PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: 'Bowie Over Jordan': A New Look At The Pick That Still Haunts Portland NBA Fans

fevertrees
01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/20/167677752/film-bad-legs-hindered-bowies-time-in-portland

In 1984, the Portland Trail Blazers chose Sam Bowie, a 7-foot-1 center from the University of Kentucky, with the second pick in the college draft. The Chicago Bulls then took Michael Jordan.

The words "Bowie over Jordan" are part of pro basketball lore, and are still a source of pain for many fans of the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers. Bowie's tenure in Portland was marred by leg injuries; Jordan became a legend. ESPN recounts it all in a documentary about Bowie on Thursday night.

Moments after he was drafted on June 19, 1984, Bowie did his first TV interview as a Trail Blazer. He thanked his mom for her support, and he said he was ready to go after missing two seasons at Kentucky with a stress fracture in his left shinbone.

"I went up to Portland," Bowie says, "they gave me about a seven-hour physical, they didn't let anything out, so as far as I'm concerned. I'm 100 percent sound."

But now, Bowie himself calls into question just how "100 percent sound" he was.

In ESPN's documentary, Going Big, Bowie recounts his pre-draft examination by Trail Blazer team doctors: "I can still remember them taking a little mallet, and when they would hit me on my left tibia, 'I don't feel anything,' I would tell them. But deep down inside, it was hurting. If what I did was lying, if what I did was wrong, at the end of the day when you have loved ones that have some needs, I did what any of us would've done."

"I gotta say, um, I'm pissed off. Can I say that? I am," says Kelly Aucoin, 45, who's been a Blazers fan since 1975. "He couldn't have asked for a more forgiving, protective fan base, and then to find out that you were protecting a guy who lied to the people who were making an evaluation, it's a little hard to swallow."

Other Blazers fans think Bowie's words are being blown out of proportion. As does Bowie, who's 51 and lives in Lexington, Ky.

"The thing that people fail to realize is after they gave me that thorough physical, I played in 76 of the 82 games, which obviously indicates that the bone was strong, that there was no tricking of the medical personnel," Bowie says.
NBA commissioner David Stern is flanked by Akeem Olajuwon (right), the No. 1 pick overall by the Houston Rockets, and Sam Bowie, the No. 2 pick overall by the Portland Trail Blazers, at the NBA Draft in New York on June 19, 1984.

NBA commissioner David Stern is flanked by Akeem Olajuwon (right), the No. 1 pick overall by the Houston Rockets, and Sam Bowie, the No. 2 pick overall by the Portland Trail Blazers, at the NBA Draft in New York on June 19, 1984.
Marty Lederhandler/AP

The troubles, Bowie says, started in season two, when a teammate fell on Bowie's leg. Orthopedic surgeon Bob Cook was the Blazers' team doctor who examined Bowie's tibia pre-draft. Cook calls Bowie a man of integrity, someone who didn't lie but instead did what most elite athletes do when talking about injuries.

"For him to say, 'Oh, that doesn't really hurt,' is certainly no indictment of his character," Cook says. "All athletes downplay their status to remain competitive and participate in their sport."

Cook says Bowie was checked so thoroughly that an admission of pain wouldn't have prompted Portland to rethink its draft strategy — which, according to "Dr. Jack" Ramsay, Portland's head coach in 1984, never focused on Michael Jordan. The Blazers, Ramsay says, were well-stocked at Jordan's position. What the team needed was a center who could pass, block shots and run the floor like the willowy kid from Kentucky.

"It made the most sense for us to select Sam Bowie. It was almost a no-brainer," Ramsay says.

Jordan was considered an outstanding player. But the best ever? Who knew? Drafting is an inexact science, like the balky physiology of a 7-foot basketball player.

Bowie was traded by Portland in 1989. He ended up playing 10 years and making good money — certainly not a Michael Jordan career but, Bowie says with conviction, certainly not a bust.

Thread
01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I blame him nary a bit. Kentucky used him to make millions and never gave him a fuckin' dime. How does that feel, Portland?

That's empathy.

Thread
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Though I am flabbergasted that the article does not white wash Ramsay's insistence on drafting Bowie instead of MJ. I'll give Ramsay credit for allowing his truth to come forward here.

