PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a C4 Corvette...

benefactor
01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Probably a '94 or '95. I've been weighing out options for a weekend sports car that I can get into for reasonably cheap and they seem to fit the criteria. I've always liked that body style and from what I've read they are pretty reliable. Plus from other people I've talked to it seems most of them that are used are usually garaged and pretty well cared for, as a lot of them are owned by old guys who drive them to Whataburger on the weekends.

Anyone here ever own one? Thoughts or reservations?

Koolaid_Man
01-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Probably a '94 or '95. I've been weighing out options for a weekend sports car that I can get into for reasonably cheap and they seem to fit the criteria. I've always liked that body style and from what I've read they are pretty reliable. Plus from other people I've talked to it seems most of them that are used are usually garaged and pretty well cared for, as a lot of them are owned by old guys who drive them to Whataburger on the weekends.

:lol ^ guess we know where you'll be on the weekends

CosmicCowboy
01-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Seriously, if you want to go with that vintage the Mitsubishi 3000GT was a better sports car. The Vettes still had crazy bad oversteer. I took one out when it was new in the rain and TRIED to make it lose it. Damn thing cornered like a cat. I was hitting 90 degree corners downhill at 60 in the rain and never losing the back end where a Vette would be spun out through the fence. Talking about the all wheel drive 3000GT's of course.

benefactor
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
I had buddies that said their 3000's weren't very well build and fell apart on them.

Wild Cobra
01-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Yep.

Hard to beat a 3000GT. Still, I would buy a Vette over a 3000 GT.

If it isn't a '69 or '70 Stingray, I would go with one newer, with the new aluminum block LS1 or better. They started putting these in them I think '97.

Simply personal preference.

http://web-cars.com/images/forsale-photos_img/V0424140333108.58.42.74_a.jpg (http://web-cars.com/forsale/single_ad.php?ad_number=2865)

CosmicCowboy
01-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Hmmm. Maybe so. Don't see a lot on the road anymore but don't see a lot of C4's either. I'm not anti Vette at all. Bought one when I was 24 and ran the shit out of it and sold it when I got married. Gotta really be careful with the oversteer if you buy one. You gotta go into the corner knowing the back end is gonna break and then power though the counter steer. Lose your nerve and you are gonna be in the ditch.

benefactor
01-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Yeah...I'm not going to run it that hard. Just something to run up and down the highways on the weekend in when the weather is nice.

benefactor
01-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I looked at a few C5's, but a friend of mine had one and he said he had a bunch pretty expensive electrical problems with it that left him with repeated trips to the dealership. I can get into a C4 with modest mileage for well under 15k if I do a little legwork.

TDMVPDPOY
01-19-2014, 06:13 PM
I looked at a few C5's, but a friend of mine had one and he said he had a bunch pretty expensive electrical problems with it that left him with repeated trips to the dealership. I can get into a C4 with modest mileage for well under 15k if I do a little legwork.

should invest in a horse, and learn how to smile like chuck with a roundhouse kick, u wanted under 15k and legwork

SnakeBoy
01-19-2014, 06:20 PM
I just sold my C5. Fun car, no problems, too much road noise would be my only complaint.

Oh and a lot of wobble at around 165.

cute_spursfan
01-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Do it!!!!

SnakeBoy
01-19-2014, 06:27 PM
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/corvettes-for-sale-4.html

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Don't go for a c5. My grandfather had two and they were both a bitch in the long run... but if you aren't driving it much... then fuck it

lil'mo
01-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Is it true having a small penis makes you want to buy fast or big cars?

Gotta compensate somehow I guess :lol

Wild Cobra
01-19-2014, 06:53 PM

No.

It's those with small penises that have to find cause to accept their small size, and make fun of others.

DMC
01-19-2014, 07:06 PM
I had buddies that said their 3000's weren't very well build and fell apart on them.

I had a 3000GT and your buddy is right.

