PDA

View Full Version : Manu called and did what?

tsb2000
08-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Don't know if it's true, but I can't buy Manu complaining about anyone defending him, because nobody can- tsb :spin

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0802suns0802.html)

Moves should keep JJ-less Suns in mix

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

Joe Johnson is a marvelously versatile young talent who raised his game to a level that easily commanded a market value of $69.6 million over five years.

The future of the Suns was undeniably bright with him as part of the team's core. But the idea of Johnson's return proved to be a piecrust promise - easily made, easily broken.

Phoenix Managing Partner Robert Sarver's decision to execute a sign-and-trade deal today with Atlanta for guard Boris Diaw, two lottery-protected first-round picks and a trade exception does not make the Suns a better team.

No matter whom you blame - Johnson for wanting out, or Sarver for letting him out - losing Johnson carries a sting that won't go away quickly. But the Suns' summer moves could yet allow the team to maintain its elite status by signing a shooting guard such as Michael Finley or Derek Anderson :lmao, high-profile candidates for amnesty-rule waivers later this month.

Phoenix was able to push defending champion San Antonio during the Western Conference finals, leading in the fourth quarter of the first two games without Johnson.

The June trade of Quentin Richardson for post veteran Kurt Thomas was made to fortify rebounding and front-line defense, particularly against Tim Duncan. Thomas' threat as a shooter should allow Amaré Stoudemire the needed space to operate. Stoudemire handled the Spurs' Tim Duncan on the offensive end for a 37-point average in the conference finals.

This week's expected free-agent signing of Raja Bell was not negotiated on the first day of contact last month as an emergency plan for a Johnson departure. Bell was supposed to supplement Johnson and deepen the bench.

However, Bell is a better option to guard Manu Ginobili, who repeatedly torched Phoenix defenders, including Johnson. The San Antonio Express-News reported that Ginobili called agent Herb Rudoy, who is also Bell's agent, after the Suns nabbed Bell to complain that Rudoy gave the Suns the defender he least likes to play against.

It is possible that Bell is an upgrade over Richardson, who did not score in Phoenix's Game 5 loss to San Antonio. Bell is quicker, defends better and could prove to be a more accurate shooter (Bell shot 40 percent from three-point range last season to Richardson's 36 percent).

There is also the Steve Nash factor and how the reigning Most Valuable Player makes the game easier for teammates with his tremendous playmaking, creativity and court vision. Johnson went from a 30.5 percent three-point shooter in the 2003-04 season to a 47.8 percent three-point shooter with Nash as a teammate.

Although he disappeared after a 31-point Game 2 in the Phoenix-Dallas playoff series, the 10-year veteran Finley is coming off his best two seasons in terms of three-point accuracy.

Phoenix still has a backup point guard issue to resolve, hoping that Diaw and Leandro Barbosa can raise their games.

The Suns could address that or any other midseason hole with the trade exception they received in the Johnson deal.

Phoenix could acquire a player who is less than or equal to the value of the trade exception, which may be worth about $5 million or about $10 million.

Ultimately, despite losing Johnson, the Suns have options to build upon an extremely successful 2004-05 season.

xcoriate
08-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Already been posted. I dismissed it as bs for the record :)

spurschick
08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
I could see someone joking with their agent about something like that, but nothing more.

batman2883
08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Manu will burn anyone they put on him, its what he does, Manu is the man

picnroll
08-02-2005, 09:25 AM
In the Utah game Bell played Manu extremely physically, threw a couple of nasty shots, one of which he got a flagrant on. Pop was yelling at the refs about Bell's play. Maybe Manu just doesn't like getting beat on by Bell.

batman2883
08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
If Manu were to come across god, god would be cut.....j/k, lol thats from Kill bill, Manu would have shaken Jordan.

Joesteds
08-02-2005, 10:05 AM
If Manu were to come across god, god would be cut.....j/k, lol thats from Kill bill, Manu would have shaken Jordan.
Ok whoa you are taking it too far Batman. Manu is a very good player on the verge of being possibly a great player, but don't even mention Jordan in with him even if its just to shake him. I know you probably have wet dreams about Manu but keep it in your bedroom and not on here.

batman2883
08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Ok whoa you are taking it too far Batman. Manu is a very good player on the verge of being possibly a great player, but don't even mention Jordan in with him even if its just to shake him. I know you probably have wet dreams about Manu but keep it in your bedroom and not on here.

They arent just dreams, its a reality, I never said he was better than Jordan, i'm just saying i dont think Jordan could guard him. Just as Iverson once did, Manu would have shaken Jordan too.

Joesteds
08-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Wow I dont think so. Yes AI shook Jordan once... who else did??? AI has quickness and handles. Manu can get by almost anyone in the league but he plays such an off balance awkward style that its difficult to guard. As for shaking Jordan, I am going with no way. Jordan was an unbelievable defender, and I never said above that you stated that he was better than Jordan.

nkdlunch
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
repost. already dismissed as a bad joke by a bad writer.

batman2883
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Wow I dont think so. Yes AI shook Jordan once... who else did??? AI has quickness and handles. Manu can get by almost anyone in the league but he plays such an off balance awkward style that its difficult to guard. As for shaking Jordan, I am going with no way. Jordan was an unbelievable defender, and I never said above that you stated that he was better than Jordan.

