PDA

View Full Version : Spurs prep for more adversity than usual on annual 'Rodeo Road Trip'

HI-FI
01-25-2014, 11:34 PM
From USA TODAY, it was actually the front page of the sports section which was cool to see, though its headline in the print form was "Popovich, Spurs Skip Pity Party".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/01/23/spurs-gregg-popovich-visit-miami-heat-first-time-since-finals/4804857/

:pop:
"Uh, it'll be a horrible memory walking in that gym," Popovich told USA TODAY Sports by phone on Thursday as his team headed for its Friday night game in Atlanta. "If I said anything different, I'd be the biggest liar that ever lived. How could I say, 'Yeah, no problem. Well, it was a tough night.' That's (expletive). We all know that.

:pop:
"I'm disappointed for the team, because this is a time when we always try to make hay," Popovich said. "Historically, that 'Rodeo Road Trip,' that time before, during and after the All-Star break has always been good for us. We've got a lot of away games. It's a great time to come together and get the bunker mentality, and all that trade crap. But it works for us. So this road trip, and the one right after it, you'd like to be at full strength for that because it has been important for us getting momentum for the season. So I'm disappointed for them.
"But secondly, I'm strangely excited about playing the other guys and watching them fill in. I think it steps up the energy a little bit, because your back's against the wall. You just look at it a different way. That's kind of exciting."

agree with Pop that is kind of exciting to see the team with the back against the wall because of injuries. Decent article tbh.

KaiRMD1
01-25-2014, 11:39 PM
One could also say that this is when the ol' sports really find out the truth about the team and who can do what. Should be a fun group of games it's just a shame there are so many injuries but I sincerely hope growth is shown from some of the guys who need it. Cool article ol' sport

rascal
01-25-2014, 11:40 PM
I always said the rodeo trip is a schedule advantage for the spurs and the NBA should not allow it. Either move the stupid rodeo to the offseason or have the spurs play in the Alamodome during the rodeo if the rodeo is so important.

Brutalis
01-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Since the arena was built I have often wondered why the rodeo is there and not the Alamodome...

spurs1990
01-26-2014, 12:52 AM
16-3 vs 17-7.... road games suit these guys it seems

heyheymymy
01-26-2014, 02:32 AM
this is that stretch where we find our diamond in the rough. last year green was blowing up right about now and the year before i believe it was neal. not sure who will step up this time around? ayers? mills?

spurs10
01-26-2014, 03:07 AM
I always said the rodeo trip is a schedule advantage for the spurs and the NBA should not allow it. Either move the stupid rodeo to the offseason or have the spurs play in the Alamodome during the rodeo if the rodeo is so important. How is not playing at home a schedule advantage? All teams historically consider playing at home an advantage.

rascal
01-26-2014, 09:02 AM
How is not playing at home a schedule advantage? All teams historically consider playing at home an advantage.

The team comes together on the rodeo trip and gets used to the consecutive road games, then the schedule is back loaded with many home games down the stretch with little travel during the last weeks of the season. The Spurs have a good rodeo week road record through the years that proves it is not a negative and is a springboard to a nice finish.

rascal
01-26-2014, 09:04 AM
16-3 vs 17-7.... road games suit these guys it seems

It has more to do with the level of competition and nothing to do if it was on the road or home. More telling is their record against the best teams in the league.

Brazil
01-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Is rascal a spur fan? We already know he is a whinny little bitch but as far as his team I'm confused

Mel_13
01-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Is rascal a spur fan? We already know he is a whinny little bitch but as far as his team I'm confused

His Laker fandom has been well established, and he demonstrates it in this thread. Notice how he calls for the NBA to do something about the unfair advantage supposedly gained by the Spurs from the RRT, while ignoring the similar advantage his Lakers should realize from their annual Grammy road trip. The complete collapse of the team run by the "best front office in the NBA" has led to an increase in the already high level of stupid typical in his posts.

sananspursfan21
01-26-2014, 10:01 AM
this is that stretch where we find our diamond in the rough. last year green was blowing up right about now and the year before i believe it was neal. not sure who will step up this time around? ayers? mills?

Man I hope it's ayres. I want to like him so bad

Brazil
01-26-2014, 01:22 PM
His Laker fandom has been well established, and he demonstrates it in this thread. Notice how he calls for the NBA to do something about the unfair advantage supposedly gained by the Spurs from the RRT, while ignoring the similar advantage his Lakers should realize from their annual Grammy road trip. The complete collapse of the team run by the "best front office in the NBA" has led to an increase in the already high level of stupid typical in his posts.

:lol unfair advantage for the spurs made me laugh I confess.

probably a spurs fan wishing to be a laker fan

Johnny RIngo
01-26-2014, 01:29 PM
I always said the rodeo trip is a schedule advantage for the spurs and the NBA should not allow it. Either move the stupid rodeo to the offseason or have the spurs play in the Alamodome during the rodeo if the rodeo is so important.

Dumbest thing I've read on ST in quite a while.

boutons_deux
01-26-2014, 01:46 PM

exstatic
01-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Since the arena was built I have often wondered why the rodeo is there and not the Alamodome...

Not a San Antonian, are you? Previously, the rodeo was held at the Joe and Harry Freeman Colosseum, right next to the AT&T Center. All of the stock barns are there.

xmas1997
01-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Not a San Antonian, are you? Previously, the rodeo was held at the Joe and Harry Freeman Colosseum, right next to the AT&T Center. All of the stock barns are there.

Thus it makes perfect sense. Can't believe someone would question this.