PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Paul George or Kevin Durant

whitemamba
01-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Who would you rather build your franchise around?

HI-FI
01-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Durant. I think he's more unique and special than George imo. Plus you can create refineries and job opportunities from his skin.

Clipper Nation
01-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Paul George, tbh.... dat defense....

SpurSwag
01-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Easily Durant, don't even think this should be a discussion tbh

Durant is a great defender honestly, the notion that he isn't just makes no sense. His man rarely lights him up and he's had better defensive numbers than most elite defenders this season

He's also vastly improved as a playmaker and is showing that he's pretty much unstoppable as an offensive player

I still think Lebron is better than him, but there's no doubt that Durant at 25 is better than Lebron was at 25.

Anyway, George is nice but I don't see him getting to that elite tier the way Durant has. George is a special player but doesn't seem like a guy who could carry a team like Durant can

JamStone
01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Durant even though I hate the sheer volume of free throws he gets game and in game out, particularly when they're the product of the swim through (a defender's arms) move.

Clipper Nation
01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Anyway, George is nice but I don't see him getting to that elite tier the way Durant has. George is a special player but doesn't seem like a guy who could carry a team like Durant can
To be fair, PG's only 23.... I wasn't sold at first but I think he will be The Guy soon and not need foodstamps from the league to do it, tbh....

irishock
01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
In this league, you always build around a dominant scorer. It's been proven by the KG vs Dirk as a franchise star debate.

sook
01-23-2014, 08:02 PM
wtf is this? :lol .

One guy is Beta but this is not even a discussion. Overrating the shit out of PG (and I like him..)

lefty
01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
PG

Refs don't put him on the FT line 100 times/game, and he doesn't whine like that bitch KD.
Also a better defender, and took Lebron to a game 7, unlike kevinbeta

Leetonidas
01-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Hard to pick against KD tbh dude lives at the free throw line and gets sucked off by the refs/media constantly. He's also a lanky ass nigga who, while needing help to carry a gallon of milk to his car, is a matchup nightmare at both forward positions.

PG is a great defensive player though. Too bad he will never be a truly elite offensive player like KD

sook
01-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Hard to pick against KD tbh dude lives at the free throw line and gets sucked off by the refs/media constantly. He's also a lanky ass nigga who, while needing help to carry a gallon of milk to his car, is a matchup nightmare at both forward positions.

PG is a great defensive player though. Too bad he will never be a truly elite offensive player like KD

This is why I love ST :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

8FOR!3
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Spoiler, who's team made it further last year? ;)

Clipper Nation
01-23-2014, 09:10 PM
In this league, you always build around a dominant scorer. It's been proven by the KG vs Dirk as a franchise star debate.
Except the all-around dominant Duncan was a better franchise star than both of them in his prime....

irishock
01-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Except the all-around dominant Duncan was a better franchise star than both of them in his prime....

Obviously, but Duncan was just as dominant offensively as Dirk.

timtonymanu
01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Durant.

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. George

AchillesHeel
01-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Obviously KD. More dynamic scorer and a better playmaker. George is not as developed yet so it's unfair to compare him to KD.

Thread
01-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Spoiler, who's team made it further last year? ;)

You, for about 5 minutes. tee, hee.

Rogue
01-23-2014, 11:36 PM
I think there's a difference between "taking the better player all-round" and "picking a player to build your team around" imho. You need some alpha personality from the player upon whom your team is built, and Paul George would serve that purpose better. There's a reason why the Pacers are considered the only legit challenger against Miami, imho.

RsxPiimp
01-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Love PG but it's KD. With this option, you always pick the more talented offensive player.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 12:29 AM

Where? :lmao

Most sane people agree KG > Dirk

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 12:38 AM

KG has never carried a team to a championship. Nigga pls.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 12:41 AM
KG has never carried a team to a championship. Nigga pls.

He did, against non-other than your own team. Nigga pay attention.

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
He did, against non-other than your own team. Nigga pay attention.

