PDA

View Full Version : 'Big Dog' wants to be a Buck again

Bruno
08-01-2005, 03:20 AM
http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=1609

By Gery Woelfel

Glenn "Big Dog'' Robinson began his NBA career with the Milwaukee Bucks.
Now he wants to end his career with them.
Robinson, whom the Bucks selected as the No. 1 overall pick in the 1994 draft, is a free agent and able to sign with the team of his choice this summer. Robinson's agent, Dr. Charles Tucker, said his client would welcome the opportunity to rejoin the Bucks.
"Oh, yeah, he would like to do that: Senator (Herb) Kohl and Larry Harris are among his favorite people,'' Tucker said about Kohl, who is the Bucks owner, and Harris, who is the team's general manager. "Glenn liked playing for the Bucks and I know the fans there liked him.''
Robinson was one of the most celebrated players to ever enter the NBA. After being a atar at Purdue, some NBA officials predicted Robinson would become a superstar as a pro. Some went so far to compare him to Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan. But while Robinson never developed into a blue-chip player, he nevertheless has had an excellent career. He was a prolific scorer during his time in Milwaukee and was chosen to the Eastern Conference All-Star teams in 2000 and 2001.
But after eight seasons with the Bucks, Robinson was dealt to Atlanta in 2002 for Toni Kukoc, Leon Smith and a future No. 1 draft choice. Robinson then was dealt to Philadelphia, which dealt him to New Orleans last season. Robinson was then waived by the Hornets and picked up by San Antonio.
Robinson played in nine regular-season games for the Spurs, averaging 10 points and 2.7 rebounds. One of those games was a 9-for-11 shooting and 23-point performance against Memphis. Robinson then appeared in 13 playoff games for the eventual champion Spurs, averaging 3.8 points in 8.7 minutes off the bench. His top playoff showing as a Spurs came against Seattle, when he totaled 16 points in 14 minutes.
Robinson has been plagued by injuries in recent years, but Tucker believes the 32-year-old still has "five good years in him.''
Tucker said Robinson made $12 million last season, but would be willing to take a sizeable cut to play for the Bucks.
"I would take the mid-range,'' said Tucker, referring to a team's mid-level exception of $5 million. "I would consider taking that.''
Tucker said the Spurs, along with three other teams, have expressed interest in signing Robinson. The Bucks seemingly wouldn't need Robinson's services since they already have Desmond Mason, soon-to-be-signed free agent Bobby Simmons and Jiri Welsch available at the small forward position.
Tucker said nobody from the Bucks has contacted him, but that might be because of a misunderstanding.
"The Bucks probably think Glenn's going back to San Antonio,'' Tucker said. "They (the Spurs) want to talk to us. But Gloenn would like playing in Milwaukee again. It's close to his home (Gary, Ind.) and he liked his time in Milwaukee before. He would definitely like to go back there.''

T Park
08-01-2005, 03:21 AM
They (the Spurs) want to talk to us. But Gloenn would like playing in Milwaukee again. It's close to his home (Gary, Ind.) and he liked his time in Milwaukee before. He would definitely like to go back there.''

So in other words.

Yeah they want me back, but no, I want to go to a lottery team.

If true??

Fuck you Robinson.

TheTruth
08-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Not to hate on the dog. But he probably will come out next week and state how much he wants to play for the Hornets (or any other team for that matter).

xcoriate
08-01-2005, 04:10 AM
Dude just wants to play somewhere next season. Can't blame him for looking after his own position. Spurs have nothing but chicken feed left to offer him.

Duncanoypi
08-01-2005, 04:13 AM
sign and trade the Big dog for Desmond Mason...wow!

timvp
08-01-2005, 04:17 AM
What is wrong with what GRob is doing? He knows Milwaukee and probably has a house there. Plus, like the article said, it's close to Gary.

I think what he's doing is fine. Trying to get some millions from the Bucks before signing for the minimum with the Spurs. Anyone of us in here would do the same thing.

Kori Ellis
08-01-2005, 04:18 AM
So in other words.

If true??

Fuck you Robinson.

Pretty harsh. Glenn has already been on record saying that he wants to come back to the Spurs in an article about a week ago. If his agent is looking for the MLE and up, it's not surprising that he won't be a Spur - they don't have that kind of money.

"I probably had the most fun of my NBA career," Robinson said. "I hadn't smiled since I left Milwaukee -- until I went to the San Antonio Spurs. I did prove everybody wrong. I proved I can play defense. That's how I got into the game. I'm not saying I'm Bruce Bowen, a defensive stopper, but I was able to play within the system and that's what it's all about."

