PDA

View Full Version : Pop blames others

MinuteByMinuteSports
01-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I have noticed that Pop takes no responsibility for the loss tonight. He tends to blame the team, calling the loss "embarrassing" and pulled out the "soft" card and in reality its his fault. The bench was doing well and Spurs were up by 9 points and what does he do? Take them out and bring Timmy and TP back, knowing Duncan has struggled tonight but Pop still thinks he's 20 year's old. Tony turned it into the "Tony and Timmy" show and didn't pass the ball out. It seemed TP went hero-mode again and didn't want to be outshined by Marco. I noticed when Tony sits, we play better because our bench shares the ball.

I think the real problem is poor coaching. What's the sense of having Baynes on the roster if you don't play him? Splitter is weak as we all know and Baynes could have been used to bang around with Chandler.

Pop goes to Timmy too often, but Duncan doesn't have it in him like he use to.

I believe since Danny Green went to LeBron party after the finals, I think James got into his head and planted the seed for him to opt out of his contract and come to Miami. He'd be the perfect replacement for Ray Allen. Maybe they told him to struggle so he'll get benched and eventually off the team. Now that he's got his contract, he doesn't care. Of course he'll make a few threes now and then but hasn't tried like he use to. I mean, Danny has struggled since the season began. Something is up..

lefty
01-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Well we are all blaming TP tonight tbh (except a few ones who shall not be named)

So Pop is not the only one to blame others

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2011/04/tony-parker-beret.jpg

TheGoldStandard
01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I don't think there is a conspiracy, Danny Green is a scrub who outperformed his real talent last year. It happens from time to time all around the league. A lot of this is on Pop, he sets the rotations, he can call time outs and bitch players out who are not playing D, he can call plays from the sideline both offense and defense. The players just don't have fire in them unless they're playing Toronto but it's getting close to mid season and a lot of ball still left to play.

T Park
01-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Minute by minute, FYI, stopped when you dropped "Why have baynes on the roster if you dont play him"

Not one coach ever takes the blame for a loss. Nor should he tonight. They were soft, they were lacksadasical, they played pathetic defense.

This whole bullshit about Danny Green and Lebron horse shit? Jesus christ, just, stop...

timtonymanu
01-03-2014, 12:12 AM
:lol @ that last paragraph about Danny Green.

Stupid.

RD2191
01-03-2014, 12:16 AM
:lol @ that last paragraph about Danny Green.

Stupid.
:lmao

Leetonidas
01-03-2014, 12:25 AM
The Danny Green theory is among the top 5 stupidest things I've ever read on ST in almost 10 years, congrats. It takes some major stupidity to be among those gems :toast

biskvito
01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
the Danny Green conspiracy is so crazy I may just believe it...

DMC
01-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Every team in the league, especially an underachieving stacked one like NY, can beat any other team in the league, especially in January. That's why no team in history ever went winless or undefeated.

There are systemic issues with the team, but they did not cause the loss last night. Had we won by 30, those issues would have still be present only people here would pretend they didn't matter because, hey, we won! There would be game grades and all that where every player got one bump up in grade because of the win. A couple FTs and it's a different outcome so that doesn't change a damn thing about how the game was played.

You cannot play your bench as your starters. You give minutes to starters because they are your franchise players, and especially at home. The home crowd, those who actually pay to watch the games, didn't pay to see Patty Mills and Matt Bonner the entire game. They want to see Tim, Tony and Manu. Sure they want to win but if TTM cannot get it done, the team is done anyhow. Spurs have a great bench, 2nd best in the league if not better, but the Spurs are Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Everyone else is a role player. You have to accept that because that's how it is. Pop isn't going to be building any superstars out of that roster, and I know many of you had high hopes for Leonard, and he's a decent player at times, but he's not ready or able to accept a major role.

cjw
01-03-2014, 11:25 AM
The starters spent a good portion of the fourth on the bench because the bench was playing admirably and the starters played about 10 minutes of the third quarter, trying to scrap their way back into the game. That's why you had guys like Mills out there for extended fourth quarter minutes. I don't blame Pop for trying to see if they could make it a game before expending 35+ minutes out of starters in a relatively meaningless game (see below).

The Spurs aren't going to lose to (teams like) the Knicks or even face them four out of seven times in the playoffs. The list of teams we should actually be scared of is short and the problem with losses like this is home court in the playoffs. Having only 3 at home gives you no room for error in those three games. A top two seed should be the end goal to guarantee two rounds at home. Anything more is gravy, and anything less is a major impediment.

TheGreatYacht
01-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Just admit it. Pop has lost it. Maybe an alcoholic...

Pop - Duncan = Jason Kidd

Most overrated of all time

Tim Duncan = :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Just admit it. Pop has lost it. Maybe an alcoholic...

Pop - Duncan = Jason Kidd

Most overrated of all time

Tim Duncan = :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:
Tim Duncan minus Pop = Kevin Garnett + a ring, maybe 2. Nonetheless, washed up at age 37 instead of dropping 20/20 games

Pop isn't perfect but he's a much better coach than people on this board give him credit for

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Tim Duncan minus Pop = Kevin Garnett + a ring, maybe 2. Nonetheless, washed up at age 37 instead of dropping 20/20 games

Pop isn't perfect but he's a much better coach than people on this board give him credit for

Depends on many factors, 2 different personalities. Tim never chased money and in a bigger market would have had players around him to compliment his abilities not just fit a system.

Pop on the other hand without a cornerstone player might have floated around the league. Spurs went thru several coaches in a short amount of time before Pop and RC showed up.

T Park
01-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Pop is hailed by many in writing, coaching, and playing circles as the best coach in the game, some say top 5 all time. You read the brain dead larvae here and you'd think he was Jim Lynam or John Lucas.

RD2191
01-03-2014, 08:17 PM
What if Bud was actually the brains of the operation and now Pop is being exposed?

01-03-2014, 08:59 PM
What if Bud was actually the brains of the operation and now Pop is being exposed?
The Hawks are playing pretty well, and Bud is getting the most out of that Hawks team, but I doubt it. At most, they equally benefited from each other. If Bud was that smart, he would have been HC.

Sean Cagney
01-03-2014, 11:52 PM

What about PJ leaving after what 07????? I agree maybe Bud as well, maybe ALOT more important than we think and it is showing now. It is possible. Pop has always had some excellent assistants throughout the years.

howbouthemspurs
01-04-2014, 12:04 AM
So many haters on this forum

therealtruth
01-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Pop never blames himself. That's why stuff like game 6 happens.

DMC
01-05-2014, 02:36 AM

I don't think he left before game 6.

james evans
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
like tex and phil?

TheGreatYacht
05-28-2014, 12:04 AM
"They need to play better" :lmao

TheGreatYacht
01-30-2016, 10:58 PM
I can already hear it coming... A reporter will ask him about why he kept LMA in with 2 fouls, he'll shove that question off like a dick and he'll call the team soft