PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are done, can't close anymore (multiple late collapses)

mute
01-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I hate to say this, but the Spurs are done as championship contenders. We're 0-7 against other contenders this year (OKC, Indiana, LAC, and HOU). Our record is fool's good -- we beat up teams like the Magic, Bucks, and Pelicans. We can't close out games like we used to.

A list of notable late game collapses from recent memory...

2013 Game 6 vs. Miami (Finals): Spurs up 5 w/ 28 seconds to go (with the Larry O'Brien being wheeled out), missed free throws down the stretch and defensive rebounds

2012 Game 6 vs. OKC (WCF): Spurs blow a 16 pt lead and a 2-0 lead

2011 Game 1 v. Memphis: Shane Battier left open for a three

2006 Game 7 v. Dallas: up 3 in the waning moments before Dirk get's fouled (and 1)

13 pts. in 35 seconds: Tracy McGrady (former Spur) puts up 13 pts in the last 35 seconds to beat us

2004 v. LA series: blows a 0-2 lead (with home court advantage)

2000s (Shaq + Kobe): I'm too upset to actually look it up, but there was one game in either 2001 or 2002 in which we blew a 20 pt lead

Should I go back any further or is this enough ether for one post?

We need to blow it up now. Trade Parker while he can still yield 1st round picks and start the rebuilding process now. Throw a 5mill/year deal at Larry Brown of SMU (whom Pop has great respect for) and start grooming him for the future of this franchise.

look_at_g_shred
01-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Your takes suck.

apalisoc_9
01-07-2014, 11:10 PM
:lmao

Best poster...

jeebus
01-07-2014, 11:14 PM
The Pinking

TXstbobcat
01-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Jesus fucking Christ!! Can't we just enjoy the win tonight????

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
01-07-2014, 11:16 PM
I met larry brown in san marcos at a texas state basketball game, hes a good man,
he had Eric snow and a couple other x nba players as his assistants.

SpursRock20
01-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Is it a collapse if we still win? It was on the road and we didn't give a shit about the game. I'd be more worried about our effort but it is early January. Seriously, why give a shit? We won and Duncan had another magnificent game. We should all cherish his last remaining games, even more so because he is still playing really well.

Darius Bieber
01-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Some of your examples are from when the Spurs were still a good team.

mute
01-07-2014, 11:18 PM
The Pinking

It may not be what you WANT TO HEAR, but what you NEED to hear. We need to get younger and more athletic. Look at what the Raptors have done. Look what the Clippers, OKC, and Blazers are doing...

SpursRock20
01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
It may not be what you WANT TO HEAR, but what you NEED to hear. We need to get younger and more athletic. Look at what the Raptors have done. Look what the Clippers, OKC, and Blazers are doing...
Raptors :lol

Spurs beat them by 13 points in both games that they played them.

mute
01-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Raptors :lol

Spurs beat them by 13 points in both games that they played them.

They've beaten Indiana and OKC last week and took Portland and HOU into OT and kept it close with Miami. Let me know when we beat an elite team.

SpursRock20
01-07-2014, 11:27 PM
They've beaten Indiana and OKC last week and took Portland and HOU into OT and kept it close with Miami. Let me know when we beat an elite team.
We will win next friday in a home game against Portland even without Tiago. Book it.

mute
01-07-2014, 11:28 PM
We will win next friday in a home game against Portland even without Tiago. Book it.

I don't post for a month if we do.

SanDiegoSpursFan
01-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Clippers and Houston aren't contenders though

SpursRock20
01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I don't post for a month if we do.
Good, and feel free to make me eat crow if we lose.

mute
01-07-2014, 11:33 PM
I don't even know why you guys are upset at me. I'm just the messenger. We could have had 8 titles by now if we knew how to close out games and a five peat from 2003-2007.

01-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Some of your examples are from when the Spurs were still a good team.

