PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Design In Schools

Nbadan
08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
W's for it, even though he probably doesn't understand it because it involves that evl' Science...

WASHINGTON - President Bush waded into the debate over evolution and "intelligent design" Monday, saying schools should teach both theories on the creation and complexity of life.

In a wide-ranging question-and-answer session with a small group of reporters, Bush essentially endorsed efforts by Christian conservatives to give intelligent design equal standing with the theory of evolution in the nation's schools.

On other topics, Bush said he has no idea how Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts would vote in a case challenging the legality of abortion because he never asked him about it. He also defended Baltimore Orioles first baseman Rafael Palmeiro, who was suspended Monday for using performance-enhancing steroids.

Bush declined to state his personal views on "intelligent design," the belief that life forms are so complex that their creation can't be explained by Darwinian evolutionary theory alone, but rather points to intentional creation, presumably divine.

Real Cities (http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12278497.htm)

Meanwhile, the meany lefties are up in arms about what is being thought in these intelligent design courses...

Group says Bible course riddled with bias, errors
Producers of the curriculum taught in Texas schools charge censorship
By JIM VERTUNO
Associated Press

AUSTIN - A religious watch-dog group went on the attack Monday against a Bible study course taught in hundreds of schools in Texas and across the country, complaining it pushes students toward conservative Protestant viewpoints and violates religious freedom.

The Texas Freedom Network, which includes clergy of several faiths, said the course offered by the Greensboro, N.C.-based National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools is full of errors and dubious research that promote a fundamentalist Christian view.
(snip)

Kathy Miller, president of Texas Freedom Network, said her group looked at the course after the Odessa school board voted in April to offer a Bible class. It asked Southern Methodist University professor and biblical scholar Mark A. Chancey to review the class curriculum. Miller said Chancey was not paid for his work.

Chancey's review found the Bible is characterized as inspired by God, discussions of science are based on the claims of biblical creationists, Jesus is referred to as fulfilling Old Testament prophecy and archaeological findings are erroneously used to support claims of the Bible's historical accuracy. He said the course suggests the Bible, instead of the Constitution, be considered the nation's founding document.

(snip/...)

Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3291664)

Biblical law over secular law as a "founding" document? Once someone believes the Bible (a religious book) is the basis for the principles, values and laws of a country - instead of a secular Constitution, aren't we talking about a theocracy?

That is the definition of theocracy isn't it? (government) founded in and based upon a (specific) religion?

mookie2001
08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
yes it is

how about an inbredocracy

SWC Bonfire
08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
2nd Law of Thermodynamics. We should be a random pile of various elements and compounds at their simplest and most stable state, not the highly organized form of life that we are.

DarkReign
08-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Only in Texas....

Yeah, divinity.

I had an imaginary friend once....

Vashner
08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't agree with Dubya on this one...

spurster
08-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Intelligent design is not science. It's position is that whatever evolution/science cannot explain must be due to God. Adjust as needed as science explains more things.

mookie2001
08-02-2005, 05:18 PM
easy
adam and eve
inbreeding and more inbreeding
can yall imagine how smart adam and eve must have been?

Nbadan
08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
easy
adam and eve
inbreeding and more inbreeding
can yall imagine how smart adam and eve must have been?

You gotta remember, according to the old Testiment Adam and Eve lived for hundreds of years. Lots of time to breed and inbreed.

:hat

scott
08-02-2005, 05:47 PM
There happens to be a little diddy on this very topic at some dude's blog, which you can find here: http://redstripedshirt.blogspot.com

blaze89
08-02-2005, 09:44 PM
[Christian fundamentalists] are trying to get Creationism taught in schools as a science. Now, other than the obvious, only objection: IT'S NOT ONE ... other than that, I think that'd be a killer idea. 'Cause it would definately be the shortest class of the day.

Welcome to Creationist Science. God created the Heavens and Earth. On the seventh day He rested.

See you at the final.

We have a Bible out called ‘The New Living Bible,’ it’s the Bible in updated and modern English,” Hicks says during a film of a 1992 London performance. “I guess to make it more palatable for people to read. But it’s really weird, when you listen to it. ‘And Jesus walked on water. And Peter said, “Awesome!”’ Suddenly we got Jesus hanging ten across the Sea of Galilee. Christ’s Bogus Adventure, you know. Deuteronomy 90210, you know.”

--Bill Hicks

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Bill_Hicks_1.jpg

Extra Stout
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
2nd Law of Thermodynamics. We should be a random pile of various elements and compounds at their simplest and most stable state, not the highly organized form of life that we are.Creationists neglect the external source of energy in the system, namely the big hot glowing ball in the sky.

ChumpDumper
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm all for teaching intelligent design in schools -- maybe Art Bell can put together a curriculum about how aliens started life on earth.

SWC Bonfire
08-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Creationists neglect the external source of energy in the system, namely the big hot glowing ball in the sky.