FkLA
01-19-2014, 07:47 PM
SS or Trans Am are solid options as well tbh. BTW I've heard bad things about the 3000GT as well.

benefactor
01-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Get the body style after that. Make sure it has an LS1 LS2 or LS3
LS1 is your best bang for your buck. Don't mess around with an LT engine unless it's a LT 4
But C4s are generally junk.
I kicked around the idea of a GTO too because it has the LS engine, but I've heard those have some build quality issues too. I have heard that the LT engines can occasionally have some head gasket problems but overall they are fairly solid. The LT4 is the ZR-1 engine, right?

benefactor
01-19-2014, 08:15 PM
SS or Trans Am are solid options as well tbh. BTW I've heard bad things about the 3000GT as well.
My wife's coworker's husband had a 2001 SLP Firehawk that I really wanted but just didn't have the cash at the time. He only wanted like 13k for it and it only had 55k miles on it.

I might look into a Camaro or a T/A. Just depends on what's available at the time. It's going to be a little bit before I actually buy I'm just doing some homework right now.

Wild Cobra
01-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I kicked around the idea of a GTO too because it has the LS engine, but I've heard those have some build quality issues too. I have heard that the LT engines can occasionally have some head gasket problems but overall they are fairly solid. The LT4 is the ZR-1 engine, right?
If you mean the newer GTO's, the new LS series engine is an entire remake. Nothing in common with the traditional small block except the bore spacing, center to center. The GTO is based on the Holden Monaro, and I think its built in Australia as well.

lil'mo
01-19-2014, 08:28 PM
No.

It's those with small penises that have to find cause to accept their small size, and make fun of others.

:lol you just confirmed the theory. Penis compensation can be expensive lol

Wild Cobra
01-19-2014, 08:28 PM
My wife's coworker's husband had a 2001 SLP Firehawk that I really wanted but just didn't have the cash at the time. He only wanted like 13k for it and it only had 55k miles on it.

I might look into a Camaro or a T/A. Just depends on what's available at the time. It's going to be a little bit before I actually buy I'm just doing some homework right now.
A Firehawk would be cool, but I snagged a 2002 WS6 when I found one available.

Great ride!

benefactor
01-19-2014, 08:38 PM
If you mean the newer GTO's, the new LS series engine is an entire remake. Nothing in common with the traditional small block except the bore spacing, center to center. The GTO is based on the Holden Monaro, and I think its built in Australia as well.
Yep...the one they made up to 2006. I thought the G8 was the Holden collaboration? The GTO was as well?

SnakeBoy
01-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Is it true that being so broke you have to share an apartment with family members causes you to spend your time on the internet talking about dick?

benefactor
01-19-2014, 08:54 PM
And :lol thispego's obsession with people who drive sports cars. Some people actually buy them for what they are for and not to overcompensate. I still have my Maxima for the daily driver.

DJR210
01-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Don't go for a c5. My grandfather had two and they were both a bitch in the long run... but if you aren't driving it much... then fuck it

Let me guess..you prefer Jaguars?

DJR210
01-19-2014, 09:15 PM
:lol you just confirmed the theory. Penis compensation can be expensive lol

:lol worried about other mens penises.

Wild Cobra
01-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Yep...the one they made up to 2006. I thought the G8 was the Holden collaboration? The GTO was as well?
Yes, but as you may or may not know... GM owns Holden. They've been using the 5.6 liter LS1 and newer versions since '97 as well.

lil'mo
01-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Is it true that being so broke you have to share an apartment with family members causes you to spend your time on the internet talking about dick?

Not even close, and you've just admitted to having an underwhelmingly small weiner :lol

lil'mo
01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
And :lol thispego's obsession with people who drive sports cars. Some people actually buy them for what they are for and not to overcompensate. I still have my Maxima for the daily driver.

What's that? A waste of money. I guess I just don't have a need for speed (or to compensate for anything :lol)

lil'mo
01-19-2014, 11:41 PM

Another minuscule penis chirping his disapproval of small penis slander :lmao

FuzzyLumpkins
01-19-2014, 11:50 PM

Mitsubishi from the 90's are indeed unreliable shit buckets from my experience.

DJR210
01-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Another minuscule penis chirping his disapproval of small penis slander :lmao

Flip it however you want, you hijacked a car thread to discuss the size of dudes dicks. :lol

Biernutz
01-20-2014, 12:22 AM
This is where you should do a little research on the vette you are looking at. It could save you
a lot of heartburn and a bunch of $$. Fiberglass body's can be a pain in the butt.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/

bigzak25
01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
good luck, post a pic when you get it.

