PDA

View Full Version : they put in Bonner, OKC blew the game open.

poop
01-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Pop put in bonner towards the latter part of the game. Our front court was bonner and ayers. Up till that point the game was back and forth. Seeing bonner go in, esp with ayers together, I said 'watch okc gonna score every time down now.' Sure enough, okc blows the game open.

Its not rocket science, every time bonner goes in the game since 2009, the other team goes on a run, or the guy hes supposed to defend goes off. Every damn time. Predictable as the sun rise. Ill never understand this whole bonner thing. We will NEVER win when hes in the rotation, yet they keep signing him and pop loves to play him.

bklynspursfan
01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
If i remember correctly, it was either tied or we were down 2 when Pop called a timeout to bring back Duncan/TP in the 4th. When that happened, OKC went up 6. That's also cause Durant came back in but it was still close with the lineup that had CoJo/Bonner/Ayres etc...

SpursRock20
01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Don't worry, he won't get any minutes in the playoffs even if he is still on the team.

poop
01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Oh he will be. Pop will NEVER trade him. He has been a liability since 08-09 and since then it has been painfully clear he is worthless, and we always hope he gets moved...but it never, ever happens.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2014, 10:39 AM
He's a great post defender. Look at his plus/minus.

bklynspursfan
01-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Oh he will be. Pop will NEVER trade him. He has been a liability since 08-09 and since then it has been painfully clear he is worthless, and we always hope he gets moved...but it never, ever happens.

Did you happen to watch him last year against Memphis or the Lakers in last year's playoffs?

Spur Bank
01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Pop put in bonner towards the latter part of the game. Our front court was bonner and ayers. Up till that point the game was back and forth. Seeing bonner go in, esp with ayers together, I said 'watch okc gonna score every time down now.' Sure enough, okc blows the game open.

Its not rocket science, every time bonner goes in the game since 2009, the other team goes on a run, or the guy hes supposed to defend goes off. Every damn time. Predictable as the sun rise. Ill never understand this whole bonner thing. We will NEVER win when hes in the rotation, yet they keep signing him and pop loves to play him.
Its not rocket science, every time bonner goes in the game since 2009, the other team goes on a run,

This is not true. Not only is it not true "every time," it's not even true half of the time. The Spurs have historically gone ahead more often when Matt Bonner enters the game. Like Obstructed_View said, this can be seen very easily by comparing his individual plus-minus numbers to those on the rest of the team.

...or the guy hes supposed to defend goes off. Every damn time. Predictable as the sun rise.

This is a much more interesting question. I suspect this is true if you remove the "every damn time" piece, but irrelevant. We definitely know the Spurs have been better as a team, but that bump has typically been all on the offensive end. Some years the Spurs defensive numbers as a team have actually been slightly better with Bonner on the floor, and some years they have been worse. Overall, it's been close to zero effect, but a slight negative.

But, you're arguing that Bonner's man alone goes off. That could very well be true, and while I don't care how that one man does (I care how the entire opposing team does), it's still worth looking at.

My suspicion is it's not that bad. Bonner's defense seems to mostly lack in one very specific area: Isolation plays. Fortunately, if there's one type of play that we'd rather give up over and over, it's isos to Matt Bonner. If the matchup is such that Bonner will be forced to play a lot of individual defense against a very good iso player, Pop makes sure Bonner doesn't see the floor. But otherwise, if the matchup is Bonner playing iso defense on a mediocre big, and we're giving up that play vs. giving up a possession with ball movement and efficiency to the other team, by all means, let them iso away against Bonner. That still works in our favor.

Mikeanaro
01-23-2014, 12:08 PM
No one on the league respects Matt Bonner as a player.

poop
01-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Lmfao, are you clowns serious?? I dont care what the 'plus minus' crap says, I WATCH THE GAMES...anyone saying the spurs get stronger and pull ahead when bonner goes in the game are delusional and have zero credibility.

He is an always will be a huge liability every time hes on the floor.

Spur Bank
01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Lmfao, are you clowns serious?? I dont care what the 'plus minus' crap says, I WATCH THE GAMES....
Watch this..

LeBron is bad, I don't care what stats say, I WATCH THE GAMES.

The Lamborghini Veneno is a slow car, I don't care what the 0-60 time is, I WATCH THE GAMES.

The Republic of Congo is swimming in wealth, I don't care what their GDP per capita is, I WATCH THE GAMES.

Strong logic you're using.

sammy
01-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Bonner sucks! Watching him pass up shots and run down the lane only to brick! WTF!

xmas1997
01-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Time to tank for a better draft pick IMHO.

poop
01-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Watch this..

The Lamborghini Veneno is a slow car, I don't care what the 0-60 time is, I WATCH THE GAMES.

The Republic of Congo is swimming in wealth, I don't care what their GDP per capita is, I WATCH THE GAMES.

Not quite the same comparing bonner to lebron:rolleyes

By 'watching the games' one would conclude that LeBron is an mvp and bonner is a liability on the floor

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Watch this..

You cannot be serious...

jimbo
01-23-2014, 03:59 PM
:pop: actually got away with playing that awful lineup with Cojo/Belli on Durant...

The Thunder didn't pull away till after KD hit that 3 near the end of the game.

BacktoBasics
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM
No one on the league respects Matt Bonner as a player.Of course this a completely biased and unfounded statement rooted in stupidity. I don't care what the reason is but this guy has managed to last in a league where the turnover rate as at an all time high. I'm not in love with his game, much like the rest of us but he's a solid role model and doing exactly what is asked of him for his paycheck.

jeebus
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM
He's a great post defender. Look at his plus/minus.
oh god..:lol people are starting to use that stat as an excuse to defend Errors.

Biernutz
01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Another Bonner Hate thread.......
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/Gifffs1234/3.gif

Spur Bank
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Not quite the same comparing bonner to lebron:rolleyes

By 'watching the games' one would conclude that LeBron is an mvp and bonner is a liability on the floor

You cannot be serious...
What I did is called disproof by counterexample. I used the same logical construct in poop's post, but replaced the variables with absurd ideas to demonstrate that the logical construct used in poop's original post is false.

More info here: http://www.personal.kent.edu/~rmuhamma/Philosophy/Logic/ProofTheory/DisproofByCounterexample.htm

ChumpDumper
01-23-2014, 05:26 PM
lol spurfan

james evans
01-23-2014, 05:43 PM
why popovich does the shit he does, noone will ever know. durant is getting locked down, so he basically takes ginobli off of him and puts bellineli on him. why does he continue to throw games?

Spur Bank
01-23-2014, 06:02 PM
why popovich does the shit he does, noone will ever know. durant is getting locked down, so he basically takes ginobli off of him and puts bellineli on him. why does he continue to throw games?
What's even crazier is that Pop is paid ~$6 million and runs one of the most successful professional sports franchises in the country, even though james evans could so obviously be doing a much better job.