PDA

View Full Version : Louisville's Charlie Strong to Take Texas' Head Coaching Position

Robz4000
01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
:lol Texas jumping on the black coach bandwagon

DesignatedT
01-04-2014, 01:10 AM
Doesn't that make A&M the joneses?

Juan
01-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Seems like a lukewarm hire at best, but I expect ESPN and the media to play this up as an outstanding hire all around and celebrate that they hired an African-American coach. They'll have the casual fans believing Strong was one of their top 3 choices all along in a few short days.

Vito Corleone
01-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Seems like a lukewarm hire at best, but I expect ESPN and the media to play this up as an outstanding hire all around and celebrate that they hired an African-American coach. They'll have the casual fans believing Strong was one of their top 3 choices all along in a few short days.

How do you know he wasn't?

I believe the AD only interviewed 2 or 3 guys. I'm sure Saban was #1 and likely Jimbo was #2 but who was #3 if not Strong? I personally think strong is a much better coach than Mack was based off of the fact that

1. He is equal to Mack as a recruiter
2. He is a hands on coach, not a CEO
3. He is a successful Defensive coach, so we know that side of the ball is going to just fine.
4. He is a coach that graduates over 90% of his athletes
5. He has national championship experience as a DC with Florida
6. He recruits Florida like a witch
7. He demands accountability from his players, something strongly missing in the Texas program
8. His players love him and will run through a brick wall if he asked them to
9. He is a strong role model to his athletes
10 He made Louisville into a strong program with 2 and 3 star athletes so we know he can develop talent

The fact that he is only 53 means, that if he is successful he will have many years at Texas.

Juan is a closet aggy so no matter who Texas hires he was going to spin it, same with the rest of the aggsy. Fact is, he is an improvement over Mack and that will improve Texas greatly over the next few years.

The Reckoning
01-04-2014, 02:10 AM
retarded thread and replies as expected

DMX7
01-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Louisville is #2 in the nation in defense only behind #1 Florida State.

Strong is nobody's safety pick, he's a top tier coach.

thunderup
01-04-2014, 08:37 AM
:lmao Texas

Kermit
01-04-2014, 09:29 AM
It's a good hire. I'm sure the boosters are acting like the people from Rock Ridge.

RGMCSE
01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm not a longhorn fan and not even an admirer. I like this hiring for Texas for a couple of reasons. He can recruit his ass off and he pulls talent from the south and Florida with ease. His defensive systems have won National titles. I'm actually surprised Florida didn't fire muschamp and Hire strong asap. Strong was taylor made for the Gators. The region is a talent gold mine and the Gators like Texas can recruit some talent on School Loyalty alone. Hell he recruited Teddy Bridgewater from Miami and took him to the sticks in fucking Louisville. This could be a nice turn around for Texas.

Floyd Pacquiao
01-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Wow a black coach? Better hope he brings in elite white assistant's/OC to do all the heavy lifting, tbh.

The Reckoning
01-04-2014, 06:19 PM
:cry he's getting cold feet because he has a white wife :cry

LoneStarState'sPride
01-05-2014, 01:01 AM
Solid hire.

Hope Sumlin kicks his black ass, though.

DMX7
01-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Solid hire.

I hope he kicks Sumlin's black ass. :lol

DesignatedT
01-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Solid hire.

:lol

tlongII
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Good hire. He did really well at Louisville.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-05-2014, 05:10 PM
I hope he kicks Sumlin's black ass. :lol

ginobili's bald spot
01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
This is a really good hire. Not sure why anyone who follows cfb would think otherwise. Good for UT hiring a quality young up and coming coach who can recruit his ass off instead of some retread coach just because they have a known name to satisfy the uneducated masses.

DMX7
01-05-2014, 06:45 PM
...instead of some retread coach just because they have a known name to satisfy the uneducated masses.

That's basically what Jim Mora Jr. or Art Briles would have been.

Blake
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
This is a really good hire. Not sure why anyone who follows cfb would think otherwise. Good for UT hiring a quality young up and coming coach who can recruit his ass off instead of some retread coach just because they have a known name to satisfy the uneducated masses.

Excellent Xs and Os coach obviously.

The question is will he be able to find time to coach at all?

