PDA

View Full Version : Game 41 Grades: Spurs vs. Bucks, 110-82

Bruno
01-20-2014, 09:21 AM
In a night where the focus was on Seattle, Spurs played against the disastrous Bucks. The game was close for about 8 minutes before Spurs made a 15-0 run. In the next 3 quarters, Spurs quietly cruise to get an easy win. With Parker, Green, Splitter and Bonner out, this game was the occasion to see some the end of the bench players.

http://i41.tinypic.com/f0drhf.jpg

Kawhi Leonard: B+
It was a quiet game from Leonard. Aside of a nice transition drive where he showed his smooth ball-handling, there isn't much to say.

Tim Duncan: B
The game started with a scare from Duncan when he limped and started to touch his bad knee. Luckily, it was likely just his brace that wasn't well adjusted. Tim showed a nice defensive presence in that game.

Boris Diaw: C+
For a couple of weeks, we are seeing more and more Boris 1.0 (the passive version). Against Bucks, he showed little aggressiveness offensively. He was that point forward that doesn't look for his shot or put the ball on the floor. Now the question is: Is he coasting or regressing back to his old self?
The game against Portland might hint it's just coasting. Like Parker, he has had a busy summer and taking it easy in these game might be a good idea for him.
Defensively, Boris did a fine job against the ghost of Ilyasova.

Marco Belinelli: B
In a game where he faced his predecessor in Gary Neal, it again appeared why Spurs went with Marco instead or re-signing Neal. Belinelli is just much more versatile with a true playmaking ability.

Cory Joseph: B-
Joseph wasn't bad but it's clear why he is behind Mills in the rotation and that is should remain that way. Joseph offensive skills are too limited. He hasn't a strength, like ball handling, driving passing or shooting, which he could really rely on to build his offensive game around it.
Defensively, Joseph was far from being a stopper in that game with Knight taking the best of him several times.

Patrick Mills: A+
A great game from Mills. He has always been a very good scorer/shooter but he is getting more and more comfortable in his decision making. His shot selection was sounded and he is making very little mistake. Defensively, he was very active which resulted in 3 well deserved steals.

Manu Ginobili: B
In his first play, Manu went for a wild drive that ended in a turnover. After it, it was like he said to himself that it was only the Bucks and it wasn't worth trying. He went in coasting mode, using his passing and knowledge of the game to still have a significant impact on the game.

Jeff Ayres: A+
Ayres is quietly finding his niche with Spurs. He doesn't need to a lot: run the floor, be available/mobile offensively and be at the right place defensively while being physical. When he did that, Ayres is a great fit with the second unit that is filled with playmaker and willing passers. Ayres even hit a midrange shot. If he can make them regularly, he might become an useful player for Spurs.

Aron Baynes: A
Baynes had a good game. It's still surprising to see a player with his build showing some true basketball moves. He isn't just a big and strong guy.

Nando De Colo: A-
After a couple of difficult minutes, Nando played a good game for his first minutes outside garbage time of the season. He didn't hesitate to shoot the ball and did it relatively well. Everything wasn't perfect offensively and his defense was nothing special but you had to be satisfied to see a player coming from the doghouse able to have that kind of game.

Malcolm Thomas: B
This game confirmed what has happened lately for Thomas in D-League: he has lost confidence on his jumpshot. He started the D-League season with a 16/27 from behind the arc that has been followed by a 4/19. Chip must really work with him to try to make it reliable. If Chip can stabilized it, Spurs might have something in their hand because Thomas is a nice athlete, an active defender and a very good rebounder.

Tony Parker: F
Once again, Parker didn't pass the ball to Manu or Kawhi. He was also invisible on the defensive end.

Coach Pop: B
it's the kind of game where you had the feeling that even with Melissa or the Coyote on the court, Spurs could have won by double digits. Pop did a fine job a t limiting minutes even, if you want to nitpick, he played Duncan a little too much.

The Milwaukee Bucks: F
When you look at their roster and the associated salaries, Bucks are the worst managed team in the NBA. I have no clue what their GM is trying to do. It's mind blowing.

look_at_g_shred
01-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks Bruno! Really hope Pop doesn't stray away from Thomas. I know that there is probably a 0.1% chance he plays Wednesday, even if it's a blowout.

ajballer4
01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Poor Bucks. They'll end up with Jabari or Wiggins only to lose them a few years later cause Milwaukee

Captivus
01-20-2014, 10:04 AM
When you look at their roster and the associated salaries, Bucks are the worst managed team in the NBA. I have no clue what their GM is trying to do. It's mind blowing.

I dont think the roster is THAT bad. The problem that I see is that the players just dont EXPLODE.
Sanders had a very good season last year, where he was blocking every ball.
Henson had also great games.
Now they have Giannis also.
Brandon is a great player.
IMO, they have good players, but not a good team.

Is Ayres better than Sanders or Henson?
Is Thomas better than Giannis?
Are Cojo and Mills better than Brandon?

I know Im comparing bench with "starters" but...still...I like the players, just not the team.

Hope this makes sense...

Dex
01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Once again, Parker didn't pass the ball to Manu or Kawhi. He was also invisible on the defensive end.

:lol

Thanks for the writeup!

