to play down to the level of inferior opponents and are star-struck when they actually play a credible team. It's getting quite bothersome to see. Broken because both Leonard and Green have seemed to lose a bit of their confidence while Parker is simply slow. I'm just glad that no one has gotten injured yet.

The Spurs are starstruck by teams like OKC, portland, Houston and Indiana? Who represented the WC in the NBA finals last year? I can tell you one thing, nobody's starstruck by playing the Spurs. They've been getting kicked in the teeth for about a month now and they haven't shown the ability to bounce back.

PlayNando
01-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Tony Parker has broken the team for now tbh.

PlayNando
01-03-2014, 03:39 AM
I think the realization that Tony Parker is a Nazi has strained relations within the team, tbh. The Spurs do a good job of keeping these things under wraps, but it's clear that the team's chemistry is shot and Partner's fanaticism (plus his tendency to fk other teammates' wives) is costing the team.

apalisoc_9
01-03-2014, 03:43 AM
I think the realization that Tony Parker is a Nazi has strained relations within the team, tbh. The Spurs do a good job of keeping these things under wraps, but it's clear that the team's chemistry is shot and Partner's fanaticism (plus his tendency to fk other teammates' wives) is costing the team.

Dude you act like argentinans don't hate jews...:lol

sexinthatsx
01-03-2014, 04:04 AM
:lol at your sig.

Pretty much what Knicks did to the Spurs tonight.

Black guy taunting at first, gets knocked the fuck out and gets all confused at the situation. :lmao

haha yeah that's Anderson Silva getting knocked out. The latest rematch wasn't as pretty though, he literally broke his shin kicking the opponent... like Shaun Livingston style

polandprzem
01-03-2014, 05:31 AM
Spurs seems like trying but there is nothing they can do to prevent from losing a game.

Bruno
01-03-2014, 06:07 AM

I guess it's time to retire this troll. Just too much shitty posts and brings nothing to the board.

You're welcome to use your main account if you want to post again here.

Enough is enough.

Robz4000
01-03-2014, 06:24 AM
RIP PlayNando

timmy2003
01-03-2014, 11:43 AM
I think they are better than 2010.

Brazil
01-03-2014, 11:48 AM
no coasting or broken imho

Parker is just gassed, he is the thermometer of this team. He started the season decently well on the wave of the Euro... he is paying now his long summer and it won't improve if he is not rested. worst is to come.

Brazil
01-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I guess it's time to retire this troll. Just too much shitty posts and brings nothing to the board.

Enough is enough.

http://www.peteykins.com/sparklepony/GravePee.jpg

bklynspursfan
01-03-2014, 01:57 PM
combination of both. and frankly, I'm totally fine with it happening now. (assuming things turn around of course) It'd be cool to see them get it going during the RRT and really hit their stride after the all star break. Obviously we won't go on a 27 game winning streak like Miami did, but I mean you saw how they flipped the switch last year. Pop is still tinkering with stuff it's fairly obvious (like playing with the starting lineup, rotations, etc..) People see it as wtf is wrong with Pop, but it really seems like he's trying to see what will work best when it matters most.

We saw our defense really sharp to start the season but our offense was bad. Lately, our offense has been much better but our defense has taken a hit. So it's not out of the question to think we get it going on both ends later in the season once we figure out which personnel works best in what situations. The season has always been a marathon not a sprint, and this year is no different.

It's easy to get frustrated and go crazy after each loss analyzing every bad move or questionable decision Pop makes, but his vision is a little different than most of ours. I do hope that soon he rests Parker for several games soon. I think he is clearly fatigued from everything last year both physically & mentally probably.

DJB
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
It's January 3rd.

ManuTastic
01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
I know we turned into a volume-shooting, average-defense team years ago, but it looks like the defense has become crappy, not even average. Probably starting Green instead of Beli would help, but Danny is shooting so poorly now it's painful. And I don't know where Parker's head is right now. Good to see decent Manu instead of tired Manu this year.

mingus
01-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Defensively, primarily on the perimeter, the intensity isn't where it was last year, and it's everyone. Feet aren't moving as quickly and hands aren't as disruptive. Guys aren't getting out to three-point shooters fast enough and they're letting players get into the paint at will.

Offensively Tony is trying to force things too much. Hes gone away from his mid-range game (which was stellar last year) instead trying to force his way to the basket when it's not there. Kawhi isn't hitting his threes at a high enough rate and Duncan's shot is inconsistent at best.

