PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Who is More Difficult to Guard - Carmela or Lebron?

Calispursfan11
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
While Lebeta is clearly the best in the league atm, some have called Carmela the most difficult individual to guard in the league. Looking at Carmela, he also appears to have gained enough weight in flab to rival Lebron's overall freight train size in the post and on the dribble drive, giving him even more of an edge in those situations. I hate Carmela even worse than Lebron but the argument can be made that fatboy's individual (not team) offensive skills are equal to or better than Lebron's atm. Thoughts?

RsxPiimp
01-09-2014, 10:07 PM
It's 2014 bro, Lebron is the hardest player to guard in the league ever since he developed a consistent jumpshot.

lefty
01-09-2014, 10:11 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/832662742.gif?1389322196

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
:lol people that argue Carmelo is the toughest player to guard or the best scorer are so vanilla, tbh..that argument was popular in 2009, but I'm not surprised a moron like OP would bring this up in 2014, tbh..

CitizenDwayne
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
While Lebeta is clearly the best in the league atm, some have called Carmela the most difficult individual to guard in the league. Looking at Carmela, he also appears to have gained enough weight in flab to rival Lebron's overall freight train size in the post and on the dribble drive, giving him even more of an edge in those situations. I hate Carmela even worse than Lebron but the argument can be made that fatboy's individual (not team) offensive skills are equal to or better than Lebron's atm. Thoughts?

What person, with any legitimacy, is still making that claim.

Rogue
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I remember Kobe once said fat guy was the most difficult to guard. Bron is unarguably better overall but Melo has the edge in offense though the gap is rather small. Melo only hurts his team's offense when he goes chucker mode imho

DAF86
01-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Lebron 'cause against Carmelo 60% of the time you just have to wait standing there for him to take a 18 foot shot fading away.

apalisoc_9
01-09-2014, 10:41 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/832662742.gif?1389322196

Strong help defense.

tim_duncan_fan
01-09-2014, 10:42 PM
59% shooting wing player.

End of discussion.

DAF86
01-09-2014, 10:45 PM
59% shooting wing player.

End of discussion.

I had to check to see if that was real, damn. :lol

tim_duncan_fan
01-09-2014, 10:47 PM
I had to check to see if that was real, damn. :lol
It's unreal. GOAT-level to be quite honest, and I don't even like Lebron.

That's just a crazy-ass number.

Clipper Nation
01-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I hate Carmela even worse than Lebron but the argument can be made that fatboy's individual (not team) offensive skills are equal to or better than Lebron's atm.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-09-2014, 10:49 PM
:lol people that argue Carmelo is the toughest player to guard or the best scorer are so vanilla, tbh..that argument was popular in 2009, but I'm not surprised a moron like OP would bring this up in 2014, tbh..

why are you so gay for lebron, tbh?

SpurSwag
01-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Like someone said, this argument could be made in 2010 the latest but it is clearly Lebron. Melo settles way too often for horrible jumpers while lebron doesn't settle at all anymore

HarlemHeat37
01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
why are you so gay for lebron, tbh?

Would you like Lebron better if he purred and meow'd more often, tbh?..

HI-FI
01-09-2014, 11:00 PM
one is chubby and the other uses PEDs better than Lance Armstrong, so I'll go with the latter.

Clipper Nation
01-09-2014, 11:01 PM

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-09-2014, 11:12 PM

Or if his gf's sister told him he needed to like Lebron :lol

spurraider21
01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I remember Kobe once said fat guy was the most difficult to guard. Bron is unarguably better overall but Melo has the edge in offense though the gap is rather small. Melo only hurts his team's offense when he goes chucker mode imho
wtf does kobe know about guarding players these days

Calispursfan11
01-10-2014, 12:42 AM
:lol heat at losing to fatboy's team tonite. :lol Lebron nutsuckers as well. He may be the best right now but he's no GOAT. Come on now. He may someday be close but he would need a few more championships and even then, with the superteam around him, he probably still falls short. Other than Pippen, MJ had to carry mostly scrubs and role players by himself.

Calispursfan11
01-10-2014, 12:43 AM

How's the Lebron cum guzzling business been treating you, Paki fucker?

RsxPiimp
01-10-2014, 03:25 AM
:lol heat at losing to fatboy's team tonite. :lol Lebron nutsuckers as well. He may be the best right now but he's no GOAT. Come on now. He may someday be close but he would need a few more championships and even then, with the superteam around him, he probably still falls short. Other than Pippen, MJ had to carry mostly scrubs and role players by himself.

