PDA

View Full Version : Monty Williams becomes Assistant Coach for BLAZERS

Kori Ellis
08-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Trail Blazers Name Monty Williams Assistant Coach

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Trail_Blazers_Name_Monty_Willi-147890-41.html

August 1, 2005

Portland Trail Blazers announced today that Monty Williams has been named to the team’s assistant coaching staff. Williams joins new Trail Blazers Head Coach Nate McMillan after serving last year as a coaching staff intern under Gregg Popovich for the San Antonio Spurs.

"Monty was a terrific competitor as a player that maximized his ability,” said John Nash, Trail Blazers General Manager. “That commitment to the game will be witnessed by our players as he assists Nate McMillan in molding our young players."

While with San Antonio, Williams worked alongside the Spurs coaching staff that won the 2004-2005 NBA Championship. Williams coached the Spurs summer league team that recently competed in the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Williams was selected by New York in the first round (24th overall) of the 1994 NBA Draft. He spent 10 seasons in the NBA and along with New York, played for San Antonio, Denver, Orlando and the Philadelphia 76ers.

Williams averaged 6.3 points, 2.8 rebound, and 1.2 assists per game before chronic knee problems forced him into retirement. Williams played collegiately at Notre Dame. Following his freshman season he diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy causing him to miss the following two seasons.

timvp
08-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Good riddance. He back stabbed the franchise once and that was one too many times. He helped lead the charge to take Duncan to Orlando. I couldn't believe when the Spurs brought him back.

The Spurs were planning on giving him some kind of assistant coach job. Classic Monty to jump ship.

Later, Montel.

Peter Griffin
08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Speaking of jumping ship. Anyone see that Johnny Depp movie?

Yeah, I thought it was ok.

Btw, Monty Williams sucks. He sucks.

usckk
08-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Noooooo... Everybody are taking away our staff! :( now our secrets to our success will be revealed!!!

ChumpDumper
08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
We should've tried to get Grgich (sp?) from them.

2centsworth
08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
blazers hired him as a tool. trying to get inside info on how the spurs operate.

usckk
08-01-2005, 07:57 PM
exactly!!!

Kori Ellis
08-01-2005, 07:58 PM
blazers hired him as a tool. trying to get inside info on how the spurs operate.

Yeah they already have one ex-Spur scout in Pritchard, now ex-intern Monty.

Russ
08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
UhOhhhhh . . . Duncan to Portland?

boutons
08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Knowing what the Spurs do is hardly a secret, Pop keeps repeating that all teams know all other teams extremely well. Every game is recorded and can be viewed by every coach and every player who bothers to watch. Is the Triangle offense a secret? is the flex offense or Princeton offense a secret?

What is different about the Spurs is that Pop gets the players to EXECUTE, to commit to Pop's system, to become part of the Spurs team culture, to buy into playing defense, to sharing the ball, to playing The Right Way, for the team. It works for the players, Rings, All-stars, winning season, so they keep doing it, a virtuous cycle.

THAT is what's hard, to duplicate, and some ass. coach or ex-player isn't going be able to duplicate that entire system elsewhere.

Larry's and Pop's teams have won the last 3 Titles, and are expected, favored to contend for the next one. It's Team Basketball, it's Basketball on both ends of the court. No big secret. So why aren't the other 20+ teams doing the same thing, if it's so successful?

picnroll
08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Should have demanded compensation like the prick Nash did.

Ocotillo
08-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Williams may be a good move for the Blazers. I agree with Timvp's take on how he stabbed this organization in the back before.

The Blazers with all their shall we say PR problems maybe could use a Monty Williams type of the bench. Monty is a pretty clean living guy and maybe part of a Porty trying to clean up it's act.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM

I'm with LJ on this one. F'in traitor.

They can get all the info. they want, doesn't change the fact they don't have the players to match up.

exstatic
08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Monty is the new Larry Brown, loyal to no one, blown by the wind.

Never liked him. Like LJ, never undestood why Pop EVER offered him a job.

