PDA

View Full Version : What trades / FA acquisitions do we miss out on because of cap issues?

Aremid
01-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I know you can't trade garbage for garbage but I'm wondering what percentage of opportunities we do miss out on because of salary cap/ luxury tax issues? I guess I'm curious to know how reluctant ownership is to pay for some legit talent on the team...

TXstbobcat
01-25-2014, 02:32 PM
With free agency it's more about big name free agents not showing a desire to come to San Antonio in the past regardless of cap space.

TheGoldStandard
01-25-2014, 02:46 PM
It's the system not the destination, everyone admires the coaching etc but they are not willing to lose their identity to the system and be forced to play a single role under Pop. We have a PG so who wants to come here and either play 10 minutes at back up or become a SG? All the big name SGs want the ball in there hand but will never get it consistently here so they won't come, same with SFs. The league doesnt have true centers anymore so the ones that sort of exist want the spotlight.

Guys that come here come because they are okay playing a single role and limited minutes. If you fit your niche well you will get rewarded over time and get played ungodly minutes when you don't deserve them.

Seventyniner
01-26-2014, 10:09 AM
If not for the salary cap, the Spurs could have gone after LeBron in 2010.

bluebellmaniac
01-26-2014, 10:23 AM
If not for the salary cap, the Spurs could have gone after LeBron in 2010.

Beat me to it. If not for the salary cap, we could have the entire all-star roster for our team...

exstatic
01-26-2014, 12:08 PM
I know you can't trade garbage for garbage but I'm wondering what percentage of opportunities we do miss out on because of salary cap/ luxury tax issues? I guess I'm curious to know how reluctant ownership is to pay for some legit talent on the team...
Less reluctant than OKC. They dumped Harden to not pay the tax. The Spurs have paid the tax on a few occasions.

exstatic
01-26-2014, 12:15 PM
It's the system not the destination, everyone admires the coaching etc but they are not willing to lose their identity to the system and be forced to play a single role under Pop. We have a PG so who wants to come here and either play 10 minutes at back up or become a SG? All the big name SGs want the ball in there hand but will never get it consistently here so they won't come, same with SFs. The league doesnt have true centers anymore so the ones that sort of exist want the spotlight.

Guys that come here come because they are okay playing a single role and limited minutes. If you fit your niche well you will get rewarded over time and get played ungodly minutes when you don't deserve them.

I call bullshit. FAs are molded to a role here BECAUSE they aren't top tier. If a top FA like LeBron had expressed an interest, Pop would have torn the team down and completely rebuilt it around him. He essentially already did that with Parker, our own FA.

The Spurs are on their third different team type since Pop took over. He adapts to the personnel he has.