Well, I'm certainly not a creationist (I find it amazing that in a world so dependent on the oil industry that people would actually think the world is only 10,000 years old), but if you can make the logical progression that the input of energy is solely responsible for the organization of complex life in the universe, the planet Mercury would be one highly organized & evolved MF'er. :lol

Really, the jump that long-chain polymers just happened to develop in such a way that they interacted with sunlight purely by chance is similar to that of people believing that something organized them that way. It's a pretty big stretch either way, and it's just your own personal belief.

What I find interesting is that for all of recorded history (and some that is known only from archeology), mankind has always had some sort of belief in the supernatural/religion. There probably is a reason for that, and it depends on what your personal beliefs are as to what that reason is.

Extra Stout
08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Well, I'm certainly not a creationist (I find it amazing that in a world so dependent on the oil industry that people would actually think the world is only 10,000 years old), but if you can make the logical progression that the input of energy is solely responsible for the organization of complex life in the universe, the planet Mercury would be one highly organized & evolved MF'er. :lolIt doesn't "solely explain" it, but it does make it scientifically possible.

Really, the jump that long-chain polymers just happened to develop in such a way that they interacted with sunlight purely by chance is similar to that of people believing that something organized them that way. It's a pretty big stretch either way, and it's just your own personal belief. Experimentation shows that those molecules are predisposed to self-replicate in a way that mimics life.

Now cosmology, and the remarkable fine-tuning of the properties of matter and of the forces in the universe necessary for matter even to exist, and the fine-tuning of the location, size, etc. of Earth and of its sun in order for life even to be possible, those do point to a creative force.

I don't have a problem with ID. It's not really science, but science isn't the only kind of truth. Maybe ID is more a philosophy about science.

Biblical law over secular law as a "founding" document? Once someone believes the Bible (a religious book) is the basis for the principles, values and laws of a country - instead of a secular Constitution, aren't we talking about a theocracy?Yes. Those people are the theocratic right. If it came down to it, I might invite you to stand beside me and shoot at them if they got in a position to end the Republic.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Intelligent design is not science. It's position is that whatever evolution/science cannot explain must be due to God. Adjust as needed as science explains more things.

no it is not

what intelligent design means is that the design is intelligent

the complex life we see, the self-replicating single stranded RNA that formed in the sea of random crap

all of that was due to an intelligent plan

the nucleotide code, etc

its not about labeling god as the reason for unexplained stuff
cuz if you get into 'unexplained' then nothing in science is really explained if you probe deep enough

Jekka
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
That is the definition of theocracy isn't it? (government) founded in and based upon a (specific) religion?

kakistocracy
SYLLABICATION: kak·is·toc·ra·cy
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. kak·is·toc·ra·cies
Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-03-2005, 03:58 PM
kakistocracy
SYLLABICATION: kak·is·toc·ra·cy
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. kak·is·toc·ra·cies
Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.

hey jekka, what are you Ms. Dictionary? :lol

Experimentation shows that those molecules are predisposed to self-replicate in a way that mimics life.

those experiments also show low fidelity in replication

ChumpDumper
08-03-2005, 04:01 PM
I thought kakistocracy meant everyone in the government had to wear Dockers.

Spurminator
08-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Hiyo!

travis2
08-04-2005, 06:24 AM
And God said "Let there be light"

{BIG BANG}

And there was light.

Just because someone believes the current cosmological and evolutionary theories explain the data the best does not mean that person does not believe in a God that started it all.

The supposed war between science and faith is a false one.

scott
08-04-2005, 07:39 AM

Not in the eyes of a large contingent of extremist Christians. The "battle" may be exaggerated, but it isn't imaginary.

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Not in the eyes of a large contingent of extremist Christians. The "battle" may be exaggerated, but it isn't imaginary.

Indeed.

To that group of Christians, their theology is the only acceptable one for Christianity, and their way of understanding the Bible is the only allowable one.

They've set it up where mainstream science DOES disprove their particular beliefs, so that their only choices are apostasy or anti-intellectualism.

They had this big conference a few weeks ago, where they come out and admit that if they are wrong and mainstream science is right, then Christianity is a myth, there is no moral code governing our lives, and we all ought to become hedonists. Wow, what a powerful witness to the outside world: "if you believe that the advancements of modern society aren't all one huge big coincidence, then just assume our faith is false." When Richard Dawkins hears that, I think it makes him so happy he pees a little.

You might say, wait a minute, can't they just admit maybe their human understanding of the Bible was flawed, and adjust it? Yes, I suppose they could, but that would require the leaders to demonstrate 1)humility and 2)some forfeiture of some authority and power among their parishoners.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 08:26 AM

Also known as the "vast right wing conspiracy". :rolleyes

You people are looking for a reverse witch hunt. Get over it. Creationists with torches and pitchforks aren't going to storm your house.

