PDA

View Full Version : Timmy PPG About to Drop Below 20.0 :(

Skull-1
01-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Career PPG soon to be < 20.0 :(

We all know why, but I hate to see it happen....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Manu's has dropped below 15 (14.8). It's sad but that's what happens when you play through older ages. They don't care so we shouldn't either.

dallasmaverickslose
01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
For some reason I doubt Timmy really cares.

Skull-1
01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Manu's has dropped below 15 (14.8). It's sad but that's what happens when you play through older ages. They don't care so we shouldn't either.

For some reason I doubt Timmy really cares.

Fair takes. Still sucks to see it.

dallasmaverickslose
01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Fair takes. Still sucks to see it.

Tbh though, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad to see those numbers drop.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I check his numbers once every couple weeks to see his PPG getting closer and closer to dropping below 20. So it's not just me. It's a bummer to see, but it really isn't that big a deal tbh. But I still keep checking.

Sigz
01-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Who... cares?

FireMicoHalili
01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Aw Obamadontcare :(

Drom John
01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
It's kind of like the post about Tim about to be the 5th player with 1000 wins.
Tim is already one of only five players with 999 wins.
20.0 PPG is an imaginary line.

look_at_g_shred
01-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Who... cares?

apalisoc_9
01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Tim doesn't care...why should you?

SpursRock20
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Tim doesn't care...why should you?
Because I like to proclaim Duncan as one of the best bigs ever more than he does.

aal04
01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
more worried about his all-nba all-defensive selections to be honest. Tim will be forgotten in 20 years time. No one remembers intangibles.

SpursFan86
01-10-2014, 05:00 PM
more worried about his all-nba all-defensive selections to be honest. Tim will be forgotten in 20 years time. No one remembers intangibles.

People remember championships. Duncan has 4. No one is forgetting Duncan in 20 years.

Jwash_1986
01-10-2014, 05:38 PM
He will forever be the best Power Forward to play the games. He doesn't stat pad so of course his number will decline and also not reflect that of what he once was. But at the age of 37 doing what he does out there. I'm sure he happy that he's able to compete at a high level. Stupid thread. Talking about one of the most unselfish players and worrying about his PPG dropping under 20? Really?

Obstructed_View
01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
If the Spurs hadn't been within 30 seconds of a title last year, I'd be much closer to giving a shit about Timmy's career stats.

Captivus
01-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Average decreases and total increases

JR3
01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
isn't points per 28 minutes a better metric anyway?

Sean Cagney
01-10-2014, 08:05 PM
I noticed this the other night and me being a huge fan have monitored it the last few years and knew if he played long enough it would happen. I doubt he cares at all and we should not but honestly career over 20 ppg and 10 rebounds etc. just looks good for some reason. Tim please average more than 20 for the rest of the year and win a ring and make us STATS people happy :lol

Tim is forever in this game and etched in stone, stop it. LOL at forgotten in 20 years time.

pgardn
01-10-2014, 08:12 PM
You watch the man play.

Fuck the stats.

We got/get to watch one of the best basketball players of all time. One tiny item, who have you seen snag more bad passes to the post than Tim? What big man have you seen with better hands? This is just a tiny fraction of stats you will never see.

r0drig0lac
01-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Because I like to proclaim Duncan as one of the best bigs ever more than he does.
lol, this

mute
01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
He's gonna get shafted in the top 10 debates... people are gonna think he wasn't a capable scorer/offensive threat. And most of all, you can't even say you could expect 20 and 10 from him every night because it'd inaccurate.

007nites
01-11-2014, 12:36 AM
There are only 6 players who have averaged 20 and 10 in a career that is 17+ seasons.

Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Moses Malone
Karl Malone (Just barely, averaged 10.1 career rebounds)
Walt Bellamy (Only played 1 game in his 17th season and averaged a career 20.1ppg)

Arcadian
01-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Still averaged 20 ppg his first 8 seasons, and 9 of his first 10.

Also averaged 19 ppg 2 other seasons, and saying that's worse is splitting hairs.

J.T.
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Stats are for the fans. Players might appreciate that they appear on some all-time stat lists like scoring, blocks, rebounds, etc, but I'm sure for a guy like Duncan who didn't constantly compete for scoring titles like the Bryant and Durant types, hardly gives a shit if his career PPG goes under 20.

DMC
01-11-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't mind seeing his PPG drop if it's because his minutes have dropped and if it's also because there are contributors elsewhere on the team. I want a competitive team, Tim is just part of it. I respect the guy and appreciate what he's done and I've enjoyed him immensely while he's been in the game, but I was a Spurs fan before Tim and will be after Tim. Besides, Tim is much younger than me and set to retire soon. I hate him.

But imagine where you work; when they tally how many phone calls you took this week and it's the most of all the floor of telemarketers so your name goes up there and you win some steak knives or a Dirt Devil. Now fast forward 16 years and people are talking about how your calls per week average is dropping. Do you really give a shit?

timmy2003
01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
It will happen very very soon.

Sean Cagney
01-12-2014, 02:43 AM
He's gonna get shafted in the top 10 debates... people are gonna think he wasn't a capable scorer/offensive threat. And most of all, you can't even say you could expect 20 and 10 from him every night because it'd inaccurate.

GOOD GOD you again with another shitty post.

Sean Cagney
01-12-2014, 02:45 AM
There are only 6 players who have averaged 20 and 10 in a career that is 17+ seasons.

Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Moses Malone
Karl Malone (Just barely, averaged 10.1 career rebounds)
Walt Bellamy (Only played 1 game in his 17th season and averaged a career 20.1ppg)
That is incredible company there.........

romain.star
01-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Bill Russell only averaged 15.1 points a game and I remember him quite well.

Ok...Averaging 22.1 rebounds to go with 11 rings help a bit too

dbreiden83080
01-12-2014, 10:50 AM
So.. KG is at 18 a game.

dbreiden83080
01-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Duncan was never somebody that played or shot for points even at his peak. He was not looking at his scoring average and thinking what he needed to put up on that night to maintain it..

sananspursfan21
01-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Career avg's are always misleading....any time I check up on stats of former nba players, I look at it season by season. I take the total career avg wth a grain of salt. Usually their highest scoring season jumps out at me. Assuming there are others that do this too, all that's lost is a very minute bragging right

sananspursfan21
01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Yea we should be thankful we aren't kg fans

mute
01-12-2014, 05:43 PM
GOOD GOD you again with another shitty post.

Why do you think this is my opinion? As a fan who's followed him his entire career, of course I know his impact and can read between the lines, but I'm talking about newer, causal fans (like Lakers fans) who will look back and think he wasn't a capable scorer since 19ish ppg is really pedestrian.

pgardn
01-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Bill Russell only averaged 15.1 points a game and I remember him quite well.

Ok...Averaging 22.1 rebounds to go with 11 rings help a bit too

Playing in a league with 8 teams is a huge help. Look at his first year with the Celtics, he was the only black player. He played in the stone age. Thank god he had Chamberlains teams to beat up on.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Playing in a league with 8 teams is a huge help. Look at his first year with the Celtics, he was the only black player. He played in the stone age. Thank god he had Chamberlains teams to beat up on.

It doesn't when Thurmond, Lucas, Chamberlain, Reed, Petit and Bellamy are starting on those opposing 8 teams. It amazes me how people misunderstand the guys that played in that era. Compare and contrast to today's NBA where you see guys like DeJuan Blair, Joson Smith, Pero Antic, etc trotted out as starting C.

If you were to cut the number of NBA teams in half then I think you could say the league is more talented now but between there being 30 teams and almost 2 decades of poor player development in the sport the skill level of the modern NBA is atrocious.

romain.star
01-14-2014, 08:05 AM

So todays Lithuanian army would probably beat the entire Roman Empire Army in 2 days. I don't get your point...

FromWayDowntown
01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
since 19ish ppg is really pedestrian.

That a pretty cynical use of the term "pedestrian."

Of the thousands of men who've appeared in NBA games, there are only 55 (including Tim Duncan, for now) who have maintained career scoring averages of 20 PPG or more. There are another 16 who have maintained career scoring averages of 19 PPG or more. So, in all of the history of the NBA, there are only 71 players who have averaged 19 PPG or more. I'm not sure that being among the top 70 rather than the top 55 turns an exceptional scorer into a pedestrian scorer. And if it does, I'm pretty content with Tim Duncan being a group of players that includes both Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas, whose greatness has never really been questioned despite finishing with scoring averages below 20 PPG.

At that, Tim's likely to be closer to a 20 PPG scorer than a 19 PPG scorer when all is said and done. If he appeared in every game remaining this season (he won't) and didn't score another point in any of those 44 games (he won't), he'd still have a career scoring average of 19.30 at the end of this season, which would keep him in the top 65 all-time. That's hardly pedestrian.

mute
01-16-2014, 12:48 AM
That a pretty cynical use of the term "pedestrian."

Of the thousands of men who've appeared in NBA games, there are only 55 (including Tim Duncan, for now) who have maintained career scoring averages of 20 PPG or more. There are another 16 who have maintained career scoring averages of 19 PPG or more. So, in all of the history of the NBA, there are only 71 players who have averaged 19 PPG or more. I'm not sure that being among the top 70 rather than the top 55 turns an exceptional scorer into a pedestrian scorer. And if it does, I'm pretty content with Tim Duncan being a group of players that includes both Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas, whose greatness has never really been questioned despite finishing with scoring averages below 20 PPG.

At that, Tim's likely to be closer to a 20 PPG scorer than a 19 PPG scorer when all is said and done. If he appeared in every game remaining this season (he won't) and didn't score another point in any of those 44 games (he won't), he'd still have a career scoring average of 19.30 at the end of this season, which would keep him in the top 65 all-time. That's hardly pedestrian.

Well, there's the top 50 players of all time and then there's everyone else. to be honest, arguing and ranking after top 30 is ridiciolous. "oh no, i have him at 31 instead of 35".... what the heck is actually the difference? too much grey area and criteria. almost EVERYONE with the exception of probably magic were known as great scorers and averaged 20+ ppg (probably even more)

wilt
kareem
jordan
hakeem
kobe
shaq
lebron
barkley
west
baylor
oscar
iverson
malone
wilkins
bird...
and so on...

like i said, its not gonna change MY VIEW of him, but it will in a lot of others ppl mind, especially laker fans and newer fans who didnt get to watch duncan and rely mostly on boxscore. of course, his impact on defense and leadership abilities can NEVER be quantified

FromWayDowntown
01-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Duncan's place among the top 50 players of all-time when he retires is absolutely secure.

Most Duncan arguments concern whether he's a top 10 or a top 15 player. Among fans who are intellectually honest and/or remotely objective, that won't change if his career scoring average is 19.9 and not 20.0.