PDA

View Full Version : Empathy vs non empathy

Fabbs
01-03-2014, 06:54 AM
http://lifehacker.com/this-video-explains-the-difference-between-empathy-and-1487494909?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_face book&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Title is "This Video Explains the Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy" but i think it misrepresents what sympathy means. Sympathy can be a good and warm expression. I'd prefer the video be called Difference Between Empathy and Non Empathy.

Smart Ass
01-03-2014, 07:15 AM
I know how you feel.

Thread
01-03-2014, 09:11 AM
[Empathy] is what McVeigh taught the F.B.I. & ATF in OKC.

Now they know.

DMC
01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
They are misusing the term. I have sympathy for the children of St Jude, but I cannot empathize with them because I've never been in that situation. I wouldn't try to show them the silver lining of terminal illness however.

SnakeBoy
01-04-2014, 02:27 AM
I couldn't tolerate the video for too long but that chick seemed way off base. Empathy is a negative and destructive emotion while sympathy is positive and constructive. I had to quit watching when she illustrated the difference as a "bad" sympathetic person offering to give food to someone trapped in a hole while a "good" empathetic person would jump into the hole and experience being trapped also.

Proxy
01-04-2014, 03:19 PM
empathy is negative and destructive? no

someone doesn't need to have a particular experience in order to empathize with it in another person.

but yeah, agreed that the speaker has a biased view on sympathy