Good find, trees.

tlongII
01-03-2014, 05:58 PM
It was the right pick at the time.

Thread
01-03-2014, 06:04 PM
^True, and at least the article wasn't one of those where they try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. That's what I thought when I first saw the thread title, but, I finally looked and it's a grand article after all.

lefty
01-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Good point TBH

They had Clyde at the SG spot, and Bowie was good before the injuries

Ih the Blazers had the 1st pick, they would have picked Olajuwon, especially when you consider he and Clyde played together in College

And the Bulls may have picked Bowie if they had one of the first 2 picks

(still, lol tlong)

01Snake
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Then, history repeats itself and they pick Greg Oden over Kevin Durant.

Blazers = Idiots

Thebesteva
01-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Then, history repeats itself and they pick Greg Oden over Kevin Durant.

Blazers = Idiots

This. Everyone warned them to NOT go with their instincts. Blazers FO is horrific

Thread
01-03-2014, 06:32 PM
This. Everyone warned them to NOT go with their instincts. Blazers FO is horrific

Yes, it's indefensible, but, I'll go anyway:::Durant hasn't been able to affect the game to a championship extent. He's propped up by Media. If that Beverly fellow hadn't been born Westbrook woulda already stormed the castle and taken Durant's cookie, Media be damned.

Thebesteva
01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Yes, it's indefensible, but, I'll go anyway:::Durant hasn't been able to affect the game to a championship extent. He's propped up by Media. If that Beverly fellow hadn't been born Westbrook woulda already stormed the castle and taken Durant's cookie, Media be damned.

I like KD, he has issues and hes no Lebron but hes a Phil Jackson away from being a champion. Which reminds me, when do D'antoni and Kobe leave the Lakers?

baseline bum
01-03-2014, 07:07 PM

CROFL tlong

http://i.imgur.com/uJz4DXT.png

LOL picking a guy #2 after he put up those stats as a 5th year senior.

Thread
01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I like KD, he has issues and hes no Lebron but hes a Phil Jackson away from being a champion. Which reminds me, when do D'antoni and Kobe leave the Lakers?

There's no hurry. Have to see how the money shakes out after the contracts come off. See who we can garner in the off season. We're like everybody else now.

Killakobe81
01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Cant buy that ...Hakem was the right pick at that time. Bowie not so much ...
dont get me wrong Bowie was amazing in the SEC tournament his last year of college I even saw a little young Lew Alcindor to his game ... but the concerns they had ... which prompted the rigorous examination should of been enough to sway the to MJ.Same deal with Durant over Oden. Hopefully they finally learned with Lillard ...

whitemamba
01-04-2014, 01:39 AM
CROFL tlong

http://i.imgur.com/uJz4DXT.png

LOL picking a guy #2 after he put up those stats as a 5th year senior.

http://files.mattgnann.com/files/1/public/hugobanderas.gif

LkrFan
01-04-2014, 01:43 AM
We got Drexler - no need for MJ? No, it fucking wasn't! You ALWAYS take the BPA - regardless of position. Even the Spurs were smart enough to take Tammy despite the Admiral being on their roster. BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA.:rollin :lmao :rollin

lefty
01-04-2014, 01:44 AM
OMFG :lmao

whitemamba
01-04-2014, 01:47 AM
OMFG :lmao

is that gold or what?

AchillesHeel
01-04-2014, 06:03 AM

LOL

ambchang
01-04-2014, 11:10 PM
People make it sound like everybody knew Jordan would be as good as he turned out, but the fact was that nobody knew except a few, like bobby knight.

If people knew, Houston would have picked Jordan even over Hakeem. People have to remember the game in the 80s were very different from now. It was still a big mans game. Jordan and the bulls were pretty much the only team in league history that had a shooting guard led offense with no interior scoring to ever win A championship. Even zeke and dumars had laimbeer and Edwards with Aguirre in the middle, the bulls had grant and Cartwright.

Bowie was a rare talent for a big man would had a little bit of Walton in him. Great defense, fantastic passing, strong rebounding. That said, even if it wasn't for the injuries, Bowie would never have the career of a Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, or Stockton. We are looking at Perkins or Willis type of career.

He wasn't a milicic, but he wasnt going to dominate either. It was a matter of a questuonable front office decision and injuries.