PDA

View Full Version : Game 40 thoughts: Spurs vs Blazers

jesterbobman
01-17-2014, 11:56 PM
On taking the assignment, I knew the history of the Spurs struggles against the Blazers over the last few years.

I'll subject myself to the potential torture of the Portland game on the 17th.

Popcorn Machine Gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20140117&game=PORSAS

The potential torture part of that statement ended up being accurate. After a Boris Diaw jumper, the Spurs were up 20-13. That would be the Spurs largest lead of the game, as the Blazers came back to even up the first quarter, then start to take control after spurs offensive drought in the middle of the second. After a great Mills to Leonard pass for a layup to make it 38-36 Blazers, the Spurs scored 2 points in 3 minutes of game time to make it 46-38. The teams traded blows over the rest of the first half, with a Boris buzzer beater making it 54-49 at intermission.
The second started with a nice Marco fake and jumper, but Wes Matthews(6/7 from 3) hit one of his bombs to extend the lead, and the Blazers extended their lead up to 12 after Pop Pop'd and was ejected, after consecutive T's. After the T's, Marco and Tim helped each other out to cut the lead to 7, Lilliard hit 1 from 18 feet, then Manu Ginobili went into GOD mode.

5:18

69-63
Manu Ginobili makes 24-foot three point jumper (Tony Parker assists)

4:58
LaMarcus Aldridge makes 14-foot jumper
71-63

4:41
Wesley Matthews personal foul (Marco Belinelli draws the foul)
71-63

4:41
Mo Williams enters the game for Wesley Matthews
71-63

4:33

71-63
Tim Duncan misses layup

4:31
LaMarcus Aldridge defensive rebound
71-63

4:13
LaMarcus Aldridge makes 15-foot two point shot
73-63

4:01
LaMarcus Aldridge personal foul (Marco Belinelli draws the foul)
73-63

4:01
Joel Freeland enters the game for Robin Lopez
73-63

3:51

73-66
Manu Ginobili makes 25-foot three point jumper (Tony Parker assists)

3:31
LaMarcus Aldridge misses 5-foot Running Jumper
73-66

73-66
Spurs defensive team rebound

Joel Freeland loose ball foul (Tim Duncan draws the foul)
73-66

Trail Blazers Full timeout

73-66
Jeff Ayres enters the game for Boris Diaw

3:23

73-68
Manu Ginobili makes layup (Tim Duncan assists)

3:01
Damian Lillard misses 25-foot three point jumper
73-68

3:00

73-68
Manu Ginobili defensive rebound

2:49
LaMarcus Aldridge shooting foul (Tim Duncan draws the foul)
73-68

73-68
Tim Duncan misses free throw 1 of 2

73-68
Spurs offensive team rebound

73-68
Patty Mills enters the game for Marco Belinelli

C.J. McCollum enters the game for Damian Lillard
73-68

73-68
Tim Duncan misses free throw 2 of 2

LaMarcus Aldridge defensive rebound
73-68

2:38
Nicolas Batum misses 14-foot jumper
73-68

Trail Blazers offensive team rebound
73-68

73-68
Jeff Ayres loose ball foul (LaMarcus Aldridge draws the foul)

2:31
Joel Freeland misses 19-foot jumper
73-68

2:30

73-68

2:20

73-70
Manu Ginobili makes 11-foot two point shot

2:09

73-70
Manu Ginobili personal foul (Nicolas Batum draws the foul)

2:00

73-70
Tim Duncan shooting foul (LaMarcus Aldridge draws the foul)

LaMarcus Aldridge makes free throw 1 of 2
74-70

Wesley Matthews enters the game for Nicolas Batum
74-70

LaMarcus Aldridge makes free throw 2 of 2
75-70

1:40

75-70
Tony Parker misses 24-foot three point jumper

1:39
Wesley Matthews defensive rebound
75-70

1:31
LaMarcus Aldridge misses 18-foot jumper
75-70

1:30

75-70
Tony Parker defensive rebound

1:16
C.J. McCollum shooting foul (Manu Ginobili draws the foul)
75-70

75-71
Manu Ginobili makes free throw 1 of 3

75-72
Manu Ginobili makes free throw 2 of 3

75-72
Kawhi Leonard enters the game for Tony Parker

75-73
Manu Ginobili makes free throw 3 of 3

0:59
Wesley Matthews makes 19-foot jumper (Mo Williams assists)
77-73

0:48

77-76
Manu Ginobili makes 25-foot three point jumper (Kawhi Leonard assists)

