PDA

View Full Version : 15 NFL Hall of Fame finalists revealed

spurraider21
01-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Walter Jones (OT), Marvin Harrison (WR), Tim Brown (WR), Andre Reed (WR), Jerome Bettis (RB), Tony Dungy (coach), Morten Andersen (kicker), Derrick Brooks (linebacker), Eddie DeBartolo (owner), Kevin Greene (linebacker), Charles Haley (DE), John Lynch (S), Will Shields (OG), Michael Strahan (DE), and Aeneas Williams (CB)

there are also 2 more appointed by the senior committee, i'm not sure who they are, and even if i did, i can't comment on players that played on black and white film tbh...

a maximum of 7 can be inducted. who do you have?

1) Walter Jones - he, Ogden, and Pace were the 3 most dominant left tackles of my time. was a phenomenal athlete and anchored a unit that enabled Shaun Alexander to look a lot better than he actually was

2) Charles Haley - a dominant player who anchored the defensive lines of two very underrated defenses, the Niners and Cowboys of the 80's and 90's. a big part of 5 superbowl teams, and ended up with over 100 career sacks

3) Kevin Greene - a guy that somehow goes unnoticed on the all time sacks list, where he ranks 3rd with 160. a great edge rusher not so dissimilar from Derrick Thomas. 8 seasons of 12 or more sacks. spent the first half of his career with the LA rams and bounced around afterwards, but never dipped in productivity. in his last NFL season he logged 12 sacks at age 37

4) Tim Brown - never is really discussed in the all time WR rankings, which is usually dominated by Rice, Moss, Carter, Largent, Irvin, etc. One of 8 players in NFL history with 1000 catches, 10,000 receiving yards, and 100 receiving touchdowns. 5th all time in catches, 6th all time in receiving yards, and tied for 7th in touchdowns. For the first half of his career, his starting QB's were Jay Shroeder, Tod Marinovich, and Jeff Hostetler. This is the reason why I put him here instead of Marvin Harrison this year. In the second half of his career he was lucky enough to play with Rich Gannon. Made a couple of pro bowls early in his career as a kickoff returner and once led the NFL in punt returns. Yes i spent more time pimping a raider than any other candidate, but bite me. he deserves it.

5) Derrick Brooks - He and Warren Sapp were drafted together, and together they formed a dynasty of a defense. They were a damn good team for many years but were plagued with shitty offenses led by fucks like Shaun King. Brooks is what made Monte Kiffin's famed "Tampa 2" defense possible, as a linebacker who could drop into coverage and essentially play safety on passing downs. He ended up with 25 interceptions and six pick-6's, pretty remarkable for a linebacker. He forced 24 fumbles in his career, and is the main reason the bucs defense was what is was, and had a pretty damn good performance in the superbowl against my Raiders. In their superbowl season he was the DPOY and had 4 defensive touchdowns.

6) Aeneas Williams - Maybe I'm too young to appreciate some of the other names on the list... but Aeneas Williams ended his career with 55 interceptions, which is a phenomenal number. He had many great seasons for the Cardinals, and on his first year with the Rams, they made the superbowl (where they lost to the Pats). In the playoff run, he had 3 interceptions (2 for touchdowns). Ended his career with 12 defensive touchdowns and was one of the better corners in run support throughout his career.

7) Marvin Harrison or Michael Strahan. I have no idea which I prefer, i'll update it when i make up my mind. Probably Strahan though

Which 7 would you pick?

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Marvin Harrison still has an open murder investigation I thought?

Put Andre Reed in already you fuckers:cry

dirk4mvp
01-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Starvin Marvin is getting in whether Manning made him or not. The numbers are too strong to say otherwise.

spurraider21
01-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Harrison and Brown put up comparable careers as far as receiving productivity, but Brown did so with vastly inferior QB play and was also one of the best return men in the league in his younger days. Also I'm a Raider fan so I'm biased :lol

BUMP
01-10-2014, 02:44 AM
what does this reveal??

http://24.media.tumblr.com/179c62d66aaf0be4817a8bd0213082d0/tumblr_mntxaoc5PW1splqw3o1_500.jpg

Floyd Pacquiao
01-10-2014, 03:02 AM
^That walrus also resembles Mike Holmgren, tbh.