CavsSuperFan
01-20-2014, 11:17 AM
benefactor- You probably know this already…Vetts are like Harleys…Lots of guys in their 40’s get them instead of a Blonde…Then they discover that they are not very comfortable, they rattle and are difficult for older guys to get out of…Don’t limit your search to your local area…Dallas, LA & Orange County always have great deals on used Corvette’s…

BacktoBasics
01-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Well as a Corvette enthusiast and former owner I would advise against the C4. Pretty much the worst generation of the bunch. Not only that but the cost of repair is considerably more than the C3 generation.

At least with the C5 when you over pay for repairs and work you'll get your monies worth out of the car.

If you want an older Vette and want to keep it simple I highly advise the C3's. Parts are plentiful, affordable and the engines are all pre-fuel injection so almost any small block 350 part is applicable depending on what you need.

You can outfit a C3 with a new suspension sans brakes for under 4k if not in most cases under 3k.

I would look for a nice C3 that is partially restored. Something sound but needs interior or paint. Spend 12 and drop 5 on it and you got a nice eye turner for under 20k.

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2014, 12:41 PM
If you find a L82 C3 with a custom pearl white base paint with green and gold racing stripes don't buy that one. I ragged the shit out of it when it was new.

Spanklin
01-20-2014, 01:11 PM

You could beef that car up to the nuts and it'd still be a slug compared to new family cars like Infinity G37, and won't handle anywhere near as well.

If you want cheap then grab a quality ricer and turbo it.

monosylab1k
01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
What's that? A waste of money. I guess I just don't have a need for speed (or to compensate for anything :lol)

True, anytime you feel inadequate you can brag about your condo in Breck that isn't actually yours.

Spanklin
01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
BTW, that's coming from someone who built and put 50,000 on a 600 rwhp modular mustang. They're slugs that cost a shit ton to put together.

benefactor
01-20-2014, 04:52 PM
You could beef that car up to the nuts and it'd still be a slug compared to new family cars like Infinity G37, and won't handle anywhere near as well.

If you want cheap then grab a quality ricer and turbo it.
My Maxima can actually run door to door with it, but the car I'm going to get is not for all out speed anyway.

I don't really care for weed wacking 4 bangers. I'm more of a V8 guy...and as I said, the car is more for having something that both looks nice and has decent power to cruise around in on the weekends. If I don't go the Vette route I might do a Camaro/Mustang/Trans-Am in the late 90's/early 00's range.

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2014, 05:03 PM
My Maxima can actually run door to door with it, but the car I'm going to get is not for all out speed anyway.

I don't really care for weed wacking 4 bangers. I'm more of a V8 guy...and as I said, the car is more for having something that both looks nice and has decent power to cruise around in on the weekends. If I don't go the Vette route I might do a Camaro/Mustang/Trans-Am in the late 90's/early 00's range.

Can't go wrong with the camaro either and you will be able to get one significantly cheaper than a vette. Bought my wife a '96 Z-28 T-top as a play car when she wasn't hauling kids and it was nice and smooth unlike the vettes. Didn't even vibrate at 140. You could literally take your hands off the wheel.

benefactor
01-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Yeah...I've been looking around on Autotrader and there are several '02 Camaro SS's that have decent mileage that can be had for 15k or so. Might wind up going that way instead.

Big Empty
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
I dont drive cars, but if i did it would be the old school 1977 trans am

KarmaKarma
01-20-2014, 06:36 PM

small penis . i've seen and heard. :clap

KarmaKarma
01-20-2014, 06:41 PM

hahaha. i like penis talk between Men. brings me much entertainment on my day off. :toast

DJR210
01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
hahaha. i like penis talk between Men. brings me much entertainment on my day off. :toast

Even better, pm Koolaid_Man, you two can debate which men you find sexually attractive.

benefactor
01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
My uncle is a huge T/A head. Has had more of them than I can list off the top of my head. His current one is a black 1979 W72 Special Edition. Only like a thousand or so of them were made. The one I remember the most was his '73 455SD. That damn thing could just go through the gears blowing off tires.