0:29
Mo Williams misses 16-foot jumper
77-76

0:28

77-76

0:07

77-76
Manu Ginobili misses 26-foot three point jumper

0:06

77-76
Kawhi Leonard offensive rebound

0:00

77-78
Manu Ginobili makes driving layup

0:00
End of the 3rd Quarter

18 consecutive Spurs points, along with 4 boards as the Spurs took the lead heading into the final stanza.

The teams were close throughout the majority of the 4th, Spurs up 5 after 4 minutes and 92-91 with Marco at the line to tie on an and-1 with 4:11 left.

After that, The Blazers went red hot. Wes 3, LMA long 2, Wes 3, Batum 2, Wes 3, Lamarcus from 19(MISS!!!), then 2 sets of Mo Williams 3's iced it.

Box Score: http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489462

Tim Duncan
Below average outing from Tim. 13/7 in 36 minutes against the Blazers isn't going to do it, especially with Splitter out.
Boris Diaw
Really good offensively, and bothered LaMarcus early.
Kawhi Leonard
Efficient. Great rebounding.(9 in 29 minutes) Passed up open shots too much. Only taking 4 shots is unacceptable, needs to be more aggressive, looking to score even in the times Manu was in God mode.
Marco Belinelli
Decent offensively.
Tony Parker
Not as explosive as normal, for obvious reasons.
Manu Ginobili
GOD MODE.
Jeff Ayres
1 Dunk?
Matt Bonner
6 minutes, 3 boards, 0/2. Competed well until he was forced out.
Patty Mills
3/11. More mobile defensively than Parker, but an off shooting night.

Overall, disappointing, but losing to a good team/fringe contender without 2 starters and a crippled parker isn't the biggest shock. On to game 41.

01-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Good stuff OP, and like you said, there's no reason to catch feels over this loss. On to game 41.

Aremid
01-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Championship teams rally and find a way to win at home. These losses are alarming and the sooner the FO realizes it the better they can acquire some talent in a trade. NO MORE EXCUSES

RD2191
01-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes, on to game 41 so we can overrate a win against the Bucks and then downplay a loss to OKC.

ElNono
01-18-2014, 12:09 AM
thanks for the writeup :tu

apalisoc_9
01-18-2014, 12:11 AM
kawhi needs to be more aggresive

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228022&p=7078265#post7078265

See this and know why he isn't aggressive...

heyheymymy
01-18-2014, 12:15 AM
ginobili was the silver lining, was incredible to watch; and throw in a healthy parker, green + splitter and ANY shots falling tonight for duncan or mills and we clean them up easily.

DMC
01-18-2014, 12:20 AM
The story of the game is how the Spurs were in the bonus with almost 9 minutes left on the clock when Tim and Tony returned to the floor. They settled for long jumpers and rarely attacked. Prior to that, the bench was going right at the Blazers, getting to the line and getting points.

I realize it's counter to the main drive of this forum, but Tim often gets obligatory shots and those are often the same as turnovers. You just know when he catches at the top of the key and spends 3 seconds eyeballing the rim, it's going to be a flat clank off the front or back of the rim. There's no reason for that shot. It doesn't spread the floor, they let him take it and sure he hits sometimes, but it's pretty much a turnover. I just know when he's back in the game and they need offense, they are fucked if their fortunes rest with his outside shooting ability.

The starters just didn't attack the rim. They were lackadaisical on offense, not much better on D. Just another iteration in an 82 game season.