Kermit
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Excellent Xs and Os coach obviously.

The question is will he be able to find time to coach at all?

Of course he will. You really think that he's going to adhere to the Mack Brown School of Media Douchebaggery?

Blake
01-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Of course he will. You really think that he's going to adhere to the Mack Brown School of Media Douchebaggery?

Dunno if he has a choice in the matter. The LHN made some pretty rough demands of Mack; enough to where he publicly complained about it.

Vito Corleone
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
I love that he is referring to his football players as young men and not kids. That was one of my pet peeves with Mack, he treated his players like kids and not like a young man. Actually it's one of the biggest reasons he is no longer the head football coach. It was this exact treatment that would breed the lack of accountability and Pop Warner attitude.

I'm not saying treat the kids like Marines, but a lot closer to a Marine than a 4 year old.

spurs1990
01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Black coaches have been virtually non existent in college football.

It's a long road for Strong and i see him lasting more than 4 years.

If Texas is the best job in the country, can't see how Strong is the best man for the job.

Kermit
01-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Dunno if he has a choice in the matter. The LHN made some pretty rough demands of Mack; enough to where he publicly complained about it.

It's not like he was doing shit anyway.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Dunno if he has a choice in the matter. The LHN made some pretty rough demands of Mack; enough to where he publicly complained about it.Were they really rough or was he being passive aggressive while his team sucked?

Blake
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Were they really rough or was he being passive aggressive while his team sucked?

Some of both would be my guess.

The Reckoning
01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
mack complained that the practices were being aired on LHN so other teams could watch them

Blake
01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Right.

Here's Chip's full article:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1425805

SupremeGuy
01-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Strong was the best UT could do? SMH, tbh.

I guess being the UT head football coach isn't as desirable as the media makes it out to be...

lol @ espn for hitching their wagon to a sick horse

Robz4000
01-11-2014, 05:09 AM
So now that we've had about a week to let things settle, how do UT fans like the hire at this point?

Tbh the more I look at this guy's history I think he'll be able to make the team elite defensively, but offensively he'll make Applewhite's playcalling seem advanced. Luckily he's got a solid QB prospect in Heard coming to town so he might be able to be Bridgewater 2.0 for his offense.

It should also be noted that since he was given the position, several high-level recruits have switched schools and several people with ties to the program including McCombs were outraged by the selection. Its also rumored his coaching staff chosen so far is headscratchingly bad.

Vito Corleone
01-11-2014, 12:53 PM
So now that we've had about a week to let things settle, how do UT fans like the hire at this point?

Tbh the more I look at this guy's history I think he'll be able to make the team elite defensively, but offensively he'll make Applewhite's playcalling seem advanced. Luckily he's got a solid QB prospect in Heard coming to town so he might be able to be Bridgewater 2.0 for his offense.

It should also be noted that since he was given the position, several high-level recruits have switched schools and several people with ties to the program including McCombs were outraged by the selection. Its also rumored his coaching staff chosen so far is headscratchingly bad.

Charlie Strong is a great hire, but if he brings both his coordinators his career at Texas will last about 4 years. I don't really care about Vance Bedford because Charlie is the real genius behind the defense, but if he brings Sean Watson you can bet Texas will get eaten alive by every good defense it faces.

The OC is going to be the biggest hire of his career it will make or break his career at Texas so I hope he goes another direction and doesn't take Sean Watson.

Kermit
01-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Charlie Strong is a great hire, but if he brings both his coordinators his career at Texas will last about 4 years. I don't really care about Vance Bedford because Charlie is the real genius behind the defense, but if he brings Sean Watson you can bet Texas will get eaten alive by every good defense it faces.

The OC is going to be the biggest hire of his career it will make or break his career at Texas so I hope he goes another direction and doesn't take Sean Watson.
Jesus Christ. Step back from the ledge. These pay sites know dick. Just chill. One fucking hire isn't going to sink a coach before he's even had time to sign his own contract. The wrist cutting is getting a bit old.

Vito Corleone
01-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Jesus Christ. Step back from the ledge. These pay sites know dick. Just chill. One fucking hire isn't going to sink a coach before he's even had time to sign his own contract. The wrist cutting is getting a bit old.

