PDA

View Full Version : So...is it safe to assume Kawhi's recent improved play is due to Splitter being out?

SpursFan86
01-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Since Splitter has gone out, Kawhi has been averaging basically 15/6.5/2.5/2/1 on noticeably more efficient scoring than his season average. Is he just on a little hot streak, or do you think Splitter's absence is leaving more room in the paint for Kawhi to operate where he's more comfortable? Or are these numbers just a result of him getting a few more minutes since Green is out now?

And before any smartass comes in to say this is proof Splitter needs to go...all it would mean is Splitter should come off the bench rather than get paired with Duncan and Kawhi. People have been critical of the Leonard/Duncan/Splitter trio (offensively) all year due to lack of spacing. I'm just curious as to whether y'all think this recent stretch is proof of that, or if it's just a coincidence.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2014, 11:43 AM
It's part of it that's for sure. Spacing is horrid with Splitter and duncan in the same floor, that's not to say it's splitters fault though..I think Duncan is part to blame because he's been playing more of a C than a PF trying to fight for position down low than provide spacing..If two big guys are playing virtually the same way ( fighting for position down low), you get poor spacing.

Also, Splitter's chemistry with Leonard is piss poor. He's the only big guy that refuses to provide a screen for Kawhi..But that's also a problem our other big have save maybe for Duncan in the last 10 games or so who has been trying to get Leonard more involved in the game.

Mikeanaro
01-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Might those two know each other? Good to see Kawhi can play if you make some room for him.

cd98
01-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Probably not related. Probably just Pop asking Kawhi to take more shots and having his playmakers look for Kawhi on the perimeter. It's not like Splitter is taking a ton of shots. And his are mostly coming from the post, while Kawhi is mostly a spot up shooter with occassional drives and rebound and coast to coast layups on fast breaks.

Raven
01-16-2014, 02:42 PM
i think it's more due to him being pissed about his role.

superbigtime
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Assuming is never safe.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2014, 03:04 PM
But him scoring more could just be a result of this.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2014/01/10/140110leonardmov-3102710/

BacktoBasics
01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Might those two know each other? Good to see Kawhi can play if you make some room for him.This has nothing to do with whether or not he can play but about his role and how it changes as the lineup changes. He's clearly not as effective off the pick using Splitter(not that it's even there to begin with) as he is when the floor is spaced by someone like Diaw. Whether or not that's a priority will most likely become more apparent post Duncan era.

mookie2001
01-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Our center has many weaknesses but kawhi's ball handling and totally non-existent baseline game has nothing to do with him playing or not

apalisoc_9
01-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Our center has many weaknesses but kawhi's ball handling and totally non-existent baseline game has nothing to do with him playing or not

Somebody needs to ban this ***** already.

Mikeanaro
01-16-2014, 03:30 PM
This has nothing to do with whether or not he can play but about his role and how it changes as the lineup changes. He's clearly not as effective off the pick using Splitter(not that it's even there to begin with) as he is when the floor is spaced by someone like Diaw. Whether or not that's a priority will most likely become more apparent post Duncan era.
Yeah, thats my point, but in the post Duncan era we better get some big with attitude or we are dead, Tiago will always be a patch.

hater
01-16-2014, 05:00 PM
So Kawhi was shooting 28% from 3 because of Tiago's big head blocking his view of the rim? :lol

you can do better fellas

Kawhi's SLIGHT improvement in January is as related to Tiago's absence as it is to Super Typhoon Hyan

look_at_g_shred
01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
So Kawhi was shooting 28% from 3 because of Tiago's big head blocking his view of the rim? :lol

you can do better fellas

Kawhi's SLIGHT improvement in January is as related to Tiago's absence as it is to Super Typhoon Hyan
I agree with you here.

cd021
01-16-2014, 06:21 PM

you can do better fellas

truth

apalisoc_9
01-16-2014, 06:26 PM

you can do better fellas

yeah because Kawhi's sole offensive weapon is the 3 ball:lmao

BacktoBasics
01-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah, thats my point, but in the post Duncan era we better get some big with attitude or we are dead, Tiago will always be a patch.
Only it wasn't your point.