Honestly, with the exception of his fans, I do like Lebron. He's a great player, but he lost his GOAT card in 2011 and his 2013 series wasn't all that impressive as well. He'll be Top 5, perhaps Top 3 but Jaundice undefeated 6x Finals record along with the accolades and his contribution to the game is hard to beat.

irishock
01-10-2014, 04:38 AM

Nasty :lol

Duncan21kid
01-10-2014, 05:12 AM
tbh the only thing melo has over lebron in terms of offense is his jumper. Melo has always had the smoother shot between the two but thats it.

Calispursfan11
01-10-2014, 09:00 AM
According to Stephen A, Lebron wants nothing to do with guarding Melo :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X4sXWKJwc

Tbh Bron Bron looks like a scared deer in the headlights below so Stephen A's theory might be legit.

http://hoopspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/lebron-melo.jpg

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-10-2014, 10:39 AM

i bet you wish you could meow and purr to lebron

JamStone
01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
When Carmelo has it going (particularly when his jumper is on to go along with drives and post-ups), he's unstoppable. The problem is even if he doesn't have it going, he'll still chuck to the detriment of the team. LeBron has become a 40% three point shooter to complement his drive game. And while he may not be the smoothest post player, he's become very effective when he does go down to the block. And when he isn't hitting his jumper, he has no qualms about taking it to the basket every time, where no one can really stop him. You add to that the fact that he's still probably the most dangerous player in the open court so his defender has to also worry about getting back in transition and he's a great and willing passer/playmaker, and you really have no answer for him. LeBron the defender could not guard LeBron the offensive player. Melo might be more skilled at scoring, but he's not tougher to guard. LeBron has become consistently unguardable.

I've had several arguments with friends about LeBron. I'm no LeBron fan, but he is the most talented basketball player I've ever watch play, including Jordan. LeBron may not go down as the "greatest" ever because other factors other than talent are part of that determination. But on sheer natural talent and dominance on the court, he's the best I've ever seen.

Phillip
01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Carmelo is one of the most skilled one-on-one scorers I have ever seen. Maybe the most skilled. He just finds ways to get space for any shot he wants.

His shot selection is bad, but his abilities are outrageous.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Carmelo is one of the most skilled one-on-one scorers I have ever seen. Maybe the most skilled. He just finds ways to get space for any shot he wants.

His shot selection is bad, but his abilities are outrageous.

Phillip
01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Other than Pippen, MJ had to carry mostly scrubs and role players by himself.

yeah, this is not true at all.

Grant, Armstrong, Rodman, and Kukoc were all very solid basketball players.

And Pippen was a hell of a player himself.

Clipper Nation
01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
yeah, this is not true at all.

Grant, Armstrong, Rodman, and Kukoc were all very solid basketball players.

And Pippen was a hell of a player himself.
:lol Another vanilla take from CSF, buying into the ESPN/NBA marketing spin of Jordan, tbh....

Buddy Mignon
01-10-2014, 12:14 PM
James doesn't settle. He knows his destiny is at the rim.

01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Melo can score anywhere tbh I mean so can bron but Melo is a more polished scorer.

01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
When Carmelo has it going (particularly when his jumper is on to go along with drives and post-ups), he's unstoppable. The problem is even if he doesn't have it going, he'll still chuck to the detriment of the team. LeBron has become a 40% three point shooter to complement his drive game. And while he may not be the smoothest post player, he's become very effective when he does go down to the block. And when he isn't hitting his jumper, he has no qualms about taking it to the basket every time, where no one can really stop him. You add to that the fact that he's still probably the most dangerous player in the open court so his defender has to also worry about getting back in transition and he's a great and willing passer/playmaker, and you really have no answer for him. LeBron the defender could not guard LeBron the offensive player. Melo might be more skilled at scoring, but he's not tougher to guard. LeBron has become consistently unguardable.

