PDA

View Full Version : Things that have to change in order to beat the Trailblazers

freetiago
01-17-2014, 11:30 PM
More Leonard and less Marco
- Spurs have had a problem defending guys moving around screens for about the past 3-4 years and pretty much no one can do it on this team since they lack the lateral mobility, but perhaps the worst I've seen in a Spurs jersey is Marco Belenelli. That dude just cant even remotely contest shots and its no coincidence that the guy he was guarding was 6/7 on 3s tonight and torched him last meeting as well. If Marco plays he needs to be guarding Batum who is too passive to take advantage of the matchup and have Leonard on Matthews

Diaw/Splitter on Aldridge
-Splitter was absent tonight but hes the best Aldridge defender on the team. Diaw did a good job in the first half but in the second half after getting scored on about 3 or 4 times in the post Boylan decided he wanted length on Aldridge so he went with Duncan. Duncan can not defend Aldridge. He'll get pick and popped to death. He's too slow to show on Lillard and recover on Aldridge and it also takes him away from the rim where his defense is best

Pick and roll coverage
- The most frustrating thing for me to see was how much the Spurs decide to sit back vs a jumpshooting team. This strategy works for the Pacers who have elite defenders at every position but it won't work for SA. I have no idea why the Blazers would play 2 non-shooter in Robinso/Lopez frontcourts and the Spurs pick and roll defender would sit back 2 feet away from the rim. This basically conceeds open midrange jumpshots/floaters to Lillard and Mo Williams since Parker and Mills have no chance of recovering and contesting on the pick. Spurs will have to show hard and make the Blazers guards beat them at the rim and hope Duncan can contest Lopez/Robinson at the rim. Its a better strategy then letting the jumpshooting team get hot shooting jumpshots and its easier to contest Aldridge pick and pop shots

Hoops Czar
01-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Yeah, things have to change. A roster makeover.

capek
01-17-2014, 11:36 PM
A full, healthy roster, and SPAM. Boilin' it down.

lil_penny
01-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Splitter on aldridge when hes back
a bigger defender on lillard possibly leonard?
maybe green on batum being that batum doesn't look for his shot much any more.

your bench will slaughter ours on any given night and if it comes down to coaching pop is the best.

HI-FI
01-17-2014, 11:37 PM
:tu on OP's insights.

TheGoldStandard
01-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Aldridge was on fire tonight, it helped that he was able to be so aggressive with that elbow early that established his rhythm.. Tiago probably helps in the post but that jump shot is just a thing of beauty when it's falling.

AntiChrist
01-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Get in a time machine, tbh

Hoops Czar
01-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Aldridge was on fire tonight, it helped that he was able to be so aggressive with that elbow early that established his rhythm.. Tiago probably helps in the post but that jump shot is just a thing of beauty when it's falling.

Do you ever get tire of making excuses? Good players make plays. LA was 11-17 in the fist meeting and Tiago played. Wesley on the otherhand, is 9-13 from three and 17-27 from the field in two games. It only took a moster game from Ginobili to keep the Spurs in it or this would have been a blowout.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Do you ever get tire of making excuses? Good players make plays. LA was 11-17 in the fist meeting and Tiago played. Wesley on the otherhand, is 9-13 from three and 17-27 from the field in two games. It only took a moster game from Ginobili to keep the Spurs in it or this would have been a blowout.

Didn't make an excuse, just stating fact.. Tiago has a long reach and can help didn't say he was going to shut him down and we were going to coast to a win. LA was on fire tonight after he was able to bully Diaw in the post to start the game then his mid range jumper was falling. It happens, guys get hot and hit shots and the Spurs are not built to have a guy who can stop that. Spurs answered the bell in the 3rd quarter, played well and got the lead on the shoulder of Manu the coaching staff or lack there of are the guys who sat Leonard for most of the 2nd half because they're retarded. Dude only had 4 shot attempts all game and was 3 of 4, that's retarded basketball. Kawhi got touches and had opportunities to create but he would pull up and pass out to run offense..

Kawhi needs to be aggressive because he's not going to get plays called for him, Parker is not going to find him because there are no set plays for him, the team is a pick n roll team. The coaching staff let this one slip away in the 4th.

