PDA

View Full Version : Finley to the Knicks

Joesteds
08-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Just read this on another site and it is in the Dallas Morning News, which I am not registered to read online, but Isiah is offering Penny Hardaway and Tim Thomas to the Mavs for Finley. Penny is in the last year of his contract and so is Thomas and they match up to Finley's. Isiah is the worst GM ever if he makes this deal.

picnroll
08-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Why don't they just make the Knicks an NBDL team so they have a shot at the playoffs.

So I guess KVH is toast.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-02-2005, 09:33 AM
What the hell is Isiah Thomas thinking? Even with the guidance of Larry Brown this team is not going to be a title contender this year. Let Penny and Tim Thomas play out there contracts and open up some cap room for next year. Instead they want to pick up the worst contract in the league next to Allan Houston's?

How does Isiah still have a damn job?!?!

50 cent
08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
No way!!! Isiah is a stupid mf'er, but he can't be that stupid, can he????

2pac
08-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Has anyone offered him Beno for every Knicks first round pick for the next 50 years? Beno has tremendous upside.

picnroll
08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
If true though all Spurs fans should send Isiah a thank you card. What better team for Finley to go to. Certainly better than Houston, Phoewnix, Miami or Denver.

batman2883
08-02-2005, 09:50 AM
It's all probably just a bunch of mumbo jumbo i tell you

50 cent
08-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Here is the only thing in the DMN that even mentions Finley....no mention the Knicks (but I don't doubt that Isiah is stupid enough to consider it):

Nelson: Finley drawing interest

Trade remains possible as shooting guards are in short supply

04:01 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 2, 2005

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks could wait until the Aug. 15 deadline to decide what to do with Michael Finley.

Maybe they won't have to, as NBA teams begin making trades and signing free agents at 11 a.m. today.

"There's been lots of interest in that situation in just the last few days," Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said of Finley.

Asked about the number of teams interested in a possible Finley trade, Nelson said: "Less than 30 and more than one."

Why would teams be interested in Finley and the $51 million remaining on his contract? After all, he might be available for much less if the Mavericks waive him Aug. 15 to save on luxury tax.

For one thing, there's supply and demand. The top shooting guards (Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson) are off the board.

"At this point, we're continuing to get phone calls, and I think that will be a trend," Nelson said.

Also on the Mavericks' to-do list:

• Find a backup center for Erick Dampier. The Mavericks are among the teams pursuing Phoenix free agent Steven Hunter, according to Hunter's agent, Mark Bartelstein.

• Sign free-agent forward Josh Powell, who averaged 11.2 points and 9.8 rebounds for the Mavericks in the Las Vegas Summer League.

spurschick
08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
If true though all Spurs fans should send Isiah a thank you card..

:lol Or some of his own popcorn!
http://www.daleandthomaspopcorn.com

Walton Buys Off Me
08-02-2005, 09:57 AM
So let me get this straight- a player whose contract is universally regarded as ridiculous and is going to be bought out, the New York Knicks are actually trying to trade for?

Then again, this is the guy that not only took Malik Rose's contract but also sent us back Nazr Mohammed so anything's possible I guess.

Notorious H.O.P.
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
He is actually supposed to be offering Hardaway OR Thomas. The salaries for both players meet the salary requirements for this trade.

Cuban should be on Isiah's doorstep trying to close this one. As a business decision, he pretty much has to release Finley. But he doesn't want him signing with a Western Conference team, much less a championship contender.

Sense
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Penny's been dead, it's pretty much Tim for Finley, personally I think it's stupid, since Tim's been doing an awesome job....

But that's Thomas, then again it'd be pretty interesting to see if it would work for both teams.

Joesteds
08-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Here is the only thing in the DMN that even mentions Finley....no mention the Knicks (but I don't doubt that Isiah is stupid enough to consider it):

Nelson: Finley drawing interest

Trade remains possible as shooting guards are in short supply

04:01 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 2, 2005

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks could wait until the Aug. 15 deadline to decide what to do with Michael Finley.

Maybe they won't have to, as NBA teams begin making trades and signing free agents at 11 a.m. today.

"There's been lots of interest in that situation in just the last few days," Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said of Finley.

Asked about the number of teams interested in a possible Finley trade, Nelson said: "Less than 30 and more than one."

Why would teams be interested in Finley and the $51 million remaining on his contract? After all, he might be available for much less if the Mavericks waive him Aug. 15 to save on luxury tax.

For one thing, there's supply and demand. The top shooting guards (Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson) are off the board.

"At this point, we're continuing to get phone calls, and I think that will be a trend," Nelson said.

Also on the Mavericks' to-do list:

• Find a backup center for Erick Dampier. The Mavericks are among the teams pursuing Phoenix free agent Steven Hunter, according to Hunter's agent, Mark Bartelstein.