Big Empty
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
My uncle is a huge T/A head. Has had more of them than I can list off the top of my head. His current one is a black 1979 W72 Special Edition. Only like a thousand or so of them were made. The one I remember the most was his '73 455SD. That damn thing could just go through the gears blowing off tires.

damn thats sweet. ive always loved that car

SnakeBoy
01-20-2014, 07:32 PM

Well I replaced my C5 with a new Camaro I got to say I like the Camaro a lot more. More practical, a much much more comfortable ride, and still enough pep to have a little fun...although I kind of regret not getting the SS.

KarmaKarma
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Even better, pm Koolaid_Man, you two can debate which men you find sexually attractive.

hmm. :corn:

lil'mo
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
True, anytime you feel inadequate you can brag about your condo in Breck that isn't actually yours.

Jealous! :lol

When have I ever bragged about it? I'm in your head bro :lmao

monosylab1k
01-20-2014, 08:18 PM
When have I ever bragged about it?

:lmao

AaronY
01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Excellent debate

CuckingFunt
01-20-2014, 09:30 PM

He gets real bitchy if you bring up Stringer Bell, though. Be warned.

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2014, 09:47 PM
He gets real bitchy if you bring up Stringer Bell, though. Be warned.

lil'mo
01-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Yep. In your jealous head :lol

The Reckoning
01-20-2014, 10:47 PM
i never got no invite to no condo. i thought we were cool, mo?

Wild Cobra
01-21-2014, 12:52 AM

I loved my 1977...

Spanklin
01-21-2014, 01:13 AM

All I gotta say is if ya go the other route then choose wisely. Ford sipped Koolaid sangria's in the early 90's. Chevo wasn't much better, but you got dat nine fo' LT. 90' LT took shits on Ford.

spurraider21
01-21-2014, 02:50 AM
ugh, c4 is the worst of the vette's imo

lil'mo
01-21-2014, 06:58 AM
i never got no invite to no condo. i thought we were cool, mo?

You been too busy trailblazing in Australia and Europe you d-bag , thanks for that invite by tha way :smchode::smchode:

benefactor
01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
I know most people don't care for the design, but I guess they are my favorite design because there's some nostalgia involved. They were the model during my teenage years and I always saw them as a bit of a dream car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqYggG9tk5s

We will see. I've read what some other Vette people they have said if I was going to go for one then go for either the '95 or '96 as both of those had most of the kinks ironed out from previous years.

benefactor
01-22-2014, 12:48 PM
That info came from my friend that is a Corvette freak. He has a 2011 carbon edition. I knew he would have a solid take for ya. I sent him your reply but nothing back yet. Just trying to help out bro.
Thanks. I did a little checking around and the LT4 came in the '96.

I'm thinking it will be between that and a '01-'02 Camaro SS. After I get a chance to drive both I will make a decision.

benefactor
02-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Have a guy I know that has a 2000 WS6 Trans Am for sale. Went and looked at it today. Great looking car and fast as hell. He wants too much for his, but this will be the target vehicle(LS1 years...98-02) when I find one at the right price.

spurraider21
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Have a guy I know that has a 2000 WS6 Trans Am for sale. Went and looked at it today. Great looking car and fast as hell. He wants too much for his, but this will be the target vehicle(LS1 years...98-02) when I find one at the right price.
my old man had a 2001 Trans Am in pewter. that that thing was nice. t-top is sorta gimmicky but cool

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Good luck paying less that $10k for one in average shape. There are less of them around than than buyers, so unless you're lucky, the price will be steep.

I love my '02 WS6.

No...

It's not for sale, unless you want to give me $20k.

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 09:37 PM
my old man had a 2001 Trans Am in pewter. that that thing was nice. t-top is sorta gimmicky but cool
I don't consider the T-Top gimmicky. You can open it up and fly down the round, and it's not all windy like a convertible.

spurraider21
02-20-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't consider the T-Top gimmicky. You can open it up and fly down the round, and it's not all windy like a convertible.
its sort of a hassle to get them on and off, at least moreso than a convertible top.

benefactor
Good lock paying less that $10k for one in average shape. There are less of them around than than buyers, so unless you're lucky, the price will be steep.