I've had several arguments with friends about LeBron. I'm no LeBron fan, but he is the most talented basketball player I've ever watch play, including Jordan. LeBron may not go down as the "greatest" ever because other factors other than talent are part of that determination. But on sheer natural talent and dominance on the court, he's the best I've ever seen.
LeBron is just an HGH pumping freak that uses that athleticism to drive to the basket like a freight train. Because of that defenders can't defend him close so he gets a lot more space for jump shots than most. Lol @ bron being better than MJ. MJ played when there was hand checking aka tougher defense and destroyed everyone's anus. Gtfo

JamStone
01-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Thinking and suggesting LeBron is only effective because he's an athletic freak or because he freight trains to the basket is so ignorant. There have been other athletic freaks in the NBA who never dominated the way LeBron has. Why isn't Marvin Williams a beast? He has a similar size and athletic profile to LeBron. Why isn't Josh Smith a 25/5/5 type of guy? Isn't he an athletic freak? Why didn't Stromile Swift become an NBA superstar? Why isn't Blake Griffin the second best player in the league? He's a world class athlete who looks like he lifts a lot. Why didn't Xavier McDaniel rule the NBA in his day, especially when not all NBA players lifted to that level back then?

LeBron actually has skills. Sure he uses his athleticism, speed, and strength to get to the basket. But he still has to have the body control and touch to finish, often through contact and with either hand. Otherwise, the top players in the NBA would all be athletic freaks who work out to get big and strong. It's not enough to be a freak athlete. It's not enough to be what you call a HGH pumping freak. If it were that easy, there would be way more LeBrons. And assuming LeBron just uses athleticism ignores the fact that he's an elite passer, a 40% three point shooter, and one of the top defenders in the league.

You can hate LeBron all you want. I don't like the person. But as a basketball player, discrediting him especially over the last couple seasons, just sounds stupid and silly.

JamStone
01-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Michael Jordan playing in an era of handchecking is completely negated by the fact that NBA officials gave him a lopsidedly favorable whistle. Also, zone defense wasn't allowed back then so double teaming was not as prevalent, particularly if a team had good shooters to spread the floor.

Regardless, Jordan didn't destroy everyone's anus. He never beat the Bird Celtics in the playoffs. And after the Bulls first championship run when they beat aging Pistons and Lakers teams, in the next five championship runs, those dynasty Chicago Bulls never faced a team that had won an NBA championship or would go on to win an NBA championship in the post season. So in 6 championship runs, the Bulls only beat two teams whose core players won a championship. That's not just in the NBA Finals or even just the ECF and Finals. That includes every playoff series during those title runs.Michael Jordan may be the greatest player ever, but he also benefited greatly by timing, when the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons all got old and the competition had weakened not only in the Eastern Conference, but the entire NBA. Credit Jordan for still winning those titles. But sometimes you need context.

By comparison, for all of LeBron's failures and foibles on and off the court, and acknowledging he has failed to be as consistently good in the playoffs as Jordan, with only two titles, LeBron led teams have already beat four teams in the playoffs that have won championships: Pistons, Celtics twice, Spurs. Jordan wasn't really tested the way LeBron has been in his post season career.

Clipper Nation
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Also, handchecking was banned in 1994 in order to make things easy on Jordan, so the :cry "he played in the handchecking era" :cry argument is idiotic, tbh....

LeBron isn't even favored that much by refs compared to the calls that Durant, Kirby, Harden, Wade, etc. get and the no-calls that "physical" teams like Indiana and Memphis get.... imagine how butthurt the haters would be if LeBron got MJ-level favorable officiating :lol

Phillip
01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Thinking and suggesting LeBron is only effective because he's an athletic freak or because he freight trains to the basket is so ignorant. There have been other athletic freaks in the NBA who never dominated the way LeBron has. Why isn't Marvin Williams a beast? He has a similar size and athletic profile to LeBron. Why isn't Josh Smith a 25/5/5 type of guy? Isn't he an athletic freak? Why didn't Stromile Swift become an NBA superstar? Why isn't Blake Griffin the second best player in the league? He's a world class athlete who looks like he lifts a lot. Why didn't Xavier McDaniel rule the NBA in his day, especially when not all NBA players lifted to that level back then?

LeBron actually has skills. Sure he uses his athleticism, speed, and strength to get to the basket. But he still has to have the body control and touch to finish, often through contact and with either hand. Otherwise, the top players in the NBA would all be athletic freaks who work out to get big and strong. It's not enough to be a freak athlete. It's not enough to be what you call a HGH pumping freak. If it were that easy, there would be way more LeBrons. And assuming LeBron just uses athleticism ignores the fact that he's an elite passer, a 40% three point shooter, and one of the top defenders in the league.

You can hate LeBron all you want. I don't like the person. But as a basketball player, discrediting him especially over the last couple seasons, just sounds stupid and silly.