The only battle is the one that you perpetuate.

True. :tu

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Try reading this book:

Inventing the Flat Earth

Jeffrey Burton Russell
Greenwood Publishing

I had to read it for a history of science class at A&M. A lot of the supposed "rift" between science and religion has been created in the past few hundred years by a very small number of people.

EDIT: To any lazy engineering students out there, I highly recommend this class. :tu

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Also known as the "vast right wing conspiracy". :rolleyes

You people are looking for a reverse witch hunt. Get over it. Creationists with torches and pitchforks aren't going to storm your house.

The only battle is the one that you perpetuate.Are you claiming that creationists are not in fact trying to eliminate the teaching of mainstream science from public education, and are not in fact trying to suppress legitimate scientific research that conflicts with their narrow strain of theology? Are you kidding me?

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Try reading this book:

Inventing the Flat Earth

Jeffrey Burton Russell
Greenwood Publishing

I had to read it for a history of science class at A&M. A lot of the supposed "rift" between science and religion has been created in the past few hundred years by a very small number of people.

EDIT: To any lazy engineering students out there, I highly recommend this class. :tu"The past few hundred years." Or, in other words, the entire history of modern science???

travis2
08-04-2005, 08:55 AM

That's partially what I meant...

"Contrived"..."forced"...

Spurminator
08-04-2005, 09:00 AM
It's a two way battle. Neither side, for the most part, seems willing to accept the duality of science and Christianity. They're both too busy attacking each other or going on the defensive.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Are you claiming that creationists are not in fact trying to eliminate the teaching of mainstream science from public education, and are not in fact trying to suppress legitimate scientific research that conflicts with their narrow strain of theology? Are you kidding me?

A majority of Christians are not creationists. I don't know if you think the two terms are interchangable or not. Those that think that the concept of intelligent design (what the thread is about) counteracts the principles of science are nuts.

Examination and comparison are the basis of scrutiny. The theory of evolution has been proven in multiple instances, and is relatively sound. Creationism is nuts from a scientific standpoint. It would not stand scrutiny very long in comparison, even in a Jr. High science class. But to stand up and say that there isn't some basis of intelligent design is an opinion of yours, because you have no basis to prove it, just as I have no definative proof to say it is. Are you saying that both ideas shouldn't be scrutinized?

Swishy McJackass
08-04-2005, 09:09 AM
I can forsee the lecture on Intelligent Design:

"The Universe might have an intelligent designer. Class dismissed."

Besides, I think it pretty obvious that Intelligent Design is nothing more than a Trojan Horse for the few fundamentalist Christians in this country that are trying to get creationism to be taught right beside evolution.

Spurminator
08-04-2005, 09:10 AM
From my experience, most Christians believe that the story of Creation is figurative. I would guess that on the whole, athiests take the Bible more literally than Christians.

However, even a literal interpretation of the Creation leaves room for evolution and a trillion-years-old universe.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 09:11 AM
"The past few hundred years." Or, in other words, the entire history of modern science???

Modern science isn't without its own biases. Darwin's own cousin Galton was a crackpot who biased his experiments to found eugenics, which "proved" that people with certain facial features were criminals and other ethnicities were stupid. His findings were taken as scientific fact for hundreds of years.

But basically the book is about how the myth of the "flat earth" was created several hundred years AFTER Columbus discovered the new world. It was created as anti-Catholic propaganda, trying to show the church as authoritarian and autocratic. Pretty much all educated people of the time knew the world was round (and every sailor, ever been to sea? You can see the curvature of the earth) when in fact, a majority of educated people of the time were clergy. Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth like 2200 years ago. Who preserved a great deal of ancient knowledge in Europe? The Catholic church.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I can forsee the lecture on Intelligent Design:

"The Universe might have an intelligent designer. Class dismissed."

Besides, I think it pretty obvious that Intelligent Design is nothing more than a Trojan Horse for the few fundamentalist Christians in this country that are trying to get creationism to be taught right beside evolution.

Hasn't "complete scientific secularism" been a trojan horse for atheists trying to advance their ideology in schools?

You've been around Fundy Dave too much.

EDIT: I would enjoy that class, especially the dismissed part.

Swishy McJackass
08-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Hasn't "complete scientific secularism" been a trojan horse for atheists trying to advance their ideology in schools?

You've been around Fundy Dave too much.

EDIT: I would enjoy that class, especially the dismissed part.

I'm not sure what you mean by "complete scientific secularism?" Does that mean teaching science based on evidence, and leaving religion at church?

I never understood why he was called "Fundy" Dave.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "complete scientific secularism?" Does that mean teaching science based on evidence, and leaving religion at church?

I never understood why he was called "Fundy" Dave.

It means that some atheists would have you believe that you can't be a Christian and a scientist at the same time.