RD2191
01-07-2014, 11:35 PM
:lolmute with the trolling goods

SpursRock20
01-07-2014, 11:36 PM
News flash mute. Even if you are the best team and "know" how to close out games, winning championships is not a given. You can't nit pick and say "We could have done this and won the championship this year or done that and won the championship that year." There were fortunate breaks for us in our championship years and unfortunate breaks in our empty years, but that goes for every team, especially the best ones.

spurs10
01-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Is it a collapse if we still win? It was on the road and we didn't give a shit about the game. I'd be more worried about our effort but it is early January. Seriously, why give a shit? We won and Duncan had another magnificent game. We should all cherish his last remaining games, even more so because he is still playing really well. Both funny and poignant! Enjoy this while you can folks!! Jeez.....we won!

Mikeanaro
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM
:lolmute with the trolling goods
He is PlayNando spiritual succesor

SpursRock20
01-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Both funny and poignant! Enjoy this while you can folks!! Jeez.....we won!
:lol That's what I'm saying. Not sure if these are just trolls or some extremely pessimistic fans.

look_at_g_shred
01-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Mute: incoherent babbling

hooperflash
01-08-2014, 12:04 AM

KaiRMD1
01-08-2014, 12:06 AM
That doesn't make any sense. You can't say we are done and use times during our championship runs as an example as to how we are done NOW. Smh ol' sport

Skull-1
01-08-2014, 12:10 AM
We have been done six Game Six. I keep telling you people but you won't listen.

mute
01-08-2014, 12:14 AM
That doesn't make any sense. You can't say we are done and use times during our championship runs as an example as to how we are done NOW. Smh ol' sport

We've never been able to close. A prime Tim Duncan isn't walking through the door any time soon. That's the difference. We had Duncan in his early 20s back then. We don't anymore.

Up 11 with a minute left in the game... and you let the other team go on a 11-0 run. You can't possibly look at me with a straight face and tell me we're coming out the West this year... forget winning a title. We can't even beat Miami's younger brother in Indiana.

rjv
01-08-2014, 12:22 AM
They've beaten Indiana and OKC last week and took Portland and HOU into OT and kept it close with Miami. Let me know when we beat an elite team. let us know when the raptors win these type of games in may or june

Sean Cagney
01-08-2014, 12:24 AM
2006 Game 7 v. Dallas: up 3 in the waning moments before Dirk get's fouled (and 1)

13 pts. in 35 seconds: Tracy McGrady (former Spur) puts up 13 pts in the last 35 seconds to beat us

2000s (Shaq + Kobe): I'm too upset to actually look it up, but there was one game in either 2001 or 2002 in which we blew a 20 pt lead

We need to blow it up now. Trade Parker while he can still yield 1st round picks and start the rebuilding process now. Throw a 5mill/year deal at Larry Brown of SMU (whom Pop has great respect for) and start grooming him for the future of this franchise.
These were during our title year runs, the SPURS were not done back then and won titles after these events so what does that have to do with this thread? They were still the SPURS then and real contenders at the time so what is the point of adding these here? These make your point of them not being contenders anymore invalid because they were legit contenders at the time and won titles after the events you mention.

That might be true but the BOZO mentioning 05 and 06 years in here is just irrelevant, they were still a title team then or heavy contender. His takes sucks.

^^^^^^^ THIS, that ruined his point and made it null and void.

01-08-2014, 01:06 AM
:lol

FireMicoHalili
01-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Nope Ayres just stinks that's it bro

Mikeanaro
01-08-2014, 01:59 AM
I don't even know why you guys are upset at me. I'm just the messenger. We could have had 8 titles by now if we knew how to close out games and a five peat from 2003-2007.
Thatīs impossible, are you aware that every team makes mistakes? even Phil Jackson Lakers loss in the finals.
I donīt know if you are serious or just wanna spend some time trollinīhere.

hater
01-08-2014, 02:20 AM
its all mental. game 6 is still fresh in their minds imo

Wildcat67
01-08-2014, 03:38 AM
So because the team was barely trying and Pop took out the starts a touch too soon, it's time to panic?

Oh no we had the game in hand and then stopped trying hard, but then easily won? Oh NO!

hater
01-08-2014, 04:34 AM
So because the team was barely trying and Pop took out the starts a touch too soon, it's time to panic?

