PDA

View Full Version : Manu Headed to ASG?

Gino-Step
01-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Best player for the Spurs this year. Spurs with best record in the West. Highest PER, highest offensive differential.
No brainer?

Him making it as a 36 year old shooting guard would truly speak a lot about how he really should have made it every year since he was 25. Just logically speaking if you look at how an athlete should perform at various ages.

Well done Manu!

Will be on the cheapest contract of any player not on the rookie scale at the ASG. Once again showing his level of sacrifice. What an amazing person and player.

Robz4000
01-09-2014, 02:26 AM
IMO it'll be Tim and just Tim. West is too stacked with talent, especially at guard positions.

racm
01-09-2014, 02:27 AM
I'd rather he win his second 6MOY than risk injury/exhaustion by going to a game that means nothing come June.

spurs10
01-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Thank you Manu!

Mal
01-09-2014, 02:32 AM
PER and shit doesnt matter when chinease are voting. Wheelchaired Bryant is going to ASG

LakerHater
01-09-2014, 02:34 AM
From first returns:

Backcourt:
1. Kobe Bryant (LAL) 501,215 ---WTF?
2. Chris Paul (LAC) 393,313
3. Stephen Curry (GS) 327,449
4. Jeremy Lin (Hou) 240,404
5. James Harden (Hou) 198,667
6. Russell Westbrook (OKC) 149,065
7. Tony Parker (SA) 112,423
8. Ricky Rubio (Min) 63,096
9. Steve Nash (LAL) 60,782
10. Damian Lillard (Por) 55,847

chapnis
01-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Tim and Tony both have good chances, doubt Manu will make it.

mrjap2x
01-09-2014, 04:04 AM
I don't think coaches are that concerned about the reserves that they'll look at the PER leaders.

spursparker9
01-09-2014, 04:27 AM
From first returns:

Backcourt:

If Kobe is not participating in the ASG then we have CP3 and Curry as the starters.

The coaches will vote for Harden and Liliard for the reserve guards.

Parker will need to be in 1 of the 2 wild card places(which may not even be Guard position) to play in the ASG.

If Kobe is playing then Parker's chance will decrease significantly.

Chinook
01-09-2014, 05:36 AM
If Kobe is not participating in the ASG then we have CP3 and Curry as the starters.

The coaches will vote for Harden and Liliard for the reserve guards.

Parker will need to be in 1 of the 2 wild card places(which may not even be Guard position) to play in the ASG.

If Kobe is playing then Parker's chance will decrease significantly.

Nah, if the fan-voted starter is injured, whoever is coaching the All-Star team for that side gets to pick whoever he wants to fill that role out of the reserves. Then the league appoints a replacement for the bench. That's how Duncan got the start for Yao three years ago when Pop was coach. So it would be Brooks' or Stotts' decision on who would replace Kobe this time around.

Bruno
01-09-2014, 06:15 AM
First, Duncan has a highest PER than Ginobili.

Second, Ginobili doesn't play enough minutes to make the ASG or even being considered Spurs best player this year. Both Duncan and Parker have a better shot at making it.

Brazil
01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Once again showing his level of sacrifice

:lmao

Gino-Step

DAF86
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM

Second, Ginobili doesn't play enough minutes to make the ASG or even being considered Spurs best player this year. Both Duncan and Parker have a better shot at making it.

How come Enrique can't crack 20 pts on PER? Pretty embarrassing for the go to guy of an elite team, imho.

Bruno
01-09-2014, 07:47 AM
How come Enrique can't crack 20 pts on PER? Pretty embarrassing for the go to guy of an elite team, imho.

What is embarrassing is you calling Parker like that. I don't know what the idea behind that name but it sound so dumb.

Now, it's sure that if Parker was playing 24mpg against weak bench players, his PER would be better...

And you should worry about Manu injury/warning after a whole summer off and low minutes played. It's an injury at the same left hamstring that has bothered him the whole second half of last season. Even if the injury in itself is likely minor, it's a preoccupying sign for the future.