Defensively I think the guys are coasting, but offensively I think guys are out of sorts right now.

spurs10
01-03-2014, 03:36 PM
It's hard to say this time of year if they are giving it their all. I'm sure they are pacing themselves. I'm concerned that Manu is taking on too much of responsibility with bringing the aggressiveness. Last thing we need is him getting worn out. I expect some kind of injury at some point. Hopefully something minor that will give him rest. Games like last night will happen when a team with big stars have lost three in a row. They do have some pride I expect.

Hoops Czar
01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
It's January 3rd.

Tommorow's January 4th.

dbreiden83080
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Spurs fans way too used to winning..

r0drig0lac
01-03-2014, 04:38 PM
since the game against the pacers anyone could realize what is broken, this team even with slightly better squad than last season, is not even close to what it was last year, especially defensively

heyheymymy
01-04-2014, 12:07 AM
coasting, you can tell by the body language and the hot start at the beginning of the season.

SpurSwag
01-04-2014, 12:16 AM
The starting line up just needs more energy. They come out like zombies most nights and it really hurts us, our bench is definitely championship worthy and should the starters round into 2012-2013 form, we'll be fine

.G.
01-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Barring significant injuries, I'm confident they'll be fine come Spring. Obviously you never want to see your key players injured, but if there's ever a time for injuries, you'd prefer they happen early in the season.

Several here have noted their lackadaisical demeanor through the first 3 qtrs of games, and on grander scheme, this may end up being the case throughout the remainder of the season. But early on, you have to be encouraged by what you've seen thus far from Belinelli, Mills and ESPECIALLY Boris.

I also agree that at times they do look disinterested, but they'll slowly wake up. Lots of basketball left to be played. And if there's one thing Pop is doing right this season, it's managing minutes and not running these niggas into the ground.

To me, these niggas are still mourning--mainly TD21 & TP9--which I feel may partly explain their nonchalant demeanor early on. They desperately need to get back to the Finals, because honestly, I feel it's now or never for the big 3.

Skull-1
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Enough is enough.

Ouch. I didn't realize he got banned banned.

itzsoweezee
01-04-2014, 01:46 PM
The Marco starting rotation does not make sense.

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Marco is the only guy playing with passion, energy and a chip on his shoulder. His defense isnt great but he actually cares and shows it. Think pop realizes they need that in the starting lineup.

Green is vastly overrated

Mikeanaro
01-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Marco is the only guy playing with passion, energy and a chip on his shoulder. His defense isnt great but he actually cares and shows it. Think pop realizes they need that in the starting lineup.

Green is vastly overrated
I guess most times the best players are the starters, following that principle Marco should be the starter, not the big lipped dork.

Spurs da champs
01-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Bent, I'm not willing to say broken yet, & I'm defiantly not gonna say fake wisdom "coasting" BS. Simple adjustments can really right the ship, moving Splitter to bench, starting Diaw, & getting Kawhi the ball more, specifically in the post. He's too good, to be just a system piece.

Godbama
01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Personally I don't think you get to say you're "coasting" unless you're the defending champions, and even then it gets scrutinized as at least 50% bullshit. People are already questioning the Miami Heat's defense and LeBron's output, even the defending champions barely get away with the "coasting" label, there's no way anyone else can use it even a slight bit.
We don't get to talk about "coasting" when we haven't won a championship since 2007. I don't mean that to be defeatist or emo or ungrateful for the awesome time I've had as a Spurs fan even enjoying the thrill and the ride of last year despite how it ended or mean to be gloomy about our chances this early on or unrealistically expecting things. I'm just sayin'. Saying you're coasting for the post-season seems flimsy even when the defending champions say it, let alone any other team.

RD2191
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Bama dropping truth nukes.

ElNono
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Personally I don't think you get to say you're "coasting" unless you're the defending champions, and even then it gets scrutinized as at least 50% bullshit. People are already questioning the Miami Heat's defense and LeBron's output, even the defending champions barely get away with the "coasting" label, there's no way anyone else can use it even a slight bit.
We don't get to talk about "coasting" when we haven't won a championship since 2007. I don't mean that to be defeatist or emo or ungrateful for the awesome time I've had as a Spurs fan even enjoying the thrill and the ride of last year despite how it ended or mean to be gloomy about our chances this early on or unrealistically expecting things. I'm just sayin'. Saying you're coasting for the post-season seems flimsy even when the defending champions say it, let alone any other team.

Call it whatever you want... coasting, big-picture, resting, etc etc etc... this team has done it plenty of times, and it's something the coach even implicitly advocates by resting players no matter who they're playing (the defending champs last season, no less).
Don't particularly think they're any less "hungry" because of it, I just think it's a byproduct of having your top players with many miles and that have traveled the long road before. Ultimately, Pop has said it doesn't guarantees anything, they just think it's the most sensible course of action given their experience.

