PDA

View Full Version : Should we have kept DJB and singed/traded Splitter?

tholdren
01-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Stats are really similar. DJB has a higher PER this year and equal DWS as Tiago. Much better rebounder and works the offensive glass....

Its going to come down to scoring more points than the opponent, just like every other year. Tiago is worthless against POR (cant defend their best post or score to match Aldridge) and OKC (Ibaka kills him on the boards). Birdman made Tiago his B last year. I dont see why we locked him up, and are keeping him, when he really isnt that much better than DJB or Diaw.

To me, it seems like a lot of money, for a proven detriment on offense, terrible rebounder for height, and zero athleticism. His defense is the only reason (I guess) but against teams we would HAVE to beat (OKC/POR/MIA/IND) he would be of no help.

Trade options/Thoughts?

Mikeanaro
01-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Nando is that you?

cd021
01-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Blair can't defend, Splitter can. We are a top 3 defensive with Duncan and Splitter together. We were middle of the pack with Blair starting.

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Tiago is the better defender and much better than Blair. Shame Tiago will be rendered useless by Pop when we go small ball in the playoffs

tholdren
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Blair can't defend, Splitter can. We are a top 3 defensive with Duncan and Splitter together. We were middle of the pack with Blair starting.

that's the common misconception, I believe. Blair starting (the year McDyess ended up starting the last 15 or so) we were top in the league until that point, I dont believe your last point:

" since 2011-12, with Blair starting (most persistently with TP & TD), the Spurs have gone a gaudy 103-29 (comprising 75% of all Spurs games up to the present), for a win percentage of .780. And during the 44 games in which DeJuan did not start during this stretch, the Spurs have gone a solid but less than stellar 28-16, for a win percentage of .636. Other commentators on that thread suggested that it's more than likely that DJB was just a coincident indicator in this success because his on-court/off-court numbers (among other factors) show that the team actually performs better overall when he is off the court."

Additionally, people speculate about Splitters great defense, however, there are not really any great stats (I have found) that back this up. Additionally, the eye-test (from my perspective) on Splitter is conclusive = HE BLOWS... ha

Mikeanaro
01-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Blair is an undersized center, and a bum, never cared about improving his game developing shots, defending etc.
The last year dude regresed got worse, so no Spurs did fine letting him go.

Brunodf
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
1/10

Sean Cagney
01-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Should not have signed that dude Ayres and tried to get someone else is more like it, Blair was not going to play here so good riddance.

james evans
01-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Tiago is the better defender and much better than Blair. Shame Tiago will be rendered useless by Pop when we go small ball in the playoffs
tigao splitter isn't "much better" than anyone in the league, but Thabeet

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Should not have signed that dude Ayres and tried to get someone else is more like it, Blair was not going to play here so good riddance.

Yes, and asked splitter to take less.

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 02:43 PM
tigao splitter isn't "much better" than anyone in the league, but Thabeet

At least include Ayres on that short list.

james evans
01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
At least include Ayres on that short list.
HELL YEAH!!! ayers is fukin garbage. give me splitter for 40 minutes a game any day than ayers for 5. i agreee

Baam
01-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Who knows... Blair had the potential to be a decent Diaw backup but he was a bit of an headcase, didn't want to stay anyway and looked kinda done physically last year.

Keeping Splitter on the other hand is RJeff all over again, people will justify it with advanced stats or whatever. Bottom line he couldn't even hold the fort for 10min a game in the Finals, you don't reward the worst player in the last two elimination series with a 10M extension... You just don't do it... And if you do you don't include a shitty trade kicker in the deal that make him hard to move... What the fuck where they smoking...

01-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Where we messed up was signing Errors

TheGreatYacht
01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Robin Lopez > Tiago Charmin Splitter

Juggity
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Blair is one of the five least valuable centers in the league and he made the spurs a fool's gold team when he was here.

Splitter, for all his offensive troubles, is a top interior defender when playing next to tim.

This isn't even debatable.

KaiRMD1
01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Dejuan cannot defends bigs, he is far worse on defense then Tiago so the ol' brazilian sport is the lesser of two evils in reality

T Park
01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I see no reason to have singed Tiago splitter. Burning him solves nothing.

Darkwaters
01-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Stats are really similar. DJB has a higher PER this year and equal DWS as Tiago. Much better rebounder and works the offensive glass....

Its going to come down to scoring more points than the opponent, just like every other year. Tiago is worthless against POR (cant defend their best post or score to match Aldridge) and OKC (Ibaka kills him on the boards). Birdman made Tiago his B last year. I dont see why we locked him up, and are keeping him, when he really isnt that much better than DJB or Diaw.