I love my '02 WS6.

No...

It's not for sale, unless you want to give me $20k.
Yeah...I'm not under the illusion that I'll find a decent one at that price. Will probably look to spend around 12-13. I'm betting if I can find a good one listed for around 15 I'll be able to talk them down if I show up with a check in hand.

Wild Cobra
Thanks. I did a little checking around and the LT4 came in the '96.

I'm thinking it will be between that and a '01-'02 Camaro SS. After I get a chance to drive both I will make a decision.
The 97+ Corvette and 98+ F-body V-8's are superior to the previous V8 GM uses.

benefactor
02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
I've actually always liked the T-tops. They kind of define those vehicles.

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
its sort of a hassle to get them on and off, at least moreso than a convertible top.
Maybe the older ones, but the fourth generation are a piece of cake. Only takes a minute for both.

benefactor
02-20-2014, 09:44 PM
The 97+ Corvette and 98+ F-body V-8's are superior to the previous V8 GM uses.
Yep. I'll go LS1 without a doubt. They are easy to get power out of as well for not a lot of money according to the research I've done. Bolt ons alone can get you close to 400hp without changing the rear end or breaking the bank.

FkLA
02-20-2014, 09:53 PM
T-tops are badass tbh.

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Yep. I'll go LS1 without a doubt. They are easy to get power out of as well for not a lot of money according to the research I've done. Bolt ons alone can get you close to 400hp without changing the rear end or breaking the bank.

What do you mean? my understanding is just reprogram the chip for over 400 HP, though it will not be emission compliant. Mine has 340HP stock. My previous 2000 Z28 had 305 stock.

I've seen articles of people getting 1200HP out of these engines with dual turbos.

benefactor
02-20-2014, 11:11 PM
A cam swap, heads, pulleys, rods and a set of long tube headers can all be ordered online and done in your driveway if you are handy with a wrench...and will only set you back around 3k. I've seen cars online that only had that done and were pushing 400.

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 11:22 PM
A cam swap, heads, pulleys, rods and a set of long tube headers can all be ordered online and done in your driveway if you are handy with a wrench...and will only set you back around 3k. I've seen cars online that only had that done and were pushing 400.
You can skip the cam I bet, go with the true duel exhaust and headers, and reprogram the computer and pull over 450 I bet.

It sounds like you are talking about the previous 350, rather than the 346.

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 11:34 PM
FYI, the classic small block has a 4" bore and 3.48" stroke for 350 CI. It uses a 5.7" rod. The Newer aluminum block has a 99mm (3.9") bore and 92mm (3.6") stroke for 346 CI and uses a 6.2" rod. The intake design and fuel injection point alone make for some serious power with almost no help but removing the emission constraints.

benefactor
02-20-2014, 11:44 PM
You can skip the cam I bet, go with the true duel exhaust and headers, and reprogram the computer and pull over 450 I bet.

It sounds like you are talking about the previous 350, rather than the 346.
Perhaps...either way, those LS1's are easy to get extra HP out of without resorting to forced induction.

Wild Cobra
02-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Perhaps...either way, those LS1's are easy to get extra HP out of without resorting to forced induction.
Absolutely.

benefactor
07-09-2015, 08:11 PM
So I've put the Trans Am on hold for now...because I just couldn't wait to get back in a muscle car. Traded in the Maxima for a '13 Challenger R/T. V8...six speed...custom striping...20 inch Ridler wheels with staggered tires. I love it. It actually rides really nice for a sports car. Thought the suspension would be stiffer. Starting that engine is always the best part of my day.

http://i.imgur.com/WmW7S0Q.jpg

DJR210
07-09-2015, 08:23 PM
"Does this ah car have poosy magnet?"

Nice ride.

sonnytris
07-09-2015, 08:51 PM
They quit making real corvettes in 1967 after that they were copies of the real "wrap your ass in fiberglass crowd"

benefactor
07-09-2015, 09:45 PM
"Does this ah car have poosy magnet?"

Nice ride.
My favorites are the minivan dads....they look at me like "what the fuck am I doing with my life?"