TheTruth
08-01-2005, 09:39 PM
buh bye

Kori Ellis
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Good luck to Monty. I thought he had already accepted an assistant coaching job in S.A., but I guess not. Oh well. No real loss.

nacho estrada
08-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Tim's boy is gone once again... ABOUT FUCKIN TIME! I hated seeing him on our sidelines, whenever i saw Del Monte I could ONLY think about him and Doc Rivers trying to lure Tim from us. Dude had no game AT ALL but was Tim's homeboy so of course TIM hooked him up with a job. FUCK MONTY WILLIAMS, I couldnt stand him. Great move Del Monte, CIAO BITCH.

csw225
08-02-2005, 01:18 AM
shut up you idiots nacho and timvp last time i checked td was still a spur and monty is actually a very good guy and didnt do anything to hurt you and as far as his game goes, he did make it to the nba and his income couldnt have been too terribly bad
so #### YOU NACHO ##########

csw225
08-02-2005, 01:28 AM
are you seriously that worried about the blazers knowing all the spurs inside info? the blazers?

xcoriate
08-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Oh thats cute!!!

csw225 loves Monty :lol

You moving to Portland too?

csw225
08-02-2005, 01:51 AM
:lol hilarious because once monty leaks out all of the spurs secrets, the blazers will become nba champions and then tim duncan will opt out of his contract and join portland and in fact so will i. :lol

Horry For 3!
08-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Damn that is messed up and lame. Oh well.

T Park
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Now if I had said this about MOnty Williams I would be lambasted.

Too bad, I was hoping the SPurs would give him a shot.

Good luck to Monty in Portland.

Kori Ellis
08-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Too bad, I was hoping the SPurs would give him a shot.

They were giving him a shot. I understand that they offered him some sort of assistant coaching spot a few weeks ago.

Mark in Austin
08-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Good riddance. He back stabbed the franchise once and that was one too many times. He helped lead the charge to take Duncan to Orlando. I couldn't believe when the Spurs brought him back.

The Spurs were planning on giving him some kind of assistant coach job. Classic Monty to jump ship.

Later, Montel.

Word. It stunned me when they brought him back too. Maybe the Spurs were able to forgive/forget, but I sure as hell haven't.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Monty. On second thought, go ahead, let it. :flipoff

csw225
08-02-2005, 11:27 AM
what is the big deal about monty williams? spurs fans hold a grudge against him because of tim duncan signing in orlando that never happened, he probably took more money in portland, he has a ring so i wouldnt blame him

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
monty is actually a very good guy

Yeah, when he's not throwing the entire Spurs franchise and city of SA under the bus to try and get Duncan to go to Orlando.

Fuck off.

csw225
08-02-2005, 12:31 PM
you #### off does tim duncan play for the orlando magic?

clubalien
08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
danny ferry gets a job as a GM =good move no hate
monty gets a job =everyone hating on the dude
is avery johnson evil because he coaches dallas
is pj carlismo evil because he joined the spurs

edit BTW I am waiting for the spurs coach to change cannto someone hire him away!!! please anyone

Mark in Austin
08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
danny ferry gets a job as a GM =good move no hate
monty gets a job =everyone hating on the dude
is avery johnson evil because he coaches dallas
is pj carlismo evil because he joined the

clubalien=clubidiot?. Possibly the dumbest post of the week. Ferry, Johnson and Carlisemo never tried to recruit Duncan away from the Spurs after signing a mercenary deal with Orlando. Nobody is hating on Williams because he took the Portland job. We're hating on him because of his past actions that if successful, would have devastated the team we all love. RIF (that stands for reading is fundamental, in case you don't know that either).

clubalien
08-02-2005, 01:40 PM
but ferrys job is to go after FA too

will you be made when he tried to get devin brown
such a tradier going to another team and then recutiing OUR FREE AGNETS good forbid a person do their job and go after peoepl avialbel on the market that happen to be spurs

csw225
08-02-2005, 02:16 PM
We're hating on him because of his past actions that if successful, would have devastated the team we all love.

TIM DUNCAN DOES NOT PLAY FOR THE MAGIC THEREFORE, YOU NEED NOT BRING THIS GARBAGE IF SUCCESSFUL BULLSHIT UP

picnroll
08-02-2005, 04:18 PM
So if someone shoots at you as long as they miss it's okay?

It seems that the Magic signed Williams specifically for his friendship with Duncan as a lure and when that didn't work sent him packing. To be used as a tool like that is a little pathetic.

csw225
08-02-2005, 04:35 PM
he said he hates williams because of his attempt to lure duncan away, which didnt work so you have nothing to hate, and someone shooting at you could be a little more severe than signing a basketball player

nacho estrada
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
csw, (club) village idiot, u both hit up that blazers board and rep for Monty. We love our SPURS in here and Tim is the rock in our franchise, what dont you understand?

csw225
08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
that dumbass picture you got, you must love something else too