Dead? Overreact much? That's way too far down the road to be making matter of fact statements like that.

superjames1992
01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Somebody needs to ban this ***** already.
The truth hurts, eh?

apalisoc_9
01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
The truth hurts, eh?

Also this dumbass *****

superjames1992
01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Also this dumbass *****.
:lol Did I make you angry by speaking the truth?

Bruno
01-16-2014, 07:15 PM
apalisoc_9 stop using that word.

MR-Clutch
01-16-2014, 09:32 PM
I think kawhi's 3pt % earlier in the year had to do with his decision making. It was like he was always torn between letting it fly or throwing a fake and dribbling, which many of times lead to him pulling up his dribbling and passing it out. He seems to be just letting it fly more often now, although he still shows indecision. Yesterday was a good example, he had just scored 5 pts, and then hesitated on an open 3 in the first quarter, even jon barry called him out, and wouldn't let it go either. Just let it fly, kawhi.

Mikeanaro
01-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Only it wasn't your point.

Dead? Overreact much? That's way too far down the road to be making matter of fact statements like that.
It was my point, everytime I write 2 words you write a book about what I said, making strange assumptions and overthinking too much.
Tiago is just a regular big that sometimes fits the system, if he is so fucking good lots of teams could make big offers last season when he was on the market.

cd021
01-17-2014, 01:16 AM
It was my point, everytime I write 2 words you write a book about what I said, making strange assumptions and overthinking too much.
Tiago is just a regular big that sometimes fits the system, if he is so fucking good lots of teams could make big offers last season when he was on the market.

RFA isn't unrestricted free agency. There is a massive difference. Teams have a limited time to go after free agents and limited cap space. A team would have to make an offer that is both appealing to the player (so he will sign their offer sheet) and an offer that would make his current team hesitant of matching the offer.

Teams that did have cap space couldn't just wait 3 days for for another team to decide on whether to let a player walk.

Brandon Jennings had a similar situation. He didn't sign a deal ( an S&T) until July 30th. Thats 20 days after players could officially sign and 30 days after a team could negotiate terms of a deal.

Your logic that teams should be lining up to pay Splitter, as a measure of his value. Remember Roy Hibbert was officially signed a offer sheet with Portland before it being matched by Indiana. Minnesota was really the only team that "pursued" Batum before he resigned. Portland had reportedly planned on offering a similar deal.

Had they gotten him, they'd be better than 20th defensively, the mark the are now. Generally top 10 defensive teams are the ones who make it to the second round. Splitter is a great team defender and a solid offensive player as well.

wildchild
01-17-2014, 05:19 AM
It isn't a coincidence. Increase spacing in Tiago absence facilitates Leonard post plays, and -maybe- get more touches because a combination of Danny/Tiago out. He finished in double-figures for the sixth consecutive game, but IMO it's just temporary without other two. Sad.

You seem to be under the impression that it's right or good thing if Leonard is only a spot-up shooter in the team. Kawhi is different a lot of guys, he can pass, get physical, score in the low post...

Even if Leonard's 3-point shot returns to form, the problem will remain that he's just a spot-up shooter in this system, tbh..
:tu

Prime Time
01-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Kind of off-topic, but during the 2013 NBA Finals Kawhi DID play much better when Manu was starting for Splitter. This goes back to the theory that Kawhi is made for small-ball. That's not really bad in today's game, which actually thrives off small-ball. Hell, this might be good for us. If someone like Bertans ever develops into a decent player he'll fit right in with Kawhi.

exstatic
01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
It's two things: spacing and the fact that Kawhi plays better with players who "pop" after the pick. That pass is easier than the "roll" pass. Tiago is a "roll" guy.

biskvito
01-17-2014, 08:25 AM
splittah's whiteness creates blind spots and reduces %, "tbh"

ajballer4
01-17-2014, 09:04 AM
I think it has more to due with Manu being out. Yeah, Manu came back last game but I think Kawhi's streak is just carrying over

Mikeanaro
01-17-2014, 10:17 AM
RFA isn't unrestricted free agency. There is a massive difference. Teams have a limited time to go after free agents and limited cap space. A team would have to make an offer that is both appealing to the player (so he will sign their offer sheet) and an offer that would make his current team hesitant of matching the offer.

