PDA

View Full Version : Just pains me to watch Duncan against Aldridge

hitmantb
01-17-2014, 11:09 PM
It feels like yesterday when I was watching Duncan against Malone/Barkley, what goes around comes around.

No matter what anyone else do on this team, Duncan is the foundation and that foundation is just not good enough for a title anymore. I would love to see Duncan join LeBron to get his 5th ring.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-17-2014, 11:10 PM
aldridge shoots the same damn jumper in the same damn spot 1000x times. beyond annoying to watch. but kudos

timtonymanu
01-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Aldridge is unguardable.

not even Diaw could defend him that well. Stop being emo.

Baam
01-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Yeah not sure why they changed the D, Tim was way worse than Boris...

Gospursel
01-17-2014, 11:15 PM
It feels like yesterday when I was watching Duncan against Malone/Barkley, what goes around comes around.

No matter what anyone else do on this team, Duncan is the foundation and that foundation is just not good enough for a title anymore. I would love to see Duncan join LeBron to get his 5th ring.

Not a spurs fan TBH. Go find duncantalk.com

01-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Yeah not sure why they changed the D, Tim was way worse than Boris...

ElNono
01-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Non-Issue, tbh

superjames1992
01-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Right, our title window was closed and we just made the Finals last year. Give me a freaking break. Many posters on this site lack common sense.

Sean Cagney
01-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Non-Issue, tbh

If we meet them explain how it's a non issue Nono? I just want to hear what you have to say.

Budkin
01-17-2014, 11:30 PM
We will not be meeting in the playoffs. Irrelevant. Jesus fucking emo.

ElNono
01-17-2014, 11:30 PM
If we meet them explain how it's a non issue Nono? I just want to hear what you have to say.

First of all, let me tell you I don't think we'll meet them. IMO, they're 1st, at most 2nd round fodder, depending on the opposition. Jumpshooting teams rarely get far in the playoffs.

The Spurs will need to gameplan for him, but Aldrige is a soft big, you need to attack him and wear him out. Pop also is not going to show his cards right now, but the actual double-team should come from Batum's guy (possibly Leonard). Doesn't have to happen every play, but the Spurs have mixed it up before. Playoffs are a slower pace, a completely different type of game.

HI-FI
01-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Non-Issue, tbh

kiss of death tbh

Embedded
01-17-2014, 11:32 PM
That was the game plan - to not double Lamarcus. The Spurs did well with that the first half. Coach Boylen did a good job, but I thought maybe there could have been more adjustments made, but I'm no expert. Wow, did Ginobili want this win.

ElNono
kiss of death tbh

:lol

lil_penny
Splitter has done a solid job on aldridge the last couple years. Probably plays him better than anyone else does In the nba. He was missed there tonight and could of possibly slowed him down a bit

Sean Cagney
01-17-2014, 11:34 PM
First of all, let me tell you I don't think we'll meet them. IMO, they're 1st, at most 2nd round fodder, depending on the opposition. Jumpshooting teams rarely get far in the playoffs.

The Spurs will need to gameplan for him, but Aldrige is a soft big, you need to attack him and wear him out. Pop also is not going to show his cards right now, but the actual double-team should come from Batum's guy (possibly Leonard). Doesn't have to happen every play, but the Spurs have mixed it up before. Playoffs are a slower pace, a completely different type of game.I agree with that and I have yet to see them in the playoffs with that team they have now so you very well could be right. They would be scary though regardless to face. I think the Spurs could edge them but it would not be easy. Good post.

jARS mEsH sEt
01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Aldridge is like a poor man's 2011 Finals Dirk (that's actually a compliment to Aldridge).

ElNono
01-17-2014, 11:37 PM
I agree with that and I have yet to see them in the playoffs with that team they have now so you very well could be right. They would be scary though regardless to face. I think the Spurs could edge them but it would not be easy. Good post.

Lamarcus has generally played well in the playoffs, and he already did in 3 playoffs, so I don't expect pressure to affect him, but the rest of the team is a different story... Mo Williams has always been underwhelming in the postseason...

