PDA

View Full Version : Duncan just doesn't have it

MinuteByMinuteSports
01-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Timmy played HORRIBLE tonight, he couldn't even guard Aldridge. It's like LaMarcus playing with grandpa. We had a seven point lead and we were doing well, there was hope to win. And Jim brings hero ball Tony and grandpa and the lead went down.

Might as well enjoy all the games we can win because pizza face aka Pop and Mr. Alcoholic RC will never bring anyone to help. If they do, they'll be bench warmers. I feel bad for Manu because he did amazing tonight but Jim benched him in the 4th and brought Timmy/Tony back and saw the lead go away.

Pray that the basketball Gods can bring the Spurs the help we need or we'll be out in the first round.

wtgspurs
01-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Kinda Meltdownish but its true lol. I wouldn't leave Duncan in the game down the stretch in a High Intensity game like that, he just looks too old out there. I'd rather have some young legs like Tiago and Ayres, even Boris playing the last 5 Minutes of a game like that....tbh

TheGoldStandard
01-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Uhhh not a lot of players can stop that jump shot when he has it going.

AntiChrist
01-17-2014, 11:21 PM
What players can shut down Aldridge?

KL2
01-17-2014, 11:22 PM
The Spurs chances to win a title have closed, thrown away by Manu last year. Their only hope is to develop Leonard but Pop is content having him play the Bowen role.

pgardn
01-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah and if we don't have this guy that does not have it, there is zero chance we are in the finals again.

Mikeanaro
01-17-2014, 11:25 PM
So... Porker does have it?

AntiChrist
01-17-2014, 11:27 PM
The Spurs chances to win a title have closed, thrown away by Manu last year. Their only hope is to develop Leonard but Pop is content having him play the Bowen role.

This continues to be a horrible take.

Budkin
01-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Too bad for them we won't be meeting in the playoffs.

superjames1992
01-17-2014, 11:28 PM
It really is. How the hell can the title window be closed when we the Spurs just made the Finals last year and came 28 seconds from winning it all? It makes no sense, but these posters keep on trotting out this nonsense.

KL2
01-18-2014, 12:31 AM

It really is. How the hell can the title window be closed when we the Spurs just made the Finals last year and came 28 seconds from winning it all? It makes no sense, but these posters keep on trotting out this nonsense.

-Legendary 3pt shooting from Green in the finals as well as role players hitting their shots.
-Lakers d league team in the 1st round, Curry injured in the 2nd round, OKC without Westbrook for the WCF. Even the officiating was fair in the finals.
-The big 3 was relatively healthy with Duncan turning back the clock, TP had one of his best seasons ever, and the Spurs' defense was pretty damn good.
-Memphis in the WCF, a team they absolutely own.

Thats just off the top of my head, things lined up perfectly for SA Last year.

New playoff teams: Blazers, Rockets, and a healthy OKC team with a new Spur killer, all teams that matchup favorably against the Spurs. It's not even guaranteed Miami makes the finals, the Pacers are another new great team that also match up well with the Spurs.

And as I said before, their only hope is developing Leonard, a guy who gets treated like Bowen by his teammates. When the shit hits the fan a team needs someone to consistently takeover on offense, and it sure as hell isn't going to be Manu/Parker, while Duncan is done being an elite player.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Quit with the Cliff jumping when we're only 40 games into the season. You know I overreact to games a lot but this wasn't one of those where we were just blown out and looked stupid, no this was lost with bad rotations and a hot LA. Listen David Robinson is not walking through that door but we are not exactly at full strength and Diaw was bullied early. Aldridge doesn't always have that jumper falling, he has shitty nights it just so happens that we catch them when he doesn't. If we were to meet this team in the playoffs it would be a good long series but we win, they rely heavily on perimeter shooting and LA going balls out.

KL2
01-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Quit with the Cliff jumping when we're only 40 games into the season. You know I overreact to games a lot but this wasn't one of those where we were just blown out and looked stupid, no this was lost with bad rotations and a hot LA. Listen David Robinson is not walking through that door but we are not exactly at full strength and Diaw was bullied early. Aldridge doesn't always have that jumper falling, he has shitty nights it just so happens that we catch them when he doesn't. If we were to meet this team in the playoffs it would be a good long series but we win, they rely heavily on perimeter shooting and LA going balls out.