It isn't about stepping back from the ledge, if he bring in Sean Watson we will be up shit creek on the offensive side of the ball, plain and simple, I'd rather have Greg Davis over Sean Watson, the guy is a train wreak. Did you see his offense at Colorado and Nebraska? It's not like we have an offensive minded coach, we have a defensive genius but a guy that knows nothing about offense. His plan is to turn everything over to the OC and give him complete autonomy. That will not work with a guy as bad as Sean Watson. In the Big 12 Sean Watson is in way over his head.

If this is the best Strong can do on offense then he will be here for 4 years and he will be gone.

yavozerb
01-11-2014, 02:57 PM
It isn't about stepping back from the ledge, if he bring in Sean Watson we will be up shit creek on the offensive side of the ball, plain and simple, I'd rather have Greg Davis over Sean Watson, the guy is a train wreak. Did you see his offense at Colorado and Nebraska? It's not like we have an offensive minded coach, we have a defensive genius but a guy that knows nothing about offense. His plan is to turn everything over to the OC and give him complete autonomy. That will not work with a guy as bad as Sean Watson. In the Big 12 Sean Watson is in way over his head.

If this is the best Strong can do on offense then he will be here for 4 years and he will be gone.

I think everyone knows how you feel about Sean Watson. Until an OC is named, no need to lose any sleep over this...

symple19
01-11-2014, 03:26 PM
The word 'genius' is getting thrown around way too much, tbh

The Reckoning
01-11-2014, 03:51 PM
i've never seen people so obsessed with a coaching vacancy

symple19
01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
i've never seen people so obsessed with a coaching vacancy

I've seen it for every Auburn coaching change since Pat Dye left Auburn

Biernutz
01-13-2014, 11:56 PM
I don't know a lot about Charlie but he is the head coach now. Looks like Red got a little butt hurt over
the choice. It's not about Charlie being black. Red wanted a big name coach and was willing
to put his money for one. As for Red is a racist, that's the biggest load of crap you will ever hear.
If Charlie would have been the white coach, Red still would have wanted a big name coach instead.
I wish Charlie all the best but he is the head coach of the Texas Longhorns. He is not the black coach, not
a white coach or a minority coach but the Longhorns coach. I will give him a little time but he needs to
start winning right out of the box. There will be a lot of heat to win now because Texas fans demand a winning
team. He is the Texas Longhorns coach...............

rjv
01-14-2014, 12:04 AM
yeah, that whole red is racist crap was ridiculous. dumb ass media was way out of line on that one.

Kermit
01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
yeah, that whole red is racist crap was ridiculous. dumb ass media was way out of line on that one.
We're even more racist now because someone made an unfunny t-shirt.

50 cent
01-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Strong is getting his ass kicked on the recruiting trail, especially by Sumlin.

Clipper Nation
01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Strong is getting his ass kicked on the recruiting trail, especially by Sumlin.

Tbh, he hasn't had a lot of time, and Mack ran the program into the ground before he got there.... when Strong starts winning and all the flashy recruits going to Aggy realize that they're an extremely mediocre program, momentum will flip back to the 'Horns....

Halberto
01-29-2014, 05:44 PM
when Strong starts winning and all the flashy recruits going to Aggy realize that they're an extremely mediocre program, momentum will flip back to the 'Horns....

You're assuming the Aggies are going to hit a sudden decline...

Vito Corleone
01-29-2014, 06:29 PM
You're assuming the Aggies are going to hit a sudden decline...

They are losing their 3 best players on offense and their defense sucks and likely won't be able to carry them for 2 more seasons. I'm pretty sure they will somewhere between 6 to 7 wins next year and that is with a non-conference schedule that UTSA could go undefeated against.

Halberto
01-30-2014, 12:13 AM
They are losing their 3 best players on offense and their defense sucks and likely won't be able to carry them for 2 more seasons. I'm pretty sure they will somewhere between 6 to 7 wins next year and that is with a non-conference schedule that UTSA could go undefeated against.

Don't they have 3 of the top 10 rated recruits? Their soon to be starting QB also has a lot of praise as well. I like the idea that A&M will fade off in a few years while Texas rebounds, but it sounds like a pipedream built on wishful thinking.