You know, not trying to talk them down, just the way I see it. Could be wrong.

HI-FI

sorry just haunted by the "non-issues" and Manu shitting the bed later on.

but I agree, I don't think Spurs have given Portland their best by any means, but their jump shooting is really pissing me off.

AntiChrist
Aldridge is a great player, but what did Tim accomplish in his first 7 seasons?

lil_penny
01-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Aldridge is like a poor man's 2011 Finals Dirk (that's actually a compliment to Aldridge).

This whole team is a poor mans 2011 mavs, stotts has it setup just like them imo. But that mavs team :wow

Sean Cagney
01-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Aldridge is a great player, but what did Tim accomplish in his first 7 seasons?
We don't have to compare that though, we know.......

daslicer
01-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Lamarcus is a lot like a taller David West the way he plays moreso than Dirk.

sananspursfan21
01-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Still get the feeling that the Spurs as a whole aren't trying overly hard

phxspurfan
01-18-2014, 01:06 AM
It's amazing that Duncan is even in the conversation against Aldridge. He's 37. You know what Shaq was doing at 37? Struggling to walk up the court for the Celtics.

Brunodf
01-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Aldridge can rebound though

heyheymymy
01-18-2014, 01:20 AM
I would love to see Duncan join LeBron to get his 5th ring.

ಠ_ಠ

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
The Blazers are fool's gold, just like they always are.

Spurs and Pacers in the Finals.

r0drig0lac
01-18-2014, 10:04 AM
It's amazing that Duncan is even in the conversation against Aldridge. He's 37. You know what Shaq was doing at 37? Struggling to walk up the court for the Celtics.
word

Josh810
01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Just pains me to read these threads

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 11:43 AM
The Blazers are fool's gold, just like they always are.

Spurs and Pacers in the Finals.

If the Blazers stay like this they will be a tough out but im expecting an injury bug to strike soon

spurseye
01-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Watch game 1 western conf finals vs Memphis... Spurs have another Level of defensive intensity that we likely won't see until playoffs. I do however think having home court is critical this year. I could see Spurs killing the will of the Blazers in the first ten minutes of a series @ home tbh

boutons_deux
01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
"Spurs have another Level of defensive intensity that we likely won't see until playoffs"

OKC's defense in 2nd half vs Hou a couple nights ago astonished me. lockdown for the entire half.

Horse
01-18-2014, 12:49 PM
It's not like anyone else can defend that fucker. But relying on jumpshots will always be your downfall. Couple yrs ago okc got hot against us but then cooled off against miami. Things change come playoff time.

DMC
01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
aldridge shoots the same damn jumper in the same damn spot 1000x times. beyond annoying to watch. but kudos

Tim does the same thing, except he misses. He used to shoot the same bank shot from the same damn spot. Dirk does the same thing. It's called having a winning recipe and using it consistently and getting consistent results. Portland is playing within themselves, not trying to do things they cannot do, like Tim trying to run the point.

sexinthatsx
01-19-2014, 04:11 AM
For one, Lamarcus Aldrige doesn't shoot stupid 3's like he did last year when he drifted beyond the arc. He has been posting up way more often and getting to the basket this year as opposed to previous years it seems, but is still soft. Furthermore, as good as Portland looks right now, I doubt Lamarcus Aldrige can sustain this level of play towards the end of the season / postseason when his ridiculously hard fadeaway jumpers stop falling.

maverick1948
01-19-2014, 10:00 AM
We are missing Tiago and Danny and you people are writing us off? Dang. Down 2 starters and Bonner gets a head butt and nose fractured. 2 bigs and one of the best wing defenders we have. Signature win for Portland? No a chance. At the 1/2 way mark, we need to play .500 ball to have a playoff spot. 52 or 53 wins will get us there. 22 of the next 43 would not be bad. Pop is never going to play to win against the better teams this early in the season and not until the playoffs does he get after them.