At 32, Robinson said he wouldn't mind coming off the bench again on a contending team like the Spurs. On a mediocre or downright lousy team, he'd demand to start. This is, after all, a guy whose career scoring average until last season was 20.8 ppg.

"Tell Pop I'm ready," he said of returning next season.

Better hold that thought.

"The short time Glenn was with us, trying to pick things up, he actually helped us win a few games," Popovich said. "The next week or so, we'll figure out how we're gonna round out our team. Glenn still is somebody we're definitely talking about, but no decision has been made."

That being said, whoever wrote/edited this article needs to try harder next time. Gloenn?

xcoriate
08-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Bucks would be ridiculously stacked at the 3 with Big Dog. I dont see it happening his just trying to get an extra mil or so.

mattyc
08-01-2005, 05:17 AM
He won a ring with us. He'll go back to the Bucks a much better player.

TDMVPDPOY
08-01-2005, 05:25 AM
sign n trade plz, big dog for dmason :D

xcoriate
08-01-2005, 05:31 AM
This is just typical agent talk. I really dont see it as an indication that G-Rob would prefer to be a Buck as apose to a Spur. The problem is what we can offer, and what Big Dog can see himself being offered.

Ginofan
08-01-2005, 08:02 AM
I'd like to have BD back, but he did get his ring last season...he's free to do whatever he wants now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Fuck you Robinson.

My, that didn't take long.

Two words: Agent posturing.

Marcus Bryant
08-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Why must we expect every player to play for the minimum? It's obvious that he's had trouble drawing interest this summer. If the Spurs are lucky they'll be able to get him back for the rest of the MLE for a couple of years.

It wouldn't be surprising if, in a couple of weeks, a GM opts to throw a decent offer Big Dog's way.

spurster
08-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Tucker said Robinson made $12 million last season, but would be willing to take a sizeable cut to play for the Bucks.
"I would take the mid-range,'' said Tucker, referring to a team's mid-level exception of $5 million. "I would consider taking that.''
That's funny. He will be lucky if any team offers him MLE money.

Gummi
08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
There's no team in the NBA that's going to offer Big Dog the MLE. There's a market for a $3 million - $3.5 million offer, but not the MLE. If he wants to come back and sign with us for $2-3 million a year, then I think the front office has to do that.

He's a great asset to have on the bench. With a full training camp and some more time in Pop's system would make him a very valuable player for us this comming season.

Kip Fanatic
08-01-2005, 09:43 AM
His agent is just saying whatever he has to get Glenn as much money as he can. ITs obvious that there are a lot of teams who are kind of hesistant about offerring him a contract because of his past. I'm sure the Spurs have talked to him and may be only willing to offer the minimum. Robinson and his agent may feel they can get more from somewhere else and that's why they say things like they did. Its their job.

picnroll
08-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Bucks are a young team. I'm not sure a few months stint and good behaviour with the Spurs will convince the Milwaukee front office that Big Dog is the veteran leadership that they want around all those kiddies.

TonyMontana
08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
So in other words.

If true??

Fuck you Robinson.

So in other words.

Yeah the series is tied 2-2, but no, You want to give up on your team.

If true??

Fuck you TPark.

Glen can do whatever the fuck he wants to do.
He played hard while here and that is enough.
Goodluck Bigdawg.

King
08-01-2005, 09:58 AM
A guy without a contract would be stupid not to say that about any team.

Jimcs50
08-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree, what is wrong with him wanting to play for the Bucks?

TPark, you need to take another chill pill again.

T Park
08-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Why must we expect every player to play for the minimum?

The rest of the MLE is the minimum???

Another guy whos career is resurrected by the Spurs, and all they ask in return is to resign for the rest of the MLE and this is what they get??

Classic.

Spurminator
08-01-2005, 10:11 AM
You're reading entirely too much into this.

samikeyp
08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
This is just typical agent talk. I really dont see it as an indication that G-Rob would prefer to be a Buck as apose to a Spur. The problem is what we can offer, and what Big Dog can see himself being offered.

Well said. Its not like he said he preferred Milwaukee over SA. If he can get more jack, good for him. If he wants a chance at another ring, he will stay here.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-01-2005, 10:22 AM
When was the last time an agent said that his player didn't want to go to a team? His paycheck is directly linked to how much he can get some NBA team to pay Glenn, so of course he'd say that Glenn wanted to go somewhere that could offer a little more money than the Spurs. If Big Dog comes out and says, "I want to play in Milwaukee," I might actually give a damn.

