PDA

View Full Version : Who will take Timmy's spot in the starting lineup when he retires?

dallasmaverickslose
01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
This is a day all of us dread. But unfortunately, this is a problem that will have to be dealt with eventually. Who (from our current roster) will take Timmy's spot as a starter when he retires?

Now of course, there is a reasonably sized chance we will draft/sign/acquire through trade a young big to take over. But, just looking at what we have right now, who would take the spot?

Diaw? This seems likely the most commonly accepted choice, but I do feel he is lacking big time in several key areas that Timmy has anchored down for the past decade and a half. Particularly, his rebounding, shot blocking, and scoring inside the paint. With Diaw becoming the new starting PF, we would probably have to tweak our style a little bit to play to his strengths. And Splitter is going to have to step up his rebounding and offensive game big-time.

Ayres? Eh, he's gradually improving and may turn out to be a solid role player in time, but I just can't see him being a permanent starter for us. I like his athleticism and energy he brings on the court, but he seems prone to making too many mistakes, and his offensive game doesn't have much to offer besides a slight glimmer of hope of a jump shot and making dunks (which he unfortunately knows how to miss as well). But we'll see.

Baynes? I don't know if he would work well being a permanent starter next to Splitter. He may be the most pure center we have on this roster. And considering his lack of PT, I don't even know if Pop has a long-term vision for Baynes. If he was to start getting more minutes, he might end up being a solid back-up center pairing with Ayres for the second unit. But who knows what he'd be like if he was getting Ayres style minutes.

Bonner? lol

In summary, we're almost undoubtedly going to have to find a way to draft, sign, or acquire a talented young PF, but it sure would be neat if one of our current bigs proved themselves worthy of taking over for the greatest PF of all time. So far Diaw would be the closest.

Mikeanaro
01-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Francisco Elson :lol

td4mvp2k
01-17-2014, 02:10 PM
:shootme

Prime Time
01-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh man, our front-court is going to freaking blow when Duncan retires :lmao Splitter and Diaw will be truly exposed.

Now I'm not saying Splitter and Diaw aren't solid, they're above-average assets that work well for a contending team. But the only reason why they work is because of Duncan, his inside presence on both sides make Splitter/Diaw available to do what they thrive off of. Which would be setting picks/guarding the post/perimeter. Amazing how even at age 37 TD is still San Antonio's MVP.

But tbh, I doubt Spurs keep Diaw once Duncan retires. I doubt Diaw would even want to stay. Spurs have lots of rebuilding to do. (Well, I'd say about 2-3 seasons of rebuilding. It all really depends on how Kawhi/LVJ/Bertans develop. But this would be the optimistic point of view.)

wildcardX
01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
How many Spurs will still be signed past the 2014-2015 season? Most of the team might be all new faces the season after Duncan retires.

Juggity
01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
tbh...it's going to be tank time and it won't really matter who the fuck plays PF.

Thompson
01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
David Robinson - Tim Duncan - 2016 #1 lottery pick

apalisoc_9
01-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Lots of Morons in here tbh.

A Splitter-Diaw Combo is still going to be competitive inside presence. Spiltter defendes the paint as well as anybody and Diaw is a heck of a defender against stretch 4s. The issue is the offence, but I'd reckon with Timmy and Manu gone, we're going to see a lot of pick and roll between the 3 man and Tony Parker for a post ups. If we can manage to keep Marco, SAS would still be a pretty decent team.

Splitter-Diaw-Leonard-Green-Parker Is still one heck of a lineup. Marco of the bench...

The only thing SA really needs to remain competitive, is a couple of serviceable guys of the bench. Are they contenders? Probably not, but that's a 4-6 seed team tbh.

Texas_Ranger
01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Bonner. No joke.

01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
David Robinson - Tim Duncan - 2016 #1 lottery pick

01-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Lots of Morons in here tbh.

