PDA

View Full Version : OT: An interesting excerpt from Phil Jackson's book

King Emmanuel
01-03-2014, 08:45 AM
As we prepared for the playoffs, I thought it might be a useful for the players to have a refresher course on selfless basketball, but this time from a different perspective – that of the Buddha. So I devoted one of our practice sessions to talking about the Buddha's thinking and how it applies to basketball. I probably lost some of the players early on, but if nothing else, the discussion took their minds off the pressure of the upcoming postseason.
In a nutshell, the Buddha taught that life is suffering and that the primary cause of our suffering is our desire for things to be different from the way they actually are. One moment, things maybe going our way, and in the next moment they're not. When we try to prolong pleasure or reject pain, we suffer. On the bright side, the Buddha also prescribed a practical way for eliminating craving and unhappiness by following what he called the Noble Eightfold Path. The steps were right view, right thinking, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration.
I thought the teachings might help explain what we were trying to do as a basketball team.

1. RIGHT VIEW – involves looking at the game as a whole and working together as a team, like fives fingers on a hand.

2. RIGHT THINKING – means seeing yourself as part of a system rather than as your own one-man band. It also implies going into each game with the intention of being intimately involved with what's happening to the whole team because you're integrally connected to everyone on it.

3. RIGHT SPEECH – has two components. One is about talking positively to yourself throughout the game and not getting lost in aimless back talk („I hate the ref,“ „I'm going to get back at that bastard“). The second is about controlling what you say when you're talking with others, especially your teammates, and focusing on giving them positive feedback.

4. RIGHT ACTION – suggests making moves that are appropriate to what is happening on the floor instead of repeatedly showboating or acting in ways that disrupt team harmony.

5. RIGHT LIVELIHOOD – is about having respect for the work you do and using it to heal the community rather than to simply polish your ego. Be humble. You are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to do something that's really simple. And fun.

6. RIGHT EFFORT – means being unselfish and exerting the right amount of energy to get the job done. Tex Winter says that there's no substitute for hustle, and my addendum is, if you don't hustle, you'll get benched.

7. RIGHT MINDFULNESS – involves coming to every game with a clear understanding of our plan of attack, including what to expect from our opponents. It also implies playing with the precision, making the right moves at the right times, and maintaining constant awareness throughout the game, whether you are on the floor or on the bench.

8. RIGHT CONCENTRATION – is about staying focused on what you are doing at any given moment and not obsessing about mistakes you've made in the past or bad things that may happen in the future.

:tu nice, all of that describes Kobe very well

Thread
01-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Though it was Kobe that gave Phil another chance when Phil shuffled in asking for a hand down hat-in-hand.

Bynumite
01-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Phil wouldn't have subbed out JimPERIOD

Pop was showing off, trying to steal the cuck's shine. He's a selfish senile old fool and cost you number 5.

Thread
01-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Pop was showing off, trying to steal the cuck's shine. He's a selfish senile old fool and cost you number 5.

Exactly, Mites. Though I don't think he's senile, but, you're absolutely correct on the "selfish" part.

Then afterward humping everybody's leg like he wants instant forgiveness for being an old fool and selfish and costing everybody number 5.

Sportcamper
01-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Phil wouldn't have subbed out TD PERIOD...Pop was showing off, trying to steal TD's shine... He's a selfish senile old fool and cost you number 5.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1203775/thumbs/s-TIM-DUNCAN-SAD-large.jpg?6
Memo to Pop…The game is about the players not the coach…

Killakobe81
01-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Let me just say I respect Phil he helped bring us 5 titles ...
But his EGO is just as ridiculous as Kobe's
And it doesnt get enough press on here or LG but he absolutely ran off Jerry West in a manner similar to what Kobe did Shaq.
If you you abhor Kobe for the latter Phil absolutely should get skewered for the former ...but again the media protects PJ.
He is funny, great with the press bangs the boss's wife ... but he ABSOLUTELY was part of the drama between Shaq/Kobe with shaq even calling him out for it and West complaining Phil did not do enough to nip it.
I get he Looks like Colonel Sanders or your grandpa ... but his ego helped us plenty but also hurt us at times as well.