He was called Fundy Dave because he was a Christian fundamentalist. Didn't you see him jacking off to Tom Short when he came to campus?

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 09:44 AM
A majority of Christians are not creationists. I don't know if you think the two terms are interchangable or not. Those that think that the concept of intelligent design (what the thread is about) counteracts the principles of science are nuts.

Examination and comparison are the basis of scrutiny. The theory of evolution has been proven in multiple instances, and is relatively sound. Creationism is nuts from a scientific standpoint. It would not stand scrutiny very long in comparison, even in a Jr. High science class. But to stand up and say that there isn't some basis of intelligent design is an opinion of yours, because you have no basis to prove it, just as I have no definative proof to say it is. Are you saying that both ideas shouldn't be scrutinized?

1) Intelligent design and creation science are not the same thing.

2) I realize not all Christians are creationists. But then again, not all Christians are trying to get evolutionary biology kicked out of the public schools, either.

It sounded like you wanted scott to pretend that what they are doing isn't actually happening.

3) I understand that intelligent design does not contradict any scientific understanding of the physical world. However, it is not science. That doesn't mean it's false, or misleading, or bad in any way. Pretty much any person who lends credence to mainstream science and believes in God accepts "intelligent design" in a general sense.

But in order to be scientific, one would have to be able to present hypotheses about it and conduct experiments to support or disprove those hypotheses. That's not what ID is about. It's about looking over the whole landscape of scientific knowledge and making inferences. It's a commentary. It's a philosophy. It's a perfectly nice field of study.

But it's not science. When people try to present it as science, they are pushing pseudoscience, which is false and misleading. Science is not the only legitimate way to study the world. Please try to understand the difference.

Swishy McJackass
08-04-2005, 09:45 AM
It means that some atheists would have you believe that you can't be a Christian and a scientist at the same time.

I've never met such an atheist, and I've been to quite a few of the atheist student group meetings in the past year. That's not to say that there aren't atheists of that mentality, but they are few and far between... much like Christians who stick to a literal view of Genesis.

Tom Short was fun. I never saw Fundy Dave at a Short-a-thon.

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Modern science isn't without its own biases. Darwin's own cousin Galton was a crackpot who biased his experiments to found eugenics, which "proved" that people with certain facial features were criminals and other ethnicities were stupid. His findings were taken as scientific fact for hundreds of years.

But basically the book is about how the myth of the "flat earth" was created several hundred years AFTER Columbus discovered the new world. It was created as anti-Catholic propaganda, trying to show the church as authoritarian and autocratic. Pretty much all educated people of the time knew the world was round (and every sailor, ever been to sea? You can see the curvature of the earth) when in fact, a majority of educated people of the time were clergy. Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth like 2200 years ago. Who preserved a great deal of ancient knowledge in Europe? The Catholic church.If you think about it, this notion that the Church taught the "flat earth" in the Middle Ages conflicts with other generally disseminated history. Copernicus with his heliocentric theory opposed the Church, who taught the geocentric theory passed down from antiquity.

The geocentric theory assumes a spherical earth around which all the other heavenly bodies revolve. Duh. No flat earth there.

So, yes, this flat earth propaganda probably is taught to make the Church look bad. Then again, they did teach the geocentric theory, it was false, and they did punish people for opposing it.

From my understanding of history, the rift between Christianity and science didn't really emerge until the 1880's, it was originally an American phenomenon, and things like the Civil War and Reconstruction played a big role.

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I've never met such an atheist, and I've been to quite a few of the atheist student group meetings in the past year. That's not to say that there aren't atheists of that mentality, but they are few and far between... much like Christians who stick to a literal view of Genesis.

Tom Short was fun. I never saw Fundy Dave at a Short-a-thon.

Then you've never met Richard Dawkins. Fair enough. But he's quite prominent, and leads a significant group of people.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 09:54 AM
That's not to say that there aren't atheists of that mentality, but they are few and far between...

I knew a guy like that on my old rugby team, he was a biology prof. at UTA. I think that "Bring 'em Back Not Alive But Preserved in a Jar" John M. ended up working with him while working on his graduate level herpetology work, BTW.

Swishy McJackass
08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Then you've never met Richard Dawkins. Fair enough. But he's quite prominent, and leads a significant group of people.

I've read his book The Blind Watchmaker. Quite an interesting read.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
One big reason Christianity and evolution do not mix is the fact that Christianty views Humanity as the pinacle. We're supposed to be the top of the mountain. However, evolution is still ongoing. We are already markedly different from the first variations of human on this planet, and as long as we don't destroy ourselves we are going to evolve in ways no one has ever thought of.

What happens when we're no longer human?

Spurminator
08-04-2005, 10:13 AM

Maybe the world will end before that. Sort of like the Tower of Babel.

There are plenty of philosophical/theological debates to be had on Christianity vs. Evolution, but I think the main point is that *scientifically*, they are not mutually exclusive.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 10:17 AM

We'll all be damn dirty apes, that's what!

