PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Embiid strongly considering not entering the draft?

Juggity
01-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Link (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10320046/kansas-joel-embiid-come-nowhere-become-perhaps-nation-best-freshman)

Embiid has been researching big men lately. Not the way he used to, back when he was trying to learn the game and used tapes of Hakeem Olajuwon as video tutorials. No, he's been looking at the game's best and surveying their college tenures:Olajuwon, three years; Tim Duncan, four; Shaquille O'Neal, two.

"I was curious because I want to be great, I want to be the best at my position one day," he said. "I'm trying to learn everything and what other people did. All of the great big men went to college at least two or three years. I think it's a big factor. I don't know if it will always work, but I think it's the best choice."

The lure of NBA money will probably have no effect on Embiid. His father is a rich Cameroonian military officer.

Seems like he's more than willing to stay in college and develop his game for another year or so.

djohn2oo8
01-21-2014, 12:08 PM
:lmao Fredo

Spur-Addict
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Smart

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
LOL whoever is tanking

djohn2oo8
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
LOL whoever is tanking
:lol Lakers

Baam
01-21-2014, 12:21 PM
All of a sudden the 2015 draft could have an argument over the 2014 draft with Okafor and Embiid...

eric365
01-21-2014, 12:23 PM
All of the great big men went to college at least two or three years.
:lol Dwight

Clipper Nation
01-21-2014, 12:24 PM
:lmao Fredo
:lol He saw Fredo's Lakers creeping down the standings and decided to stay in school....

Jabari Parker is also thinking about staying, btw :lmao

djohn2oo8
01-21-2014, 12:34 PM
:lol He saw Fredo's Lakers creeping down the standings and decided to stay in school....

Jabari Parker is also thinking about staying, btw :lmao
CROFL

RD2191
01-21-2014, 12:50 PM
LOL whoever is tanking
:lmao

ambchang
01-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Not true, Dwight didn't even go to college, and he was great .... until he left Orlando.

Then there's Oden.

Regardless, smart move for the kid. He knows he's not yet ready, and would require a good college coach to develop his inside game. It's best for his overall career and basketball fans everywhere if he decides to stay in school.

daslicer
01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
I was watching him the other day and notice how fluid he moves for a 7fter and thought wow if this guy would stay a year or two longer and develop his fundamentals he could be special. I guess he feels the same way about his development.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-21-2014, 01:54 PM
This is what all those faggot owners get for literally trying to tank.

Hopefully Wiggins and Randle follow those footsteps.

Katherine Robinson
01-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Good, he needs more time to develop and put on muscle so he can handle NBA bigs.

FYM
01-21-2014, 02:32 PM
:lol, tbh

Rogue
01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
guy's decision will turn out to save Cleveland or Milwaukee their first pick imho. Whoever has the #1 pick yet chooses someone not named Wiggins would be stupid as fuck, while some teams' obsession with bigs often lead them to make such stupid choices imho (Bogut over CP3 and D-will, Anthony Bennett over anyone :lol)

DMC
01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Stupid. If your stock is up, better go now. You can finish school any time. If you blow out a knee in college, your career is over.

Rogue
01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
^ it only makes sense to those professional athletes though, or kid stars like our goddess. Meanwhile for the vast majority of college students, extensive time spent in school would only mean extra good to their future careers (speaking from your own personal experience) imho.

baseline bum
01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Stupid. If your stock is up, better go now. You can finish school any time. If you blow out a knee in college, your career is over.

This. Get that guaranteed money while being developed to play in the league that matters. If the kid is any good why not develop his game against much better players rather than being the big fish in the small pond?

RsxPiimp
01-21-2014, 10:15 PM

Basically.

Seventyniner
01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
This. Get that guaranteed money while being developed to play in the league that matters. If the kid is any good why not develop his game against much better players rather than being the big fish in the small pond?

Except that if he really doesn't need the money (maybe his father is really rich like $100M+), it doesn't matter that much. He could just as easily blow his knee out and lose his career in the NBA. Sure, he would have that guaranteed rookie contract but for some really rich people, a few extra million isn't all that much. Marginal value of money and all that.

Now if his family was anything less that really rich I agree, take the money.

racm
01-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Duncan was raw in his freshman season right? I think staying for year two could help him, but we'll see... all them one-and-dones said they'd stay after all

DMC
01-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Whether or not he stays, if there's no desire to get paid, why not just play at the fucking YMCA?