There was no reason for Pop to get himself ejected. He's not the 6th man on the floor. I think he injects more of himself into the game than he needs to. It didn't really get the team fired up. The bench played ok regardless. Don't blame the officiating because Diaw cannot stop LMA. Hell no one can this season it seems. Lick your wounds and watch film and ask Leonard why the fuck he keeps pussying out when he's got a mismatch, why he defers when he's wide open, why he stops at the 3pt line and looks for someone to save him instead of attacking a smaller defender one on one and maybe getting an and 1. Then ask yourself why Tony Parker, one of the best PGs in the league, doesn't know how to pass the fucking ball.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Went to the game tonight expecting to see a gutsy performance from the Spurs, Tiago & Green out, Parker banged up but still a team that is searching for a win over a top team which they themselves have stated is something they are looking for.

Tim did what he could but that jumper needs work, he either doesn't get enough lift or he extends his arms out and throws a very flat ball. Defensively there was not much he was going to be able to do to a RED HOT Aldridge, very few could have stopped that jumper tonight once he got it cooking and he was able to bully Boris early in the game. Some of those early back downs in the post should have been called offensive fouls, lots of elbows to create the space but I won't blame the refs (56 was the worst).

Boris was offensively genius tonight, passed up on a few outside shots but was able to shake and bake in the paint to get some nice shots, he's not going to be a defensive stopper, he has quick hands for guys who like to face up but Aldridge just had it going and backed everyone up at will.

I don't understand Kawhi Leonard, can't explain it and don't know what else there can be done in order for this dude to just get the ball. It's a 3 prong problem but it falls on coaching and it falls on Kawhi, he doesn't get plays drawn up for him and when he has the ball he doesn't create. There were a number of times he brought the ball up after a rebound and had a lane to drive to create contact or pull up and call for a screen and he passed out of it and just went to hide in the corner. The coaching staff needs to demand that there are touches for kawhi in the post but this is a pick n roll team and whoever is setting the pick they are going to get the ball or tony is going to drive and either shoot or kick it to the corner. Coaching staff is just fucking this kid up by not getting the ball in his hand or telling him it's okay for him to just let it fly and create.

Bonner got a broken nose tonight and he didn't get a call, don't understand how we do not get the grace of calls being that we are at home, but this is the San Antonio Spurs, it's as if we always play at a disadvantage for some reason.

Manu was GOD like tonight, he only had that shitty turnover because Parker didn't get to the corner.

Parker played well despite his injury, looked a little stiff during time outs and was limping but did more than I thought he would.

Patty played way too many minutes tonight, bad rotations from novice coaches who have no business being on the bench at all.

I'm frustrated but I saw a team that played decent, it wasn't like the Blazers just defensively shut us down, Spurs missed shots, shots they can typically make and we're missing 2 dudes that help defensively. Oh well, on to the next one but still Kawhi is troubling.

DMC
01-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Parker wasn't supposed to be in the corner on that play. Manu was trying to improvise once he was in trouble and threw to a grey shirt that happened to be a ref. Spurs were not going to come back, they could not get a stop. Once the starters were put back in, game was over imo.

sananspursfan21
01-18-2014, 01:00 AM
This game was extremely annoying to watch. Where were the rotations on the perimeter???

superjames1992
01-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Honestly, Tony and Timmy played horribly in the closing minutes. Tony wouldn't relinquish control of the basketball to Manu, who was on fire, and Manu scarcely had a shot attempt in the closing minute sawhile Tony and Timmy threw up brick after brick.

Sean Cagney
01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Yes, on to game 41 so we can overrate a win against the Bucks and then downplay a loss to OKC.

Bet on this happening too. Then again it's the regular season! DO NOT WORRY! LMFAO.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Bet on this happening too. Then again it's the regular season! DO NOT WORRY! LMFAO.

If we lose to OKC that will be the ultimate in embarrassing moments this season.

DMC
01-18-2014, 01:46 AM
Losing isn't embarrassing. Not competing is embarrassing.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 01:48 AM
Losing isn't embarrassing. Not competing is embarrassing.

Spurs will compete but we don't have any excuses to lose to a Westbrook-less OKC.

