PDA

View Full Version : Heat: NBA Scouts: Lebron is best post-up player in the league..

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2014, 04:33 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-01-08/lebron-james-post-up-miami-heat-eastern-conference-scout-stats-efficiency-mvp-nba-championship

"He is the best post-up player in the league, really," the scout said. "You used to be able to get him to take jumpers in the post, but now he is smarter, he is able to get by you and get himself an easy basket. It's a nightmare. He is that much more efficient."

Good read, tbh..he has been a good post player for years, the numbers showed it, only ignorant media and fans believed otherwise..his evolution and improvement has been phenomenal, though, as he is now the best post player in the league, tbh..

spurraider21
01-09-2014, 05:00 AM
he's a beast in the post, that's for sure. i'm not sure if its necessarily because he's the best post player, or the fact that the guy assigned to defending lebron is typically a smaller guy, which allows him to just bully them in the paint. not taking his dominance away from him, but i don't know if i'd go so far to say his post technique is the best/most refined in the league.

that said, given who is usually defending him, he is the most effective post player

solid avatar btw

TDMVPDPOY
01-09-2014, 05:48 AM
when i think of posts player, i think of backing down on a man with low post moves or a front to the basket game taking him off the dribbler

not fkn powering ur way to the rim without any fundamental move...

UNCLE-DREW
01-09-2014, 05:56 AM
when i think of posts player, i think of backing down on a man with low post moves or a front to the basket game taking him off the dribbler

not fkn powering ur way to the rim without any fundamental move...

so what was shaq ?

JohnnyMax
01-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Blake Griffin has better footwork in the post

AchillesHeel
01-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Lebron is the best post scorer in the league, but he does not have the best post game. He's just effective due to his size and speed.

LnGrrrR
01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
The whole "not the best footwork" doesn't really mean anything. If you can score 70% in the post without footwork, then who needs it?

HH can testify that I was a certified Lebron hater (and still am, to an extent), but if his career keeps up like it has, Michael Jordan will be pulling a Tonya Harding on him. Only an idiot would deny that he's easily the best basketball player, and has been since... 2011? At least 2012.

Killakobe81
01-09-2014, 12:32 PM
so what was shaq ?

Fair counter-point.
Much like Shaq, Lebron is the most dominant but not "best" post player.
A true Low post player has a "pet move" or numerous counters to that move.
Lebron has some strong dominant moves and a counter but so much of his success relies on him beating his man to the spot and using his amzing explosion and strength.
that is not a knock many have implored him to do this and he has. He just does not have the post game of say Tim duncan. Who can post over either shoulder, use his bank, hook, up and under.
I dont care what the numbers say Lebron is not a better post player than even a TOSB timmy ...but he is more effective.
Point being I would have my son watch timmy in the post and take notes ...not Lebron.

But if my son was 6 foot 8 275 and ran like Usian Bolt ...

BGut tbh ...Lebron is just sooo good. We do not need to exaggerate because he passes the eye test.
And the numbers back it up.
We are all witnessess tbh ...

Killakobe81
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
The whole "not the best footwork" doesn't really mean anything. If you can score 70% in the post without footwork, then who needs it?

HH can testify that I was a certified Lebron hater (and still am, to an extent), but if his career keeps up like it has, Michael Jordan will be pulling a Tonya Harding on him. Only an idiot would deny that he's easily the best basketball player, and has been since... 2011? At least 2012.

Lngrr how you been?
I agree guy is a BEAST ...
the SF version of shaq with a dash of Magic and MJ ...

Phillip
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Lebron is the best post scorer in the league, but he does not have the best post game. He's just effective due to his size and speed.

This.

He is the most effective post player, but not the most skilled. Just like Shaq was back in his day.

DMC
01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Tim still has the best footwork in the post, just cannot finish like he used to and that wing banker has been abandoned mostly so he doesn't have that threat. Also, Splitter's footwork in the post is pretty good if he didn't have that faggot ass flip shot. When he takes it strong, it's decent.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-01-08/lebron-james-post-up-miami-heat-eastern-conference-scout-stats-efficiency-mvp-nba-championship

Good read, tbh..he has been a good post player for years, the numbers showed it, only ignorant media and fans believed otherwise..his evolution and improvement has been phenomenal, though, as he is now the best post player in the league, tbh..

faggot ^

Phillip
01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Blake Griffin has better footwork in the post
Lebron's footwork isn't quite Olajuwon level, but worlds ahead of Griffin.

hyperbole fail :lol

Phillip
01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Fair counter-point.
Much like Shaq, Lebron is the most dominant but not "best" post player.
A true Low post player has a "pet move" or numerous counters to that move.
Lebron has some strong dominant moves and a counter but so much of his success relies on him beating his man to the spot and using his amzing explosion and strength.
that is not a knock many have implored him to do this and he has. He just does not have the post game of say Tim duncan. Who can post over either shoulder, use his bank, hook, up and under.
I dont care what the numbers say Lebron is not a better post player than even a TOSB timmy ...but he is more effective.
Point being I would have my son watch timmy in the post and take notes ...not Lebron.