Oh no we had the game in hand and then stopped trying hard, but then easily won? Oh NO!

so by this logic, we also stopped trying hard in game 6 of the Finals?

rascal
01-08-2014, 05:43 AM
so by this logic, we also stopped trying hard in game 6 of the Finals?

The spurs since their last title are really bad in their elimination games. They tend to tighten up and choke when faced with their own elimination game.

Brazil
01-08-2014, 07:41 AM
didn't see the end of the game, opened ST.. thought we had lost :lol in fact it's a w

Seventyniner
01-08-2014, 07:46 AM
didn't see the end of the game, opened ST.. thought we had lost :lol in fact it's a w

Don't you know by now? Wins range from "meh" to "OMG how did we almost blow that," while losses range from "Fire Pop" to "Spurs are done as contenders."

AchillesHeel
01-08-2014, 07:58 AM

pansies

TampaDude
01-08-2014, 08:36 AM
The spurs since their last title are really bad in their elimination games. They tend to tighten up and choke when faced with their own elimination game.

Except Game 6 of the 2013 Finals was not an elimination game for the Spurs.

Budkin
01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
You forgot 1978 in your "recent" memories.

rascal
01-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Except Game 6 of the 2013 Finals was not an elimination game for the Spurs.

I didn't say anything about game 6. They were even worse in game 7.

txstr1986
01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
The Spurs are undefeated in games decided by three or fewer points this year.

Brazil
01-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Don't you know by now? Wins range from "meh" to "OMG how did we almost blow that," while losses range from "Fire Pop" to "Spurs are done as contenders."

Horse
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM
I hate to say this, but the Spurs are done as championship contenders. We're 0-7 against other contenders this year (OKC, Indiana, LAC, and HOU). Our record is fool's good -- we beat up teams like the Magic, Bucks, and Pelicans. We can't close out games like we used to.

2013 Game 6 vs. Miami (Finals): Spurs up 5 w/ 28 seconds to go (with the Larry O'Brien being wheeled out), missed free throws down the stretch and defensive rebounds

Please mute your keyboard.

timtonymanu
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Please mute your keyboard.

Sup Horse

mute
01-08-2014, 04:57 PM
What are you guys even talking about? We've historically been terrible at closing out games. These are the facts -- whether we pulled out titles or not, it doesn't change the fact that we can't close. Sure, we won titles but we had a young Duncan and veterans (Steve Kerr, Kevin Willis, and Steve Smith).

But this season is the season that broke the camels back. Start preparing for the post-Duncan era. We need to stock up on picks and start grooming a new coach (Larry Brown is the guy I'm high on).

Embedded
01-08-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't mind us letting our foot of the gas in January. We maybdon't need to expend the energy it takes to win against marquee teams. We have our eye on a bigger prize.

toki9
01-08-2014, 05:58 PM
We need to stock up on picks and start grooming a new coach (Larry Brown is the guy I'm high on).

You mean the guy who'll turn 74 years old this year and who has coached Cougars (ABA), Nuggets, Nets, Spurs ('88-'92), Clippers, Pacers, 76ers, Pistons, Knicks, and Bobcats in the pros, and UCLA, Kansas, and SMU in college?

You believe this is the guy we should "groom" for the post-Duncan years?

mute
01-08-2014, 06:05 PM
You mean the guy who'll turn 74 years old this year and who has coached Cougars (ABA), Nuggets, Nets, Spurs ('88-'92), Clippers, Pacers, 76ers, Pistons, Knicks, and Bobcats in the pros, and UCLA, Kansas, and SMU in college?

You believe this is the guy we should "groom" for the post-Duncan years?

He has a track record of re-building teams... He took the Sixers, Pistons, and Bobcats to the promise land and countless others. He has success in college, so I know he's great at developing young talent.

toki9
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
He has success in college, so I know he's great at developing young talent.

So you think he'd be great at developing young talent at the pro level? Nothing in his history makes you question that assumption?

mute
01-08-2014, 06:20 PM
So you think he'd be great at developing young talent at the pro level? Nothing in his history makes you question that assumption?