Michael Jordan playing in an era of handchecking is completely negated by the fact that NBA officials gave him a lopsidedly favorable whistle. Also, zone defense wasn't allowed back then so double teaming was not as prevalent, particularly if a team had good shooters to spread the floor.

Regardless, Jordan didn't destroy everyone's anus. He never beat the Bird Celtics in the playoffs. And after the Bulls first championship run when they beat aging Pistons and Lakers teams, in the next five championship runs, those dynasty Chicago Bulls never faced a team that had won an NBA championship or would go on to win an NBA championship in the post season. So in 6 championship runs, the Bulls only beat two teams whose core players won a championship. That's not just in the NBA Finals or even just the ECF and Finals. That includes every playoff series during those title runs.Michael Jordan may be the greatest player ever, but he also benefited greatly by timing, when the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons all got old and the competition had weakened not only in the Eastern Conference, but the entire NBA. Credit Jordan for still winning those titles. But sometimes you need context.

By comparison, for all of LeBron's failures and foibles on and off the court, and acknowledging he has failed to be as consistently good in the playoffs as Jordan, with only two titles, LeBron led teams have already beat four teams in the playoffs that have won championships: Pistons, Celtics twice, Spurs. Jordan wasn't really tested the way LeBron has been in his post season career.

:clap

Clipper Nation
01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Melo can score anywhere tbh I mean so can bron but Melo is a more polished scorer.

How is Melo the more "polished" scorer when LeBron is more efficient and has better shot selection? Maybe heroball iso-chucking is "polished" to you but it certainly isn't to me....

whitemamba
01-10-2014, 04:53 PM

The mutha fucking goods tbh. :tu

sook
01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Lebron and its not even close.

LkrFan
01-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Ask Bron and D-Whistle tbh:

kh9DkKHX9oA

Busted both of them up per par. LBJ is a good defender, but he cannot guard Melo. No one can when he is on. Again, if we could get Daddy Tyson or someone like Asik to defend the paint, I'd take Melo in a heartbeat.

lefty
01-10-2014, 06:13 PM
It's unreal. GOAT-level to be quite honest, and I don't even like Lebron.

That's just a crazy-ass number.
Lebron is shooting 59% because of good decision making

Stockton shot around 50% during his career, which is impressive for a guard, but he wasn't a legendary shooter; I mean, he wouldn't beat Mark Price in a 3 pt contest; however, his decision making was close to perfect

A good shot is better than a bad shot
(well, duh)

Calispursfan11
01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Ask Bron and D-Whistle tbh:

kh9DkKHX9oA

Busted both of them up per par. LBJ is a good defender, but he cannot guard Melo. No one can when he is on. Again, if we could get Daddy Tyson or someone like Asik to defend the paint, I'd take Melo in a heartbeat.

Clearly this thread establishes that the debate is real and continues even in 2014. This also makes clear that Lebron fears/can't gaurd Melo for shit. Fatboy scores right in Bron's face from everywhere on the floor. Embarrassing defensive outing for wannabe GOAT :lol

Calispursfan11
01-10-2014, 10:02 PM
:lol Another vanilla take from CSF, buying into the ESPN/NBA marketing spin of Jordan, tbh....

From the so called Clipper fan who has a Jesus-like pic of Lebeta in his sig. Yeah okaaaay...

Calispursfan11
01-10-2014, 10:05 PM
James doesn't settle. He knows his destiny is at the rim.

His destiny is to rim... Bosh tbh

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/4568543_700b.jpg

01-10-2014, 10:30 PM

Good read tbh you got me haha
Regarding the LeBron bit, I by no means meant to say LeBron was not skilled. On top of that he has that athleticism and high bball iq, which is why he's so successful. But because of that athleticism and skill/athleticism to abuse teams at the basket it makes everything else for him easier than what it would be for some other players. It's not a knock to his skill per se..

Also lol @ people bringing up his 40% 3pt percentage. He gets hot but he is not a knock down three point shooter. He picks his shots (good bball iq) well and is sagged off of, rightfully so. Are you honestly going to tell me LeBron is equally good 3pt shooter as Steph Curry who's also shooting 40% from deep this season iirc?

But again, quality post, you came with the goods.

01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
How is Melo the more "polished" scorer when LeBron is more efficient and has better shot selection? Maybe heroball iso-chucking is "polished" to you but it certainly isn't to me....

Bron is a better overall player, but Melo is a better shooter and post player and has been their whole careers. Whenever you hear nba players ask who the hardest player to guard is, it's melo. Never LeBron.