Mikeanaro
01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I donīt care about Enriques, Antonios or Carlos, the least thing Manu needs is an All Star Weekend, he never like it anyway.
Besides, as the years goes passing by...Manu like Tim and Tony are losing votes and thatīs a good thing, the whole ASG marketed shit is pointless, it getting boring year after year, whats that backcourt-froncourt BS?
:deadhorse

Old School 44
01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I'd love it if the Spurs go into the all star break with the best record and no one on the all star team.

Captivus
01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
What is MVP anyway...?

ThaBigFundamental21
01-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I'd rather he win his second 6MOY than risk injury/exhaustion by going to a game that means nothing come June.

Exhaustion from an extra 10 minutes in an ASG. LMAO. Where do you guys come up with your logic?

look_at_g_shred
01-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I'd love it if the Spurs go into the all star break with the best record and no one on the all star team.
Me too!

Mikeanaro
01-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Exhaustion from an extra 10 minutes in an ASG. LMAO. Where do you guys come up with your logic?
Psychological shit, not pure physical exhaustion, I heard Manuīs brother saying he prefers stay that weekend at home resting from all, like some kind of mini-vacation.
Think as work, if you work 6 days a week and must travel 1 hour to your workplace the whole year, and then you must go 1 hour because you have to on Sunday, and then go to home, another hour travel and the next day a new week begins, Iīll bet you would like to spend that Sunday at home doing something or nothing.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Where did Enrique come from, maybe if it was Antonio.

ElNono
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Where did Enrique come from, maybe if it was Antonio.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227485

It's like those Snickers commercials...

A3njod6lveI

Tony isn't him when he's on coasting/hero mode, tbh...

Kidd K
01-09-2014, 11:35 AM
"no brainer"? Uh. . .a no brainer that he won't be going, sure.

No 24 minute a game dude only averaging 12 PPG is going to the all star game.

You also gave some bogus statistics. He doesn't have the highest PER on the team, Duncan does. His offensive differential isn't the highest, Splitter's and Green's are higher. Leonard, Mills, and Bonner are also tied for Manu for differential (per possession).

Timmy will be our all star, and the only other guy with a shot is Parker is he starts to play a bit closer to last season's level. Only way I can see Manu being in is by default because of Kobe being out and other SGs in the west not being overly impressive. Not because Manu was any good. This is still one of Manu's worst seasons of his career, and for a guy who's barely made the all star game in the past, that isn't a good sign he's making it this year.

dallasmaverickslose
01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
What is embarrassing is you calling Parker like that. I don't know what the idea behind that name but it sound so dumb.

Now, it's sure that if Parker was playing 24mpg against weak bench players, his PER would be better...

And you should worry about Manu injury/warning after a whole summer off and low minutes played. It's an injury at the same left hamstring that has bothered him the whole second half of last season. Even if the injury in itself is likely minor, it's a preoccupying sign for the future.
:lmao Bruno getting trolled on big time

Skull-1
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Tim has an outside shot at it. Manu has zero chance. Fuhgetaboutit.

Skull-1
01-09-2014, 11:50 AM
"no brainer"? Uh. . .a no brainer that he won't be going, sure.

No 24 minute a game dude only averaging 12 PPG is going to the all star game.

You also gave some bogus statistics. He doesn't have the highest PER on the team, Duncan does. His offensive differential isn't the highest, Splitter's and Green's are higher. Leonard, Mills, and Bonner are also tied for Manu for differential (per possession).

Timmy will be our all star, and the only other guy with a shot is Parker is he starts to play a bit closer to last season's level. Only way I can see Manu being in is by default because of Kobe being out and other SGs in the west not being overly impressive. Not because Manu was any good. This is still one of Manu's worst seasons of his career, and for a guy who's barely made the all star game in the past, that isn't a good sign he's making it this year.

OP trolled us. Big time.