Bobcats, Sixers, and all of his other stops were young teams looking for direction and gave that to him. He's up there with a guy like Hubie Brown (my second choice to succeed Pop). High basketball IQ and acumen, commands respect with his presence. It doesn't matter if they're good or bad players, you know a Hubie Brown coached team won't beat themselves. They're gonna come out and play their brand.

I would love to see what a guy like Brown can do with a guy like Joseph, De Colo, Malcolm Thomas, Ryan Richards, Eric Daweson, and DeSean Butler.

toki9
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I would love to see what a guy like Brown can do with a guy like Joseph, De Colo, Malcolm Thomas, Ryan Richards, Eric Daweson, and DeSean Butler.

He'll probably start out by trying to trade or cut all of those players--and I'm being only slightly flippant. So your first choice to succeed 64 year old Pop would be 74 year old Larry Brown, and then 80 year old Hubie Brown? For a re-build after blowing-up the team? Just can't argue with you there.

Spur|n|Austin
01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
You should probably stay mute.

toki9
01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
You should probably stay mute.

I probably should. That way lies sanity.

AntiChrist
01-08-2014, 08:11 PM
I still remember McGrady scoring 13 pts in 35 seconds in '04. Obviously, that was the time to blowup the team and hire Larry Brown. Oh, wait...

mute -- your takes suck

TampaDude
01-08-2014, 09:44 PM

0/10, tbh

mute
01-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Spurs are done. How are you gonna let someone go in your house, your food, and then use the restroom like this? Time to blow it up. Parker has value that can yield draft picks.

Let me remind you that they are STILL winless against top teams and its the midway point. Fools gold regular season.

cd021
01-17-2014, 11:33 PM
What are you guys even talking about? We've historically been terrible at closing out games. These are the facts -- whether we pulled out titles or not, it doesn't change the fact that we can't close. Sure, we won titles but we had a young Duncan and veterans (Steve Kerr, Kevin Willis, and Steve Smith).

But this season is the season that broke the camels back. Start preparing for the post-Duncan era. We need to stock up on picks and start grooming a new coach (Larry Brown is the guy I'm high on).

Interesting...Did you forget Game 7 of the 05 Finals?

Also we beat New Orleans in game 7 on the road in the semis in 2008

-Closed out Cleveland in the finals in game 4

-In 2005 we beat Phoenix in game 5 on the road ,in phoenix, to clinch a trip to the finals

-In 2005 we beat Seattle in Seattle to advance to the WCF

You're cherry picking games to prove your point, you're painting half a picture.

-Larry Brown is in his 70's. He isn't new or young. To be frank, I'd be concerned he would get through another season at his age.

Stocking up on picks with little more than a season & a half to go is nearly impossible without tearing down a team that has the best record in the west and is a game back of the best in the league.

Cleveland can stockpile picks by agreeing to take on players salaries for picks. Thats how they got Kyrie Irving (Clippers move a pick and Baron Davis to Cleveland for cap relief)

Hoops Czar
01-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Spurs are done. How are you gonna let someone go in your house, your food, and then use the restroom like this? Time to blow it up. Parker has value that can yield draft picks.

Let me remind you that they are STILL winless against top teams and its the midway point. Fools gold regular season.

You don't have to remind anyone. This team isn't winning shit with Patty running the backup point. They don't defend the three point line. They can't protect the rim. Anyone can say jump shooting teams don't win in the postseason. However, Teams that can't defend the jump shot don't win either. They aren't even competitive at home against elite teams. Three huge mistakes this offseason, four if you count Boylen.

DMC
01-18-2014, 12:53 AM
I don't get why anyone thinks these are "trolling goods". It's just cookie cutter trolls with zero creativity. I guess the standards are low.

weeks
01-18-2014, 04:52 AM
we haven't beaten anybody this year. frustrating to watch.

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 08:10 AM
:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

Lakers are done. Spurs are havin' fun being #1.

boutons_deux
01-18-2014, 08:13 AM
we haven't beaten anybody this year. frustrating to watch.

6 of 9 losses are @ATT. A great road record belies the Spurs true weakness.