• Sign free-agent forward Josh Powell, who averaged 11.2 points and 9.8 rebounds for the Mavericks in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Yeah sorry it was in yesterday's August 1st DMN that Isiah is interested in the idea for a trade to get Finley. So see if you can pull up the archives of yesterday.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Is there a deal Isiah would not do?

Seriously, if I was a GM, to pass time in these boring months I'd just call up Isiah for a good laugh. 'Hey Isiah, I'd like to offer you Rasho Nestrerovic and all I'm asking for is three lottery protected first round picks and 75 million in cash- deal'?

greywheel
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
From July 31st --DMN-- registration required (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/080105dnspomavslede.7fe4595.html)

Mavs probably won't find their man

10:15 PM CDT on Sunday, July 31, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Engagements will turn into marriages Tuesday when the NBA's moratorium on player movement ends at 11 a.m. and free agents can make good on their promises to join new teams or return to original ones.

Question: What will be waiting at the altar for the Mavericks?

A frenzy of signatures will hit the dotted line as soon as the rules allow. But the local market will be filled with something less than perfect-10 acquisitions. In fact, free agency probably isn't the Mavericks' No. 1 priority.

That would be the Michael Finley situation. While deciding on how to use their $5 million salary cap exception is important, the top issue is whether they will waive Finley under terms of the amnesty provision of the newly minted collective bargaining agreement, or whether they will trade him for players with expiring contracts.

Either way, Finley will be a former Maverick by Aug. 15, the deadline to exercise the amnesty clause.

Trade possibilities exist, but the returns would be marginal. New York appears to have legitimate interest as Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown begin remaking the Knicks. It's possible they would explore swapping Anfernee Hardaway or Tim Thomas for Finley.

Hardaway ($15.75 million) and Thomas ($13.975 million) have contracts that expire this season and both would match Finley's salary this season ($15.938 million) in trade scenarios.

Orlando and Indiana, rumored as potential trade destinations for Finley, are believed to be out of the running.

As for the second priority, the Mavericks hope to use their $5 million salary slot. But it won't be easy, considering what is left on the free-agent market.

The Mavericks have maintained since their summer began that their best chance to improve is from within. Given the way the free-agent buffet has been picked over, that seems truer than ever.

"We have one bullet to use," said president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson. "We want to make sure that we use it wisely, perhaps on more than one player."

The exception can be broken up into as many pieces as the team wants. Many teams have used their exception already. Houston will sign Stromile Swift with its exception, and Phoenix will use all of its exception on Raja Bell.

Ideally, the Mavericks hope to break up their exception and use it on two players.

Their most pressing needs are at the swing positions (small forward and shooting guard), where Finley's departure will leave a void, and backup center, although the Mavericks are happy with the improvements this summer of second-year project D.J. Mbenga.

Steven Hunter of Phoenix could be a possibility if the Mavericks sign a big man. Among swingmen, they would be looking at players such as Ronald "Flip" Murray or Jason Kapono.

They also need a third point guard, but Marquis Daniels' play this summer, plus the possibility of Darrell Armstrong returning, makes that less of an issue.

The Western Conference – tough already with San Antonio and Phoenix clearly a notch above the Mavericks – will get tougher. Phoenix traded for New York's Kurt Thomas and will pick up Bell. The Spurs have agreed to hold onto their primary free agent, Robert Horry, and added Fabricio Oberto.

E-mail [email protected]

Joesteds
08-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks greywheel

WalterBenitez
08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Spurs could offer Scola, Isaiah won't have any problem with Scola's buy out!!!

:lmao

Mark in Austin
08-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Enev without Penny AND Thomas, the Knicks will still pay the luxury tax next year.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Do you even have to be an NBA team to try to make a deal with Zeke? Because if there's any truth to this offer I'm going to call him up and see if I can trade him a box of rocks for a draft pick. I won't be able to pay my draft pick anything when I select him so I'd then trade his rights to someone for cash. Meanwhile the box of rocks will probably give Jerome James a run for his money at the starting center spot.

waly.mg
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Isiah is trying to trade Finley for Allan Houston

GoSpurs21
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Question is can the Mavs trade Fin for Penny and then use the Amnesty clause to release Penny?

waly.mg
08-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I think no, because the clause is for players signed before 21th June

greywheel
08-02-2005, 11:32 AM
But if the Mavs can trade Finley they can use the Amnesty clause to relieve another contract like Shawn Bradley's. He is retiring but his contract still counts against them.

Kori Ellis
08-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Thomas also said the Knicks would not make a trade with Dallas for Michael Finley, who is owed $51 million by the Mavericks and also is expected to be waived by Aug. 15 under the one-time amnesty program. Reports in Dallas said the Knicks and Mavericks were discussing a deal, which Thomas said was untrue.

Samr
08-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I wonder if Thomas would entertain a Karaulov/Marbury trade.

Money316
08-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Has anyone offered him Beno for every Knicks first round pick for the next 50 years? Beno has tremendous upside.

Come on 2pac, there is a limit to Isiah's stupidity. Maybe 30-40 years max.
:lol :lol :lol