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Call it whatever you want... coasting, big-picture, resting, etc etc etc... this team has done it plenty of times, and it's something the coach even implicitly advocates by resting players no matter who they're playing (the defending champs last season, no less).
Don't particularly think they're any less "hungry" because of it, I just think it's a byproduct of having your top players with many miles and that have traveled the long road before. Ultimately, Pop has said it doesn't guarantees anything, they just think it's the most sensible course of action given their experience.

The trouble is they havent been resting players this season at all, well not as much as they have been in the past even after back to backs. It's as if Pop knows they need all those minutes for something or he cares about winning these meaningless regular season games.

Someone needs to step up on this team or trade for someone who will.

JR3
01-04-2014, 08:40 PM
I picked coasting but it doesn't mean that we don't have weak areas that could be addressed with a trade. It just means we could play a lot better with our current roster and these guys know how to do it and are just not that into it yet.

Horse
01-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Pop has publicly stated he will experiment at the cost of a few regular season wins. Do you know how hard it is to get up for any regular season game when you were 28 sec away from a championship? Remember last year they were horrible the last like 10 games then what happened?

ElNono
01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
The trouble is they havent been resting players this season at all, well not as much as they have been in the past even after back to backs. It's as if Pop knows they need all those minutes for something or he cares about winning these meaningless regular season games.

Someone needs to step up on this team or trade for someone who will.

I think full blown rest have a lot to do with how the players are feeling... dinged up, etc... minutes are being constantly monitored though. TP specifically is playing about 2-3 less mpg than last season, the lowest since his rookie season.

Bruno
01-05-2014, 01:58 PM
The poll should be HOYA or BAMA.

DesignatedT
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Philadelphia beat Portland in Portland last night btw fwiw

Pako
01-06-2014, 01:18 PM

therealtruth
01-06-2014, 10:42 PM
The regular season is a chance to work on your weaknesses. Instead the Spurs use it as a chance to excel at their strengths. That's not going to help your chances of winning in the playoffs. We know are weaknesses. Athletic and good defensive teams. It doesn't matter how many times we beat the Wizards if we're not working on our weaknesses.

playbonner15
11-10-2018, 06:50 AM
This team is coasting right now, right?

Bad Takes
11-10-2018, 12:01 PM
To me, it's not even a question. Coasting is when there's nothing fundamentally different from the previous season and the players are clearly just pacing themselves. Every once in a while, against credible opposition, they let everyone know it. Broken is a when a lineup that once had success is flat out no longer capable of playing together on both sides of the ball and when your two best players take a giant step back.

I guess most times the best players are the starters, following that principle Marco should be the starter, not the big lipped dork.

Anyhow, I've said this alot over the past few years. These group of guys have stayed together long enough. Now they're complacent and just plain lazy.

Time to move some pieces around. Duncan has like 2 years left, lets not dick around and waste them with this pathetic unit.

Ouch

TDomination
11-10-2018, 12:18 PM
The 2013-14 Spurs were one of the best teams ever, BUT that team didn't really wake up until Game 7 against the Mavericks. Then it was on!

The team took care of business during the regular season. #1 Overall. But i'm sure they coasted on quite a few games. They were good enough to do so.

bklynspursfan
11-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Ouch

Spurs talk in a nutshell. The most dramatic , unrealistic fans around.

BD24
11-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Fucking idiot :lol

My nigga Rob with some terrible fucking takes in here as well :lol

Chinook
11-10-2018, 02:35 PM
The 2013-14 Spurs were one of the best teams ever, BUT that team didn't really wake up until Game 7 against the Mavericks. Then it was on!

The team took care of business during the regular season. #1 Overall. But i'm sure they coasted on quite a few games. They were good enough to do so.

Yeah, people think 2014 and 2015 were more different than they were. But SA could have messed up and lost in the first round. By the time Game Six against OKC rolled around, the team was locked in (mainly because Diaw was about to have his finest hour). But they had their ups and downs that year. 2015 was seriously just an Splitter injury away from them making another run. Parker also declined, but Leonard's star was rising. Green shook himself out of his funk by the end of that LAC series, and Tim was playing well. Patty was also not bad. 2015 had a really weak West. The Cavs without Love and Irving were a really weak Finals match-up. Yes, the Spurs were older and has less left in the tank, but they wouldn't have needed as much.

Back to the point, it's easy to laugh at this thread now, but had SA lost that Game Seven that year, you would have heard people act like it was inevitable from the start, just like they do about 2015.