spurraider21
01-10-2014, 03:06 AM
Andy Reid = Andre Reed? :lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Ogden, Pace, Jones and Roaf were the beast LT's of our generation

spurraider21
01-10-2014, 03:10 AM
^yep. Roaf slipped my mind there

Roaf and Shields were an absolute wall on the Chiefs offensive line, which is why Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson were so fucking productive, and its also why Larry Johnson fell off a cliff when Roaf and Shields retired in consecutive seasons

Jones and Hutchinson were a similar duo, though Hutchinson played a few great seasons for the Vikings too, in between McKinnie (when he was still good) and Matt Birk

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2014, 03:16 AM
You always feel robbed when your guys don't make it to the HOF, especially when dudes like Joe Namath and Lynn Swann are in

spurraider21
01-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Yeah... Lynn Swann has no business in the hall of fame when there are so many better receivers waiting. Heck, his own contemporary, Cliff Branch, has superior numbers and is more HOF worthy than he is. But Swann has the famous slow-motion replay of his diving catch against the Cowboys

AchillesHeel
01-10-2014, 03:21 AM
Marvin deserves to be in the HOF.

leemajors
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM
debartolo deserves to be in there.

JoeTait75
01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Yeah... Lynn Swann has no business in the hall of fame when there are so many better receivers waiting. Heck, his own contemporary, Cliff Branch, has superior numbers and is more HOF worthy than he is. But Swann has the famous slow-motion replay of his diving catch against the Cowboys

Drew Pearson and Harold Carmichael also have stronger resumes than Swann, imo.

Mac Speedie deserves to be in without question. He was the best receiver in football for a number of years after Don Hutson retired. Unfortunately he spent most of his career in the old AAFC.

I would have voted in Sterling Sharpe before Cris Carter, too. To me Carter was a glorified possession receiver. Sharpe was a beast. He didn't play very long so people don't seem to remember what a great player he was.

LnGrrrR
01-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Man, this is a really crappy year. Harrison, Jones, and Haley would be my picks.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Kevin Greene - Dynamite moustache/mullet combo. And much like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders he was a two sport star.

1uxeo7ObZSA

spurraider21
02-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Walter Jones (OT), Marvin Harrison (WR), Tim Brown (WR), Andre Reed (WR), Jerome Bettis (RB), Tony Dungy (coach), Morten Andersen (kicker), Derrick Brooks (linebacker), Eddie DeBartolo (owner), Kevin Greene (linebacker), Charles Haley (DE), John Lynch (S), Will Shields (OG), Michael Strahan (DE), and Aeneas Williams (CB)

there are also 2 more appointed by the senior committee, i'm not sure who they are, and even if i did, i can't comment on players that played on black and white film tbh...

a maximum of 7 can be inducted. who do you have?

1) Walter Jones - he, Ogden, and Pace were the 3 most dominant left tackles of my time. was a phenomenal athlete and anchored a unit that enabled Shaun Alexander to look a lot better than he actually was

2) Charles Haley - a dominant player who anchored the defensive lines of two very underrated defenses, the Niners and Cowboys of the 80's and 90's. a big part of 5 superbowl teams, and ended up with over 100 career sacks

3) Kevin Greene - a guy that somehow goes unnoticed on the all time sacks list, where he ranks 3rd with 160. a great edge rusher not so dissimilar from Derrick Thomas. 8 seasons of 12 or more sacks. spent the first half of his career with the LA rams and bounced around afterwards, but never dipped in productivity. in his last NFL season he logged 12 sacks at age 37

4) Tim Brown - never is really discussed in the all time WR rankings, which is usually dominated by Rice, Moss, Carter, Largent, Irvin, etc. One of 8 players in NFL history with 1000 catches, 10,000 receiving yards, and 100 receiving touchdowns. 5th all time in catches, 6th all time in receiving yards, and tied for 7th in touchdowns. For the first half of his career, his starting QB's were Jay Shroeder, Tod Marinovich, and Jeff Hostetler. This is the reason why I put him here instead of Marvin Harrison this year. In the second half of his career he was lucky enough to play with Rich Gannon. Made a couple of pro bowls early in his career as a kickoff returner and once led the NFL in punt returns. Yes i spent more time pimping a raider than any other candidate, but bite me. he deserves it.

5) Derrick Brooks - He and Warren Sapp were drafted together, and together they formed a dynasty of a defense. They were a damn good team for many years but were plagued with shitty offenses led by fucks like Shaun King. Brooks is what made Monte Kiffin's famed "Tampa 2" defense possible, as a linebacker who could drop into coverage and essentially play safety on passing downs. He ended up with 25 interceptions and six pick-6's, pretty remarkable for a linebacker. He forced 24 fumbles in his career, and is the main reason the bucs defense was what is was, and had a pretty damn good performance in the superbowl against my Raiders. In their superbowl season he was the DPOY and had 4 defensive touchdowns.

