PDA

View Full Version : A guide to avoid freaking out about the Spurs in the regular season

Budkin
01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
A good read on PtR by J. Gomez. Helpful for anxious Spurs Talkers like myself tbh...

The regular season is too long. No team or player will remain at peak level for the whole 82 games, which means there will be times along the way when even elite squads look terrible. Those losses along the way don't mean much unless they reveal a fatal flaw. After all, the idea is to survive the marathonic march without injuries, find a rhythm and the ideal rotations for the playoffs and patch up weaknesses. I think we all know that.

But we are also fans, so we can't be expected to be rational about our team. So of course after a meaningless loss there will be those hitting the panic button. Don't get me wrong, there are lessons to learn in the regular season and if a team is not improving, that's a legitimate cause for concern. But more often than not, that pessimistic, panicky voice in our head will try to make us freak out for no reason at all.

Here is how I counter that creeping feeling of doom every time the Spurs don't play to their standards and all hope seems lost:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/1/3/5237476/a-guide-to-avoid-freaking-out-about-the-spurs-in-the-regular-season

RD2191
01-04-2014, 05:49 PM
The Spurs have problems. Terrible offense and defense from the starters.

TheGoldStandard
01-04-2014, 05:56 PM
We started the season on a mission and now look like we are gassed and disinterested. Our defense looks like crap for 3 quarters and our starters can't outscore our bench

Bruno
01-04-2014, 05:58 PM
This kind of articles are just so cocky.

jeebus
01-04-2014, 06:10 PM
I can't stand project spurs and pounding the cock. It's as if the websites are run by the worst gnsfs available.

Budkin
01-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I can't stand project spurs and pounding the cock. It's as if the websites are run by the worst gnsfs available.

:lmao

therealtruth
01-05-2014, 02:12 AM
The Spurs looked horrible at the end of the regular season last year then proceeded to play much better in the playoffs.

Kool Bob Love
01-05-2014, 02:15 AM

LoneStarState'sPride
01-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Great read.

Fully expect it to be shat upon in this forum :lol

CitizenDwayne
01-05-2014, 02:26 AM
I agree with the logic in the guy's basic premise, but the fact is that losses hurt. Some (the Knicks one being one) sting more than others. This is a basic tenet of sports fandom. No amount of rationalization will change that.

SpursRock20
01-05-2014, 02:30 AM
I agree with the logic in the guy's basic premise, but the fact is that losses hurt. Some (the Knicks one being one) sting more than others. This is a basic tenet of sports fandom. No amount of rationalization will change that.
:tu

Fans = Fanatics

Not a whole lot of wiggle room for rationalization.

DMC
01-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Kinda of a "duh".

"losses don't mean much unless they reveal a fatal flaw" or don't worry about it unless you need to worry about it.

So you're supposed to only worry about it in hindsight.

Sean Cagney
01-05-2014, 02:48 AM
The Spurs looked horrible at the end of the regular season last year then proceeded to play much better in the playoffs.

So that will happen every year now?

Robz4000
01-05-2014, 05:04 AM
:lol 90% of PtR articles are such garbage.

Haven't seen it brought up before, but what's STs opinion on 48moh?

Baam
01-05-2014, 05:31 AM

Tynan from 48moh is the biggest Tiago nuthugger on the face of Earth tbh, it's hilarious how pro Pop and pro FO this guy is. Baynes has a good game : "how the FO allowed Baynes to succeed" article or some crap along these lines in between articles like "Splitter for DPOY" or "Ayres steal of summer". It's hilarious, there's zero Pop or FO criticism, it's just not allowed :lol. But then every once in a while Buford or someone will throw them a bone referencing one of their article to thank them for their propaganda. I kinda liked the Asian guy who was on Truhoop during the POs tho.

PtR is decent at times but overall it's walls of text from homers.

Robz4000
01-05-2014, 06:41 AM
Tynan from 48moh is the biggest Tiago nuthugger on the face of Earth tbh, it's hilarious how pro Pop and pro FO this guy is. Baynes has a good game : "how the FO allowed Baynes to succeed" article or some crap along these lines in between articles like "Splitter for DPOY" or "Ayres steal of summer". It's hilarious, there's zero Pop or FO criticism, it's just not allowed :lol. But then every once in a while Buford or someone will throw them a bone referencing one of their article to thank them for their propaganda. I kinda liked the Asian guy who was on Truhoop during the POs tho.