Spurs 4 The Win
09-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Quality Takes :lol

ChumpDumper
09-26-2014, 07:29 PM
lol rascal is waiting for the first loss to post.

Or he just killed himself after 5.

xmas1997
09-26-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't get why anyone thinks these are "trolling goods". It's just cookie cutter trolls with zero creativity. I guess the standards are low.

This is true.

Mel_13
09-26-2014, 08:15 PM
You don't have to remind anyone. This team isn't winning shit with Patty running the backup point. They don't defend the three point line. They can't protect the rim. Anyone can say jump shooting teams don't win in the postseason. However, Teams that can't defend the jump shot don't win either. They aren't even competitive at home against elite teams. Three huge mistakes this offseason, four if you count Boylen.

This has to be among the worst predictions of 2014.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2014, 08:24 PM
This has to be among the worst predictions of 2014.Man, a person has to work really hard to be as consistently bad as Hoops Czar.

Splits
09-26-2014, 09:21 PM

WA68HU8wUMo

ElNono
09-26-2014, 10:36 PM

mkurts
09-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Quality thread

freetiago
09-27-2014, 12:06 AM
wasnt completely wrong tbh...
SA didnt do to well in close games in the playoffs
lots of Mavs games came down to them blowing leads in the final minutes and the Vince Carter 3

Spurs just didn't have any opportunity to play close games after that
Game 2 vs Miami was a pretty bad close-out were they just started iso monkeying around and let Miami get layups

cd021
09-27-2014, 12:06 PM
WA68HU8wUMo
Mills unloaded the clip on Miami's defense in Game 5 and Game 6 9-14 (64%) from 3. :tu

Spurs 4 The Win
09-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Mills unloaded the clip on Miami's defense in Game 5 and Game 6 9-14 (64%) from 3. :tu

Game 6?????

cd021
09-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Game 6?????
4 & 5

look_at_g_shred
09-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha

T Park
09-27-2014, 05:48 PM
lots of Mavs games came down to them blowing leads in the final minutes and the Vince Carter 3

Game 2 vs Miami was a pretty bad close-out were they just started iso monkeying around and let Miami get layups

Do a shot of CLR with a draino chaser.

TampaDude
09-28-2014, 04:00 AM
:lol @ this thread.

Classic.

BatManu20
09-28-2014, 04:04 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-obDZZ5zqnwM/TwoDYojn1eI/AAAAAAAAB8A/Ryx3avGcASY/s1600/lol+meme.gif

freetiago
10-09-2014, 06:33 PM

this guy definitely knows what hes talking about tbh..

Baam
10-09-2014, 06:54 PM
It's true for a superstar coach Pop loses so many close games...

10-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Inbounding the ball in close game situations with the lead has been a common problem for the Spurs over the last few seasons.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2014, 12:23 PM
It's true for a superstar coach Pop loses so many close games...How many compared to similar coaches?

look_at_g_shred
10-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Cry Havoc
10-10-2014, 01:08 PM

So the Spurs aren't a good playoff team because they blow out every team they play?

That's a special kind of stupid.

Spurs 4 The Win
10-10-2014, 06:54 PM
So the Spurs aren't a good playoff team because they blow out every team they play?

That's a special kind of stupid.

He also leaves out the fact that we won a bunch of the close games

Close games vs Dallas: Game 1 (We overcame 10 point 4th quarter deficit to win), Game 3 (You could call this a "choke"), Game 4 (Won a close game with a clutch 3 pointer down the stretch), Game 5 (won a close game and created separation after Mavs cut our lead to 4 with 2 minutes to play), Game 6 (could also call this a "choke")

So after round 1 we had 3 close wins and 2 close losses

Round 2 there were no close games

Round 3 there was one close game, in game 6 we clutched a victory.

And in the finals There were two close games. Game 1 was very close until about a minute remaining and we were trailing by 7 late in the fourth and won. And in game 2 we "choked"

So the total for the playoffs was 5 close wins and 3 losses. Converting over 50% of close games and to only have 8 close games for an entire playoff run is damn impressive.