RD2191
01-18-2014, 01:48 AM
That would blow but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Durant has been on fire these past few games.

spurs10
01-18-2014, 01:58 AM
The story of the game is how the Spurs were in the bonus with almost 9 minutes left on the clock when Tim and Tony returned to the floor. They settled for long jumpers and rarely attacked. Prior to that, the bench was going right at the Blazers, getting to the line and getting points.

I realize it's counter to the main drive of this forum, but Tim often gets obligatory shots and those are often the same as turnovers. You just know when he catches at the top of the key and spends 3 seconds eyeballing the rim, it's going to be a flat clank off the front or back of the rim. There's no reason for that shot. It doesn't spread the floor, they let him take it and sure he hits sometimes, but it's pretty much a turnover. I just know when he's back in the game and they need offense, they are fucked if their fortunes rest with his outside shooting ability.

The starters just didn't attack the rim. They were lackadaisical on offense, not much better on D. Just another iteration in an 82 game season.

There was no reason for Pop to get himself ejected. He's not the 6th man on the floor. I think he injects more of himself into the game than he needs to. It didn't really get the team fired up. The bench played ok regardless. Don't blame the officiating because Diaw cannot stop LMA. Hell no one can this season it seems. Lick your wounds and watch film and ask Leonard why the fuck he keeps pussying out when he's got a mismatch, why he defers when he's wide open, why he stops at the 3pt line and looks for someone to save him instead of attacking a smaller defender one on one and maybe getting an and 1. Then ask yourself why Tony Parker, one of the best PGs in the league, doesn't know how to pass the fucking ball. I was at the game as well and couldn't believe the starters stopped #$^#ing attacking the rim when they had them in foul trouble with nine minutes left in the fourth. Good thing Boylen left Manu on the bench for most of that quarter as well!!:bang Had a four year old little girl sitting next to me asking, "why isn't the guy that was making all those baskets a minute ago playing?" Your take is dead on.

I'm not sure Pop had much of a choice with going off on the refs. LaMarcus Elbow was knocking the crap out of Boris. Now that isn't a very good reason for the loss. We had five $%&ing fouls on them and decided to let Timmy do his line-drive, shot put clinic from the perimeter. My flat feet have more of an arch in them than Timmy's perimeter shot tonight. Kawhi taking as many shots as Ayres is probably not a winning strategy, as well.
"Daddy why isn't the good guy that puts the ball in the hoop not playing?" :bang

superjames1992
01-18-2014, 01:59 AM
Spurs will compete but we don't have any excuses to lose to a Westbrook-less OKC.
If Durant goes off for 54 points, though........

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 02:01 AM
If Durant goes off for 54 points, though........

Then that must mean Kawhi was on the bench for long stretches and our coaching staff has gone full blown stupid.

spurs10
01-18-2014, 02:05 AM
Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the Game Thoughts! Well done man...:toast

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 08:33 AM
The Spurs will still win 50+ games and get back to the Finals. Stop whining. :lobt2:

wildchild
01-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks jesterbobman! :toast

Spurs struggle to defend the Blazers pick-and-roll. Aldridge-Lillard duo was really hard to stop and Spurs D backcourt with Parker-Manu-Beli is an unbalanced lineup.

About Leonard, if he just has not been aggressive enough or if he needs to be more aggressive and he isn't, why the coach doesn't want to get the kid a play to involve him in the game, to build his confidence, to show the right way?
IMHO the kid isn't more aggresive because Pop doesn't give him more rope to challenge his skills in games.

One week ago:
“Once every four or five games,” Leonard said about to call plays for him. “It's not for me to score on the team,” “It's not built around me for that right now. So it's pretty much the same role as last year.”

RD2191
01-18-2014, 08:36 AM
That is ridiculous TampaDude, Spurs couldn't make back to back Finals with a prime Duncan/Manu but yes, they will do it now with an old ass dust Tim/Manu.

TampaDude
01-18-2014, 08:40 AM
That is ridiculous TampaDude, Spurs couldn't make back to back Finals with a prime Duncan/Manu but yes, they will do it now with an old ass dust Tim/Manu.

