PDA

View Full Version : So my buddy needs advice

lefty
01-18-2014, 01:25 AM
He is a Recruiter and is jobless; he has 2 offers on the table; each one has its pros and cons

He is asking my advice, but I'm very bad at that, so I'm asking you guys.

This is the email he sent me :

Need advice quick.

I have 2 offers on the table.

- The first one is exactly what im looking for : great environment, no micromanagement, would hire for the company itself, but its a 3 month contract.
Extension is a possibility, but there is no guarantee of that either.
(if it was long term or perm, it would be a no brainer).

- The other one is permanent, it's a staffing agency; you can make lots of money (thanks to commissions), but it's extremely micromanaged, and I mean micromanaged on steroids ... not to mention they want me to call superstar candidates if a client wants to hire him - outside of working hours, like 7 pm or during the weekend.
Plus they want me to book at least 15 high profile candidates for face to face interviews each week .... that's right, each week ... I know Recruters with 20 years of experience who meet only 5 candidates/week and they have great results

They took me out to lunch in a nice restaurant today (when they are so nice, it means they like you, but i had the impression they were doing it to sugar coat things; i could be wrong)

For $$$$ reasons, I cant afford to apply for other jobs and wait for other companies to get back to me.

Fucking dilemna

By the way, he has 6-7 years of solid experience, so maybe that's why he doesn't want to be micromanaged

Reck
01-18-2014, 02:53 AM
He's into you. Say yes.

lefty
01-18-2014, 05:30 AM
He's into you. Say yes.
wtf

Thread
01-18-2014, 05:49 AM
If he takes the first he'll regret passing on the second. He knows what the first is going to do. He thinks he knows what the second is going to do. At reality the first isn't good. At reality the second is a terrific challenge and if he's up to it---would change his life.

Do not live in regret.

TheRealCB
01-18-2014, 06:04 AM
If he takes the first he'll regret passing on the second. He knows what the first is going to do. He thinks he knows what the second is going to do. At reality the first isn't good. At reality the second is a terrific challenge and if he's up to it---would change his life.

Do not live in regret.

This is a wise man talking.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2014, 07:03 AM
you take the perm job man,

the first one sounds fishy, should ask them whats the employee turnover like...cause having ur friend on a short contract means there are certain obligations they dont need to fulfill compared to someone on a perm role...

BacktoBasics
01-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Do not live in regret.Just to play devils advocate there's little value in the challenge of burying yourself in a place predicated on micromanagement. This is a sure sign of ineptness from top to bottom. If there's one thing I value its the ability to function within yourself. Its nice to have a little more security but not at the expense of a death camp. That is if its as bad as he's making it out to be.

With a 3 month contract at a place that sounds like a good fit he has two things working for him. A little latitude to continue looking and a chance to get on at a place he's comfortable with.

Rogue
01-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Cully speaking the truth imho, guarantee money is guaranteed money, but it still depends on the actual situation he is in, which he hasn't told us much about. If he wants guaranteed money because he has a bitch and kids to feed, then #2 sounds the better to him because it seems to come with better stability. Sometime a man has to sacrifice his personal preference for the sake of his bitch and family imho (thats why smartest guys would rather live celibate lives). Otherwise, if he doesn't mind looking for a new job again in three months, he should go with the one he really likes. OP didn't even tell us how old his friend is, married or not.

Buddy Mignon
01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
That micro-management is a son-of-a-bitch. But, he can always go get a temp job if he gets tired of the bean counters.

lefty
01-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Just to play devils advocate there's little value in the challenge of burying yourself in a place predicated on micromanagement. This is a sure sign of ineptness from top to bottom. If there's one thing I value its the ability to function within yourself. Its nice to have a little more security but not at the expense of a death camp. That is if its as bad as he's making it out to be.

With a 3 month contract at a place that sounds like a good fit he has two things working for him. A little latitude to continue looking and a chance to get on at a place he's comfortable with.
Yeah it's micromanaged like a bitch

Its fine if you are out of school, it helps to focus and learn, but if you have 6-7 years of experience, then it's retarded

He told me it's like a call center disguised in a staffing firm.