Truckules
01-18-2014, 12:16 AM
In addition to Splitter on Aldridge, I think Green would've been a big help tonight. I know Green's been shit on a lot this season, but he's the only decent defender the Spurs have who can defend quicker guards. I think the lack of Tiago and Danny tonight showed that they deserve the money and minutes the Spurs give to them.

KaiRMD1
01-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Blazers are just outright shooting the Spurs. At least it wasn't a blowout but man, props to the Blazers

Hoops Czar
01-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Didn't make an excuse, just stating fact.. Tiago has a long reach and can help didn't say he was going to shut him down and we were going to coast to a win. LA was on fire tonight after he was able to bully Diaw in the post to start the game then his mid range jumper was falling. It happens, guys get hot and hit shots and the Spurs are not built to have a guy who can stop that. Spurs answered the bell in the 3rd quarter, played well and got the lead on the shoulder of Manu the coaching staff or lack there of are the guys who sat Leonard for most of the 2nd half because they're retarded. Dude only had 4 shot attempts all game and was 3 of 4, that's retarded basketball. Kawhi got touches and had opportunities to create but he would pull up and pass out to run offense..

Kawhi needs to be aggressive because he's not going to get plays called for him, Parker is not going to find him because there are no set plays for him, the team is a pick n roll team. The coaching staff let this one slip away in the 4th.

Yeah, I know. Kawhi needs to be this, Kawhi needs to be that. Kawhi talks about wanting to be more involved in the offense and when he gets his shot, he passes it up. that's a Kawhi problem, not a coaching staff problem. When he starts to show more initiative, he'll get more plays called for him. He was probably siting in the second half because his defense wasn't all that and he was passing up some open looks. It might have been a teaching moment.

I also thought Manu looked great in the third but the Spurs as a whole did not. The offseason nightmare continues to plague the Spurs. They need to make an impactful trade of some kind or they won't stand a chance.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I know. Kawhi needs to be this, Kawhi needs to be that. Kawhi talks about wanting to be more involved in the offense and when he gets his shot, he passes it up. that's a Kawhi problem, not a coaching staff problem. When he starts to show more initiative, he'll get more plays called for him. He was probably siting in the second half because his defense wasn't all that and he was passing up some open looks. It might have been a teaching moment.

I also thought Manu looked great in the third but the Spurs as a whole did not. The offseason nightmare continues to plague the Spurs. They need to make an impactful trade of some kind or they won't stand a chance.

I know I post about the Spurs needing to make a trade but there is nobody out there that will come in and make an impact this season. Spurs rarely insert anyone they get mid season into the rotation that they have and adjust to the system on the fly. It would have to be a guy who's already been here or has chemistry with one of the other players and that's not happening. Teaching moments don't happen on the bench, I understand what you're getting at but Kawhi puts you in a position to win with length even if his defense is shaky, much better than running mills out there when you have Manu in God mode. 8 minutes in the 2nd half? that's bad coaching, that's bad rotations, they kept the rotations short tonight and there was a spell in the 4th where they just went cold and couldn't hit anything.

It's on Kawhi to be aggressive but call a play for the dude out of a timeout or something, get this guy on a screen and roll to the basket, get him involved.

apalisoc_9
01-18-2014, 12:36 AM
It's easy to lose the desire and want to be aggressive on a team if shit like this continue to happen to you...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228022

ElNono
01-18-2014, 12:39 AM
It's easy to lose the desire and want to be aggressive on a team if shit like this continue to happen to you...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228022

why you keep spamming this shit on every thread? :lol

people will find it if they give a shit...

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 12:40 AM
why you keep spamming this shit on every thread? :lol

people will find it if they give a shit...

It's just so easy to pick out the PG and blame him for Kawhi's woes. Kawhi really needs to grow a set though, tired of his passive play.

Sean Cagney
01-18-2014, 12:54 AM
A full, healthy roster, and SPAM. Boilin' it down.

^^^^^^ This...

Chinook
01-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Lol no they don't. Once Pop settles into a playoff rotation, they'll beat the Trailblazers like they're supposed to. Danny Green was wonderful on Lillard last time until Pop decided to close the game with Beli. Once he realizes he's more Neal than Manu and adjusts accordingly, we'll see a better product on the court.