PtR is decent at times but overall it's walls of text from homers.

Tynan is a homer for the most part but McNeil and the other dude can be fairly critical at times. Keep in mind they are sponsored by ESPN and given a somewhat official labeling as the Spurs' blog; if they outright call out the Spurs they'll lose money and whatever perks they have.

jeebus
01-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Eh, I just look at their grades and even those are terrible most of the time. I liked this bit about Ayres from their grades from last night:

"He’s been playing solid defense and rebounding very well, which are the two things he’s truly asked to do."

:lol So solid defense is standing around looking lost and fouling anyone who easily gets by you? ok. And :lol yeah, he rebounded great when surrounded by a bunch of the Clippers' guards; also he's stellar when grabbing a rebound when no one is around but your own teammates.

Then this fool gives Boner a B and freaking Nando an A+. I know it was playful and cute but go fuck yourself.

r0drig0lac
01-05-2014, 12:32 PM
with all due respect, this piece of shit article, what I know is the fact that the Spurs had a slight improvement of the cast and their real opponents VERY well, the rest does not matter

tholdren
01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Tynan is a homer for the most part but McNeil and the other dude can be fairly critical at times. Keep in mind they are sponsored by ESPN and given a somewhat official labeling as the Spurs' blog; if they outright call out the Spurs they'll lose money and whatever perks they have.

it doesnt mean their articles dont suck balls though. I've read the trash on 48moh and its literally like i transported back 30 years and walked into my sisters bedroom when she had a sleepover; all I heard was girls giggling about how great this guy was... PTR/48moh = teenage girls fantasizing about banging guys using equal amounts of logic in their "grading" systems/analysis.

DMC
01-05-2014, 12:59 PM
You have to be a fan in order to start a site dedicated to reporting on one team only. With that comes confirmation bias and slanted reporting. It is what it is. You almost have to take national media over your team's nut huggers, however even national media has nut huggers for larger market teams since that's where they pick up their "talent".

There's a guy who posts videos with game analysis and I've seen his stuff on here posted by someone. He calls himself coach something, young guy. I like his analysis and he doesn't come across as a rah rah type. He doesn't do every game though.

I think if we could sit in on the film sessions, we could know more... probably not going to happen.

tholdren
01-05-2014, 01:19 PM
You have to be a fan in order to start a site dedicated to reporting on one team only. With that comes confirmation bias and slanted reporting. It is what it is. You almost have to take national media over your team's nut huggers, however even national media has nut huggers for larger market teams since that's where they pick up their "talent".

There's a guy who posts videos with game analysis and I've seen his stuff on here posted by someone. He calls himself coach something, young guy. I like his analysis and he doesn't come across as a rah rah type. He doesn't do every game though.

I think if we could sit in on the film sessions, we could know more... probably not going to happen.

You are 100% right in your first paragraph... it is what it is.

01-05-2014, 02:03 PM
The fans expect the Spurs to go 82-0

loss to good team= cliff jump / we can't beat elites

Loss to bad team= melt down

Win= no one cares

exstatic
01-05-2014, 02:42 PM
:tu

Fans = Fanatics

Not a whole lot of wiggle room for rationalization.

exstatic
01-05-2014, 02:43 PM
The fans expect the Spurs to go 82-0

loss to good team= cliff jump / we can't beat elites

Loss to bad team= melt down

Win= no one cares

01-05-2014, 10:35 PM

I think if we could sit in on the film sessions, we could know more... probably not going to happen.BBallBreakdown is his YouTube name. While he slightly bias, he's way better than ESPN analyst.

cd021
01-05-2014, 11:17 PM

PTR is way better IMO.

Mikeanaro
01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Fuck PTR and their over the top positivist shit, as far as I know to them God is a Spur fan, and the devil too.

ElNono
01-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Non-Issue

cjw
01-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Don't forget that 48MOH is ESPN-affiliated and PTR (I think) is SBNation, so they do have to control what they say to keep the big bosses happy. Cannot be overly critical.