PDA

View Full Version : How do you remember Larry Brown as a Spurs coach?

lefty
01-09-2014, 02:10 AM
- got the most out of his team?
- great coach but not the right one for the Spurs?
- was he right to call out Robinson and Sean's defensive efforts (or lack thereof) after the Spurs got ousted by GSW in the 1st round ?

http://pascalmeurs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/pop.jpg

Sean Cagney
01-09-2014, 02:50 AM
Every Spurs team to me is BT or AT. Meaning BEFORE TIM and AFTER TIMMAY! Coach blah blah blah before Tim, after Tim it's all gravy! I remember some of the Brown years, he was a good coach I guess but that was before the Spurs got a single title and they were just the playoff team and not nearly a title contender IMO. So to answer your question just another coach to come and go, good coach but thats about it.

bigfan
01-09-2014, 09:49 AM
A big "meh". The best we ever had before Pop was Albeck and then maybe Moe.

wildbill2u
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Brown must be a great coach because everybody says so. After all he coached from age 32-70. Unfortunately his career stats are .476 for the ABA and .518 for the NBA.

If you look at his career, he's only good for about 3 years at any one stop. I bet he's coached more professional teams than any other coach. Successful coaches usually manage to keep their jobs and build on success. Doesn't happen with Brown. He is a perfectionist, asking humans to be perfect and eventually he gets crosswise with his players and is either fired or quits.

I'd say that the aspect of coaching that deals with measuring your players' skills and temperments and then attempting to build a team are simply beyond his ability because of his own psychology.

But he must be a great coach cause everybody says so.

Kool Bob Love
01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Brown must be a great coach because everybody says so. After all he coached from age 32-70. Unfortunately his career stats are .476 for the ABA and .518 for the NBA.

If you look at his career, he's only good for about 3 years at any one stop. I bet he's coached more professional teams than any other coach. Successful coaches usually manage to keep their jobs and build on success. Doesn't happen with Brown. He is a perfectionist, asking humans to be perfect and eventually he gets crosswise with his players and is either fired or quits.

I'd say that the aspect of coaching that deals with measuring your players' skills and temperments and then attempting to build a team are simply beyond his ability because of his own psychology.

But he must be a great coach cause everybody says so.

He's a winner on ALL levels. Sit your five dollar ass down.

FromWayDowntown
01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
There's a lot to dislike about Larry and I don't know that he was particularly well-suited for the Spurs after 1989, when there were so many young players in crucial roles for his team. But with that said, if Rod Strickland doesn't throw a horrendous pass in Portland in May of 1990, Larry would be a beloved Spurs coach, even if he had still chosen to exert his usual petulance and wear out his welcome a couple of seasons later. It's very likely that if Strickland makes a smarter pass and the Spurs hold that single possession (or at least don't have a turnover that leads to a basket and a breakaway foul that put Game 7 out of reach) they win that game. If the Spurs had beaten the Blazers in that series, I think they likely would have won the West (I thought then that the Spurs would have been able to deal with Phoenix in the West Finals). Had Larry gotten that team to the Finals, he'd be absolutely legendary in San Antonio.

Ultimately, too, Larry's legacy as coach of the Spurs lies in his decision to hire Popovich and make him a known name in both the NBA and, more particularly, in San Antonio. Larry didn't bring Pop here to stay (since Pop had his time with the Warriors after being Larry's assistant) but I don't think it's as likely that the Spurs front office in the summer of 1994 would have gravitated to Popovich as its general manager choice (or that local media would have supported that choice) if Pop hadn't been part of the organization already; and I doubt he would have been part of the organization without Larry having coached the Spurs.

Harry Callahan
01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Coach Brown gave a childhood friend of mine (a Ticket Sales Rep for the Spurs in the late 80s early 90s) some of his suits. He was helping a young guy out.

I even got to meet Sean Elliott at this friends wedding (Sean was a groomsman or usher). Unfortunately, the marriage didn't work out but that's another story.

Coach Brown's connections with RC and Pop and bringing them to San Antonio was so key in the way the franchise was eventually run when Mr. Holt took control of the team.

His vagabond nature simply does not allow him to stay anywhere very long, but he almost always improves the product. At 73 years old he is doing pretty well at SMU right now.

Chomag
01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Brown was a big part of the success of the Spurs franchise. Even if he wasn't directly in control spurs winning championships years he had a hand in many of the things that set in motion of many things in the Spurs today.

toki9
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
I think he's a great basketball mind and great coach...but probably much better suited for college (where he can really teach and mold young players who'll listen to him) than for pros...I think Pop is an interesting mix of Don Nelson and Larry Brown, actually...but with a much better emotional intelligence and ability to work with people...

toki9
01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
But with that said, if Rod Strickland doesn't throw a horrendous pass in Portland in May of 1990

Oh, that pass (still hurts)...and Strickland...he was fun to watch and maddening at the same time...if only he had a reliable jumpshot...and better judgment...