The need for a third defender remains evident, however.

Chinook
01-18-2014, 01:00 AM
I see Texas 2 Step is lurking. How's it been? I haven't seen you around since I first joined this site.

Hoops Czar
01-18-2014, 01:00 AM
It's just so easy to pick out the PG and blame him for Kawhi's woes. Kawhi really needs to grow a set though, tired of his passive play.

Even at that, if Leonard was the team's biggest problem, they'd be in great shape. Unfortunately, you're seeing screwy rotations because the Spurs lack a backup SF and with so many players lacking certain skills which are exploited versus certain match ups, Pop has to make adjustments. The biggest pitfalls are the lack of a backup PG, SF and Parker's inefficiency. I can't see Mills style of play working in the playoffs and I'm not sure how you can afford to play Belinelli big minutes when he constantly mails it in on the defensive end. Parker needs to do a better job of orchestrating the offense and improve his defensive intensity or they don't stand a chance.

Johnny RIngo
01-18-2014, 01:08 AM
They're a bad matchup. Ideally, the Spurs should try to finish 1st seed and let OKC and Portland go at it in the second round.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Even at that, if Leonard was the team's biggest problem, they'd be in great shape. Unfortunately, you're seeing screwy rotations because the Spurs lack a backup SF and with so many players lacking certain skills which are exploited versus certain match ups, Pop has to make adjustments. The biggest pitfalls are the lack of a backup PG, SF and Parker's inefficiency. I can't see Mills style of play working in the playoffs and I'm not sure how you can afford to play Belinelli big minutes when he constantly mails it in on the defensive end. Parker needs to do a better job of orchestrating the offense and improve his defensive intensity or they don't stand a chance.

Front office screwed up during the off season not getting someone who could fill that SF role off the bench, they looked at what Green was able to do and thought that it would translate over to the SF position as a backup that's why they went after Belli. I think they were maybe hoping Ayres could also fill in that 3/4 position off the bench but that did not pan out either. The Spurs base a lot of their decisions on advanced stats hence why Tiago got such a huge payday but it doesn't always pass the eyeball test.

I'm afraid we are stuck with these rotations and there isn't much we can do about it, I do think Beli needs to go the bench again because he can hide his lack of defense on bench players but that screws us up at the 3 and the 4 off the bench. It's still a work in progress but I think by next month we should see what our playoff rotations will look like good or bad. I still believe we have the fire power and the players to make a long run in the playoffs.

cd021
01-18-2014, 01:20 AM

Yeah, that jumper is filthy. The problem seems to be Splitter is a very good post defender. That would likely encourage him to shoot more from mid range. Forcing Splitter out of the paint and degating his effectiveness as a rim protector alongside Duncan.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 01:23 AM
Yeah, that jumper is filthy. The problem seems to be Splitter is a very good post defender. That would likely encourage him to shoot more from mid range. Forcing Splitter out of the paint and degating his effectiveness as a rim protector alongside Duncan.

It forces Aldridge to shoot that jump shot and we all know that eventually that stops falling but I think we need to throw Baynes in there even if it's for a few minutes and few well timed hard fouls. Baynes won't stop him but he can lean on him when he's trying to post and he can foul the hell out of him to discourage his shot or get him out of rhythm. I'd rather force Aldridge to get hot from 17 all the time then let him establish a rhythm by backing down a smaller guy and getting comfortable and then exploding from mid range.

DMC
01-18-2014, 01:50 AM
Portland is to the Spurs what the Suns were to the Spurs. They play up tempo ball, they get out and run, they shoot lights out from the 3, except they defend meh.... better. Portland has gone through hell and back a few times, they deserve their time in the spotlight as well. We'll see how their system holds up, but they look pretty damn good. There isn't much we can do to beat them, it has to come down to making plays and hoping they don't.