He wasn't impressive in 2008 NBAF honestly, he shot horribly for the first 3 games (32%). If KG showed up in game 3 (He was 6-21) Celtics could've swept the Lakers. I do acknowledge his defensive presence but, he never carried a team like Dirk did in 2011, destroying the Lakers and Heat in the same season. That was impressive.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 01:24 AM
He wasn't impressive in 2008 NBAF honestly, he shot horribly for the first 3 games (32%). If KG showed up in game 3 (He was 6-21) Celtics could've swept the Lakers. I do acknowledge his defensive presence but, he never carried a team like Dirk did in 2011, destroying the Lakers and Heat in the same season. That was impressive.

KG in '08:

-3rd in MVP voting
-Celtics leader in PPG, rebounds and blks in the regular season
-Celtics leader in PPG, rebounds and blks in the postseason
-Defensive player of the year

If you wanna keep repeating ignorant stuff like "KG didn't carry that Celtics team" go ahead and do it but don't try to sell it to people that actually know shit about this, tbh.

spurraider21
01-24-2014, 02:13 AM
Durant, and it really isn't close. Shouldn't even be a discussion.

and btw i thought the 08 finals was basically KG making Pau his bitch

Rogue
01-24-2014, 05:17 AM
even if you convince yourself to take KD over PG, the gap between them ain't really that big as some people here make it look to be, tbh.

Thread
01-24-2014, 06:05 AM
and btw i thought the 08 finals was basically KG making Pau his bitch

KG took turns with Perkins.

Thebesteva
01-24-2014, 06:22 AM
Who would you rather build your franchise around?

If Dr. Buss was alive, we'd have both by now

Thread
01-24-2014, 07:20 AM
If Dr. Buss was alive, we'd have both by now

Live or dead wouldn't make a dime's worth of difference. We didn't get undone by the old man's death. We got undone by Mark Cuban. His ambition from the start there in Dallas (after he got a look at the skyline) was to bring us to justice. It didn't happen in a year, or, a decade, (those kinda things) never do. They start in such a small fraction of a space you don't even realize it. By the time you do see the 50 foot tidal wave coming at you, it's much too late. With Cuban it was personal as well as professional. Others before him had seen it but had either been bought off by Buss, or, were happy just be to be in the NBA and were busy with (life). Not Cuban, he was incensed at the situation and vowed he'd change it. He went door-to-door thru the years, gleaned & garnered support and roused the rabble. I can't even in good conscience blame him. If I was in his position I'd be outraged as well, but, perhaps not as driven as he was. No one had been. He made it his life's quest to run Buss/us to ground.

And he did it.

Now we're waiting our turn like every other asshole in the line. It's dirty & ugly & vulgar.

ADDENDUM:::But, I got the memories. Those, those I'll take to the grave. And the "Cubans" of this mortal coil cannot take those from me, nor even touch them.

ambchang
01-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Put it this way. Switch teams and Indiana would have won it all with Durant last year and this year.

Clipper Nation
01-24-2014, 07:52 AM
KG took turns with Perkins.
MVPau got you 2 as the alphaPERIOD

irishock
01-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Messitard :lol failing to understand the point

irishock
01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
KG in '08:

-3rd in MVP voting

If you wanna keep repeating ignorant stuff like "KG didn't carry that Celtics team" go ahead and do it but don't try to sell it to people that actually know shit about this, tbh.

2 Hall of famers in their prime carrying the offense. And it's funny how as the franchise star he couldn't lead Minny to more than 2 playoff wins.

Crofl thinking carrying a stacked 62-20 team that made a game 7 in the 2nd round against the eventual Eastern Champs without KG> carrying a 2-7 team without Dirk to the NBA Championship

And here's some more facts when it comes to carrying teams to success:

Dirk: 8 reg seasons, 7 playoff years with a WS/48 higher than .200 (with his top 3 years coming from 05-07 when he had the shittiest cast of his career)
KG: 5 reg seasons, 2 playoff years with a WS/48 higher than .200

KG: missed the playoffs 3 times in his prime :lmao...