I already know the routine of the Spurs regular season, they play like shit only to turn it up at the end of the season, which they'll probably do, only to lose in the playoffs. I've seen it year after year after year, and it's starting to get old.
This team is built to win regular season games, not win championships, they rely far too much on depth, it's fools gold.

apalisoc_9
01-18-2014, 12:43 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228022

Leonard getting more than 4 shots and playing more than 8 minutes in the second half..would have done the trick tbh.

DMC
01-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Tim is in his final tour contract. You cannot expect him to carry the franchise.

Sean Cagney
01-18-2014, 12:51 AM
I already know the routine of the Spurs regular season, they play like shit only to turn it up at the end of the season, which they'll probably do, only to lose in the playoffs. I've seen it year after year after year, and it's starting to get old.
This team is built to win regular season games, not win championships, they rely far too much on depth, it's fools gold.
Not last year though, the finally stumble down the stretch and nearly win the finals, total reversal of the years you mentioned.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 01:05 AM

That's the funny thing about the game of basketball, nothing is ever set in stone, at least not in the West. I think it's safe to assume that either Miami or Indiana will come out of the East but the West is unpredictable from one year to the next and injuries can happen at any moment in time. Last year a lot of things happened in order for us to win but this season does not feel like 2011, don't think we're going to get bounced in the first round unless some freak accidents happen. Spurs are built for winning a series, not winning one game here and one game there. When healthy the Spurs can compete with anyone and I suspect that we make the necessary adjustments over a 7 game series in order to beat most of the teams in the West.

Johnny RIngo
01-18-2014, 01:06 AM
This is less Tim's fault and more on the front office. Once again, we surround Tim with a weak frontcourt and expect him to carry the bunch. It's ridiculous. A good portion of the fanbase was very vocal about signing a raw project like Ayres to a 2 million contract. Don't know what the Spurs are thinking trying to develop 26 yr old bigs with very little NBA experience. Pretty alarming when you hear interviews with Ayres talking about how he never learned how to properly catch a ball before.

apalisoc_9
01-18-2014, 01:10 AM
This is less Tim's fault and more on the front office. Once again, we surround Tim with a weak frontcourt and expect him to carry the bunch. It's ridiculous. A good portion of the fanbase was very vocal about signing a raw project like Ayres to a 2 million contract. Don't know what the Spurs are thinking trying to develop 26 yr old bigs with very little NBA experience. Pretty alarming when you hear interviews with Ayres talking about how he never learned how to properly catch a ball before.

yeah thats really on Jim Boylen.

T Park
01-18-2014, 01:52 AM

Who was the big available they should have signed ?

emanueldavidginobili
01-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Its LaMarcus Aldridge the dude is no joke hes in his prime right now and having his best season Tim is near the end jesus cut timmy a break

Sean Cagney
01-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Its LaMarcus Aldridge the dude is no joke hes in his prime right now and having his best season Tim is near the end jesus cut timmy a break
Yep, check his stats this year! He is on my fantasy team and he is lighting it up all year and not just against bad teams! He is no JOKE this year. I agree on that last part too, Tim is what 37 now? What does the OP expect? 03 Tim? MY GOD father time happens to all.

benstanfield
01-18-2014, 03:37 AM
You are fucking retarded. I logged in after lurking for like 2+ months just to say that. Seriously, stop watching basketball. IF we play Portland in a playoff series, TD won't guard LA FOR A SECOND. I mean it. Stop watching basketball.

Spurs da champs
01-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Who was the big available they should have signed ?

Last year Andray Blatche was available for the minimum...

hater
01-18-2014, 04:42 AM
Dunan was horrible. only nonhomers will face this fact

Skull-1
01-18-2014, 06:02 AM

Like hell. It is a great take. You are just in denial.