DMC
01-18-2014, 01:51 AM
It forces Aldridge to shoot that jump shot and we all know that eventually that stops falling but I think we need to throw Baynes in there even if it's for a few minutes and few well timed hard fouls. Baynes won't stop him but he can lean on him when he's trying to post and he can foul the hell out of him to discourage his shot or get him out of rhythm. I'd rather force Aldridge to get hot from 17 all the time then let him establish a rhythm by backing down a smaller guy and getting comfortable and then exploding from mid range.

Goddamn your takes are horrible. You saw LMA give Tim the slip on the up and under. If he can do that to Tim, Baynes would be chopped liver in 2 minutes flat and foul out.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Goddamn your takes are horrible. You saw LMA give Tim the slip on the up and under. If he can do that to Tim, Baynes would be chopped liver in 2 minutes flat and foul out.

It's not always about stopping the defender flat out, it's about putting a body on him that makes him work.. The Spurs don't have anyone that can flat out shut down a big like him that has a jump shot and can back down any defender. Sometimes it's about making them work harder in the first half so they don't have legs in the 2nd half.

spurs10
01-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Well it's hard not to want to see Baynes lay a couple of hard fouls on Aldridge that's for sure. He was fouling the crap out of Boris. I only remember him going up and under Timmy once in the end. Mostly he was shooting jumpshots and they were falling. The Spurs will throw a variety of things at him if we face them in the playoffs. If Timmy shots like he did tonight we'll lose.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-18-2014, 04:04 AM
Leonard only taking four shots and making 3 of them, is bullshit. I don't care how you look at it, he works so hard on the defensive end, and on the boards, and he's rewarded with 4 touches.. That's ridiculous. Parker was missing everything, and Duncan struggled, so I don't see why they didn't give Kawhi the touches he deserves. Having the old warrior carry the team is a losing formula, as displayed tonight. I'm not mad about the loss, forget the loss, but with Splitter and Green out, 4 touches for Leonard is grade-A bullshit.

weeks
01-18-2014, 05:12 AM
Leonard only taking four shots and making 3 of them, is bullshit. I don't care how you look at it, he works so hard on the defensive end, and on the boards, and he's rewarded with 4 touches.. That's ridiculous. Parker was missing everything, and Duncan struggled, so I don't see why they didn't give Kawhi the touches he deserves. Having the old warrior carry the team is a losing formula, as displayed tonight. I'm not mad about the loss, forget the loss, but with Splitter and Green out, 4 touches for Leonard is grade-A bullshit.
completely agreed.
i don't know whose at fault - leonard or the coaching staff - but that stat boggles my mind.

wildchild
01-18-2014, 07:20 AM
I know I post about the Spurs needing to make a trade but there is nobody out there that will come in and make an impact this season. Spurs rarely insert anyone they get mid season into the rotation that they have and adjust to the system on the fly. It would have to be a guy who's already been here or has chemistry with one of the other players and that's not happening. Teaching moments don't happen on the bench, I understand what you're getting at but Kawhi puts you in a position to win with length even if his defense is shaky, much better than running mills out there when you have Manu in God mode. 8 minutes in the 2nd half? that's bad coaching, that's bad rotations, they kept the rotations short tonight and there was a spell in the 4th where they just went cold and couldn't hit anything.
It's on Kawhi to be aggressive but call a play for the dude out of a timeout or something, get this guy on a screen and roll to the basket, get him involved.

Couldn't agree more.

How a coach build confidence in young talented player? Giving chances to improve, opportunities to take responsibility for him, involve him in the game.

Sit him and going with Marco instead of Leonard down the stretch isn't the way. This not only hurts the kid self confidence, hurts team defensively.

wildchild
01-18-2014, 07:32 AM

:tu
Leonard was doing well last games and we just stopped going to him for some stupid reason vs Blazers.
His teammates don't recognize when he's on? or he's open and defer? Well Pop should say something, let Kawhi run some offense, let him run the pick.
I've been so frustrated with coach's decisions and lack of adjustment.

apalisoc_9
01-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Couldn't agree more.

How a coach build confidence in young talented player? Giving chances to improve, opportunities to take responsibility for him, involve him in the game.

Sit him and going with Marco instead of Leonard down the stretch isn't the way. This not only hurts the kid self confidence, hurts team defensively.