On top of all that, Pop did not get tossed for no reason. LA was getting by with offensive fouls on every shot attempt he took. He was angry because Diaw was doing a heck of a job on Alridge and was not getting calls.

Splitter - Aldridge
Green - Matthews

Look at where we gave up the points late in the game.

Skull-1
01-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Right, our title window was closed and we just made the Finals last year. Give me a freaking break. Many posters on this site lack common sense.

We we got lucky. You're just blind because you're a homer. We are done. Have been since Bruce left really....

Skull-1
01-19-2014, 11:20 AM
"Spurs have another Level of defensive intensity that we likely won't see until playoffs"

OKC's defense in 2nd half vs Hou a couple nights ago astonished me. lockdown for the entire half.

Our defense hasn't been a true Spurs defense in years. Last year was at least an attempt to get back to it but we didn't. This year is worse.

Kidd K
01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Duncan's nearly 38. Most bigs are completely done before the point he's at. How well do you seriously expect him to play against arguably the best PF in the league right now? Duncan's level of play last year was insane. . .it was nearly unheard of for a player that old to put up those kinds of numbers. Especially in today's NBA.

Duncan isn't done or anything, you just need to dial back what you should expect anymore. He can still get it done, he just can't be relied on to carry the team on both ends or anything. Some nights he'll be amazing, some nights he's gonna need some help. That's what you get with an aging star. I'd like it if he'd play better but you need to have realistic expectations too. He ain't gonna single cover and lock down Aldridge by himself.

Pako
01-19-2014, 11:27 AM
We are missing Tiago and Danny and you people are writing us off? Dang. Down 2 starters and Bonner gets a head butt and nose fractured. 2 bigs and one of the best wing defenders we have. Signature win for Portland? No a chance. At the 1/2 way mark, we need to play .500 ball to have a playoff spot. 52 or 53 wins will get us there. 22 of the next 43 would not be bad. Pop is never going to play to win against the better teams this early in the season and not until the playoffs does he get after them.

On top of all that, Pop did not get tossed for no reason. LA was getting by with offensive fouls on every shot attempt he took. He was angry because Diaw was doing a heck of a job on Alridge and was not getting calls.

Splitter - Aldridge
Green - Matthews

Look at where we gave up the points late in the game.
This..

superjames1992
01-19-2014, 02:32 PM
We we got lucky. You're just blind because you're a homer. We are done. Have been since Bruce left really....
LOL.

hitmantb
01-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Duncan's nearly 38. Most bigs are completely done before the point he's at. How well do you seriously expect him to play against arguably the best PF in the league right now? Duncan's level of play last year was insane. . .it was nearly unheard of for a player that old to put up those kinds of numbers. Especially in today's NBA.

Duncan isn't done or anything, you just need to dial back what you should expect anymore. He can still get it done, he just can't be relied on to carry the team on both ends or anything. Some nights he'll be amazing, some nights he's gonna need some help. That's what you get with an aging star. I'd like it if he'd play better but you need to have realistic expectations too. He ain't gonna single cover and lock down Aldridge by himself.

Malone was much stronger than Duncan at same age, and that was against prime Duncan/Shaq.

Not expecting anyone to shut down Aldridge, just that Duncan must do damage of his own.

Duncan is my favorite player of all time, and no it is not fair, but if this is all he has the Spurs are done. I just really envy Robinson (my second favorite player of all time) who had 2003 Duncan to carry him to story book ending. Ahhhhhhhhh game 6, if only LeBron didn't have fate on his side . . .

james evans
01-19-2014, 09:36 PM

wtf?

Skull-1
01-20-2014, 01:22 PM
wtf?

Had to be a troll. Lol

look_at_g_shred
01-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I would love to see Duncan join LeBron to get his 5th ring.
I'm just gonna stop here....

Joseph Kony
01-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Splitter has done a solid job on aldridge the last couple years. Probably plays him better than anyone else does In the nba. He was missed there tonight and could of possibly slowed him down a bit

This. Splitter is one of the most underrated defensive players in the NBA, he is long and quick enough to guard players like Aldridge without getting blown by or shot over