Swishy McJackass
08-04-2005, 10:23 AM

I believe at that point we will have run out of things to eat, and will turn to the few humans left to satiate our hunger for Soylent Green.

ChumpDumper
08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
What happens when we're no longer human?We'll be declared illegal combatants.

Marcus Bryant
08-04-2005, 10:39 AM
From my experience, most Christians believe that the story of Creation is figurative. I would guess that on the whole, athiests take the Bible more literally than Christians.

However, even a literal interpretation of the Creation leaves room for evolution and a trillion-years-old universe.

Indeed.

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 10:42 AM
One big reason Christianity and evolution do not mix is the fact that Christianty views Humanity as the pinacle.I thought it viewed God as the pinnacle.

We're supposed to be the top of the mountain.Well, among the animals, we are. While it's clear we are a kind of primate, it's also clear we are fundamentally different from all other animals.

However, evolution is still ongoing. We are already markedly different from the first variations of human on this planet, and as long as we don't destroy ourselves we are going to evolve in ways no one has ever thought of.

What happens when we're no longer human?Seriously, if Jesus takes so long to come back that humans will have evolved into distinctly different species, we'd have to assume God gave him wrong directions coming back down from heaven, or that he's bringing along a woman who has to pee every 15 minutes.

Besides, the biblical definition of human relates more to the ways man is made in God's image, with intellect, conscience, capacity for good, etc, than it does with our opposable thumbs.

Marcus Bryant
08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Why should the government have such a heavy hand in education? It never fails that we have some extremist group attempting to indoctrinate our children by leveraging our tax dollars. F em all.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Right right. Thats the biblical defenition NOW. Because, as we both know, evolution is not only present in life, but in the creations of life as well.

Spurminator
08-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Well, Adam did have a belly button...

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Right right. Thats the biblical defenition NOW. Because, as we both know, evolution is not only present in life, but in the creations of life as well.That was the biblical definition 1900 years ago as well.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Yes, you should disregard the bible in its entirety because portions of it are interpreted differently NOW.

You should also disregard the Constitution of the United States in its entirety, since portions of it are interpreted differently NOW.

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes, you should disregard the bible in its entirety because portions of it are interpreted differently NOW.

You should also disregard the Constitution of the United States in its entirety, since portions of it are interpreted differently NOW.The entire Old Testament is a case study in progressive revelation.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 11:53 AM

You should also disregard the Constitution of the United States in its entirety, since portions of it are interpreted differently NOW.
I don't think the Constitution has ever been said to be the word of an omnipitant unfallible being. Jefferson was a diest, not a diety.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't think the Constitution has ever been said to be the word of an omnipitant unfallible being.

Well, it gets treated that way depending on whether it is politically expedient to do so at the time.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, it gets treated that way depending on whether it is politically expedient to do so at the time.
Right. Let me know when the Vatican lets us add amendments to the bible.

SWC Bonfire
08-04-2005, 12:00 PM
How about the deliberate exclusion of various scriptures including the book of Mary Magdalene and the Apocrypha?

Sounds like two have been nominated. :lol

DrRich
08-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Right. Let me know when the Vatican lets us add amendments to the bible.

They do in a way. It's called the Catechism of the Catholic Faith.

I don't really understand what all the hullabaloo is all about. I have my belief and others have theirs. But what is sad is when parents rely on schools and the govenment to determine what should be taught to their children. What is even sadder is the parents that don't even care what is taught to their children. Whatever happened to parents asking little johnny what he learned in school today?

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Right. Let me know when the Vatican lets us add amendments to the bible.So... I'm guessing you're not a practicing Catholic, then?

Nbadan
08-04-2005, 01:19 PM
The entire Old Testament is a case study in progressive revelation.

Ummm, so is the New Testament. From the Niocine Creed, to the Trinity to ?

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
So... I'm guessing you're not a practicing Catholic, then?
No. I don't think I've been in very many Catholic churches after my confirmation.

I am someone who believes very strongly in the teachings of Jesus Christ, the man. I do not believe he was the son of god. But I think his teachigns are a fabulous guide to the way a person should live their life.

Nbadan
08-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Anyway, maybe the teaching of creationism is best left to the philosophy department of some College, University or private school rather than using scarce public education tax dollars which are probably better spent teaching proven sciences like math, biology et al.

HS students have enough problems with problem-solving and critical thinking as it is without introducing competing theories about the evolution of God, religion and evolution. On the surface, though, you have to be really concerned about the Fundies in Texas making such a blatant assault on the Separation between Church and State and so many elected State and Federal legislators, and the WH openly supporting the idea.

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Anyway, maybe the teaching of creationism is best left to the philosophy department of some College, University or private school rather than using scarce public education tax dollars which are probably better spent teaching proven sciences like math, biology et al.