Brazil
01-24-2014, 09:18 AM
after manu > dirk now kg > dirk... dat DAF don't like dat german

UZER
01-24-2014, 09:23 AM
KD
As much as I liked the kid, his parades to the free throw line now kinda makes the game uninteresting. You're not allowed to play physical D on him and its frustrating.

With that said, people who say KD doesn't play D need to realize the guy trying to guard him expends so much energy on D, he conserves on the offensive, does very little moving, so KD isn't forced to play that hard. Its highly effective. KD should get credit for that. Now if guys were allowed to be a little more physical, it'd be a different story, but its not KDs fault

Rogue
01-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Argentinians are mostly nazi sympathizers as far as I know, no way could he dislike them Germans in general, imho.

Katherine Robinson
01-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Argentinians are mostly nazi sympathizers as far as I know, no way could he dislike them Germans in general, imho.

Ironic because Hitler would have erased the continent of those third world rats.

romsey31
01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
right now you have to go with KD, one of the greatest scorers the league has ever seen. However pg is only 23 and still improving. He has the chance to be a better player when its all said and done

DAF86
01-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Messitard :lol failing to understand the point

Isn't your point that Dirk > KG. Or is it that you always have to choose the better scorer? 'cause that's a pretty retarded point too.

2 Hall of famers in their prime carrying the offense. And it's funny how as the franchise star he couldn't lead Minny to more than 2 playoff wins.

Crofl thinking carrying a stacked 62-20 team that made a game 7 in the 2nd round against the eventual Eastern Champs without KG> carrying a 2-7 team without Dirk to the NBA Championship

Dirk: 8 reg seasons, 7 playoff years with a WS/48 higher than .200 (with his top 3 years coming from 05-07 when he had the shittiest cast of his career)

Why the fuck did he lead the Celtics in PPG in the regular season and playoffs if other two guys were carrying the offense?

Phillip
01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Durant definitely. Not even a question.

Phillip
01-24-2014, 11:34 AM

just like in your eyes, most sane people agree Manu > Dirk :lmao

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
KG in '08:

-3rd in MVP voting

He didn't carry the Celtics team, it's not even his team :lol

Dirk's 2011 performance epitomized carrying a team to a championship.

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 11:54 AM
If you want to argue that KG is the better overall player, I'll give you that, but I stick with my opinion that KG hasn't been able to carry a team like Dirk to a championship.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
just like in your eyes, most sane people agree Manu > Dirk :lmao

Sup Mr. "I'm trolling people left and right, I'm on a roll today" A.K.A "post deleter"

DAF86
01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
If you want to argue that KG is the better overall player, I'll give you that, but I stick with my opinion that KG hasn't been able to carry a team like Dirk to a championship.

He lead his team in points while being the defensive anchor, if that's not carrying a team I don't know what is.

Leetonidas
01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't think most people think it's obvious that KG > Dirk. I think it's very, very close imo I'd give Dirk the slight edge because of his unreal, legendary performance in 2011

ambchang
01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Fact check, Pierce led the Celtics in scoring in the 2007-08 regular season. Pierce also has a slightly higher OWS and slightly lower DWS. The two, based on statistics alone, are actually pretty close in terms of sharing the load. Put in Ray Allen, who wasn't that far off in OWS from PP and KG, and the load is pretty evenly spread.

Where as the 2011 Dirk led the Mavs in scoring by a significant margin (23ppg vs 15.8 in the regular season, 27.7 vs. 17.5 in the playoffs), led the team in OWS by a large margin (7.8 vs. 5.8 in RS, 3.6 vs. 2.7 in PO), and isn't that far off in defense (tied for 1st on team with 0.9 DWS in playoffs, and 3.3 vs. 3.9 in regular season, ranking 4th behind Kidd, Chandler and Marion).

DAF86
01-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Fact check, Pierce led the Celtics in scoring in the 2007-08 regular season. Pierce also has a slightly higher OWS and slightly lower DWS. The two, based on statistics alone, are actually pretty close in terms of sharing the load. Put in Ray Allen, who wasn't that far off in OWS from PP and KG, and the load is pretty evenly spread.