I'm sorry but the way Manu plays Jordan never had to see first hand, no matter how great of a defender Jordan was, he wouldnt have been able to hold Manu. Manu's style along with his left handed play, would have left Jordan questioning, "what the heck was that".

spur219
08-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't think their is a player in the league that can guard Manu. Not even Bowen himself I think

batman2883
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't think their is a player in the league that can guard Manu. Not even Bowen himself I think

Thank you, its the truth too, i bet Bowen practices against Manu all the time just so he can step up his d the best way possible

TMTTRIO
08-02-2005, 11:44 AM
I thought it was the Phoenix newspaper that started the "talk around town" about Manu talking to his agent. I couldn't imagine him really saying it seriously unless he was just joking around with his agent.

I would love to see a match between those guys. I've heard Manu say that Bruce was a pest with his defense and I heard Bruce say that he was hard to guard and stop. That would be fun to watch.

timvp
08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I'd bet it's true. Bell is a dirty defender and has already had a couple cheap shots on Manu in his career. IIRC, Manu missed some games after a contest against the Jazz when Bell fouled him hard multiple times.

picnroll
08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030705.8D.BKNspurs.ginobili.112c57429.html)

Ginobili and Bell waged a spirited battle throughout the game. Bell eventually fouled out when he gave Ginobili a hard shove with 9.7 seconds left. It was Bell's second hard foul on Ginobili. He was called for a flagrant foul late in the first half when he grabbed Ginobili's left arm and spun him into the crowd as Ginobili drove to the basket. The play riled the partisan crowd but also resulted in two foul shots and retention of the ball for the Spurs.

Ginobili didn't get angry. He got even, turning the foul into a four-point mistake by hitting a reverse layin, off a slick pass from Duncan, after making both free throws.

"We know that Utah is a tough team, very aggressive," Ginobili said, diplomatically, of Bell's flagrant foul.

Bell disagreed strenuously with the foul called on him on Ginobili's pull-up jumper with 30.5 seconds left. Asked afterward if he had fouled Ginobili, he turned coy.

"There's not a lot that I can say to you tonight that will allow me to keep my money in my pocket," Bell said, aware the league fines players for negative comments about officiating, "so I won't elaborate on that."

ObiwanGinobili
08-02-2005, 12:26 PM

:tu
damn straight.

this goes to show that you never know who is listening to what ever stupid little thing you say... and you never know how it'll be construed.

Spurologist
08-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Manu will own bell in 06. Bank it.

picnroll
08-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Manu would be effective but he'd come out of a playoff series against Bell battered and bruised.

Spurologist
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Manu would be effective but he'd come out of a playoff series against Bell battered and bruised.

Who doesn't? Well maybe against Dallas. :lol

nacho estrada
08-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Bell is a decent defender but a hack job describes him better.

Nikos
08-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Didn't Ginobili have 32pts on like 14 shots against the Jazz the time where Bell gave him those hard fouls? I'm sure he would be annoyed by him, but genuinely scared?

drivanroca
08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030705.8D.BKNspurs.ginobili.112c57429.html)
Ginobili didn't get angry. He got even, turning the foul into a four-point mistake by hitting a reverse layin, off a slick pass from Duncan, after making both free throws.

"We know that Utah is a tough team, very aggressive," Ginobili said, diplomatically, of Bell's flagrant foul.

MANU=BASKETBALL IQ :elephant :spin

Nikos
08-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Change that, Manu had 31-8-7 on 11 shots.

TheTruth
08-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Holy schnikes batman, I agree.

SpursFanDan
08-03-2005, 12:53 AM
You have to be quick to stop or even try and contain Manu, Or really physical. Bell tried to get into Ginobilis head, which was somewhat effective.

If ginobili works on driving to the right as well as he drives to the left,its all over...and that my friends, is not far off.

SpursFanDan
08-03-2005, 12:54 AM

Talk about efficient.

timvp
08-03-2005, 01:09 AM

True but Manu got beat up and missed five of the next six games.

Banks91
08-03-2005, 01:41 AM
WOAW , hold up here, where is all this manu cant be stopped talk comin from?

yall some serious manu homers if u think Gino is unguardable. I mean if he was, y is

duncan our first option instead of manu??

SpursFanDan
08-03-2005, 02:24 AM
True timvp.

One on One, he burns everyone.

orhe
08-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Team D me thinks (i don't know bout artest) is the only way to beat manu (and he is smart enough to draw the attention and pass it to someone else)

batman2883
08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Whoa remember who Pop gave the ball to when all the games were on the line in the final seconds of each game.....what happened, Manu would win the game either by penetrating and scoring or penetrating and dishing off to an open player to score...Manu cant be guarded one on one, heck he cant be guarded 2 on one......we all remember the entire lakers team being posterized.