Gary Neal 1-8, 2 points :rolleyes

silverblackfan
01-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks Bruno. Once again raising the bar on this site. Tony could have raised his grade a little if Pop had given him more court time.

spursfaninla
01-20-2014, 11:51 AM
you should have given splitter and green f's too. French self-hater.

Mikeanaro
01-20-2014, 01:01 PM
It was a good game, but wednesday will be much more interesting.

TheGoldStandard
01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Great writeup, everyone played as they should have and seeing Malcolm Thomas out there was nice though we may not see him again for a considerable amount of time.

wildchild
01-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks Bruno!!!

Shame on you Parker!!

To Tony :toast who received his second European Player of the Year award before Bucks-Spurs game
http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2014/01/20/Varie/Foto%20Varie%20-%20Trattate/182414022_%20Bucks_Spurs_EvansCE054--473x264.JPG?v=20140120163921

http://i.imgur.com/D6AEYJ5.jpg

ace3g
01-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks Bruno!!!

Shame on you Parker!!

To Tony :toast who received his second European Player of the Year award before Bucks-Spurs game
http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2014/01/20/Varie/Foto%20Varie%20-%20Trattate/182414022_%20Bucks_Spurs_EvansCE054--473x264.JPG?v=20140120163921

http://i.imgur.com/D6AEYJ5.jpg

By the way that Anthony Parker statue isn't Tony Parker

http://www.euroleague.net/resourceserver/12293/a80d1475-f44a-4f94-ba9d-16c1583b9b76/9c2/rglang/en-US/filename/a80.jpg

wildchild
01-20-2014, 01:59 PM

I dont think the roster is THAT bad.

When Kohl and Hammond said they don't want to tank this season, I don't believe a word if it. Then Bucks signed O.J.Mayo, Pachulia, Neal, Delfino, and it seemed like an effort to improve the team.
Something is so wrong with them -bad coaching? chemistry? injuries? off season bad moves?- because if the Bucks don't tank intentionally, they should be decent enough with their roster in the weak Eastern Conference.

TheGoldStandard
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
When Kohl and Hammond said they don't want to tank this season, I don't believe a word if it. Then Bucks signed O.J.Mayo, Pachulia, Neal, Delfino, and it seemed like an effort to improve the team.
Something is so wrong with them -bad coaching? chemistry? injuries? off season bad moves?- because if the Bucks don't tank intentionally, they should be decent enough with their roster in the weak Eastern Conference.

Chemistry sucks, and there players combined suck

ElNono
01-20-2014, 02:11 PM
:tu thanks Bruno

wildchild
01-20-2014, 02:11 PM
By the way that Anthony Parker statue isn't Tony Parker

C'mon frenchies! Tony deserves get his own statue!!!!

(Sorry, just slight irony)

wildbill2u
01-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Unfortunate that Leonard seems willing to cruise to his modest average ppg while letting Ayers pass him by. Are we looking at a second generation clone of Boris Diaw? Boris2B?

I believe we could get some value from him in a trade for a high lottery pick. He's seems to have hit a ceiling because of his passive personality.

ABC
01-20-2014, 04:30 PM
^ For wildchild

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/6491/3885/1600/Tony_Parker02.jpg

wildchild
01-20-2014, 05:19 PM
^ For wildchild

Touché :tu

ABC
01-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Touché :tu

First sports star enshrined at the French house of wax :)

Brazil
01-20-2014, 07:34 PM
:tu thanks Bruno

Dat patty mills thread, made me cry :cry

Juggity
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Unfortunate that Leonard seems willing to cruise to his modest average ppg while letting Ayers pass him by. Are we looking at a second generation clone of Boris Diaw? Boris2B?

I believe we could get some value from him in a trade for a high lottery pick. He's seems to have hit a ceiling because of his passive personality.

Wait, what? :lmao

Did you just suggest we trade KL for a draft pick? The dude who put up 19 and 16 in game 7 of the NBA finals?

I'm hoping you just forgot the blue font tbh.

ElNono
01-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Dat patty mills thread, made me cry :cry

caught em... :fishing

ElNono
01-21-2014, 12:19 AM
^ For wildchild

Which one is the statue, tbh?

ace3g
01-21-2014, 12:27 AM
^ For wildchild

Speaking of that photo, those jerseys would be a great concept for our UN team. Each player would have their countries' colors down the side.

Mugen
01-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Which one is the statue, tbh?

spurs10
01-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Thank you Bruno! Speaking of Melissa and the Coyote, they both were there in high spirits. The Coyotes backward 3/4 ojf the court shot was the best of the night. I'm fairly certain the refs didn't count it! Merci beaucoup!

Brazil
01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
caught em... :fishing

:lol it's like fishing with dynamite

elbamba
01-21-2014, 10:34 AM

Probably his worst game of the year.

eric365
01-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Probably his worst game of the year.

Or his best. No turnover, no defensive mistake, no missed field game.

spurs10
01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Tony has gone full on limelight mode. Dresses up real dapper, has his picture taken, and then never passes the ball to anyone. He does indeed deserve a flunking grade!!

spurs10
01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Or his best. No turnover, no defensive mistake, no missed field game. Well....you're right about the turnovers..:wakeup

Diego20
01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Well....you're right about the turnovers..:wakeup

He's right about the other things too..