Blake
01-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Don't they have 3 of the top 10 rated recruits? Their soon to be starting QB also has a lot of praise as well. I like the idea that A&M will fade off in a few years while Texas rebounds, but it sounds like a pipedream built on wishful thinking.

They'll fade if for no other reason than they're in the same division as Bama, LSU, etc

Clipper Nation
01-30-2014, 01:18 AM
They'll fade because they're Aggy and that's what Aggy does, tbh....

Sisk
01-30-2014, 10:31 PM
They'll fade if for no other reason than they're in the same division as Bama, LSU, etc

Because that has hurt Bama and LSU.

50 cent
01-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Tbh, he hasn't had a lot of time, and Mack ran the program into the ground before he got there.... when Strong starts winning and all the flashy recruits going to Aggy realize that they're an extremely mediocre program, momentum will flip back to the 'Horns....
This is wishful thinking for Longhorn fans because it's the only hope they have left, but it's not going to happen.

With all the talent A&M has brought in, they aren't going to start sucking. Next season could be a little tougher with an 8-4 type of season, but after that, they have recruited well enough that they are going to be damn good.

The 2015 recruiting class is already sick and just got sicker with the committment of Larry Pryor tonight.

Vito Corleone
01-31-2014, 12:58 AM
This is wishful thinking for Longhorn fans because it's the only hope they have left, but it's not going to happen.

With all the talent A&M has brought in, they aren't going to start sucking. Next season could be a little tougher with an 8-4 type of season, but after that, they have recruited well enough that they are going to be damn good.

The 2015 recruiting class is already sick and just got sicker with the committment of Larry Pryor tonight.

Their defense is still going to suck, no Manziel they lose Matthews Evans, and Molina on offense.

They will get four easy non conf wins, and four definate conference losses to LSU, Bama, Auburn, and USC.

The toss up games are Ole Miss, and Missouri, and two likely wins over miss st and Arkansas.
I called 6-6, but maybe 7-5.

Clipper Nation
01-31-2014, 01:18 AM

Aggy's been "stacked" for years now and they consistently disappoint, tbh....

Blake
01-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Because that has hurt Bama and LSU.

http://deadspin.com/5923148/texas-am-made-a-really-sad-video-because-they-just-want-the-sec-to-like-them

rjv
01-31-2014, 12:17 PM
aggies have never had the sort of recruiting success they have recently enjoyed. they have had some pretty decent classes but towards the end of sherman's tenure the classes started fading quickly including the one in 2011 which did turn out to be better because it happened to have evans and manziel in it. the 2010 class was ranked 17th (it was 27th in 2009 and 22nd in 2011) but it turned out to be probably better than expected. while sherman was doing an A+ job on recruiting lineman he failed miserably on the defensive side of the ball, leaving the defense especially vulnerable on the front line. sumlin knew this is where they had to improve and to his credit he has recruited some big time recruits to fill the void. the real measuring stick will come in the 2015 and 2016 seasons because that is when these players will supposedly pay off. it's way to premature to brag but it's also too soon to expect a longer term regression towards the middle of the pack.

Kermit
01-31-2014, 12:38 PM

If Strong does what he came to Texas to do, namely turn around the program, he won't have any problems recruiting. All this chicken little faggotry over this class is stupid. This class was going to suck because Buttertooth Brown shit the bed and quit caring. Charlie knows that he's got to fix the program first, and then recruiting will take care of its self.

Blake
01-31-2014, 12:43 PM
aggies have never had the sort of recruiting success they have recently enjoyed. they have had some pretty decent classes but towards the end of sherman's tenure the classes started fading quickly including the one in 2011 which did turn out to be better because it happened to have evans and manziel in it. the 2010 class was ranked 17th (it was 27th in 2009 and 22nd in 2011) but it turned out to be probably better than expected. while sherman was doing an A+ job on recruiting lineman he failed miserably on the defensive side of the ball, leaving the defense especially vulnerable on the front line. sumlin knew this is where they had to improve and to his credit he has recruited some big time recruits to fill the void. the real measuring stick will come in the 2015 and 2016 seasons because that is when these players will supposedly pay off. it's way to premature to brag but it's also too soon to expect a longer term regression towards the middle of the pack.

Fran pulled in a couple of top ten classes, but nothing like this.