Teams that did have cap space couldn't just wait 3 days for for another team to decide on whether to let a player walk.

Brandon Jennings had a similar situation. He didn't sign a deal ( an S&T) until July 30th. Thats 20 days after players could officially sign and 30 days after a team could negotiate terms of a deal.

Your logic that teams should be lining up to pay Splitter, as a measure of his value. Remember Roy Hibbert was officially signed a offer sheet with Portland before it being matched by Indiana. Minnesota was really the only team that "pursued" Batum before he resigned. Portland had reportedly planned on offering a similar deal.

Had they gotten him, they'd be better than 20th defensively, the mark the are now. Generally top 10 defensive teams are the ones who make it to the second round. Splitter is a great team defender and a solid offensive player as well.
Jimi you have a solid take, but I will keep mine, if Tiago was so good those teams should wait and move skies and seas to get him, he is a great defender, sadly not a solid offensive player against good teams, I like him as a person really down to earth but I was expecting more from him.

BacktoBasics
01-17-2014, 03:03 PM
As pointed out by the post below this, you are fucking clueless.

BacktoBasics
01-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Jimi you have a solid take, but I will keep mine, if Tiago was so good those teams should wait and move skies and seas to get him, he is a great defender, sadly not a solid offensive player against good teams, I like him as a person really down to earth but I was expecting more from him.Again and in multiple areas you fail to see how the system and roles greatly differentiate from curb appeal.

There's no shortage of examples out there where a player just doesn't fit the system, and role expected of him, only to see him move on and put up fancy stats. It sounds like you base value on statistics.

Mikeanaro
01-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Again and in multiple areas you fail to see how the system and roles greatly differentiate from curb appeal.

There's no shortage of examples out there where a player just doesn't fit the system, and role expected of him, only to see him move on and put up fancy stats. It sounds like you base value on statistics.
Get a life PseudoStalker, Im bored with you, weather here is too hot to waste time answering your stupid points
http://dc406.4shared.com/img/pLCMzkXLce/s7/1439299bae8/Pm_online.jpg?async&rand=0.5388247916327042

BacktoBasics
01-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Get a life PseudoStalker, Im bored with you, weather here is too hot to waste time answering your stupid points
You can keep posting that all you want. It only reinforces the fact that you can dish it out but can't take it.

You mouthed off like an arrogant pompous prick and now that you're getting it tossed back in your face you're crying about it.

Mikeanaro
01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
You can keep posting that all you want. It only reinforces the fact that you can dish it out but can't take it.

You mouthed off like an arrogant pompous prick and now that you're getting it tossed back in your face you're crying about it.
http://dc406.4shared.com/img/pLCMzkXLce/s7/1439299bae8/Pm_online.jpg?async&rand=0.5388247916327042

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4652808050508166&pid=15.1

BacktoBasics
01-17-2014, 04:07 PM

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4652808050508166&pid=15.1Posting shots of your mom isn't going to change your inability to deal with what you asked for.

Mikeanaro
01-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Posting shots of your mom isn't going to change your inability to deal with what you asked for.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44999875.jpg

BacktoBasics
01-17-2014, 04:22 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44999875.jpg
Now who's trolling. Its obvious you can't deal with someone giving you the same shit you dished out. Now you've decided to take over and ruin threads because someone put you in your place. You clearly don't know who I am if you think you can run me by posting infantile pictures.

Can't actually respond with a few complete sentences? I'm obviously getting to you if you're this inept and have resorted to crafting kiddie pictures.

So not only are you a coward but a moron.

Chinook
01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Yes, to answer the OP's question. However, his numbers would be even higher had Duncan been out instead of Splitter. He'd get more touches that way. Leonard is still shooting a lot of jumpers. It's not like he's all of the sudden running PnRs and finishing at the rim. I see him posting up a little more, which is good, but he still needs add to his game. If Green can run the PnR, Kawhi can too.