PDA

View Full Version : RC Buford: Future head coach of the Spurs?

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I've gotta be honest, I'm a little more worried than I was last year about the post-Pop era. With Bud and Brett Brown leaving this past offseason, our coaching staff suddenly looks relatively young and maybe even inexperienced, tbh. Kind of worries me about who will be Pop's successor.

But, could we eventually be going the route of having RC as our head coach? That's the route Pop went (from GM to head coach), and it's obviously paid dividends. With everyone else gone, RC is really the only long-tenured Pop guy left on the Spurs IIRC.

I don't know too much about RC before he joined the Spurs, but I do know he was an assistant on Kansas in the 80's. Damn good program to be a part of.

Thoughts?

ChumpDumper
01-11-2014, 07:25 PM
mute?

KaiRMD1
01-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Seeing as how the Hawks are doing pretty good at the moment, ol' sport's not leaving the Hawks anytime soon so there's no way we are getting him back. Should be interesting

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 07:30 PM
mute?

I'm actually serious about this.

tholdren
01-11-2014, 07:44 PM
There's a huge difference between picking players and offering them money versus coaching them and keeping them motivated. The NBA is about bringing a bunch of overpaid, overhyped, athletes to work towards a collective goal and play hard through 82 games. I dont think RC would want it, or could deal with the clientele, if you know what I mean.

Bruno
01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
What an awesome thread by an awesome poster. :tu :tu :tu

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 07:59 PM
What an awesome thread by an awesome poster. :tu :tu :tu

appreciate the support! :toast

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 08:00 PM
There's a huge difference between picking players and offering them money versus coaching them and keeping them motivated. The NBA is about bringing a bunch of overpaid, overhyped, athletes to work towards a collective goal and play hard through 82 games. I dont think RC would want it, or could deal with the clientele, if you know what I mean.

What I'm saying though is that RC does has SOME coaching exp.

Ditty
01-11-2014, 08:13 PM
RC Buford has that Kevin Mchale "nice guy" personality to him, compared to Pop's "hard ass" personality. Imo Kevin Mchale isn't a good coach, and should of stayed in the front office. I feel the same about Buford as a way better front office guy than coach. Buford will probably still be here even when Pop and Duncan are gone. Unless the Spurs coaching situation is horrible when they leave, then that's when Holt will probably pull the "you built the roster, so you coach them" deal. Hopefully it will never get that bad though.

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
RC Buford has that Kevin Mchale "nice guy" personality to him, compared to Pop's "hard ass" personality. Imo Kevin Mchale isn't a good coach, and should of stayed in the front office. I feel the same about Buford as a way better front office guy than coach. Buford will probably still be here even when Pop and Duncan are gone. Unless the Spurs coaching situation is horrible when they leave, then that's when Holt will probably pull the "you built the roster, so you coach them" deal. Hopefully it will never get that bad though.

I agree with you that I like RC as a front office guy more than as a potential coach, but I don't think you can rule out him potentially coaching some day as a possibility.

KawhiLeonard
01-11-2014, 08:36 PM
i honestly think the spurs will hire some Euro coach

Kyuui-Musikq
01-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Seeing as how the Hawks are doing pretty good at the moment, ol' sport's not leaving the Hawks anytime soon so there's no way we are getting him back. Should be interesting

In all sincerity, is it really, really fun having an alter ego? I'm thinking of a Ru Paul thing, but idk

http://24.media.tumblr.com/139d2d712ad09c8fe0e0c6288dd813f5/tumblr_mj5qlpOR3l1qlvwnco1_400.gif

KaiRMD1
01-11-2014, 09:19 PM
In all sincerity, is it really, really fun having an alter ego? I'm thinking of a Ru Paul thing, but idk

http://24.media.tumblr.com/139d2d712ad09c8fe0e0c6288dd813f5/tumblr_mj5qlpOR3l1qlvwnco1_400.gif

Ru Paul? Really ol' sport? RuPaul isn't so much an alter ego as it is that ol' sport's character. An alter ego would be something along the lines of Bruce Wayne/Batman, somebody who has made a life for himself as both people.

jARS mEsH sEt
01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Face-palming thread but then I saw who made the thread and I wasn't surprised. Par the course.

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Face-palming thread but then I saw who made the thread and I wasn't surprised. Par the course.