Leetonidas
11-10-2018, 02:54 PM

:smokin
at least I didnt say we had the worst team since 09 :lol

RC_Drunkford
11-10-2018, 02:58 PM
This 2018 team is probably the worst Spurs team since 2011

Arcadian
11-10-2018, 04:04 PM
'11 was a great regular season, just a horrible playoff. That was when Manu broke his elbow. But '11 was the start of the Spurs resurgence.

Play Boban
11-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Ouch
:lol Good find tbh.

YGWHI
11-10-2018, 06:22 PM
This team is coasting right now, right?

Indubitab...Sorry. :D

I say YES! We should learn not to overeact after just some loss against the Heat early in the season.

YGWHI
11-10-2018, 06:26 PM
The Marco starting rotation does not make sense.

Poor Marco but still true. After 4 years is valid.

(My best to give you Belli, your first 30 pts game of the season tonight vs Rockets.)

Leetonidas
11-10-2018, 06:27 PM
This 2018 team is probably the worst Spurs team since 2011

That 2011 team was 50-9 at one point iirc...considering the end game for any team is to get beat by GS I'd take 2011 regular season all day tbh

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2018, 06:50 PM
:smokin
at least I didnt say we had the worst team since 09 :lol

Spurs looked like shit at that point if the season tbh and we’re losing to all the elite teams

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2018, 06:51 PM
That 2011 team was 50-9 at one point iirc...considering the end game for any team is to get beat by GS I'd take 2011 regular season all day tbh

They were always a fool’s gold team, probably most disrespected top seed in the west of the decade

JPB
11-10-2018, 07:06 PM
https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/attachments/internet-jpg.847/

anon
11-10-2018, 07:10 PM
It's difficult to say the Spurs are coasting with a straight face when the two franchise players are leading the league in mpg.

Leetonidas
11-10-2018, 08:25 PM
They were always a fool’s gold team, probably most disrespected top seed in the west of the decade

Revisionist history... Yeah Memphis wanted to play us because they matched up well in the RS but no one was really "disrespecting" SA in the media and spurs were favored going into that series. If Manu hadn't broken his elbow in the last game of the RS spurs win that series Imo. Manu was our best player that year by far

Leetonidas
11-10-2018, 08:26 PM
It's difficult to say the Spurs are coasting with a straight face when the two franchise players are leading the league in mpg.

This thread is from four years ago :lol

playbonner15
11-10-2018, 10:02 PM
:lol

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Revisionist history... Yeah Memphis wanted to play us because they matched up well in the RS but no one was really "disrespecting" SA in the media and spurs were favored going into that series. If Manu hadn't broken his elbow in the last game of the RS spurs win that series Imo. Manu was our best player that year by far

NO ONE had the Spurs winning the title. Not revisionist history at all. Maybe your memory is foggy for that season but they were massively disrespected as a top seed. Nobody took them seriously. They were great offensively but it never felt like their game was going to translate to the playoffs.

Mikeanaro
11-11-2018, 12:21 AM
Ouch
So Bad Troll, 2014 won the ring because of Donnie Groin? is he still around???

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Stop bumping my epic shit takes.

illusioNtEk
11-11-2018, 12:33 AM
Coasting and trying to find lineups

RC_Drunkford
11-11-2018, 12:36 AM
'11 was a great regular season, just a horrible playoff. That was when Manu broke his elbow. But '11 was the start of the Spurs resurgence.

I know, I just didn't have the time to research when exactly our roster was that bad. Then again we haven't seen everybody healthy yet, so who knows. I just know from 2012 to 2017 we were in the title hunt and a legit contender.

anon
11-11-2018, 01:38 AM
I saw open poll and I voted, only after did the date hit me :lol
Statement still stands tho.

Bad Takes
11-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Barring Lucking Into A Superstar In Draft, Spurs Will Be A Treadmill Team Until Pop/Buford Retire

JeffDuncan
11-13-2018, 09:59 PM
I don't see why something that's broken can't coast.

Why can't a broken thing coast?

ElNono
11-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Coasting...

Coach X
11-14-2018, 04:08 AM
I think they're pushing. White, Gay, Gasol injured. Newcomers adapting. It's a work in progress.

Let's wait for two/three weeks of complete roster availability (not speaking about Murray nor even Walker) and then we will be in a better position to make a fair assessment of the situation. I hope this happens before Christmas.

Bad Takes
12-23-2018, 08:48 PM
I Hate To Be That Guy

TD 21
12-23-2018, 08:52 PM
It's not like the Ibaka injury played a part in the outcome or anything . . .

Chinook
12-24-2018, 11:29 AM
It's not like the Ibaka injury played a part in the outcome or anything . . .

It's not.