Skull-1
01-18-2014, 06:04 AM

Because we were lucky last year, are a year older and slower, are piling on injuries like flies, and our competition has improved. Also, teams do not come back from a nut punch like that. Defeats of that order kill established "dynasty" franchises in every sport. Grow a brain. Window closed. Last season was a fluke any way.

sventhedog
01-18-2014, 06:20 AM
no question about this but it's just not fair to ask a 37/38 year old player guard a very talented bigman in his prime.

shows just how the the spurs desperately need another bigman who can defend.

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Defeats of that order kill established "dynasty" franchises in every sport.

What the FUCK are you blathering about, dipshit?

BacktoBasics
01-18-2014, 08:31 AM
So... Porker does have it?Sometimes in life success goes beyond skin color.

timmy2003
01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Parker just doesn't have it. Manu just doesn't have it. Spurs are done.

Ibleedslvrnblk
01-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Players at age 37...Note....Duncan has played more games than some of these guys at the point of their careers

Duncan - 14.6pts/7.5 rebs
Olajawuon - 10.3pts/6.2 rebs
Malone - 23.2pts/8.3 rebs - Superhuman! Also shorter....
Ewing - 15 pts/7.4 rebs
Barkley - Did not make it to age 37

There are 1st round draft picks in their 20`s who wish they could average what Duncan is still doing. To assume he would be Jordan at age 37 is a bit absurd. Remembering all the joy and happiness he gave your sorry asses the last 16 years deserves a little respect.

xmas1997
01-18-2014, 11:26 AM

This is an obvious fact.
Those who disagree with your assessment are the ones who are in denial, or just plain ignorant.

G-Dawgg
01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
What made Duncan so deadly last year was how accurate his midrange jumper was. He doesn't seem to have the same consistency on it this year. He's going to have to hit that shot with more regularity if the Spurs are going to be able to compete with the best teams. Time for him to put in some work on his shooting during practice.

Horse
01-18-2014, 12:51 PM
You guys make me sick. How quick you forget what grandpa did once the playoffs started last yr. If he's grandpa show some respect.

Horse
01-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Players at age 37...Note....Duncan has played more games than some of these guys at the point of their careers

Duncan - 14.6pts/7.5 rebs
Olajawuon - 10.3pts/6.2 rebs
Malone - 23.2pts/8.3 rebs - Superhuman! Also shorter....
Ewing - 15 pts/7.4 rebs
Barkley - Did not make it to age 37

There are 1st round draft picks in their 20`s who wish they could average what Duncan is still doing. To assume he would be Jordan at age 37 is a bit absurd. Remembering all the joy and happiness he gave your sorry asses the last 16 years deserves a little respect.
Don't forget most of these guys were still number options taking alll the shots at that age and never shared the ball the way Timmy does.

Budkin
01-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Just slit those wrists already.

dallasmaverickslose
01-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Timmy played HORRIBLE tonight, he couldn't even guard Aldridge. It's like LaMarcus playing with grandpa. We had a seven point lead and we were doing well, there was hope to win. And Jim brings hero ball Tony and grandpa and the lead went down.

Might as well enjoy all the games we can win because pizza face aka Pop and Mr. Alcoholic RC will never bring anyone to help. If they do, they'll be bench warmers. I feel bad for Manu because he did amazing tonight but Jim benched him in the 4th and brought Timmy/Tony back and saw the lead go away.

Pray that the basketball Gods can bring the Spurs the help we need or we'll be out in the first round.

It's one game. Chill the hell out.

Cliffdivers... SMH

TXstbobcat
01-18-2014, 01:30 PM
For his age Timmy is having a great year. He will play even better in a few months in the playoffs.

wildchild
01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
For his age Timmy is having a great year. He will play even better in a few months in the playoffs.

:tu

Duncan couldn't stop Aldridge? It's a teamwork! What about team's awful effort on D backcourt?

cd021
01-18-2014, 03:46 PM

4 statements made. All are inaccurate.

cd021
01-18-2014, 03:53 PM
What made Duncan so deadly last year was how accurate his midrange jumper was. He doesn't seem to have the same consistency on it this year. He's going to have to hit that shot with more regularity if the Spurs are going to be able to compete with the best teams. Time for him to put in some work on his shooting during practice.