A Splitter-Diaw Combo is still going to be competitive inside presence. Spiltter defendes the paint as well as anybody and Diaw is a heck of a defender against stretch 4s. The issue is the offence, but I'd reckon with Timmy and Manu gone, we're going to see a lot of pick and roll between the 3 man and Tony Parker for a post ups. If we can manage to keep Marco, SAS would still be a pretty decent team.

Splitter-Diaw-Leonard-Green-Parker Is still one heck of a lineup. Marco of the bench...

The only thing SA really needs to remain competitive, is a couple of serviceable guys of the bench. Are they contenders? Probably not, but that's a 4-6 seed team tbh.
No point in going to the playoffs if we're not going to contend for a championship. Might as well start tanking as soon as they're gone so maybe Tony can get another ring.

Baam
01-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Kevin Love...

Who knows... Imo their first option is getting a marquee FA. Brook Lopez, Love, Mark Gasol and Aldridge are all potentially FAs in 2015...

apalisoc_9
01-17-2014, 07:13 PM
No point in going to the playoffs if we're not going to contend for a championship. Might as well start tanking as soon as they're gone so maybe Tony can get another ring.

Peter Holt disagrees.

apalisoc_9
01-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Kevin Love...

Who knows... Imo their first option is getting a marquee FA. Brook Lopez, Love, Mark Gasol and Aldridge are all potentially FAs in 2015...

Kevin love is a cancer and a loser. Aldridge is soft as fuck..Lopez is a worse defender than Blair..

Marc Gasol would be perfect though. He's a great defensive presence and we only really need him to score 15 a a game if Kawhi can jump into a 15pg player with Duncan and Manu out and Tony remains a 15 ppg player.

01-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Kevin love is a cancer and a loser. Aldridge is soft as fuck..Lopez is a worse defender than Blair..

Marc Gasol would be perfect though. He's a great defensive presence and we only really need him to score 15 a a game if Kawhi can jump into a 15pg player with Duncan and Manu out and Tony remains a 15 ppg player.

He's 28 though. It's not old, but it's def not young either.

apalisoc_9
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
He's 28 though. It's not old, but it's def not young either.

yeah I know but the way Gasol plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he can keep up with this current form till he's 33 years old. That's 4-5 solid years of competing assuming we do get him in 2015 ( haven't checked his contract)

rascal
01-17-2014, 07:34 PM
No way to know. There will be several new players on the team when that happens.

cjw
01-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Peter Holt disagrees.

Right. So many in the media (ESPN) push this whole tanking concept - either be really good or really bad - without forgetting that most owners operate as businesses and are not charities. Still need to turn a profit (though some have outsized pockets). In the grand scheme of things, Holt isn't THAT rich compared to a lot of other owners out there and makes a lot of money on each playoff home game.

Being awful for an entire regular season can cause 30 of your 41 home games to be half full, a major damper when you have largely fixed operating costs (payroll, arena, etc.). This isn't like football where unless you're the Jaguars, you don't know your team is out of it until the whole season is basically sold out.

Chinook
01-17-2014, 08:45 PM
The Spurs may well sign or trade for such a player over the next two years. It may not be a huge free-agent splash. It may be a smaller trade for Young or Ilyasova. Could be Diaw.

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Who cares? When Timmy leaves, there will be no more :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: for the Spurs for a long time to come, maybe never again. Savor this run we're on while you can, because it's ending soon. Sad, but true.

TXstbobcat
01-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced technology will be used to turn Timmy into half cyborg half man so he can play another 40 or 50 years for the spurs.

dallasmaverickslose
01-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Bonner. No joke.

Bonner will likely be in the front office IMO...

dallasmaverickslose
01-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced technology will be used to turn Timmy into half cyborg half man so he can play another 40 or 50 years for the spurs.

You mean hgh? LeBron is already experimenting with it...

dallasmaverickslose
01-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Who cares? When Timmy leaves, there will be no more :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: for the Spurs for a long time to come, maybe never again. Savor this run we're on while you can, because it's ending soon. Sad, but true.

I'm looking at mainly the short-term future. Assuming Parker stays here till retirement, we can still be a competitive playoff team if we have the right pieces.