The negativity is strong with this one. :lol

AFBlue
01-18-2014, 09:24 AM
The Blazers are a really tough matchup for the Spurs. It'll be interesting to watch (in person) their game in March, assuming Splitter and Green are healthy. Spurs need extra defenders against that deep scoring backcourt and LMA. The only thing that concerns me after seeing this contest is the trouble Duncan had with Lopez on both ends.

sammy
01-18-2014, 09:39 AM
The Blazers are a really tough matchup for the Spurs. It'll be interesting to watch (in person) their game in March, assuming Splitter and Green are healthy. Spurs need extra defenders against that deep scoring backcourt and LMA. The only thing that concerns me after seeing this contest is the trouble Duncan had with Lopez on both ends.

I was concerned as well! Why wasn't Baynes playing! At least he's another big that could defend Aldridge? Doesn't make sense why we go small ball with Diaw defending Aldridge as he just shoots over him? I was very disappointed that Manu stayed on the bench too long since he had the hot hand and we lost the lead once he was on the bench! Bad coaching from Boylen!

AFBlue
01-18-2014, 09:47 AM
I was concerned as well! Why wasn't Baynes playing! At least he's another big that could defend Aldridge? Doesn't make sense why we go small ball with Diaw defending Aldridge as he just shoots over him? I was very disappointed that Manu stayed on the bench too long since he had the hot hand and we lost the lead once he was on the bench! Bad coaching from Boylen!

I was also surprised we didn't see Joseph against their small ball backcourt sets. With Patty's stroke off, the Spurs could've used CoJo's D.

Chomag
01-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Championship teams usually dont allow themselves to get punked at home and how many times has it been this season now? I hope Spurs wake up soon and start playing up to their potential. I know alot here are satisfied because of the Spurs record but that seems moot to me with how many shit teams there are to run up wins on this year.

I think the most glaring issue right now is with KL. Pop and the team need to find a way to get this kid more involved. His development or lack of has been abysmal. He is actually averaging less minutes then he did last year.

TheGoldStandard
01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I find it very interesting the Spurs have a better road record than at home.

boutons_deux
01-18-2014, 12:14 PM
I find it very interesting the Spurs have a better road record than at home.

interesting?
home losses to good teams,

road wins to shitty teams.

very depressing

kaji157
01-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Clearlly our only effective weapon tonight was Manu, and we used him only 25 minutes. If we wanted to win the rotations would have been different.

DMC
01-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Clearlly our only effective weapon tonight was Manu, and we used him only 25 minutes. If we wanted to win the rotations would have been different.

On offense.

Game is played at both ends. Spurs scored well enough to win based on their Points Allowed average, but they didn't defend well enough. Splitter being out is part of the reason, but not all of it.

Budkin
01-18-2014, 12:56 PM
So which good teams have we lost to now at home? Rockets(x2), Thunder, and Blazers? Losing another home game to the Thunder in a couple days tbh?

TXstbobcat
01-18-2014, 01:19 PM

rinse and repeat for the rest of the regular season. :lmao

Cry Havoc
01-18-2014, 02:45 PM
I've never seen a team that holds the best record in perhaps the most stacked conference of all time get such hate.

It's just bizarre.

RD2191
01-18-2014, 02:50 PM
I've never seen a team that holds the best record in perhaps the most stacked conference of all time get such hate.

It's just bizarre.
So if we lose to OKC you won't be worried? I mean if we can't beat these teams in the reg season at home then how are we going to do it in the playoffs? Yes, we are missing Green and Splitter but we were still losing to top playoff teams with them. OKC went into Houston down Westbrook and still won the game. We can't even beat Houston at home.

look_at_g_shred
01-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Spurstalk :
Spurs win= meaningless regular season game don't get too excited
Spurs lose = Spurs are done as contenders #tankforjabai

dbestpro
01-18-2014, 04:14 PM
I wonder how the game would have played out had we gone over the screen instead of under the screen. Portland may have still hit their shots, but they would have been 2s instead of 3s. Probably waiting for a playoff adjustment.

Raven
01-18-2014, 04:39 PM
guys, it's all about defence, we start playing real defenders and we beat anybody.