To me, it seems like a lot of money, for a proven detriment on offense, terrible rebounder for height, and zero athleticism. His defense is the only reason (I guess) but against teams we would HAVE to beat (OKC/POR/MIA/IND) he would be of no help.

Trade options/Thoughts?

No.

/thread

phxspurfan
01-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Team stats don't compare well, as the years we had Blair starting I think we didn't have Green or Leonard, or now two best wing defenders. So of course we would have gotten lit up from those spots.

That being said, Splitter > Blair for this team. Blair > Splitter for a monkeyballing team like allas.

cd021
01-04-2014, 01:53 AM
that's the common misconception, I believe. Blair starting (the year McDyess ended up starting the last 15 or so) we were top in the league until that point, I dont believe your last point:

" since 2011-12, with Blair starting (most persistently with TP & TD), the Spurs have gone a gaudy 103-29 (comprising 75% of all Spurs games up to the present), for a win percentage of .780. And during the 44 games in which DeJuan did not start during this stretch, the Spurs have gone a solid but less than stellar 28-16, for a win percentage of .636. Other commentators on that thread suggested that it's more than likely that DJB was just a coincident indicator in this success because his on-court/off-court numbers (among other factors) show that the team actually performs better overall when he is off the court."

Additionally, people speculate about Splitters great defense, however, there are not really any great stats (I have found) that back this up. Additionally, the eye-test (from my perspective) on Splitter is conclusive = HE BLOWS... ha

Blairs advanced defensive numbers are actually better than I thought.Splitter had a major impact last season, on the defensive end, not Blair.

Parker-Green-Leonard-Duncan-Diaw-92/100 possessions
Parker-Green-Leonard-Duncan-Splitter-87/100 possessions

the Parker-Green-Leonard-Duncan-Splitter-were 17 points better per 100 possesions than any other lineup the Spurs used in the post season.

cd021
01-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Robin Lopez > Tiago Charmin Splitter

You would rather have a center who is anchoring a defense in the 20's like Robin Lopez

or Splitter who helped the Spurs jump from 13th to 2nd last season and are currently in the top 3 defensively this season?

That being said, I do like Lopez though. He's good on the glass and is a solid player for his contract.

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 02:07 AM
You would rather have a center who is anchoring a defense in the 20's like Robin Lopez

or Splitter who helped the Spurs jump from 13th to 2nd last season and are currently in the top 3 defensively this season?

That being said, I do like Lopez though. He's good on the glass and is a solid player for his contract.

He's getting paid what he's worth and fits in well with Portland.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-04-2014, 04:13 AM
He's getting paid what he's worth and fits in well with Portland.

Yep!

wildchild
01-04-2014, 05:57 AM
Splitter, for all his offensive troubles, is a top interior defender when playing next to tim.

This isn't even debatable.

O: Tiago travels, blows dunks, draws offensive fouls.

D: Solid player

Spurs can live with that.

timmy2003
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Blair is a good offensive player. But unfortunately his height really hurts Spurs on the defensive end.

Skull-1
01-04-2014, 12:56 PM
OP 1/10 fwiw, tbqh, IMHO.

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Yep!

Oh and he's only 25. About as good as splitter, would play better next to Duncan too

Kyuui-Musikq
01-04-2014, 06:29 PM

What I wanna know is why we saw too it that he got a two year deal!

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Spurs wanted to make sure OKC didn't sign him he's the future

tholdren
01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
if Tiago Splitter is the "future" then 1 of 2 things is happening:

1. The Spurs will suck
2. The talent coming in to the league is terrible.

Realistically make a list of starting centers in the league that you would take Tiago ahead of.

tholdren
01-04-2014, 07:15 PM
DeJuan Blair (http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/300-dejuan-blair)
Tiago Splitter (http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/311-tiago-splitter)
Average C (http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/)

Position

Minutes

WP48

POP48

Wins produced

Defensive rebounds

Offensive rebounds

Rebounds

Assists

Turnovers

Blocks

Steals

Fouls

tholdren
01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
one more, which I found interesting. Although the typical BS about Splitter and Blair and height, its interesting that DJB has his best marks at C and TS has his best at PF....

Blair actually kills TS when compared at the C positions, but TS at PF has the best overall stats...

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=300&player_ids%5B%5D=311&season=career

thoughts?

Kyuui-Musikq
01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Spurs wanted to make sure OKC didn't sign him he's the future

Lol!

Kyuui-Musikq
01-04-2014, 07:43 PM
one more, which I found interesting. Although the typical BS about Splitter and Blair and height, its interesting that DJB has his best marks at C and TS has his best at PF....

Blair actually kills TS when compared at the C positions, but TS at PF has the best overall stats...

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=300&player_ids%5B%5D=311&season=career

thoughts?