This is what I've been trying to preach all along. I admit I've been somewhat annoying with trollish game, but people expect Leonard to Shoot when Parker is Setting a play for himself and others? The kid is not going to break a play call just to get his.

Pop and Parker is part to blame of Leonard's confidence right now...Confidence is built, it isn't just something that you have or don't have. Fucking hate some of the guys in here that continue to hate on the kid for apparently not being aggressive enough and being hesitant...The kid ranks nowehere in the top 100 for most touches in the game for a player..just let that sink in..Half of his touches too are plays designed for Parker.

Was he heistant in the finals? NO..Why? Because he got calls and touches..It built his confidence.

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 07:56 AM
No Green

No Splitter

KL underutilized

Still almost won

Not worried about the Blazers in the playoffs if we're at full strength.

wildchild
01-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Pop and Parker is part to blame of Leonard's confidence right now...

Well, Parker shouldn't build Leonard's confidence, it's Pop's job.
(Even if Tony or somebody ignores the wide open when it's Leonard, or Kawhi's open and defer, it's Pop's job to say something).

I really hope I am wrong but seems Pop doesn't want a new challenge for himself as a coach with Kawhi and his development.

r0drig0lac
01-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Portland is to the Spurs what the Suns were to the Spurs. They play up tempo ball, they get out and run, they shoot lights out from the 3, except they defend meh.... better. Portland has gone through hell and back a few times, they deserve their time in the spotlight as well. We'll see how their system holds up, but they look pretty damn good. There isn't much we can do to beat them, it has to come down to making plays and hoping they don't.no they do not deserve to be the center of attention, no matter what passed

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 10:23 AM
This is what I've been trying to preach all along. I admit I've been somewhat annoying with trollish game, but people expect Leonard to Shoot when Parker is Setting a play for himself and others? The kid is not going to break a play call just to get his.

Pop and Parker is part to blame of Leonard's confidence right now...Confidence is built, it isn't just something that you have or don't have. Fucking hate some of the guys in here that continue to hate on the kid for apparently not being aggressive enough and being hesitant...The kid ranks nowehere in the top 100 for most touches in the game for a player..just let that sink in..Half of his touches too are plays designed for Parker.

Was he heistant in the finals? NO..Why? Because he got calls and touches..It built his confidence.

Every player in the NBA relish for the moment they can have the ball in their hands to create, we see scrubs all the time who force the issue and chuck shots, it was everything that made Gary Neal who he was. Kawhi almost always defers the ball, the only timenhe shoots is if he has a wide open 3, a fast break or they catch him slashing but that's really not because he had plays called for him.

The Spurs are regimented in how they play, it's a system and Parker doesn't deviate. Almost every play is pick n roll with Tim or tony taking the shot or kicking it out. The only person who deviates from the plan is Manu and Pop can't bench him and won't.

Pop and the assistant scrubs need to demand that he takes shots or get his ass involved in the screen and rolls at the elbow off that 3 point line he camps there all the time. Dude needs to start acting like am alpha then you get the players respect

DMC
01-18-2014, 11:43 AM
no they do not deserve to be the center of attention, no matter what passed

Your hate for them is no stronger than mine, but give the devil his due.

wildchild
01-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Dude needs to start acting like am alpha then you get the players respect

Maybe it will be hard for a young player to start acting like an alpha next games, when the coach benched him last game and sends the message "Kawhi, you're expendable, you aren't important to us, we don't need you"

Really, it doesn't make the kid stronger.

Budkin
01-18-2014, 01:00 PM
We have to make some type of trade to improve our D. It's beyond laughable at this point.

McGusto55
01-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Yea guard Wesley

benfti
01-18-2014, 04:58 PM
We need to hack LMA like a lil bitch

Raven
01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
very very good takes.

intlspurshk
01-18-2014, 11:48 PM
There are couples of changes need to be made to solve the match up issues with Portland,OKC, Rocket. The key one is to get a mobile big who can defend quick PF/SF and produce more offensively than Tiago. The second one is to find a mobile SG/PG to defend the quick PG from OKC and Portland and relieve the workload for Parker. The last thing is to move Marco back to bench to enjoy the great chemistry with Manu and less defensive responsibilities Then these make SPURS become a true champion contender