JohnnyMax
01-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Next years Kansas team is loaded. They have 5 guys projected in the 2015 NBA draft. 2 of them top 3 picks and another a lottery pick. Add Embiid and you have 3 of the top 5 picks on Kansas. :wow

http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft (http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft)

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/821994679.gif

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/196juuv9dfrppgif/ku-medium.gif

RsxPiimp
01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Next years Kansas team is loaded. They have 5 guys projected in the 2015 NBA draft. 2 of them top 3 picks and another a lottery pick. Add Embiid and you have 3 of the top 5 pick on Kansas. :wow

http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft (http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft)

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/821994679.gif

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/196juuv9dfrppgif/ku-medium.gif
:lol

baseline bum
01-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Except that if he really doesn't need the money (maybe his father is really rich like $100M+), it doesn't matter that much. He could just as easily blow his knee out and lose his career in the NBA. Sure, he would have that guaranteed rookie contract but for some really rich people, a few extra million isn't all that much. Marginal value of money and all that.

Now if his family was anything less that really rich I agree, take the money.

His father is an officer in their military, and probably has a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle, but I don't know where this talk about his family being rich comes from. But yeah, Embiid would be a moron to forego millions of dollars all for the chance to play weaker competition. In the absolute worst case as a #1 pick he still walks away with $6 million or so after taxes if he blows out his knee in his first NBA game. But should he pan out into a star he gets to that $15 million a year contract one year earlier, thus greatly increasing his career earnings.

AchillesHeel
01-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Wiggins and Parker should stay in college, too :lol, that will teach them tankers.

01-22-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't see why more players don't stay all four years tbh sure you could blow your knee put, but you'll be waay more polished and prepared for the NBA after four years of collegiate coaching. Look at Duncan (or lillard for more recent example). Plus, you have a degree if things don't work out.

Rogue
01-22-2014, 01:07 AM
His father is an officer in their military, and probably has a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle, but I don't know where this talk about his family being rich comes from. But yeah, Embiid would be a moron to forego millions of dollars all for the chance to play weaker competition. In the absolute worst case as a #1 pick he still walks away with $6 million or so after taxes if he blows out his knee in his first NBA game. But should he pan out into a star he gets to that $15 million a year contract one year earlier, thus greatly increasing his career earnings.
Maybe "an officer in the Cameroonian military" is just a humble alternative appellation to "war lord"?

daslicer
01-22-2014, 02:34 AM
I don't see why more players don't stay all four years tbh sure you could blow your knee put, but you'll be waay more polished and prepared for the NBA after four years of collegiate coaching. Look at Duncan (or lillard for more recent example). Plus, you have a degree if things don't work out.

Most degrees don't mean shit anymore unless they are in accounting/finance, engineering,medical field. I doubt most of these guys will get degrees in those fields so that point is mute.

DMC
01-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Have you ever seen "He Got Game"? Most of these guys have a whole projects full of needy mouths to feed, uncles to pay, dads in prison.. They need money now. They don't need no education.. for what? I mean, the only reason to polish the game is to become NBA material. Hell, if you're in the draft lottery, you're NBA material. You're going to get paid. That degree in radio and television can wait.

01-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Have you ever seen "He Got Game"? Most of these guys have a whole projects full of needy mouths to feed, uncles to pay, dads in prison.. They need money now. They don't need no education.. for what? I mean, the only reason to polish the game is to become NBA material. Hell, if you're in the draft lottery, you're NBA material. You're going to get paid. That degree in radio and television can wait.
lol

01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Most degrees don't mean shit anymore unless they are in accounting/finance, engineering,medical field. I doubt most of these guys will get degrees in those fields so that point is mute.

Mute? Moot*

true, but I'd feel safer with a degree, especially if it's free, than to be without it. Not every player gets to be an ESPN "analyst" when their career is over. A guy that goes to my Church played in the NFL and tore his ACL or something. He wasn't able to play again, but he had a degree that helped him get a job(forgot his exact profession but it's not a gym teacher so he must have majored in something useful)

DMC
01-22-2014, 02:55 PM
I'd take a million dollars over any degree any day. Make that several million and it's no contest. I can always pay for college with that much money, but I cannot make that much money with just a college degree.

The whole point of "get your degree now" is because it's a free ride with the scholarship. So what? That's what, a hundred K or a little more? That's like the local supermarket endorsement check.

POPownsJackson
01-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Smart choice