Biernutz
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Larry and his bitche'n about David. It was said the the team tuned Larry out because of
the constant bitching.

Juggity
01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
The fact that Larry Brown brought Pop into the fold is a key turning point for the franchise. I can't really speak to Brown's coaching (wasn't a fan at that time) but given the trajectory of Larry's career, he seems like an idiosyncratic and kind of curmudgeonly coach that's always finding new and exciting ways to get on players' and executives' nerves and wear out his welcome. Dude won a title with the Pistons, but I always thought it was incredible that he was released right after making a second straight finals and losing to the spurs. Like, damn. You really have to accrue some bad will to be fired after two straight finals appearances and one title.

tmtcsc
01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
He's neurotic but honest. He did the best with what he had but it was obvious that he and #50 did not really get along too well. David was not the player that Brown thought he was. I think Brown grew frustrated with David's lack of commitment and interest while being supremely gifted physically. Robinson on the other hand, wasn't very inspired by Brown's attitude and lack of tact. He felt Brown cursed too much. You read that right.

dallasmaverickslose
01-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Pop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brown

The Whopper
01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Quit on the team in 1992.

He probably realized he was screwed within the Red McCombs and Bob Bass business model for the Spurs. But whatever. He still quit.

Beaverfuzz
01-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Oh, that pass (still hurts)...and Strickland...he was fun to watch and maddening at the same time...if only he had a reliable jumpshot...and better judgment...

Consider this, the guy he passed the ball to ended up getting a ring with..........the San Antonio Spurs.

toki9
01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Consider this, the guy he passed the ball to ended up getting a ring with..........the San Antonio Spurs.

Jerome Kersey...good recall. BTW, this thread is making me feel really old. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-09-2014, 04:49 PM
I was pretty young for his time with the Spurs. I probably remember him as better than he was thanks to the succession of coaches through the rest of the 90s. Lucas, Tark, Bob Hill. Hill had a good season with the Sonics in 2005, but otherwise the collective post Spurs career of those three doesn't add to much, while Larry always seemed to be coaching somewhere with some level of success at any time.

Maddog
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
In retrospect probably not a great fit. However, I'm not certain anyone would have worked out.
The team in 89-90 was loaded with young talent. However, it didn't work out. Strickland had issues off the court as did Willie Anderson. Injuries also hampered Willie Andersons career starting the next year. Finally, Brown and Robinson did not click. They didn't click on a personality level and Brown was insistent that David be a low block traditional center on offense. Offensively, he really took off when Lucas had him face up more. DRob was just too thin in the waist and legs too be great in the post. Also made a few bonehead maneuvers- Trading for Pressey whose career was headed downward- giving up a productive Brickowski.

Old School 44
01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Great basketball X's and O's guy, but he seemed to throw players under the bus and air things out in the media like Phil Jackson.
He always seemed to be whining about something. I'd rank my coaches for the Spurs in this order Pop, Doug Moe, then Stan Albeck.

toki9
01-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Great basketball X's and O's guy, but he seemed to throw players under the bus and air things out in the media like Phil Jackson.
He always seemed to be whining about something. I'd rank my coaches for the Spurs in this order Pop, Doug Moe, then Stan Albeck.

Off topic, but Pop and Moe may share some fashion sensibilities as well...that sport coat Pop wore against the Kings the other night...wow.

exstatic
01-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Brown is one of the most brilliant Xs and Os coaches in history. How many guys have ever won the NCAA tourney AND the LoB?

He whines a lot and loses every team he has faster than most coaches do, which is why he moves around so much. If I had to sum it up, I'd say he was brilliant, but fussy. He doesn't relate well to players and they eventually tune him out.

pgardn
01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
As an opposing coach we doused him with Guacamole.
Good times.

FromWayDowntown
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Hill had a good season with the Sonics in 2005

Not to be picky, but that Sonics team was coached by Nate McMillan.

Your point holds; Hill took over the Sonics in the middle of the 2005-06 season and led that team to a 22-30 record for the remainder of that season and while he kept the job into the next season, that team went 31-51. If you take away his two full seasons with the Spurs, Hill is 189-250 (.431) as an NBA head coach.

HI-FI
01-09-2014, 10:21 PM
i'm actually a huge fan of the guy. He was coach of Spurs when I became aware and fan of the team. Granted I was a lot younger so I didn't appreciate Brown or know much about him, it's not like we had the internet around to know every aspect of the coach, his likes/dislikes, stool size etc....