Where as the 2011 Dirk led the Mavs in scoring by a significant margin (23ppg vs 15.8 in the regular season, 27.7 vs. 17.5 in the playoffs), led the team in OWS by a large margin (7.8 vs. 5.8 in RS, 3.6 vs. 2.7 in PO), and isn't that far off in defense (tied for 1st on team with 0.9 DWS in playoffs, and 3.3 vs. 3.9 in regular season, ranking 4th behind Kidd, Chandler and Marion).

Yes, just re-checked. My bad.

irishock
01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Dirk's Ray Allen was Jason Terry, and his Paul Pierce was Josh Howard :lmao

DAF86
01-24-2014, 12:54 PM

lol WS/48

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_per_48_career.html

Manu > Dirk

lefty
01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
:lmao at people jumping on the Acne bandwagon

He is having a hot streak, but we'll see what he is made off in the postseason

jdiggy0424
01-24-2014, 02:10 PM
What is up with all these posts on KD. First it's "Durant is the best player in the world", then its "Paul George or Kevin Durant"

Look I get it. Durant is ballin right now. That is a fact. But stop trying to make a post that might as well be irrelevant, BECAUSE IT'S JANUARY PEOPLE.

Both players bring something valuable to the court, whether it be KD's scoring or Paul George's all around game. So its not gonna matter whom you choose because you wouldn't be making a bad choice either way.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
What is up with all these posts on KD. First it's "Durant is the best player in the world", then its "Paul George or Kevin Durant"

Look I get it. Durant is ballin right now. That is a fact. But stop trying to make a post that might as well be irrelevant, BECAUSE IT'S JANUARY PEOPLE.

Both players bring something valuable to the court, whether it be KD's scoring or Paul George's all around game. So its not gonna matter whom you choose because you wouldn't be making a bad choice either way.

Unless you pick George over Durant 'cause then you would be making a bad choice.

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
He lead his team in points while being the defensive anchor, if that's not carrying a team I don't know what is.

What is this? He didn't even win FMVP, he shot 42% in the Finals, shit, Allen had a higher scoring average than him in that series :lol

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Changmeister.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
What is this? He didn't even win FMVP, he shot 42% in the Finals, shit, Allen had a higher scoring average than him in that series :lol

So? Dirk shot 41% on the finals in '11.

Ducan didn't win finals MVP in '07. Are you telling me he didn't carry that '07 Spurs team?

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 03:00 PM
That's a different scenario bro.
-Parker got hot at the right series. You can't say the same for Pierce who has been Boston's go to guy since day one.
-Dirk's offense was still the reason why the Mavs took that series, 41% be damned.
-Look at the point differential between Dirk and the second best player on the Mavs
-KG's role was a lot more different with the Celtics, he was amazing defensively, ho-hum offensively in the finals, but Pierce and Allen's offense were responsible for finishing the Lakers.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 03:04 PM
That's a different scenario bro.
-Parker got hot at the right series. You can't say the same for Pierce who has been Boston's go to guy since day one.
-Dirk's offense was still the reason why the Mavs took that series, 41% be damned.
-Look at the point differential between Dirk and the second best player on the Mavs
-KG's role was a lot more different with the Celtics, he was amazing defensively, ho-hum offensively in the finals, but Pierce and Allen's offense were responsible for finishing the Lakers.

Then why did Garnett average more PPG during the entire playoffs?

RsxPiimp
01-24-2014, 03:11 PM
And Pierce led the team in the regular season, yes? Honestly, we'r both grasping at straws. It's a free country brother, you pick KG, I like Dirk. Not a huge gap between them, legacy wise. You can't go wrong with both. I just feel Dirk had a much more impressive run en route to his first title.

DAF86
01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
And Pierce led the team in the regular season, yes? Honestly, we'r both grasping at straws.
It's a free country brother, you pick KG, I like Dirk. Not a huge gap between them, legacy wise. You can't go wrong with both. I just feel Dirk had a much more impressive run en route to his first title.