And why couldn't RC be coaching someday?

I'm sure back in the 90's people were rolling their eyes when Pop (after being fired as an assistant) was named the GM, and later took the head coaching job soon after that.

If you're not going to post anything relevant maybe, just maybe, you should back off.

PÒÓCH
01-11-2014, 10:06 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/8bc9039d0a8584d42be64833d62cc721/tumblr_mlgz21PlwI1qi3ovxo1_500.jpg

exstatic
01-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Who's coaching is going to be the least of our worries...

dallasmaverickslose
01-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Who's coaching is going to be the least of our worries...

Along with replacing Timmy, Pop's successor may very well be one of our biggest concerns.

All these Pop haters in a few years are going to realize just how big of an impact Pop has had on this organization, and will be longing for these days.

tholdren
01-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Along with replacing Timmy, Pop's successor may very well be one of our biggest concerns.

All these Pop haters in a few years are going to realize just how big of an impact Pop has had on this organization, and will be longing for these days.

I dont think so. Pop has F'd us in the A the past SEVERAL playoffs. The thing that hurts is the big three going. Please dont tell me no other coach could have made Timmy a winner. Tim made pop. Tim/Manu/Tony made pop. He gets kudos for making them stay spurs, but lets not kid ourselves here: had pop not dicked over Hill, we could very well say that Hill is the greatest coach in SA history.

phxspurfan
01-12-2014, 12:47 AM
IBRL7D0wcXM

phxspurfan
01-12-2014, 12:49 AM
UToiJXdycog

phxspurfan
01-12-2014, 12:52 AM
LkHFIyhSu2w

houston spurs fan
01-12-2014, 12:11 PM
I've gotta be honest, I'm a little more worried than I was last year about the post-Pop era. With Bud and Brett Brown leaving this past offseason, our coaching staff suddenly looks relatively young and maybe even inexperienced, tbh. Kind of worries me about who will be Pop's successor.

But, could we eventually be going the route of having RC as our head coach? That's the route Pop went (from GM to head coach), and it's obviously paid dividends. With everyone else gone, RC is really the only long-tenured Pop guy left on the Spurs IIRC.

I don't know too much about RC before he joined the Spurs, but I do know he was an assistant on Kansas in the 80's. Damn good program to be a part of.

Thoughts?
Idiot. Spurstalk is a shell of what it used to be...

mountainballer
01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
true

DrunkTXLabrat
01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
i think rc as coach is plausible. i hope pop sticks around and it doesn't matter.

exstatic
01-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I dont think so. Pop has F'd us in the A the past SEVERAL playoffs. The thing that hurts is the big three going. Please dont tell me no other coach could have made Timmy a winner. Tim made pop. Tim/Manu/Tony made pop. He gets kudos for making them stay spurs, but lets not kid ourselves here: had pop not dicked over Hill, we could very well say that Hill is the greatest coach in SA history.

Pop didn't remove Hill, DRob, Avery, and Sean did. Hill always took the credit when they won, and threw the players under the bus when they lost, and they were tired of it.

r0drig0lac
01-12-2014, 01:58 PM
wow

tholdren
01-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Pop didn't remove Hill, DRob, Avery, and Sean did. Hill always took the credit when they won, and threw the players under the bus when they lost, and they were tired of it.

Pop removed Hill, tanked and ping-ponged his way into the HOF. Again, I love Gregg, but he took one out of Phil Jackson's book

exstatic
01-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Pop removed Hill, tanked and ping-ponged his way into the HOF. Again, I love Gregg, but he took one out of Phil Jackson's book

Nope. Hill had lost the team, a fatal mistake for a coach. D,S,and A BEGGED Pop as a GM to remove him. There was no tanking, by the way, another myth you seem to believe. The Spurs set a single season record for player games missed (280+) that season. Injuries aren't tanking.

tholdren
01-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Nope. Hill had lost the team, a fatal mistake for a coach. D,S,and A BEGGED Pop as a GM to remove him. There was no tanking, by the way, another myth you seem to believe. The Spurs set a single season record for player games missed (280+) that season. Injuries aren't tanking.

I believe it. They were dead last in defense, 27/29 in offense, and SRS of almost -8... I think that player missed games, due to injury, doesnt help your argument. I dont think Hill lost the team, They made it to the Semis the year before and got dumped by Utah. I think shit hit the fan after game 6 when Dave took the season off, the trash that they acquired on their team was evident, and there was no telling people that they could, should, or have to play.

