PDA

View Full Version : Satan Statue Proposal for Oklahoma State Capital

Huey Freeman
01-07-2014, 05:32 AM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/p.YA2DGhI3ed_nf.t3LaJg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTcxODtweW9mZj0wO3E9Nz U7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/407c5c96dd182e00480f6a7067007849.jpg

Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.

The New York-based Satanic Temple formally submitted its application to a panel that oversees the Capitol grounds, including an artist's rendering that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard that's often used as a symbol of the occult. In the rendering, Satan is sitting in a pentagram-adorned throne with smiling children next to him.

"The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond," temple spokesman Lucien Greaves said in a statement. "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."

The Satanic Temple maintains that the Oklahoma Legislature's decision to authorize a privately funded Ten Commandments monument at the Capitol opened the door for its statue. The Ten Commandments monument was placed on the north steps of the building in 2012, and the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has sued to have it removed.

Similar requests for monuments have been made by a Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

In response, the Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission recently placed a moratorium on considering any new requests.

"Anybody can still make their request, but we'll hold off on considering them until the lawsuit is adjudicated," commission Chairman Trait Thompson said.

The push by the Satanic Temple has rankled elected leaders in this conservative state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt, who say such a proposal would never be approved by the commission.

"I think you've got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland," said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

While Greaves acknowledges the Satanic Temple's effort is in part to highlight what it says is hypocrisy of state leaders in Oklahoma, he says the group is serious about having a monument placed there.

The group already has raised nearly half of the $20,000 it says it needs to build the monument.

"We plan on moving forward one way or another," Greaves said.

Another Oklahoma legislator, Rep. Earl Sears, called the group's effort "an insult to the good people of the state."

"I do not see Satanism as a religion, and they have no place at the state Capitol," said Sears, R-Bartlesville.

On its website, the Satanic Temple explains that it "seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works.

"Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness," the website says

:lol

The Reckoning
01-07-2014, 05:36 AM
lol at the young obama

benefactor
01-07-2014, 07:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJZitsbkK0

.G.
01-07-2014, 07:41 AM
"an insult to the good people of the state"

:lol Silly inbred bubbas
:lol "we doun lak yo kand aroun he-uh"

Rogue
01-07-2014, 09:23 AM
a satan statue for Methlahoma state capital... fits perfectly imho.

Blake
01-07-2014, 09:41 AM
satanic girls are apparently required to wear sweat pants under their skirts

Leetonidas
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Hail Satan!

I. Hustle
01-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Hopefully the contractor doesn't slip up and make a statue dedicated to Stan.

http://www.oklahomascienceteachersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/stan-rice.jpg

thunderup
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Burn that motherfucker to the ground.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
lol Rednecks getting trolled.

benefactor
01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I would definitely make the trip up there to get a picture with the Flying Spaghetti Monster statue.

thunderup
01-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I'd love for McVeigh to be resurrected for just this.

Clipper Nation
01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
"an insult to the good people of the state"

:lol Silly inbred bubbas
:lol "we doun lak yo kand aroun he-uh"
:lol

lefty
01-07-2014, 05:59 PM
lol at the young obama
lol my reaction exactly

cantthinkofanything
01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
satanic girls are apparently required to wear sweat pants under their skirts

that's really fucking weird that you'd notice. it's like you're disappointed.

cantthinkofanything
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
LOL at the sketch artist putting young O in the scene.

http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/satan_statue.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

gameFACE
01-07-2014, 06:24 PM
http://www.morethings.com/fan/saturday_night_live/jon_lovitz/jon_lovitz-devil-snl-46.jpg

Joyrider
01-07-2014, 06:29 PM
ctJLlezlIJM

tbh.

Leetonidas
01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I'd love for McVeigh to be resurrected for just this.

Butthurt faggot :lol

DJR210
01-07-2014, 09:01 PM
That would make a pretty sick tattoo IMO.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
lol at the young obama

:lmao

Jacob1983
01-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Isn't this a waste of money? I mean don't Satan worshippers like to be under the radar and not have people up in their business?

DMC
01-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Satan would avoid that shit hole like Father Downey.

Even God has spent the last decade or so trying to wipe it off the face of the planet.

thunderup
01-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Butthurt faggot :lol
:lol you

Blake
07-14-2015, 11:27 AM
DETROIT (AP) — An 8½-foot-tall bronze monument featuring a goat-headed Satan will be unveiled at a secret, ticketed event in Detroit after the owner of a popular restaurant and entertainment complex backed out and opponents issued threats, organizers said.

The 1½-ton Baphomet, which is backed by an inverted pentagram and flanked by statues of two young children gazing up at the creature, shows Satan with horns, hooves, wings and a beard.

The Satanic Temple, a group that advocates for the separation of church and state, will release the location of the unveiling on the day of the event, and details will be sent to ticketholders only, the group's co-founder Lucien Greaves told The Associated Press Monday.

"Tickets are going to be pre-ordered to cut down on harassment ... people threatening to burn the venue down," Greaves said. "We've gotten those kinds of messages."

"If people don't want to come, they don't need to come," he added.Greaves said he reported the threats to authorities. The AP left a message Monday seeking comment from Detroit police.The statue was to have been unveiled July 25 at Bert's Market Place in Detroit's Eastern Market district, but Bert Dearing said he gave the group back it's $3,000 rental fee when he learned who booked the place."Detroit is a very religious area," Dearing said. "When I rented the place, I just thought it was a church. I didn't know about the unveiling of a statue. We weren't aware they were into devil worshipping."

The Satanic Temple Detroit chapter founder Jex Blackmore has said the group doesn't worship Satan but does promote individuality, compassion and views that differ from Christian and conservative beliefs.The statue was designed and built at a cost of more than $100,000 and had been planned for the state Capitol in Oklahoma City until Oklahoma's Supreme Court banned religious displays — including a monument of the Ten Commandments — on Capitol grounds.Greaves said the statue will not remain in Detroit and that The Satanic Temple wants to erect it outside Arkansas' Statehouse in Little Rock where a Ten Commandments monument also is planned.

Detroit was selected for the unveiling because The Satanic Temple in the city has a "strong congregation," Greaves said. "We just have a good community over there."Blackmore said Detroit has more than 200 registered members.

The group erected a display in December outside Michigan's state Capitol in Lansing. The "Snaketivity Scene" featured a snake offering a book called "Revolt of the Angels" as a gift. The snake was wrapped around the Satanic cross on the 3-feet-by-3-feet display. Like other religious displays, it was taken down each night.....

Blake
07-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Lol snaketivity scene