But if my son was 6 foot 8 275 and ran like Usian Bolt ...

BGut tbh ...Lebron is just sooo good. We do not need to exaggerate because he passes the eye test.
And the numbers back it up.
We are all witnessess tbh ...

I think it depends on how you see your definition of "best".

If it means "most skilled", no Lebron isnt the best. If it means "most effective", then yes Lebron is the best.

Personally, I think "most effective" would be more fitting. Going back to Shaq... if you could have one possession where either Shaq or Timmy could go at a defender one on one in the post, who would you trust more to take that shot? I think most people would take Shaq, simply because he is too physically dominant for any one person to handle, even though Timmy is undoubtedly a more skilled post player. Or another comparison, would be Dirk and Nash. Back in the day, they would always have shooting competitions, and Nash would generally beat Dirk. But who would you rather have take a big time jump shot? Most would probably say Dirk, because he is a more effective shooter than Nash (largely due to his size), even though Nash is a more polished shooter.

In each case, the general consensus would say that Shaq in his prime was a "better" post player than Duncan, and that Dirk in his prime was a "better" shooter than Nash.

If Lebron is the most unstoppable player in the post, I think he deserves the title of "best" post player, even though Timmy, Gasol, Carmelo, Kobe, and Bynum are all more skilled and polished post scorers.

irishock
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Uh, he's been the best player since 2007 unless you've been living under a rock

lol Celtics fan only crediting LeBron's best in the world title after he finally beat you guys in a series. Christ.

Phillip
01-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Uh, he's been the best player since 2007 unless you've been living under a rock

I believe this as well. But Kobe fanboys/Lebron haters are the only ones who say otherwise.

Lebron has been the best basketball player in the league since the Detroit game 5. He may not have been as polished as Kobe, but no single player was more valuable to their team and more effective all around than Lebron has been since 07.

If you swap Varejao (however its spelled) with Gasol for those years that Lebron was in Cleveland, he easily wins 2-3 championships during the same span that Kobe won his 2, and this isn't even an argument whatsoever. Kobe unquestionably had the superior team around him, yet Lebron consistently somehow had his team massively overachieving and winning 60+ games, something Kobe wasn't able to do with a comparable level of talent (but still probably higher simply due to Odom's skillset) before Gasol came on board.

weebo
01-09-2014, 01:16 PM

If it means "most skilled", no Lebron isnt the best. If it means "most effective", then yes Lebron is the best.

Personally, I think "most effective" would be more fitting. Going back to Shaq... if you could have one possession where either Shaq or Timmy could go at a defender one on one in the post, who would you trust more to take that shot? I think most people would take Shaq, simply because he is too physically dominant for any one person to handle, even though Timmy is undoubtedly a more skilled post player. Or another comparison, would be Dirk and Nash. Back in the day, they would always have shooting competitions, and Nash would generally beat Dirk. But who would you rather have take a big time jump shot? Most would probably say Dirk, because he is a more effective shooter than Nash (largely due to his size), even though Nash is a more polished shooter.

In each case, the general consensus would say that Shaq in his prime was a "better" post player than Duncan, and that Dirk in his prime was a "better" shooter than Nash.

If Lebron is the most unstoppable player in the post, I think he deserves the title of "best" post player, even though Timmy, Gasol, Carmelo, Kobe, and Bynum are all more skilled and polished post scorers.

i'd take Tammy…just send shaq to the line and watch him choke

Phillip
01-09-2014, 01:18 PM
i'd take Tammy…just send shaq to the line and watch him choke

retarded, considering teams had no qualms about hack a timmy either.

weebo
01-09-2014, 01:18 PM
retarded, considering teams had no qualms about hack a timmy either.

really? when?

irishock
01-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I believe this as well. But Kobe fanboys/Lebron haters are the only ones who say otherwise.

Lebron has been the best basketball player in the league since the Detroit game 5. He may not have been as polished as Kobe, but no single player was more valuable to their team and more effective all around than Lebron has been since 07.