He already has. Its still not dropping consistently.

PublicOption
01-18-2014, 03:54 PM
pop does not want to coach the all stars

cd021
01-18-2014, 03:56 PM
no question about this but it's just not fair to ask a 37/38 year old player guard a very talented bigman in his prime.

shows just how the the spurs desperately need another bigman who can defend.

Diaw and Splitter...

G-Dawgg
01-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Spurs will only go as far as Duncan will take them.

exstatic
01-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Pop CANT coach the All Stars in consecutive years. It's not allowed, by NBA rule.

KL2
01-18-2014, 05:54 PM
4 statements made. All are inaccurate.

PG's don't win championships period, big men and forwards do, Duncan looks done and Leonard is set up for failure in this system. When the shit hits the fan you need someone to consistently get their shot, and it can't be some 6'2 PG because they're far too easy to guard, especially one with Parker's skill set.

http://espn.go.com/nba/history/awards/_/id/43

Parker did win finals MVP (against Daniel Gibson lmao) however we all know he wasn't the best player on the team that year, it was Duncan. The only other recent time was Billups, and look at those stats. That was a combo of the Pistons lack of a scorer and Kobrick going into chuck mode. Even Kobe being MVP of those Laker teams is arguable with MvPau bailing his ass out.

Parker was the best player on the team last year, however I already listed a couple of reasons why SA was there in the first place.

timmy2003
01-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Exactly. And his D last year was also better.

daslicer
01-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Duncan's jumper will always be inconsistent because he's not a naturally great shooter like Dirk,West,Aldridge,Bosh. What separated Duncan from these guys career wise is his superior back to the basket game.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Not gonna lie. Duncan trying to guard Aldridge last night reminded me of David Robinson trying to guard Hakeem. Aldridge was just a bit too fast for Duncan, it was tough to see. No lie. There was a time when Duncan was that guy who was too much for the aging all time greats. Father time is undefeated.

BatManu20
01-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Lol at this thread

Southwest Texas Fan
01-19-2014, 12:00 AM

Pop can't coach the allstar game in consecutive years.

hitmantb
01-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Felt like when I watched Duncan against Malone/Barkley. Just so much pain to watch your favorite star player age.

I don't want to see Duncan turn into Hakeem @ Raptor, so please retire after this season unless Spurs miraculously make another run!

dav4463
01-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Blazers are just the new NBA Flavor of the Month...........Remember a few years ago how the run and gun Suns and Mavs were playing the new style that would soon dominate the NBA?.....they faded away....Spurs just keep winning through all of it.

r0drig0lac
01-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Not gonna lie. Duncan trying to guard Aldridge last night reminded me of David Robinson trying to guard Hakeem. Aldridge was just a bit too fast for Duncan, it was tough to see. No lie. There was a time when Duncan was that guy who was too much for the aging all time greats. Father time is undefeated.
exactly, anyone can see that

G-Dawgg
01-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Duncan's jumper will always be inconsistent because he's not a naturally great shooter like Dirk,West,Aldridge,Bosh. What separated Duncan from these guys career wise is his superior back to the basket game.
Yes, Duncan will never be a pure shooter however if you remember last season, his mid range jumper was almost automatic. If the Spurs are to make it back to the finals I think Duncan has to regain that consistency.

timmy2003
01-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Spurs should rely more on their defense. We no longer have any superstar who can score consistently.

DrSteffo
01-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Smh tbh

dbreiden83080
01-19-2014, 11:08 AM
31-9 folks.. Stop projecting into the future so much after every loss to a good team. It's a very long ride to a potential title.. I recall the 2007 team getting it's ass handed to them by almost every elite team in the league in the first half..

T Park
01-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Last year Andray Blatche was available for the minimum...

I'll take Boris Diaw over that dumbass every day of the week.

Spurs da champs
01-20-2014, 01:59 AM
I'll take Boris Diaw over that dumbass every day of the week.

I'd take a big man with his skill & size over Ayres/Bonner every day of the week, even more so considering he's cheaper.