- they expect you to be on the phone all day long, non stop .... an experienced Recruiter doesnt need to made tons of calls during the day TBH; you look at the candidate who looks qualified, analyze the CV, call, pre-qualify.... IMO, you have better results calling 5 quality candidates/day as opposed to calling 50.

- they expect you to have face to face interviews with at least 15 candidates per week, each week... which is a lot... espcecially when they are expecting you to be on the phone all day

- White board meetings every freaking morning : what did you do yesterday, how many candidates did you call, what are you gonna do today etc...

- the Branch Manager doesnt even have a separate office; actually everybody is in a big room; the only separate rooms are for interviews; open space area, desk is close, so she can see if you don't take too many piss breaks ..... WTF :lmao

- you need a very good reason to take a personal day off; like you are really sick, stuck in bed and can barely move ....... WTF, a personal day is a personal day, you are entitled to it

- during their 3rd meeting, (the lunch), they asked him what his interests are, what he likes to do... at one point during the conversion, one of them asked him if he likes to go out; then she told him that if someone goes out a lot he wont be in top form to work hard ...IMO, that means they expect you to be like machines everyday

- apparently, they have a system that can monitor your phone calls

DMC
01-18-2014, 02:11 PM
I think if he disowned you as a friend he'd see immediate returns.

BacktoBasics
01-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah it's micromanaged like a bitch

Its fine if you are out of school, it helps to focus and learn, but if you have 6-7 years of experience, then it's retarded

He told me it's like a call center disguised in a staffing firm.

- they expect you to be on the phone all day long, non stop .... an experienced Recruiter doesnt need to made tons of calls during the day TBH; you look at the candidate who looks qualified, analyze the CV, call, pre-qualify.... IMO, you have better results calling 5 quality candidates/day as opposed to calling 50.

- they expect you to have face to face interviews with at least 15 candidates per week, each week... which is a lot... espcecially when they are expecting you to be on the phone all day

- White board meetings every freaking morning : what did you do yesterday, how many candidates did you call, what are you gonna do today etc...

- the Branch Manager doesnt even have a separate office; actually everybody is in a big room; the only separate rooms are for interviews; open space area, desk is close, so she can see if you don't take too many piss breaks ..... WTF :lmao

- you need a very good reason to take a personal day off; like you are really sick, stuck in bed and can barely move ....... WTF, a personal day is a personal day, you are entitled to it

- during their 3rd meeting, (the lunch), they asked him what his interests are, what he likes to do... at one point during the conversion, one of them asked him if he likes to go out; then she told him that if someone goes out a lot he wont be in top form to work hard ...IMO, that means they expect you to be like machines everyday

- apparently, they have a system that can monitor your phone callsYeah you just described all the reasons I pulled the rip cord and bailed out to do my own thing. Some places expect you to be less of a human because you work for them. Its beyond stupidity. If there's one thing I advocate for its personal days. I tell all my employees that as long as they're not abusing it they can take as many days off as they need without reason. Just give me notice, that's all I ask.

Thread
01-18-2014, 04:50 PM
I believe (just a hunch) but the micro management angle could be overplayed, or, an opinion of a non-reality. If he wants a place to vegetate and cash checks then we're wasting our time. These people are at first light (the 2nd choice) no better than him, they're just employed. Get in there and find your judgment amongst these men and women. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut tight. Listen to what you're being told and what you're hearing and respond in the tightest window manageable, not the tightest window possible.

Take no friends---always look eye.

Work. Find your point of attack, where the company is weakest and is at your avail and exploit that weakness so you're (seen) without talking. Don't talk, talking always ruins it by revealing you and your foibles. They don't need to see those. Just your strengths. Pick your fight/work and then work/fight it.

Do not travel with the horde, especially at the start. It's so difficult to not give in, but, you must in order to have a short range survival and long term success with this company.

Do not be a 90 day wonder. Mark the date on a calendar at home and when the probationary period is over, reaffirm your commitment to the work place and the company.

Do not share your personal life with anybody in the work place. ANYBODY. Nothing. Zip, nada, zilch.

To repeat:::keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open.

lefty
01-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Thread would be a heck of a spy :lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 07:42 PM
lol the "my buddy" angle

Thread
01-18-2014, 07:43 PM
^Can ya imagine hiring Lefty? Jesus Christ, it'd take a 20 mule team to drag a straight pin outta his ass.