Ags hit a perfect storm of moving to the SEC excitement, Johnny winning the Heisman and a new coach in Sumlin.

Vito Corleone
02-01-2014, 02:22 AM

You obviously know very little about your team

1994 aggie recruiting class was sick #3 in the country. Headlined by Sam Adams.
In 1998 Texas had the #1 class, but aggies had the #3 class.

Sumlin had some great classes so far, but they pale in comparison to some of the classes RC and Slocum brought in.

rjv
02-01-2014, 12:03 PM
You obviously know very little about your team

1994 aggie recruiting class was sick #3 in the country. Headlined by Sam Adams.
In 1998 Texas had the #1 class, but aggies had the #3 class.

Sumlin had some great classes so far, but they pale in comparison to some of the classes RC and Slocum brought in.

1994? Wow! Why not bring up bear bryant while you're at it.

Vito Corleone
02-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Just stating the facts. Again 1998 you had the #3 class. Maybe you should classify what you say to over the last 10 years or something like that. You said "best recruiting ever", I said you were stupid because Aggsy have done very well in the past, in fact better than anything Sumlin has done.

Learn your history before you shoot off your mouth.

Bill_Brasky
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Nobody gives a fuck about anything in the 90's Vito.

Vito Corleone
02-01-2014, 12:32 PM

That is where you are wrong, aggies are not the perfect storm you and them seem to think they are, they are doing well, but I don't see it as a big deal, I've seen them do better and it amount to nothing just like now. In comparison to LSU and Bama they are still on the bottom looking up at their new daddies just like in the Big 12.

Once the shine wares off, you will still see them sitting there with no titles or championships and still looking up at Daddy only difference is they will have an instate daddy in Texas and 3 or 4 conference daddies in the SEC.

If they had stayed in the Big 12 and were doing as well as they are right now, I'd be concerned, but they decided to jump into the SEC so I look at them and laugh because they still want to compare what they are doing to Texas and claim they are great, when they are still looking up at 4 teams in their conference that are doing better than them.

rjv
02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Just stating the facts. Again 1998 you had the #3 class. Maybe you should classify what you say to over the last 10 years or something like that. You said "best recruiting ever", I said you were stupid because Aggsy have done very well in the past, in fact better than anything Sumlin has done.

Learn your history before you shoot off your mouth.

So the real lesson learned here is to be more didactic with those members of ST who belong to the set of: too clueless to grasp relevance or pedantic to the point of being a d-bag. I'm fully aware of the types of teams fielded in 1994 since I happened to be enrolled there at the time. I just assumed I wouldn't have to put the footnote: please try to comprehend the content of my post regarding the potential versus kinetic aspects of recruiting classes because I never would have thought someone would be anal enough to google the last 20 years of aggie recruiting classes just so they could post a response that was off topic.

Vito Corleone
02-01-2014, 12:58 PM
I didn't google anything, I have been following Texas high school football since the early 80's. I saw first hand the classes Sherrill and Slocom pulled in and watched as they did nothing of significance.

leemajors
02-01-2014, 01:16 PM

The Marty Cherry era still makes me cringe tbh

FkLA
02-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Wait so according to Vito A&M will start sucking despite their elite recruiting classes, UT otoh will stop sucking once Strong gets an elite recruiting class of his own. Makes perfect sense tbh.

Vito Corleone
02-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Wait so according to Vito A&M will start sucking despite their elite recruiting classes, UT otoh will stop sucking once Strong gets an elite recruiting class of his own. Makes perfect sense tbh.

See, that is why you are at UTSA, your stupid, now quit taking up bandwidth and go back to your Larry Coker circle Jerk.

thunderup
02-01-2014, 04:47 PM
See, that is why you are at UTSA, your stupid, now quit taking up bandwidth and go back to your Larry Coker circle Jerk.
*you're

FkLA
02-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Vito Corleone
02-01-2014, 05:17 PM
:rollin when you resort to grammar smack; you've lost already.

FkLA
02-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Not a grammar nazi but you should probably check your grammar when you're about to call someone stupid tbh.

irishock
02-01-2014, 05:54 PM
:rollin when you resort to grammar smack; you've lost already.

Well, 'your stupid' is pretty ironic.