DMC
01-20-2014, 02:11 AM
31-9 folks.. Stop projecting into the future so much after every loss to a good team. It's a very long ride to a potential title.. I recall the 2007 team getting it's ass handed to them by almost every elite team in the league in the first half..

You mean after a loss to every good team.

Projecting the future is what forums are for. You look at the record, the way we are playing, we can project the future from that.

Man In Black
01-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Silver and Black be coastin' What else is new. When all is said and done, it's not like the Spurs have an issue with an opp team that has an over Alpha player. If LA takes more shots and the shift moves away from Lillard and Matthews, that only helps the Spurs. But hey...the agenda peeps sure make it easy for some takes to stay on page 1. That's all I got to say.

Maybe the Spurs win 5 or not, but whatever the hell happens...I'm glad I'm a Spurs fan...some of you NOT SO MUCH.

T Park
01-20-2014, 09:38 AM
I'd take a big man with his skill & size over Ayres/Bonner every day of the week, even more so considering he's cheaper.

You go ahead and sign peanut heads like the Knicks and see how far that gets you.

T Park
01-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Projecting the future is what forums are for. You look at the record, the way we are playing, we can project the future from that.

The way "we" are playing. -*chuckles*

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Spurs still have the best record out West and Duncan was the OLDEST PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY to post a 20-20, and people will still find a way to bitch about something.

DMC
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
The way "we" are playing. -*chuckles*

Some of us can still get up and down the court *chuckles*

exstatic
01-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Not enough data. If you're going to project, you have to take history into account, too. Spurs NEVER play particularly well up to this point in the season, yet the RRT seems to kickstart them EVERY year. SPAM. It's what's for dinner...

DMC
01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Not enough data. If you're going to project, you have to take history into account, too. Spurs NEVER play particularly well up to this point in the season, yet the RRT seems to kickstart them EVERY year. SPAM. It's what's for dinner...

"You look at the record"...

That's history.

Old School 44
01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Minnesota
Clippers
Golden State
Portland
Toronto
Portland
Brooklyn
Utah
Denver
Memphis

Chicago
Portland
OKC
Detroit
Miami
Toronto
Atlanta

Philadelphia
Brooklyn
Boston
Detroit
Chicago
Indiana
Sacramento
Golden State
NY Knicks
Brooklyn
Washington

Portland
OKC
Houston
Indiana
Clippers
OKC
Houston
NY Knicks
Portland

Phoenix
Houston
Phoenix
Dallas
Minnesota
Miami
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Sacramento

This chart shows the losses of the top 5 teams in the NBA. I purposely did not label them, but I'm sure you can figure it out. I highlighted teams with below .500 records. It's not really to show one team is better than the other. I'll let you make your own conclusions. It's just to illustrate, in the NBA, on any given day, anyone can lose to anyone else.

Sure I would love the Spurs to defeat some of the better teams, but should we panic at this point if they don't? The regular season is all about making the playoffs, getting home court, and prepping your team to peak at the right time, and with a little luck avoid injuries. Still a long way to go for everyone.

Spur|n|Austin
01-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Spurs still have the best record out West and Duncan was the OLDEST PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY to post a 20-20, and people will still find a way to bitch about something.

Yep. Never ceases to amaze me how ungrateful some of the these bastards are.

dbreiden83080
01-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Mid-way point of last year raise your hand if you thought the Spurs would be 28 seconds away from a title in June. They are banged up right now also so a loss to a good team means even less to me right now. I can't sit here and get into a panic over a team that is on pace for another 60 win season in January. The Spurs will be right there again if they are healthy come playoff time..

Expert
01-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Mid-way point of last year raise your hand if you thought the Spurs would be 28 seconds away from a title in June. They are banged up right now also so a loss to a good team means even less to me right now. I can't sit here and get into a panic over a team that is on pace for another 60 win season in January. The Spurs will be right there again if they are healthy come playoff time..I don't think anyone is panicking at least not the fans here. If anything, people are just echoing what manager nobly and Greg Popovich have said. How can you argue with that?

lol managing up way manage to know glee have you to know glee Manu Ginobli they're finally voice to text got it right.