Proxy
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
missing two starters who contribute greatly on the defensive side of the ball.

Cry Havoc
01-18-2014, 05:16 PM
So if we lose to OKC you won't be worried? I mean if we can't beat these teams in the reg season at home then how are we going to do it in the playoffs? Yes, we are missing Green and Splitter but we were still losing to top playoff teams with them. OKC went into Houston down Westbrook and still won the game. We can't even beat Houston at home.

There have been instances in title years where we have gone 0-3 to good teams throughout the season and then swept or 4-1ed them in the playoffs.

Of course it's not a good feeling to lose to them in the regular season, but it's hardly an indicator of post-season success.

We still have a better record, which means that Portland is going out and getting done to them what they did to us by another team. That doesn't mean that Portland would get swept by, say, New Orleans, it just means they went out and had a bad night.

Keep in mind, between Duncan, Manu, and Parker, our guys have twenty five HUNDRED games of experience. They aren't going to go out looking to "prove" anything in January against a young team. They've already proven it season after season. They know how to stay calm, play poised ball, and save their 100% efforts for the games that are going to decide who moves into the next round. Portland, meanwhile, feels like they are the new team and that every game really does mean something. They're young, they play on their instincts and emotion, and sometimes that leads to games like last night. It's GREAT when you have a guy like Matthews who shoots 6-7, but when they need him in the playoffs and keep kicking it out to find a defender there and subsequently a 2-8 performance, they're going to throw their hands up in frustration and wonder "what the fuck happened" because "hey these guys were easy back in January when they weren't closing out on our shooters". That's why they go out and beat us but drop a game to the fucking 76ers, who have no business being on the same court as Portland this year.

They also recently lost to the Kings. Does that mean that Portland fans should be jumping ship because one of the worst teams in the league beat them?

These are the swings of being a fan. You have to temper your emotion and your kneejerk reaction to losses. They suck, they feel like shit, and it feels like the team can't do anything right, but it's just one night. It's 1/82nd of the season. That's 1.2% of the games that don't even count for anything come April and May. I would much rather lose every game to Portland this year and have home court advantage than sweep them and have to walk into the Moda Center to start the 2nd round of the playoffs knowing you have to take one of the first two games or be going home down 0-2.

RD2191
01-18-2014, 05:59 PM
There have been instances in title years where we have gone 0-3 to good teams throughout the season and then swept or 4-1ed them in the playoffs.

Of course it's not a good feeling to lose to them in the regular season, but it's hardly an indicator of post-season success.

We still have a better record, which means that Portland is going out and getting done to them what they did to us by another team. That doesn't mean that Portland would get swept by, say, New Orleans, it just means they went out and had a bad night.

Keep in mind, between Duncan, Manu, and Parker, our guys have twenty five HUNDRED games of experience. They aren't going to go out looking to "prove" anything in January against a young team. They've already proven it season after season. They know how to stay calm, play poised ball, and save their 100% efforts for the games that are going to decide who moves into the next round. Portland, meanwhile, feels like they are the new team and that every game really does mean something. They're young, they play on their instincts and emotion, and sometimes that leads to games like last night. It's GREAT when you have a guy like Matthews who shoots 6-7, but when they need him in the playoffs and keep kicking it out to find a defender there and subsequently a 2-8 performance, they're going to throw their hands up in frustration and wonder "what the fuck happened" because "hey these guys were easy back in January when they weren't closing out on our shooters". That's why they go out and beat us but drop a game to the fucking 76ers, who have no business being on the same court as Portland this year.

They also recently lost to the Kings. Does that mean that Portland fans should be jumping ship because one of the worst teams in the league beat them?