HS students have enough problems with problem-solving and critical thinking as it is without introducing competing theories about the evolution of God, religion and evolution. On the surface, though, you have to be really concerned about the Fundies in Texas making such a blatant assault on the Separation between Church and State and so many elected State and Federal legislators, and the WH openly supporting the idea.I'd tend to agree, for the most part. There's probably a way to broach the question about the origins of the universe without stepping on toes, but clearly ID is being used as a Trojan horse by people who want to use the public schools for religious indoctrination, which is just as bad as using it for anti-religious indoctrination.

Marcus Bryant
08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Extremists on both sides concern me.

scott
08-04-2005, 06:40 PM
The only thing I've learned since my last post is the SWC Bonfire misinterpreted my post big time. Because I like Mr. Bonfire, I will assume the misinterpretation was a mistake in haste.

Nbadan
08-05-2005, 03:40 AM
I'd like to nominate Irving Kristol, the neoconservative former editor of The Public Interest, as the father of "intelligent design." No, he didn't play any role in developing the doctrine. But he is the father of the political strategy that lies behind the intelligent design movement - a strategy that has been used with great success by the economic right and has now been adopted by the religious right.

Back in 1978 Mr. Kristol urged corporations to make "philanthropic contributions to scholars and institutions who are likely to advocate preservation of a strong private sector." That was delicately worded, but the clear implication was that corporations that didn't like the results of academic research, however valid, should support people willing to say something more to their liking.

Mr. Kristol led by example, using The Public Interest to promote supply-side economics, a doctrine whose central claim - that tax cuts have such miraculous positive effects on the economy that they pay for themselves - has never been backed by evidence. He would later concede, or perhaps boast, that he had a "cavalier attitude toward the budget deficit."

"Political effectiveness was the priority," he wrote in 1995, "not the accounting deficiencies of government."

Krugman, NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/opinion/05krugman.html?pagewanted=print)

Nbadan
08-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Being Intelligent About Intelligent Design

On Tuesday, just a few weeks after the 80th anniversary of the famous Scopes trial, President Bush expressed his support for teaching intelligent design in public schools, saying, "both sides ought to be properly taught...so people can understand what the debate is about." In so doing, he "invigorated proponents of teaching alternatives to evolution." That's where the problem lies. While there is nothing wrong with intelligent design as an idea, it is not a scientific theory. Treating it as such for political purposes does a disservice to the nation's children.

DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN SCIENCE AND NON-SCIENCE: "American society supports and encourages a broad range of viewpoints," the American Association for the Advancement of Science correctly notes. And while this diversity unquestionably enriches students' educational experiences, it is of critical importance that our educators distinguish between information acquired through rigorous scientific methods and those founded upon belief systems. As President Bush's science advisor, John H. Marburger III, acknowledges, "intelligent design is not a scientific concept." Although its proponents often point to supposed empirically based "gaps" in the science of evolution, intelligent design theory also necessarily involves positing extra-natural (if not religious) phenomena. "Outside the precincts of the religious right, though, the scientific consensus about evolution is very close to unanimous." The National Academy of Sciences, "the nation's most prestigious scientific organization," declares evolution "one of the strongest and most useful scientific theories we have." A recent National Geographic ran a cover story asking, "Was Darwin Wrong?" and then provided the answer in the subhead: "No. The Evidence for Evolution Is Overwhelming." Evolution is, to again quote Bush science advisor John Marburger, "the cornerstone of modern biology."

SCIENCE CLASSES SHOULD TEACH SCIENCE: Commenting on President Bush's remarks, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly said, "Whatever your belief, it should be respected. But the National Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science both reject intelligent design and don't want it mentioned in science classes. That, in my opinion, is fascism." O'Reilly added: "There is no reason the students cannot be told that more than a few people, including some scientists, believe the creation of the world, no matter how it occurred, involved a higher power. ... Just state the facts, whether it be science or any other subject." This is a red herring. For one, despite the widespread confidence in evolution theory, virtually all involved in the debate believe that teachers must present a thorough, probing analysis of its scientific merits and demerits. Moreover, many believe that intelligent design could play an important role in public school curricula. Students should be and are taught about theories like intelligent design -- they learn of various belief systems in philosophy and humanities classes, and of the levels of religious belief in our society in sociology classes. (Indeed, consider the recent struggle over evolution in Dover, PA: the school board candidates who opposed the teaching of ID in science classes also strongly supported its inclusion in humanities curricula. "Paradoxically," the New York Times observed, "that may mean that if win, intelligent design would be examined more thoroughly, and critically, than under current policy," which was crafted by ID proponents.) But, contrary to O'Reilly's claim, intelligent design and similar theories should not be taught by scientists, and not in science classes.