I'm not arguing the fact that Dirk's '11 run might have been more impressive than KG's '08 championship performance. I'm arguing the fact that KG was clearly the most important player of that '08 Celtics team.

Regarding KG and Dirk I agree that they are both pretty close that's why the debate between these two always pops up but to me there's a clear (even if slim) advantage in favour of KG.

Phillip
01-24-2014, 04:26 PM
i molest pigs

cool story bro :tu

Phillip
01-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Yes, just re-checked. My bad.

Funny how the argy faggot only acknowledges one small portion of an entire post proving what a retard he is.

hater
01-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Put it this way. Switch teams and Indiana would have won it all with Durant last year and this year.

truth nuclear holocaust

Pacers with KD instead of Boy George, and they contend for best team in history

hater
01-24-2014, 04:31 PM
truth nuclear holocaust

Pacers with KD instead of Boy George, and they contend for best team in history

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/homiesradio/Boy-George-boy-george-120102_1024_7.jpg

DAF86
01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Funny how the argy faggot only acknowledges one small portion of an entire post proving what a retard he is.

You can take that other part as acknowledged with this post:

lol WS/48

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_per_48_career.html

Manu > Dirk

lol post deleter

SpurSwag
01-24-2014, 05:25 PM
To be fair, PG's only 23.... I wasn't sold at first but I think he will be The Guy soon and not need foodstamps from the league to do it, tbh....

Obviously age is in his favor and he has plenty of time to prove me wrong, but I just don't ever see him becoming a transcendent player like Lebron or durant. That isn't a knock on him at all considering Lebron and durant could both go down as top 10 all time players when all is said and done, but idk I just don't see George reaching those heights. Unless he rings a lot I think he's going to be overshadowed by lebron and Durants greatness

SpurSwag
01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
George or harden is a much better argument than George or KD.

Give me George over harden definitely but it's not as big of a gap as the one between KD and George

Rogue
01-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Ironic because Hitler would have erased the continent of those third world rats.
Too bad the German navy was just so weak compared to the US and the Royal navies they couldn't even make their way to the British Island across the strait of Dover. Their sea-wolves caused some troubles to the Allies' transports but they would never bring their troops to another continent using submarines, I guess.

Katherine Robinson
01-25-2014, 01:58 AM
Too bad the German navy was just so weak compared to the US and the Royal navies they couldn't even make their way to the British Island across the strait of Dover. Their sea-wolves caused some troubles to the Allies' transports but they would never bring their troops to another continent using submarines, I guess.

If only Hitler realized the importance of aircraft carriers earlier.

oh crap
01-25-2014, 02:08 AM
Durant. As much potential as George has, you'd be fucking crazy to go otherwise.

sexinthatsx
01-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Both Paul George and Durant have interior presences to mask their on-ball defense since the bigs can close in on the paint. But the amount of difference having Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins as your bigs compared to David West and Roy Hibbert is exponential; and it really isn't even close.

That said, today, currently... yeah I'd choose KD. But I'll probably choose PG in 2 years or so.

Jodelo
01-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm not arguing the fact that Dirk's '11 run might have been more impressive than KG's '08 championship performance.

Might? Oh well...

irishock
01-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm not arguing the fact that Dirk won a championship with a 2-7 team might have been more impressive than KG winning one with a team that went 62-20, game 7 of 2nd round without him.

DAF86
01-25-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm not arguing the fact that Dirk won a championship with a 2-7 team might have been more impressive than KG winning one with a team that went 62-20, game 7 of 2nd round without him.

Why are you trying to make it seem like the Celtics won 62 games without him? :lol

lol arguing KG's impact when the Celtics won the ship with him, lost in the 2nd round without him and fell short 1 game of ringing again with him the very next year.

irishock
01-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Did I say KG had no impact on the Celtics whatsoever?

whitemamba
02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
bump tbh, Durant playing much better on the offensive end so far, still think PG has a better chance at becoming a way better defender, but when it comes to scoring the ball, Durant has his number imo.