America is killing Tigres 3-0 in the 49th minute and I gotta grab some beer before the Spurs game starts

No, really though, what year was this that your referencing? I'm assuming it was 2010-2011, right?

Blair just had too many deficiencies. It's disturbing what this says about Tiago if Blair bests him in defensive categories though, I mean really

Skull-1
01-04-2014, 07:44 PM
DeJuan Blair (http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/300-dejuan-blair)
Tiago Splitter (http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/311-tiago-splitter)
Average C (http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/)

Position

Minutes

WP48

POP48

Wins produced

Defensive rebounds

Offensive rebounds

Rebounds

Assists

Turnovers

Blocks

Steals

Fouls

Zzzzzzz.

Splitter first team starter. DJB bench scrub.

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Tiago is the only starter on the team who is earning a big salary who is negated by small lineups and is virtually benched when we play top tier playoff teams

ThaBigFundamental21
01-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Oh and he's only 25. About as good as splitter, would play better next to Duncan too

I would take him for what he is paid over Splitter! With what was left the Spurs could have got another piece.

tholdren
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
America is killing Tigres 3-0 in the 49th minute and I gotta grab some beer before the Spurs game starts

No, really though, what year was this that your referencing? I'm assuming it was 2010-2011, right?

Blair just had too many deficiencies. It's disturbing what this says about Tiago if Blair bests him in defensive categories though, I mean really

no these are CAREER STATS

tholdren
01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Tiago is the only starter on the team who is earning a big salary who is negated by small lineups and is virtually benched when we play top tier playoff teams

because he sucks against decent competition in a series due to his inability to score, rebound, and athleticism. Its like high school basketball. The bigger kids usually win until college, when the athletic kids win.

tholdren
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Zzzzzzz.

Splitter first team starter. DJB bench scrub.

yet blair is a better player statistically?

look, tiago fails the eye test when compared with blair, people point to the stats, which are not there...

RD2191
01-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Would be nicer if CP3 was playing, just can't get excited with him out.

Sean Cagney
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
POP trying to turn some random bum into a project again TBH. He will get resigned too.

therealtruth
01-05-2014, 02:05 AM
yet blair is a better player statistically?

look, tiago fails the eye test when compared with blair, people point to the stats, which are not there...

On offense Blair is slightly better but Splitter is so much better defensively.

tholdren
01-05-2014, 12:31 PM
On offense Blair is slightly better but Splitter is so much better defensively.

So you're telling me that even though Blair is SLIGHTLY better on offense and Tiago is SO MUCH BETTER on defense, blair still has better POP48/WP48/Wins Produced? I cannot see your logic here.

I think a lot of people just assume Tiago is better because that was the move made by FO. Similarly, I think that people assumed McDyess was the answer before Tiago, even though the eye test and the stats were FAILS for Antonio's signing.

therealtruth
01-06-2014, 10:36 PM
So you're telling me that even though Blair is SLIGHTLY better on offense and Tiago is SO MUCH BETTER on defense, blair still has better POP48/WP48/Wins Produced? I cannot see your logic here.

I think a lot of people just assume Tiago is better because that was the move made by FO. Similarly, I think that people assumed McDyess was the answer before Tiago, even though the eye test and the stats were FAILS for Antonio's signing.

The defensive stats don't lie. We're a much better team with Splitter on the floor.

playblair
01-07-2014, 12:34 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/SirNose_2007/timmydatass_zpsa2d143de.png

Harry Callahan
01-07-2014, 08:16 AM
I watched Blair as a starter against the NYK a couple of days ago at a game here in Dallas. The Mavericks got drilled. Their starting center (Dalembert) overslept and missed a shootaround - Blair started as a result. NY had a 14 or 15 point lead at the end of the first and were never seriously threatened.

Blair is such a huge liability defensively, the Mavericks are not a very good team with him in there getting big minutes as a starter.

On top of that, Blair has already lost some of the athletic ability had had just a few years ago when he got to the Spurs. Having no ACLs is a problem and it is catching up to him. He looks to be in decent shape, but he would be best playing 10-12 minutes a game. Blairs offense is pretty limited as well, due to the lack of a jumpshot (Splitter is also limited offensively as well all know).

The Spurs ability to beat teams like Memphis with some regularity now is due in large measure to Tiago.

Dejuan is mad about not getting paid by the Spurs or anyone else with close to a vet's minimum deal for one year. Dejuan will probably have a decent game or two against the Spurs this year.

With Splitter out for a month now, it would have been nice to have Blair fill in for a few weeks. I don't know if Jeff Ayers is worth the Spurs time or money. I guess we will know more about that in the next few weeks.

rascal
01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Neither Blair nor Splitter are any good. The Spurs needed to go in another direction.

TheGreatYacht
04-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Dancing Bear showing why he's better than a 10M screensetter