Spurminator
08-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Sports fans expect their players to say stuff like "The only team I'll play for is the Spurs, and I'm willing to take anything." It defeats the whole purpose of Free Agency, but it makes us feel tingly inside.

Notorious H.O.P.
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM

Another guy whos career is resurrected by the Spurs, and all they ask in return is to resign for the rest of the MLE and this is what they get??

Classic.

MB is simply stating that everyone always seems to think that half the NBA is lining up to accept seventeen bags of Doritos as compensation to play for the Spurs. Yes, if someone wants to play for the Spurs, they MAY accept a LITTLE less cash but as a businessman, you know you can only undercut your potential earnings so much.

And do you seriously believe that the Spurs have offered up the rest of the MLE to Robinson? If they had, he'd be signing tomorrow. The Spurs are waiting to see what else is available (I believe the Spurs or even Pop made a similar comment) before offering up something to him. He knows how much money the Spurs have left to offer and it didn't stop him from saying last week that he would like to be a Spur. This is his agent hoping to squeeze a few more Bucks in his commission.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-01-2005, 10:54 AM
So in other words.

If true??

Fuck you Robinson.

Whoa, is T Park criticizing someone for jumping ship?

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oliphant/thoa048.jpg

bigbendbruisebrother
08-01-2005, 10:57 AM
This is just typical agent talk. I really dont see it as an indication that G-Rob would prefer to be a Buck as apose to a Spur.

I agree. The least an agent can do is to try to milk each team for as much as he can get for his guy.

50 cent
08-01-2005, 11:42 AM
TPark, you need to get a life. It also wouldn't hurt if you started understanding posturing. It's a shame you didn't hold true on your end of the deal of not posting for a year on here - it could have been a record high year for intelligent posts without your stupidity lowering ther overall IQ of this board about 100 points.

:td

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-01-2005, 12:07 PM

Classic.

Classic, as in classic T Park.

GR is doing what any player would do. And, actually, BigDog resurrected his own career. Had he come to the Spurs and not contributed like he did no one would be talking about him at all. The Spurs gave him an opportunity but I don't think anyone gave him anything else once he was here. He had to earn his own props, and he did.

You can't blame a player who looks for a roster spot near his hometown. . .and for extra $$$.

If the dollars end up being the same as here I'm fairly confident he'd stay with the champs.

Bruno
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM

Agree.
I think Big Dog won't be a buck next season because :
- Bucks are stacked at the SG/SF : Redd, Simmons, Mason and Welsch
- Bucks can only offer him vet min (no MLE/no more cap space).

His agent hopes a bigger contract from a third team by saying Big Dog is a free agent and is not lock with the Spurs.
If he leaves we have still Devin or we could sign Evans as 4th swingman.

2centsworth
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Big Dog is worth about $1mil for 1 year right now. If he plays productive minutes for an entire year then next offseason can be nice for him. Wish him luck, he gave the spurs some key minutes.

smeagol
08-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Somebody care to explain to me why what Scola did (maybe asking for more money – we don’t know, or asking to be traded) is so different from what Big Dog is doing.

‘Cause everybody seems to be saying that what GR is doing is right and what Scola did is wrong (he's been labeled a whiner by more than one).

PM5K
08-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Somebody care to explain to me why what Scola did (maybe asking for more money – we don’t know, or asking to be traded) is so different from what Big Dog is doing.

‘Cause everybody seems to be saying that what GR is doing is right and what Scola did is wrong (he's been labeled a whiner by more than one).

Scola isn't even a rookie in this league, Glenn Robinson is a veteran who has paid his dues, and he's a free agent, he's welcome to do whatever the fuck he wants...

spurster
08-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Scola can negotiate for what he wants. But whining or complaining (or whatever you want to call it) when things don't go your way is going to be criticized.

smeagol
08-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Scola isn't even a rookie in this league, Glenn Robinson is a veteran who has paid his dues, and he's a free agent, he's welcome to do whatever the fuck he wants...
Scola is no rookie. He’s been playing professional ball since he was 17. What does it matter that he has not played in the NBA?

The team that drafted him will not have him in its roster next year (I’m not saying it’s the Spurs fault). SO the guys asks to be traded. What’s wrong with that? And what’s so different from what GR is doing, asking for more money?

But whatever, we digress and Kori will soon ask us to get back on topic :lol

timvp
08-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Glenn Robinson is a free agent. Scola is a second round pick. The Spurs offered more money to Scola than the will offer GRob. Scola didn't think it was enough and then started whining ... when the real people at fault are himself and his agents for not working out the buyout.

BronxCowboy
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Scola didn't do anything wrong, either, IMO. He's just getting his hopes up too much if he thinks that any other team is going to give him enough for the buyout this season.