6) Aeneas Williams - Maybe I'm too young to appreciate some of the other names on the list... but Aeneas Williams ended his career with 55 interceptions, which is a phenomenal number. He had many great seasons for the Cardinals, and on his first year with the Rams, they made the superbowl (where they lost to the Pats). In the playoff run, he had 3 interceptions (2 for touchdowns). Ended his career with 12 defensive touchdowns and was one of the better corners in run support throughout his career.

7) Marvin Harrison or Michael Strahan. I have no idea which I prefer, i'll update it when i make up my mind. Probably Strahan though

Which 7 would you pick?
i think Kevin Greene was a huge snub. i'm gladly shocked that Ray Guy made it though :lmao

monosylab1k
02-01-2014, 08:20 PM
So glad to see Andre Reed make it. Alot of deserving WR's are getting shut out, its nice to see him make it in. Congrats, DeadlyDynasty

also, :lmao marvin harrison. Maybe he can murder a few voters who snubbed him.

DeadlyDynasty
02-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Not the best triplets of their era, but definitely long overdue for AR...happy for him, big part of the reason why I grew up loving football:tu

DeadlyDynasty
02-01-2014, 08:34 PM
So glad to see Andre Reed make it. Alot of deserving WR's are getting shut out, its nice to see him make it in.
It's especially maddening when guys like Lynn Swann are in the HOF on the merit of 2 catches. If that's the barometer, then I hope Canton has David Tyree's bust ready

spurraider21
02-01-2014, 09:10 PM
It's especially maddening when guys like Lynn Swann are in the HOF on the merit of 2 catches. If that's the barometer, then I hope Canton has David Tyree's bust ready
Lynn Swann couldn't hold a candle to his own contemporary like Cliff Branch, yet he was in ahead of much more deserving receivers like Reed and the rest of this class

DeadlyDynasty
02-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Lynn Swann couldn't hold a candle to his own contemporary like Cliff Branch, yet he was in ahead of much more deserving receivers like Reed and the rest of this class
Branch was a beast, and Mel Blount's worst nightmare.

spurraider21
02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Branch was a beast, and Mel Blount's worst nightmare.
he didn't make a diving catch which he shouldn't have bobbled in the first place that was caught in slow motion though

Avante
02-01-2014, 10:55 PM

I've been saying that for years. Why is Lynn Swann in the HOF if Cliff Branch isn't?

This is ridiculous

Branch

501 receptions, 8685 yards, 67tds, 17.3 average and two seasons with over a 1000 yards

Swann

336, 5462, 51, 16.3 and he never had a 1000 yards season. Actually John Stallworth had better numbers, who deserves to be in the HOF.

While at Colorado Branch ran the 100yards in 9.2...NINE...times, with the WR at 9.1. At the 1972 Olympic trials he took fifth, just missing making the 4x1 team. Fellow NFLer to be Gerald Tinker out of Kent State (with a 9.4PR) just edging him out.

Yes Andre Reed and without question Marvin Harrison belong.

Avante
02-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Drew Pearson and Harold Carmichael also have stronger resumes than Swann, imo.

Mac Speedie deserves to be in without question. He was the best receiver in football for a number of years after Don Hutson retired. Unfortunately he spent most of his career in the old AAFC.

I would have voted in Sterling Sharpe before Cris Carter, too. To me Carter was a glorified possession receiver. Sharpe was a beast. He didn't play very long so people don't seem to remember what a great player he was.

Don't forget Speedie's teammate Dante Levelli is in the HOF, which he shouldn't be if Speedie isn't. Speedie had by far the better numbers, but....Levelli did have a longer career, so he has the superior "career numbers" but only because of longevity.

Speedie had a 67-1145 season, Levelli never caught over 49 passes in any season and never had even a 900 yards receiving one.

Chris Carter's stats totally dwarf what Sterling Sharpe put up, I;m talking it's dramatic. Sure if Sharpe had played as long as Carter, hmmmm? But he didn't and Carter had a ton of great seasons.

The Chargers had a receiver back in the day named John Jefferson, he was as gifted/good as anyone not named Jerry Rice. What a shame he got into with management, ended up in Green Bay that already had James Lofton who is in the HOF.