Bruno
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
:lmao Bruno getting trolled on big time

Not really but whatever can make you help feel better, whiner.

will_spurs
01-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Thanks. A few guys here need a reality check.

hater
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Manu is playing great but the fact that the Spurs pummeled the Mavs by 30 when he's in a suit and tie doesn't help his case at all.

Leetonidas
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Best player for the Spurs this year.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Old School 44
01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Duncan will be the obligatory pick by the coaches. You know the "we have to at least one person from the team with the best record in the conference on the All Star team". Parker may also be a coaches pick with all the injuries at guard and respect for the teams record. Manu has an outside shot if the injuries continue to mount at the position.

But still it would be something if none of them made it. We should start a drive to vote Lin in as a starter.

I wonder if Beli, Green or Bonner get invited to the 3-point shooting contest?

hater
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Green :lol

Green's shooting is going to the toilet. nig is shooting 33% in his last 10 games

Mikeanaro
01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Bonner was there last season and lost to Kyrie Irving I think, so this season I would like to see our favorite Big Lipped Choker shooting 3s in a wheelchair wearing diapers and a shirt with lebronīs face smiling.

ElNono
01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I've been defending Tony's coasting since the season started. Not surprised at all to see him giving a fuck in a game we were shorthanded, nor am I surprised seeing the Spurs atop the West.

It's pretty evident that Manu resurrected THAT dude career after getting kicked out of the Bulls, tbh. Marco is brimming with confidence and the reality is that this team has a season and a half to figure out how to stop relying on Gino as the backup playmaker, so all these games help on that aspect.

As far as the OP, it's clearly a troll job... except for coach Spo personally picking Manu, there's zero possibility that he'll be on the ASG... which is good news for the Spurs, tbh...

cd021
01-09-2014, 03:32 PM

+1
I've never understood how fans act like the ASG is a triathlon. 10 minutes in an exhibition game. Take a couple of jumpers, toss an alley opp and sit on the bench. ST acting like its the Home run derby and Duncan and Parker won't look the same post ASG.

Sean Cagney
01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
From first returns:

Backcourt:

#1 and #4 is why I don't watch that crap and it's a joke. Nash being on there ahead of Lillard too shows you the fans should not be able vote.

Budkin
01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping there are NO spurs on the AST. The less chance of injury the better.

Beaverfuzz
01-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Best player for the Spurs this year. Spurs with best record in the West. Highest PER, highest offensive differential.
No brainer?

Him making it as a 36 year old shooting guard would truly speak a lot about how he really should have made it every year since he was 25. Just logically speaking if you look at how an athlete should perform at various ages.

Well done Manu!

Will be on the cheapest contract of any player not on the rookie scale at the ASG. Once again showing his level of sacrifice. What an amazing person and player.

He bought courtside tickets?

Kidd K
01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
OP trolled us. Big time.

:\ A'ight. I don't keep up with who the shitty posters are anymore, so its hard to tell sometimes

Gino-Step
01-09-2014, 05:09 PM
:\ A'ight. I don't keep up with who the shitty posters are anymore, so its hard to tell sometimes

I ain't trolling. If that makes me shitty, then that's that. But Manu Ginobili is an All-Star this year. Period. Damien Lillard? Please.

will_spurs
01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
+1
I've never understood how fans act like the ASG is a triathlon. 10 minutes in an exhibition game. Take a couple of jumpers, toss an alley opp and sit on the bench. ST acting like its the Home run derby and Duncan and Parker won't look the same post ASG.

+ the trip, the events, the media and so on

It's definitely not the same than chilling out at home for 3 straight days.

slick'81
01-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Just on per alone Manu should def be an all star

Kidd K
01-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I ain't trolling. If that makes me shitty, then that's that. But Manu Ginobili is an All-Star this year. Period. Damien Lillard? Please.

You'd be a shitty poster if you were trolling. I don't call people shitty for just having an opinion unless it's both wrong and they insist everyone else is wrong/dumb for disagreeing.