Money316
08-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Pretty harsh. Glenn has already been on record saying that he wants to come back to the Spurs in an article about a week ago. If his agent is looking for the MLE and up, it's not surprising that he won't be a Spur - they don't have that kind of money.

That being said, whoever wrote/edited this article needs to try harder next time. Gloenn?

Thanks Princess for bringing logic back to the forefront and reducing the emotional aspect of it all. As usual, you're right; deep down all of us would have done the same damn thang.

In spite of it all, however, the hell with the Big Ass Dog.

Love the Forum -- keep it up.

Sincerely,

:fro :fro :fro

jabol130
08-01-2005, 05:32 PM
The title to this thread should instead read: Big Dog wants a big buck again. Or at least his agent does, (btw how can his agent get away with saying "I " would take the mid level or "I" would "consider"[U] taking that. There is no way Robinsons deserves 5mil/yr.

exstatic
08-01-2005, 06:37 PM
So in other words.

If true??

Fuck you Robinson.

Stop taking everything so fucking personally. This is a game that is played every July. You should be used to it by now. Hell, Devin is out there pimping himself right now.

Player: Hey GM, fucky sucky fi' million dollah!
GM: fi' million? Too beaucoup!
Player: Me love you long time, GM!

:lol

ambchang
08-02-2005, 08:19 AM
What did Scola ever do? He couldn't work out a buyout with Tau, and now that is a crime? I suppose all of you would love to pay $14 million out of your own pocket to make $5 mil, makes perfect sense to me.

Mixability
08-02-2005, 08:27 AM
TPark, you need to get a life. It also wouldn't hurt if you started understanding posturing. It's a shame you didn't hold true on your end of the deal of not posting for a year on here - it could have been a record high year for intelligent posts without your stupidity lowering ther overall IQ of this board about 100 points.

:td

Thank you! I'm glad some people still remember T(railer) Park and his deal breaking! Where is that "Goodbye T Park" thread anyway....

50 cent
08-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Scola is no rookie. He’s been playing professional ball since he was 17. What does it matter that he has not played in the NBA?

I've got news for you smeagol. Scola is and will be a rookie until he has played an entire year in the NBA. I don't care where he has played "professionally", he will be a rookie just like Ginobili was his first year once he enters the NBA. No other league requires near the physical and mental demands as the NBA and until a player has been through it once, they are a rookie.

:smokin

xcoriate
08-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Smeagol you got to be shitting me? I thought you were better.

Scola is a rookie attempting to enter the nba. It is by no means his right to do so. Better players than Scola have gone there entire career without a decent run in the nba. Scola needs to realise he would be lucky to play in the nba it is a privelige not a right and accept a small contract ala every other rookie so that he may be evaluated in the nba and compensated accordingly.

This is not hard to understand.

csw225
08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
you guys need to ease up on big dog, its not his reponsibility to resign with spurs to make you happy, we lose good players every year this is nothing new

waly.mg
08-02-2005, 11:35 AM
I've got news for you smeagol. Scola is and will be a rookie until he has played an entire year in the NBA. I don't care where he has played "professionally", he will be a rookie just like Ginobili was his first year once he enters the NBA. No other league requires near the physical and mental demands as the NBA and until a player has been through it once, they are a rookie.

:smokin

You are wrong, in the FIBA are 2 games a week, and if you lose a game you have 3 days to work with that and have the weight, if you lost in the NBA tomorrow you play again and have another chance, the Fiba´s World is always like the playoffs

50 cent
08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Sorry Waly, but there is no way you Argentine peeps are going to convince any us that Scola or anybody that has never played a day in the NBA is not a ROOKIE. If he joins the NBA tomorrow or in 6 years, he will be a rookie.

smeagol
08-02-2005, 12:56 PM
To me there is a difference if you are the European MVP, played professional ball for 8 years and won a gold medal and you want to transition into the NBA, or if you are a 22 year old out of college who's just been drafted.

They might both be rookies (meaning they have never played in the NBA), but, IMO, there is a big diffirence.

In any case, is it a fact that Scola complained about money? How much was ofered to him and how much more did he want?

From what I read, they guy saw that there was no chance of playing with the Spurs this year and he asked for a trade. That was enough for people here to label him a whiner.

With the info out there, I am not convinced he is a whiner at all.

And, ex, I am better :spin

smeagol
08-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Argentine peeps
What does "peeps" mean?

grjr
08-02-2005, 05:53 PM
http://www.tkamiya.net/junk/images/20050308-001m.jpg

csw225
08-03-2005, 12:51 AM
lol nice