These are the swings of being a fan. You have to temper your emotion and your kneejerk reaction to losses. They suck, they feel like shit, and it feels like the team can't do anything right, but it's just one night. It's 1/82nd of the season. That's 1.2% of the games that don't even count for anything come April and May. I would much rather lose every game to Portland this year and have home court advantage than sweep them and have to walk into the Moda Center to start the 2nd round of the playoffs knowing you have to take one of the first two games or be going home down 0-2.
I get emotional, tbh. But you make some good points. I wish I was as level headed and calm as you.

spurs10
01-18-2014, 07:16 PM

These are the swings of being a fan. You have to temper your emotion and your kneejerk reaction to losses. They suck, they feel like shit, and it feels like the team can't do anything right, but it's just one night. It's 1/82nd of the season. That's 1.2% of the games that don't even count for anything come April and May. I would much rather lose every game to Portland this year and have home court advantage than sweep them and have to walk into the Moda Center to start the 2nd round of the playoffs knowing you have to take one of the first two games or be going home down 0-2. Great read! Thanks! :toast

spurs10
01-18-2014, 07:19 PM
I get emotional, tbh. But you make some good points. I wish I was as level headed and calm as you. It's hard to not be emotional when you are a big fan. "Level headed" is not a term I would have used for myself at the game last night! :lol

SpurYank
01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Someone described Manu's performance as "God like." Many described the Spurs overall performance as the opposite of this. Summary (for the traditional negative Spurs fans): Let's get rid of this bunch and draft "God like performers." This is certainly going to satisfy the perfectionists.

Me? I enjoyed the hell out of this game and thought our Spurs, Pop, all, gave it all they had for TONIGHT. We lose minimally 22 to 25 games a year. I went to bed knowing why I love to watch my Spurs, from all the way up here near the Penn. border, in Maryland.

PS: Watching Manu tonight gave me confidence for the playoffs. With everyone else contributing, we will take it this year for sure.

RD2191
01-18-2014, 07:33 PM
It's hard to not be emotional when you are a big fan. "Level headed" is not a term I would have used for myself at the game last night! :lol

:lol

TD 21
01-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Championship teams usually dont allow themselves to get punked at home and how many times has it been this season now?

Yeah, not this many times, especially within' a half a season.

It goes back to something I've harped on for years: How upstart teams, such as the Pacers and Trail Blazers, have far more swagger and confidence than this team. It should be the other way around, yet it's as if the Spurs constantly forget who they are. A team of their pedigree should be embarrassed by this and pissed off that these teams clearly don't think that highly of them. It's evident not just on the court, but from myriad comments over the years, from Love, to Lee, to Parsons, etc.

polandprzem
01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
The worst thing of losing again to a contender team is that spurs can feel they not gonna beat top clubs this year.
They just fall and collapse time and time again. Habit that is not necessary needed when it comes to drive fo 5

heyheymymy
01-18-2014, 08:35 PM

solid take, and I didn't even know I needed to hear it. remember 07, we lost to the cavs both times we played them in the reg season and then swept them in the finals. the cavs looked like 2 diff teams.

hitmantb
01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
I have never seen a title team lose every single game against elite teams it must go through in the playoffs, and end up winning the title.

0-2 vs Thunder, Blazers, Rockets, we can only hope they turn it around after the all star game, and it is just them saving energy/needing more time to recover from game 6. Sharp decline for the entire line-up is a huge concern. We can only pray the scouts are right and Spurs as a team is only playing with 75% effort. The second half of the season, especially the final quarter is when they really need to get it together. I don't care if they are 0-3 against the teams above as long as they win the final meeting, and get some momentum/confidence going into the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/1237/scouts-takes-spurs-best-in-west

Legacy
01-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Getting tired of getting our asses handed to us on our own damn court, tbh.

Sean Cagney
01-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Getting tired of getting our asses handed to us on our own damn court, tbh.

DAMN RIGHT! It is embarassing. This is the worst I have seen the Spurs at HOME in years.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2014, 04:43 PM
DAMN RIGHT! It is embarassing. This is the worst I have seen the Spurs at HOME in years.

And yet we're the best team in the NBA on the road. Which is the #1 thing that's desired of a team for post-season success.

Sean Cagney
01-19-2014, 11:33 PM
And yet we're the best team in the NBA on the road. Which is the #1 thing that's desired of a team for post-season success.

SO lets go out and play road playoff games! I agree they are the best on the road, the lack of focus at home though is just puzzling for some reason? Oh well onto the second half!