But I really appreciated him more with his overall body of work and taking down that Lakers team in '04. I think he is one of the greatest BBall minds of all time, but unfortunately he's about as nomadic as they come. He simply can't settle anywhere. But he's like the anti-Phil Jackson, he seems more happy if the situation is tough and a challenge.

TheGoldStandard
01-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Was stringent with his offense, very methodical slow pace to his game planning which probably hampered DRob during there time together. I always felt that DRob should have been in a motion offense early in his career, could get out on the break, pull up and shoot jumpers and finish at the rim.

exstatic
01-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Was stringent with his offense, very methodical slow pace to his game planning which probably hampered DRob during there time together. I always felt that DRob should have been in a motion offense early in his career, could get out on the break, pull up and shoot jumpers and finish at the rim.

They tried at one point, and David resisted it. He wasn't comfortable with it.

TheGoldStandard
01-09-2014, 10:56 PM
They tried at one point, and David resisted it. He wasn't comfortable with it.

Had to be the mindset of bigs during that era but man was built for speed.. He had speed and not an ounce of fat, very quick for his size too.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Not to be picky, but that Sonics team was coached by Nate McMillan.

Your point holds; Hill took over the Sonics in the middle of the 2005-06 season and led that team to a 22-30 record for the remainder of that season and while he kept the job into the next season, that team went 31-51. If you take away his two full seasons with the Spurs, Hill is 189-250 (.431) as an NBA head coach.

Shit, you're right. I think I got the wires crossed in my brain between that WCF team (the last time that Seattle was good) and all the hoopla surrounding Hill's sour grapes and allegations that Pop got him blacklisted in the league when they went head to head the next year (the last time I gave the Sonics any thought).

T Park
01-10-2014, 02:18 AM
In retrospect probably not a great fit. However, I'm not certain anyone would have worked out.
The team in 89-90 was loaded with young talent. However, it didn't work out. Strickland had issues off the court as did Willie Anderson. Injuries also hampered Willie Andersons career starting the next year. Finally, Brown and Robinson did not click. They didn't click on a personality level and Brown was insistent that David be a low block traditional center on offense. Offensively, he really took off when Lucas had him face up more. DRob was just too thin in the waist and legs too be great in the post. Also made a few bonehead maneuvers- Trading for Pressey whose career was headed downward- giving up a productive Brickowski.

I thought that was a Bob Bass move myself...

T Park
01-10-2014, 02:20 AM
The team Larry Brown won with, the Detroit Pistons in 04 and 05, were good, but thanks to his coaching, was what made them GREAT. Not only was Brown a great X's and O's, maybe best all time, but he could coach a defense. Elliott and Robinson were great defenders, whos defense was made better, IMO, under Brown.

Maddog
01-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I thought that was a Bob Bass move myself...

It was a combination of both. Brown was never satisfied with what he had. Especially with regards to point guard- was enamored of Pressey's ability as a point forward.
In any case, I think the failure of that team to live up to it's potential was not all LB's fault. After 89/90 Willie Anderson was never quite the same. Stickland had issues. (also on that team Wingate and Vernon Maxwell) On occasion you hear Sean Elliott mention how crazy some of the players were. Those days and subsequent experience with Rodman had a lot of impact on Popovich with regards to the type of players he has sought-you often hear he's not "Spurs Material" in reference to a potential acquisition.

DMC
01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
I was working in a photo lab back in those days and Larry used to drop his film off with me. He was always cordial and talkative. That's how I remember him.

T Park
01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
It was a combination of both. Brown was never satisfied with what he had. Especially with regards to point guard- was enamored of Pressey's ability as a point forward.
In any case, I think the failure of that team to live up to it's potential was not all LB's fault. After 89/90 Willie Anderson was never quite the same. Stickland had issues. (also on that team Wingate and Vernon Maxwell) On occasion you hear Sean Elliott mention how crazy some of the players were. Those days and subsequent experience with Rodman had a lot of impact on Popovich with regards to the type of players he has sought-you often hear he's not "Spurs Material" in reference to a potential acquisition.

No question. Bob Bass's propensity to "have to make a deal" is what screwed team chemistry as well. Letting Strickland go for nothing to Portland, trading for Pressy. drafting the likes of Schintzius, Sean Higgins. Just horrible management. the 180 degree difference.

Harry Callahan
01-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Bob Bass was kind of a joke. I'm glad a serious GM took his place with pop.

Chomag
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Drobs rookie year (1990) was probably the best team Larry Brown had with the Spurs. Terry Cummings was still a beast before his knee injury. If that team would have all stayed healthy for another season I believe they would have made a good run at a chip but it wasn't to be.