Anyway, no Manu isn't an all star. 12 PPG, 24 MPG, less than 5 APG/RPG. Not all star stats. As for Lillard, he's better than Ginobili right now easily and there's no way Manu gets a spot over Lillard. Not that it even matters though since he's a PG and Manu is a SG. You have to be having a fantastic year to get an all star selection, and right now Manu just isn't.

DAF86
01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
You'd be a shitty poster if you were trolling. I don't call people shitty for just having an opinion unless it's both wrong and they insist everyone else is wrong/dumb for disagreeing.

Anyway, no Manu isn't an all star. 12 PPG, 24 MPG, less than 5 APG/RPG. Not all star stats. As for Lillard, he's better than Ginobili right now easily and there's no way Manu gets a spot over Lillard. Not that it even matters though since he's a PG and Manu is a SG. You have to be having a fantastic year to get an all star selection, and right now Manu just isn't.

lol what? Of course it matters for ASG purposes. ASG doesn't make a distinction between PGs and SGs. They divided it among guards and front court players.

TheGoldStandard
01-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Solid opinion take till you said you have have a fantastic season to have an all star selection... See Kobe Bryant.

Mikeanaro
01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Solid opinion take till you said you have have a fantastic season to have an all star selection... See Kobe Bryant.
Bynum, Yao, Amare corpse on the Knicks, Allen Iverson corpse, Back Injured Dwert.

Skull-1
01-09-2014, 11:53 PM

I am thinking he was referring to a Spur making it. Outside the popularity contest one would have to be off the chart to otherwise stand out.

hsxvvd
01-10-2014, 12:11 AM
As someone who lives outside the US myself, I'd rather voting be restricted to North America. Limit the votes to those who attend games is my suggestion. The all-star game voting has been a joke since they allowed international voting.

Mikeanaro
01-10-2014, 12:15 AM
As someone who lives outside the US myself, I'd rather voting be restricted to North America. Limit the votes to those who attend games is my suggestion. The all-star game voting has been a joke since they allowed international voting.
Thatīs impossible considering the NBA wants worldwide expansion, now in the internet era international vote seems the way to go.

Spur|n|Austin
01-10-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm hoping there are NO spurs on the AST. The less chance of injury the better.

Along with some rest.

Kidd K
01-10-2014, 08:42 AM

He's getting voted in by fans. You know full well I was talking about coach/player vote. Manu isn't getting voted in starting SG so starter's vote is irrelevant isn't it?

Kidd K
01-10-2014, 08:44 AM
lol what? Of course it matters for ASG purposes. ASG doesn't make a distinction between PGs and SGs. They divided it among guards and front court players.

Coach's aren't adding all SGs and no PGs, and certainly not more SGs than PGs. They usually spread it out pretty well. If anything more PGs will be added, which makes even less available spots for the non-all star stats having Manu to possibly get.

Just being realistic. He isn't an all star. Better than last year, but not an all star.

Gino-Step
01-18-2014, 05:02 PM
After last night, clearly Manu is deserving of the All Star selection

Diego20
01-18-2014, 05:55 PM
After last night, clearly Manu is deserving of the All Star selection

I'm a ManuFan but no he doesn't deserve the All Star selection, beside he's playing well this year.

Mouth is Bleeding
01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
I don't know if he deserves to be there, the all-star selections are a joke anyway but Harden is the only SG in the West who has been clearly better. Manu easily has a case for second best SG in the west so far and if you factor Spurs record and the impact of the bench his case only gets better.

Matthews would be my 3rd choice.

Ellis for the first time basically ever hasn't been a disaster but isn't an all star imo and Klay Thomsen (PER at 14.50), great shooter and all, his work is crazy overrated with holes still all over his game.

JJ Redick is pretty awesome but got injured.

There aren't even that many more SGs you can mention before we get to Marco...

DMC
01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Only if coaches select him. There are some serious snubs this year, and like always, some "wtf" people. It's about being popular, not about being good.