BELIEF IN GOD AND EVOLUTION ARE NOT INCOMPATIBLE: As physics professor Lawrence Krauss observes, "One can choose to view chance selection as obvious evidence that there is no God, as Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist and uncompromising atheist, might argue, or to conclude instead that God chooses to work through natural means." In the latter case, he notes, "the overwhelming evidence that natural selection has determined the evolution of life on earth would simply imply that God is 'the cause of causes,'" as Pope Benedict XVI, when he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, stated when he presided over the church's International Theological Commission. Indeed, "when a researcher from the University of Georgia surveyed scientists' attitudes toward religion several years ago, he found their positions virtually unchanged from an identical survey in the early years of the 20th century. About 40 percent of scientists said not just that they believed in God, but in a God who communicates with people and to whom one may pray 'in expectation of receiving an answer.'"

THE CONSTITUTIONAL END-RUN: In 1987, the Supreme Court ruled in Edwards v. Aguillard that the teaching of creationism in public schools violated the First Amendment's Establishment Clause. "he doctrine seemed to be shut out of public schools once and for all," Michelle Goldberg writes for Salon.com. But now "intelligent design" -- "an updated version of creationism couched in modern biological terms" -- is giving advocates of creationism new hope that they can circumvent the high court's ruling. Proponents of "intelligent design" insist, of course, that the theory is distinct from creationism, and does not posit the existence of God. Yet the most fierce advocates of "intelligent design," led by the Seattle-based Discovery Institute (which praised Bush's remarks), clearly have a religious agenda. The institute's main financial backer, savings and loan heir Howard Ahmanson, spent 20 years on the board of the Chalcedon Foundation, "a theocratic outfit that advocates the replacement of American civil law with biblical law." A 1999 fundraising proposal that was leaked online stated, "The proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is one of the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was built"; the institute's goal, it said, was "nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its cultural legacies."

ID PROPONENTS SHOULD ADVANCE THEIR THEORY THE RIGHT WAY: If proponents of "intelligent design" wish for their theory to hold the same stature in the scientific community as evolution, there is an appropriate course of action. Like any other researchers, they should subject their critiques and theories to repeated testing and submit their findings to be reviewed by their peers. Instead, as it stands now, "church groups and other interest groups are pursuing political channels" to crowbar their views into public classrooms. Neither, moreover, should we close our eyes to the scientific merits and teach "intelligent design" simply because some fear that theories like evolution, which say precious little about how humans ought to act, will open the door to "moral relativism." ("The ultimate extension of this position," Krauss writes, "may be Representative Tom DeLay's comment that the tragedy at Columbine happened 'because our school systems teach our children that they are nothing but glorified apes who have evolutionized out of some primordial mud.'") The politicization of evolution teaching is actually harming our students by making teachers nervous about delving into the topic at all. "In districts around the country, even when evolution is in the curriculum it may not be in the classroom, according to researchers who follow the issue. ... eachers themselves avoid the topic, fearing protests from fundamentalists in their communities."

American Progress in Action (http://www.americanprogressaction.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=klLWJcP7H&b=914257&ct=1264323)

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 12:16 AM
No. I don't think I've been in very many Catholic churches after my confirmation.

I am someone who believes very strongly in the teachings of Jesus Christ, the man. I do not believe he was the son of god. But I think his teachigns are a fabulous guide to the way a person should live their life.

Well said.

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 12:20 AM
contrary to O'Reilly's claim, intelligent design and similar theories should not be taught by scientists, and not in science classes.

Bingo.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 12:32 AM

Well, he said he was the Son of God, so evidently you don't believe him.

I understand Christians, I understand atheists, I understand agnostics. This is the position everyone takes that I don't understand. You're calling him a fraud and then turning around and saying you "believe very strongly in his teachings". Which is it? If the guy's a nutcase lying about being the Son of God, why believe the rest of what he said? If the rest of his teaching was so powerful, how can you say he wasn't the Son of God? This seems to be a position held by people who don't understand what they believe.

boutons
10-03-2005, 05:55 AM
O'Reilly rousing the rabble is wonderfully honest, as rabble-raising always is:

"Just state the facts, whether it be science or any other subject"

Exactly. How can anyone be against the facts? Even dumb-shit red-state hicks can take that on board. "I love O'Reilly. He's right about THE facts."

BUT, there ARE NO FACTS, there are NO SCIENTIFICALLY TESTABLE HYPOTHESES for creationism or ID, which are just an idea espoused by a single religious cult, or actually a simplistic, anti-intellectual, anti-scientfic fringe of Christianity.

Useruser666
10-03-2005, 08:09 AM
How about we only teach theories that have a shred of evidence to back them up?

Medvedenko
10-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Once you prove God does exist...the faith based on his ideology ceases to exist. Then God is essentially dead.

Hook Dem
10-03-2005, 10:44 AM
"But I think his teachigns are a fabulous guide to the way a person should live their life."..........................................And that makes you a good person in my view

Phil E.Buster
10-03-2005, 11:29 AM
I'll be fighting to keep religion out of schools.

