PDA

View Full Version : More Athletic System Players......

Gagnrath
01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I strongly wonder why we don't have faster/stronger bench and role players.....

It seems many of the other teams reserves are just physically more gifted than those of the spurs.

Why don't the spurs acquire these sort of players more often and teach them to play within the system and to their skills?

Does Pop believe for some reason that a developed body disables the ability in the brain for learning the system.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Our bench is pretty incredible tbh.

PÒÓCH
01-10-2014, 06:55 PM
It's not that simple, salary structures, team chemistry, Skill, availability of players that are "more athletic" among a few that I can think of just off the top of my head. Every single GM is trying to find a roster full of faster/stronger players. But this Utopian view is not the only tangible manner in which to achieve a championship level team, as you can be corroborated by the success of the Spurs vs. all the other "more athletic" teams. There's an abundance of those teams who are currently sitting in the bottom of their respective divisions.

pgardn
01-10-2014, 08:45 PM

To wit...

Marco. You saw him on the bulls hitting 3's on very tough shots.

Look what happens on a team that can get him open.
And Bonner. So many deficiencies. But the opposition must cover him. 33.33% 3's. = 50%. 2's

exstatic
01-10-2014, 10:16 PM
If they're as smart as our players, and more athletic, they're probably on a MAX contract somewhere, or going to be. Those players would pretty much be "ungettable".

Where the Spurs differ from other teams is that other teams draft athletes and attempt to turn them into basketball players, and the Spurs draft basketball players and attempt to turn them into a basketball team.

rascal
01-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Where the Spurs differ from other teams is that other teams draft athletes and attempt to turn them into basketball players, and the Spurs draft basketball players and attempt to turn them into a basketball team.

Bullshit

rascal
01-10-2014, 10:36 PM

The Spurs still have two top 5 players at their positions in Duncan and Parker. Those two guys consistently carry the team.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 10:37 PM
The Spurs still have two top 5 players at their positions in Duncan and Parker. Those two guys consistently carry the team.Except when other players do, sure.

rascal
01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Except when other players do, sure.

If either Parker or Duncan gets injured the spurs won't even make the playoffs.

rascal
01-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Duncan has been amazing regarding avoiding injuries. I can't think of any other player who has played as long as he has and who has avoided serious injury.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 10:49 PM
If either Parker or Duncan gets injured the spurs won't even make the playoffs."Franchise players are franchise players!"

-- rascal

Bold take, bro.

rascal
01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
"Franchise players are franchise players!"

-- rascal

Bold take, bro.

That is the reason why the Spurs are so good, not the bench. The bench is interchangeable.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 10:52 PM
That is the reason why the Spurs are so good, not the bench. The bench is interchangeable.Interchangeable with what?

Shitty players from other teams?

No. That's a stupid take.

rascal
01-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Interchangeable with what?

Interchangeable with similar talented players. The spurs have been revolving the bench players with similar talented players for years and keeping the main franchise core together and haven't missed a beat during the regular season(still post top regular season records).

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Interchangeable with similar talented players. The spurs have been revolving the bench players with similar talented players for years and keeping the main franchise core together and haven't missed a beat during the regular season(still post top regular season records).lol so a couple franchise players plus really good other players = contenders.

How many years did it take you to figure this out, rascal?

rascal
01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Interchangeable with what?

Keeping the spurs starters as is I can randomly pick players from any team in the league and the spurs are still one of the better teams in the league.

rascal
01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
lol so a couple franchise players plus really good other players = contenders.

You are the one making the big fuss over the bench.

rascal
01-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Basically that is the way Miami has built championship teams. Get 3 stars and surround them with average to below average players.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Keeping the spurs starters as is I can randomly pick players from any team in the league and the spurs are still one of the better teams in the league.Randomly?

No.

You're not going to do it, so it's moot anyway.

You are the one making the big fuss over the bench.As I said, it's a pretty incredible bench.

rascal
01-10-2014, 11:04 PM
lol so a couple franchise players plus really good other players = contenders.

The Spur bench players are nothing more than average NBA players.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2014, 11:06 PM
The Spur bench players are nothing more than average NBA players.That could be the best part about it.

Thanks for pointing that out! Very astute of you. Best take from you ever!

SpursFan86
01-10-2014, 11:44 PM
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/14/7/pts/1-1

First in ppg. First in FG%. First in both efficiency and defensive efficiency.

Yeah, I think our bench is just fine.

DAF86
01-10-2014, 11:58 PM
lol our bench would make the playoffs on themselves. What's this shit? :lol

ChumpDumper
01-11-2014, 03:55 AM
lol our bench would make the playoffs on themselves. What's this shit? :lolit's just rascal again. I can't remember his ever saying anything positive about this team.

Ever.