If you swap Varejao (however its spelled) with Gasol for those years that Lebron was in Cleveland, he easily wins 2-3 championships during the same span that Kobe won his 2, and this isn't even an argument whatsoever. Kobe unquestionably had the superior team around him, yet Lebron consistently somehow had his team massively overachieving and winning 60+ games, something Kobe wasn't able to do with a comparable level of talent (but still probably higher simply due to Odom's skillset) before Gasol came on board.

Kobe's not even number 2 for me. Dirk's been better than him since 2007. Give Dirk the best backcourt in the league (as Kobe got the best frontcourt in the league) and Phil Jackson, he easily wins 2-3 as well.

spurraider21
01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Hack-a-Duncan was never viable. he only had 1 season below 60%, and even then it was 59.9%. While that's not a great number, you don't want to intentionally send him to the line over and over. Granted, teams would hack him when in scoring position, but that's no different than darn near any good big man. in 11 of his 17 seasons, he has shot 69% or better.

resistanze
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Lebron has been the best basketball player in the league since the Detroit game 5.

Pretty much. Hell, he was my MVP in 2006.

ambchang
01-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Lebron's the best everything at this point, it really hasn't been since Jordan that the league saw someone with the level of offensive dominance like Lebron. Sure, Shaq gives you two points during the early 2000's like no other can, but he had notable weaknesses such as free throw shooting or any reasonable range (whether any team can exploit that weakness is another matter), but Lebron is a threat to score or pass at a reasonable clip anywhere on the court.

Most of Lebron's post effectiveness is, as most have already mentioned, due to his physical dominance, but that doesn't make him any less "good".

spurraider21
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Lebron's the best everything at this point, it really hasn't been since Jordan that the league saw someone with the level of offensive dominance like Lebron. Sure, Shaq gives you two points during the early 2000's like no other can, but he had notable weaknesses such as free throw shooting or any reasonable range (whether any team can exploit that weakness is another matter), but Lebron is a threat to score or pass at a reasonable clip anywhere on the court.

Most of Lebron's post effectiveness is, as most have already mentioned, due to his physical dominance, but that doesn't make him any less "good".
true. i think most people will accept that he's the most effective post player

Killakobe81
01-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Fair points. I dont have any issues with Lebron so that is a fine distinction.

Killakobe81
01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Pretty much. Hell, he was my MVP in 2006.

I thought so then the spurs exposed him (despite a mediocre cast)
so did Mavs in 2011 ...
This new Lebron is EVEN better than the one who ethered the Pistons in 2006 (?)

ambchang
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
I thought so then the spurs exposed him (despite a mediocre cast)
so did Mavs in 2011 ...
This new Lebron is EVEN better than the one who ethered the Pistons in 2006 (?)

The cavs had major holes in the roster and it took good coaches to exploit it. Designing a defense that would crowd up on Lebron and be close enough to bother the other shooters is easier said than done. Thing is the spurs were well coached and can execute that defensive game plan to perfection. To make thig better for the spurs, brown had zero counter moves.

As for the Mavs, it was a similar situation, only the support was better with the heAt than the Mavs. That and also Lebron was shutdown pretty well.

spurraider21
01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
lebron was overmatched in 07, but he looked scared in '11

Killakobe81
01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
lebron was overmatched in 07, but he looked scared in '11

and that is MJ lovers wont ever give him full respect.
Personally i like the guy great player he has had some missteps inthe Finals but so has Magic, Kobe, Kareem, bird and even Mj ...but Mj never lost.

LnGrrrR
01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Irishock, pretty much what you said, but you missed the point.

If you put forth an argument that Kobe, TD etc etc were better players than Lebron BEFORE 2011, you're not an idiot. There are valid arguments to be made for Kobe, TD, etc etc.

If you argued that after 2011, you are an idiot.

irishock
01-09-2014, 04:49 PM

If you put forth an argument that Kobe, TD etc etc were better players than Lebron BEFORE 2011, you're not an idiot. There are valid arguments to be made for Kobe, TD, etc etc.

Duncan's decline began right after his 4th ring, and Kobe had his MVP in 08 but was past his prime by the time he won B2B titles. I think it's quite clear LeBron has been the best player in the NBA since 07.

Phillip
01-09-2014, 05:08 PM

well put

Arcadian
01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
so what was shaq ?

Shaq had a dropstep move and counter-move...as he likes to explain all the time on TNT. :lol

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2014, 05:46 PM
I'd say Duncan or Kobe was the best in 2007, and Kobe was #1 in 2008, but it's clearly been Lebron since 2009, tbh..