Again love Phil but the free pass he gets I find to be hilarious.
But he is the best trollin' coach and winner in NBA history.
Prior to 2009-2010 i preferred Riles ... heck I still preferred Pop. But PJ won me over that was not a all-time great team at least compared to any of his 3peats ...but he got the most out of them the sign of a truly great coach.

DMC
01-03-2014, 09:39 AM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1203775/thumbs/s-TIM-DUNCAN-SAD-large.jpg?6
Memo to Pop…The game is about the players not the coach…

The game is about the fans. Otherwise everyone is flipping burgers.

irishock
01-03-2014, 10:09 AM
he absolutely ran off Jerry West in a manner similar to what Kobe did Shaq.

Subsequently setting up the Pau deal and 5-4 Kobe over TD. Eat it up Kobestans

Thread
01-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Though Pau can't win a single playoff game unless Kobe is holding his hand.

Thread
01-03-2014, 10:18 AM
The game is about the fans. Otherwise everyone is flipping burgers.

Yes. But, Media can't go there. Then they're shit on the shingle. Only time we're of import is when the organizations need a new arena. Then they send their Media dogs out to pass the hat and Fan is worthy. Otherwise we're beneath contempt.

DMC
01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Yes. But, Media can't go there. Then they're shit on the shingle. Only time we're of import is when the organizations need a new arena. Then they send their Media dogs out to pass the hat and Fan is worthy. Otherwise we're beneath contempt.

Fuk yo team, clown.

Killakobe81
01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Jerry (west) did Buss a solid ... he would rather not of helped Phil ... who actually barred West the logo from his locker-room ...did he also write about that in his book?
Or how his banging of Jeanie and contempt for the FO (similar to his parting with the jerrys in chicago) is part of the rift in the Buss sibling family dynamics.?:lol
Again remarkable coach, but a first class asshole ...but again I dont mind that stuff. As long as he wins ... Ill take every big ego asshole.
But he obviously casts himself in a bright light while throwing shots at others he feels are beneath him ...and the media and fans lap it up.
Because he is a proven winner which cleanses all ...

Thread
01-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Fuk yo team, clown.

Good morning, angel.

UZER
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Cant disagree with this.

DMC
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Good morning, angel.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-28666-damn-good-coffee-gif-Pulp-Fict-tYMv.gif

jack sommerset
01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
"I probably lost some of the players early on, but if nothing else, the discussion took their minds off the pressure of the upcoming postseason."

These guys are under some big time pressures especially the players he coached. They were expected to win. By talking Zen it did take focus/stress off the daily grind of winning. I imagine Phil bored the stress right out of them. I'm sure they even learned a little about life along the way. God bless

DMC
01-03-2014, 11:03 AM
"I probably lost some of the players early on, but if nothing else, the discussion took their minds off the pressure of the upcoming postseason."

These guys are under some big time pressures especially the players he coached. They were expected to win. By talking Zen it did take focus/stress off the daily grind of winning. I imagine Phil bored the stress right out of them. I'm sure they even learned a little about life along the way. God bless
Then they went out and rapedPERIOD

Thread
01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Then they went out and rapedPERIOD

You've nary room. Your Neal raped as well.

DMC
01-03-2014, 12:06 PM
You've nary room. Your Neal raped as well.

You mean that guy on the Bucks?

Thread
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
You mean that guy on the Bucks?

Yep, that's the one.

DMC
01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Yep, that's the one.

What's he got to do with us? We don't take cradle to grave responsibility for everyone who comes through SA, and you've not been tasked with explaining Daddy's antics outside of LA.

I realize it's all you got, but we have no rapists on our squad.

Thread
01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
What's he got to do with us? We don't take cradle to grave responsibility for everyone who comes through SA, and you've not been tasked with explaining Daddy's antics outside of LA.

I realize it's all you got, but we have no rapists on our squad.

You hired a rapist and you're living with it. And that's just the way it's gonna be.

Rogue
01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
dude forgot to mention "right choice": only select the most stacked teams to coach.