PDA

View Full Version : FYI, those "oill life calculators" on the new cars are a freaking joke...

CosmicCowboy
01-23-2014, 08:12 AM
The one on my truck acts like it's so precisely engineered that it can tell me "you have 47% of oil life left". Sounds really scientific, right? Only problem is there is nothing in the engine in the way of sensors to measure oil quality. It's just a calculation of hours, temperature, rpm,s etc and they are finding out that the calculation is flawed. My oil (that the manufacturer recommends) is already breaking down at 50%. People are trusting the idiot calculator however and going 6500-10,000 miles between oil changes and eventually blowing their engines. I have a friend that owns a large independent mechanic shop and his engine rebuilds are up 400% since 2010 almost exclusively from people trusting that "oil life calculator" in their vehicles. I'm sure someone will go online and find an article that says you can trust them and I'm wrong. To that I say, fine. Keep going 8000 miles between oil changes. It's your money.

And yeah, I know there aren't two l's in oil. Typo.

jag
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
I know we're talking about different types of vehicles (and oil) but for newer models, BMW basically tells you an oil change is only needed every 15,000 miles. It's synthetic, but I still don't see that as ideal.

lebomb
01-23-2014, 08:21 AM
The one on my truck acts like it's so precisely engineered that it can tell me "you have 47% of oil life left". Sounds really scientific, right? Only problem is there is nothing in the engine in the way of sensors to measure oil quality. It's just a calculation of hours, temperature, rpm,s etc and they are finding out that the calculation is flawed. My oil (that the manufacturer recommends) is already breaking down at 50%. People are trusting the idiot calculator however and going 6500-10,000 miles between oil changes and eventually blowing their engines. I have a friend that owns a large independent mechanic shop and his engine rebuilds are up 400% since 2010 almost exclusively from people trusting that "oil life calculator" in their vehicles. I'm sure someone will go online and find an article that says you can trust them and I'm wrong. To that I say, fine. Keep going 8000 miles between oil changes. It's your money.

I use synthetic in my truck, and I still change it every 5K miles.

Chomag
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Same, I do every 5k. Makes it simple for me to remember on the ODO.

Drachen
01-23-2014, 08:30 AM
It is correct, in a way, but I wouldn't trust it because you're never going to get any work out of that 47%. meanwhile that 53%will continue to work until it gets fed up at the 47%just sitting at the bottom of the tank and then the whole engine blows up.

CosmicCowboy
01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
I know we're talking about different types of vehicles (and oil) but for newer models, BMW basically tells you an oil change is only needed every 15,000 miles. It's synthetic, but I still don't see that as ideal.

Yeah, that's synthetic. Still, I probably wouldn't push it past 10K. BTW, those oil life calculators just assume you are using oil and don't know if you switch to synthetic.

Koolaid_Man
01-23-2014, 08:59 AM

^ Sounds like you live the "Classic Redneck Life"....but you do realize there's a huge difference between precise and accuracy right? If not let me explain...you can shoot the arrow in the outer ranges 8 out of 8 times but accuracy is actually hitting the bulls eye. When you buy redneck vehicles your precision will typically be in the outer ranges...:lol Precise but not accurate :hator adequate for that matter...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/redneck-custom-truck_zps9ae720d6.jpg

CosmicCowboy
01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm loving that ignore button. I'm sure whatever Kool posted was personal, insulting, and bum fucking stupid but now I don't have to see it...:)

IronMexican
01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Toyota tells me to change it every 5k and it's also Synthetic. I'd feel way too scared to wait for 10k or anything above det. f

Sportcamper
01-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Sportcamper
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Rogue
01-23-2014, 08:06 PM
just change your oil every 5k kilometers and don't ever use no other brand outside Shell and Total.

Das Texan
01-23-2014, 10:17 PM
my corolla simply goes off every 5k miles, so thats basically what i go by.

the oil life shit is retarded, wife's car has that, and im like wtf?

Twisted_Dawg
01-25-2014, 08:34 AM
CC,
Aren't those "oil life calculators" based wholly on mileage? I'm not sure what the default mileage baseline is. When I get my oil changed sometimes the techs will reset, and sometimes they don't and 3 months later the oil message displays. I use a 5W-30 synthetic and usually change around 5000 maybe stretching to 7500 in milder weather.

The manufacturer requires I use Mobile 5W-30 Synthetic which I use so as not to have any warranty issues of engine failure on the manufacturers 100,000 mile engine warranty.

Anyway, I would never trust some sensor to tell me when to change oil, and I would never ever go past 10.000 between changes on expensive synthetic. 7500 should be max for anyone. Particularly in our summer heat.

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Chevys (that I know of for sure) are based on a calculation. They monitor engine hours, temperature, RPM, etc. and then "calculate" when you should change your oil. Might be as much as 10,000 miles between oil changes on regular oil. Lots of people that are trusting them are blowing their engines.

Rogue
01-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Agree with paycheck signer, a new barrel of oil ain't worth risking blowing your car's engine imho.

DMC
01-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Have you ever sent your oil in to get it analyzed? That's what people do who are really in to engine protection, sub-micron filtration and synthetics and shit (avoid Amsoil like the plague).

Big Empty
01-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Same, I do every 5k. Makes it simple for me to remember on the ODO.
lol you and I are on the same page i do exactly the same

spurraider21
01-26-2014, 10:24 PM
my 08 civic has that calculator but i change my oil based on my miles, not the fucking calculator