Again, SA players love pop. SA fans love pop. The whole concept is that Pop's legacy would have been greatly altered had Luck not played a large part; much like anyone else.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2014, 03:29 PM
spurfan's apologies for Bob Hill continue to amaze

mountainballer
01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Thoughts?
no

Brazil
01-12-2014, 07:02 PM
:lol

dallasmaverickslose
01-13-2014, 10:21 PM

Ok. Can you elaborate on why you think RC as head coach would be bad? I just want to hear your thoughts. Let's talk basketball.

houston spurs fan
01-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Ok. Can you elaborate on why you think RC as head coach would be bad? I just want to hear your thoughts. Let's talk basketball.
No. Because it's such a dumb take it's not worth it. You post these threads to get attention and create meaningless controversy. Just like Yacht minus the racist stigma.

dallasmaverickslose
01-14-2014, 12:38 AM
No. Because it's such a dumb take it's not worth it. You post these threads to get attention and create meaningless controversy. Just like Yacht minus the racist stigma.

Well, ok then... I'm sorry that you think RC as a head coach is a dumb idea.

It wasn't my intent to get attention and create meaningless controversy. Sure wish you'd actually say something on my threads other than this same message over and over again.

Man In Black
01-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Analyze the Pop Tree. RC ain't coaching anymore.

Sure seems that way for Gregg Popovich. The San Antonio Spurs’ web spreads from coast to coast, with coaches Brett Brown (Philadelphia) Mike Brown (Cleveland), Jacque Vaughn (Orlando), Mike Budenholzer (Atlanta), Monty Williams (New Orleans) and Doc Rivers (Los Angeles Clippers), along with front office executives Danny Ferry (Atlanta), Sam Presti (Oklahoma City), Dell Demps (New Orleans), Kevin Pritchard (Indiana) and Rob Hennigan (Orlando).
But in case you didn't know...
When Pop was brought to the Kansas by his mentor, Larry Brown, right next to him was a rather impressive list of coaches. One was the aforementioned RC Buford. The list is prestigious but out of all the names there, the one coach who I think could replace Pop when he's ready to grow wine on a larger scale, is Bill Self. The current coach at Kansas.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/posnanski-why-never-happy-popovich-loved
Click the link...it's a great read on Pop!

dallasmaverickslose
01-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Analyze the Pop Tree. RC ain't coaching anymore.

But in case you didn't know...
When Pop was brought to the Kansas by his mentor, Larry Brown, right next to him was a rather impressive list of coaches. One was the aforementioned RC Buford. The list is prestigious but out of all the names there, the one coach who I think could replace Pop when he's ready to grow wine on a larger scale, is Bill Self. The current coach at Kansas.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/posnanski-why-never-happy-popovich-loved
Click the link...it's a great read on Pop!

Thanks!

DesignatedT
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
If RC sticks around I agree with the Bill Self prediction.

dallasmaverickslose
01-14-2014, 07:12 PM
If RC sticks around I agree with the Bill Self prediction.

Idk though if its just me, but it seems like college BB coaches aren't as eager to coach NBA teams as say, football coaches. Look at Mike Krzyzewski and Tom Izzo for instance. There are only a few college BB coaches that really can be considered worthy of coaching at the pro level, but it seems like those are the coaches have no interest in leaving.

Mark in Austin
01-14-2014, 08:41 PM
defending bob hill takes a special kind of stupid.

Sean Cagney
01-15-2014, 03:52 AM
defending bob hill takes a special kind of stupid.Well some fans in here will fully reach that kind of stupid you will never see in the real world! Sad thing is they are out there in the real world and actually think like this :lol

Man In Black
01-17-2014, 04:38 AM
Where did Boston get it's coach, Brad Stevens, from?

SpurPadre
01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
What about the possibility of either Avery Johnson or P.J. coming back to coach the team? I'd rather have Avery of the two. Chip is my main choice, though.

dallasmaverickslose
01-17-2014, 01:28 PM
What about the possibility of either Avery Johnson or P.J. coming back to coach the team? I'd rather have Avery of the two. Chip is my main choice, though.

Tbh I would've liked getting PJ back on the coaching staff instead of Boylen.