Yonivore
10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Intelligent Design <> religious Creationism

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, he said he was the Son of God, so evidently you don't believe him.

I understand Christians, I understand atheists, I understand agnostics. This is the position everyone takes that I don't understand. You're calling him a fraud and then turning around and saying you "believe very strongly in his teachings". Which is it? If the guy's a nutcase lying about being the Son of God, why believe the rest of what he said? If the rest of his teaching was so powerful, how can you say he wasn't the Son of God? This seems to be a position held by people who don't understand what they believe.
This is very simply explained. For some of us, its not an all or nothing situation.

GoldToe
10-03-2005, 11:45 AM
For some you are with them, or against them.

boutons
10-03-2005, 12:34 PM
"Intelligent Design <> religious Creationism"

They have the same goal: to present their beliefs as The Single, Universal Truth, to question, and to oppose the huge amount of evidence and the explanatory/predictive power of evolutionary theory.

Once ID is accepted in schools, the door will be open for RC, paganism, witchcraft, Buffy Vampirism, zoroasterism, astrology, and any other half-baked shit that those groups "believe" must be presented in schools as The Truth.

beliefs <> science

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Intelligent Design does not try to go against Evolution. It incorporates evolution.

That being said, there is no evidence for ID, and I don't see a reason it should be included in the courses based on that alone.

Useruser666
10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I believe in the Golden Rule.

SpursWoman
10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
n/m ... I read that wrong. :lol :lol

boutons
10-03-2005, 01:42 PM
"Intelligent Design does not try to go against Evolution. It incorporates evolution."

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/

"The theory of intelligent design (ID) holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than an undirected process such as natural selection. ID is thus a scientific disagreement with the core claim of evolutionary theory that the apparent design of living systems is an illusion."

that "scientific disagreement" does very much go against the theory of biological evolution.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Not really. It incorporates evolution. It says that evolution wasn't random chance, but that it was designed, but it doesn't go against it.

Its like saying if I drop the ball from here it will land here. That statment doesn't imply gravity doesn't exsist, but that the drop was planned.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 02:31 PM
intellligent design = "and God planned everything to happen this way, so there."
Exactly, but I don't know how that goes against evolution. If the current situation had been planned to play out the way it has, wouldn't evolution still have occured?

Spurminator
10-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Intelligent Design is Philosophy. If your High School has a Philosophy elective and they teach ID, so be it. It doesn't belong in Science Class any more than a study of Early Roman History belongs in Algebra.

JoeChalupa
10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
My Philosophy is that religion doesn't belong in schools but the study of religion is okay.

boutons
10-03-2005, 03:42 PM
"comparative religion", religion from various academic angles, history of world religion(s), the role of religion in world history, etc, is fine, but mostly those are mostly college subjects.

boutons
10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
'and God planned everything "

... is a belief in super-natural phenomenon, is usually a religious belief, and with attendant political stance by the believer that his God and his religion are the best, even th only, or at very least better than everybody else's.

... is not science, is not philosophy.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 04:47 PM
This is very simply explained. For some of us, its not an all or nothing situation.

But if you get to pick and choose what you want to believe out of what he said, how useful can it be? You might as well make up your own "guide". Not to mention that everything Jesus taught was derived from the idea that he was the Son of God. All of his teachings were based off that underlying principle. Besides, if the writers of the Bible lied about Jesus, maybe they made the rest of it up too.

This just seems to be a position people take to try to appease Christians without actually having to agree with them. If I didn't believe Jesus was the Son of God, I definitely wouldn't live my life by what he said. Then he'd be just another man, and thus fallible.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
But if you get to pick and choose what you want to believe out of what he said, how useful can it be? You might as well make up your own "guide". Not to mention that everything Jesus taught was derived from the idea that he was the Son of God. All of his teachings were based off that underlying principle. Besides, if the writers of the Bible lied about Jesus, maybe they made the rest of it up too.

This just seems to be a position people take to try to appease Christians without actually having to agree with them. If I didn't believe Jesus was the Son of God, I definitely wouldn't live my life by what he said. Then he'd be just another man, and thus fallible.
Does the bible have every word uttered by Jesus Christ?

If a crazy man on the street tells me that he is the son of god, but tells mis mantra which is one I believe in, does that mean I can't believe in his mantra?

Yeah, I just compared Jesus to a crazy man. :lol

exstatic
10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
If Christ were infallible, Judas never would have made the cut.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Does the bible have every word uttered by Jesus Christ?

If a crazy man on the street tells me that he is the son of god, but tells mis mantra which is one I believe in, does that mean I can't believe in his mantra?

Yeah, I just compared Jesus to a crazy man. :lol

What difference does it make if it has every word he spoke? I don't see how that relates to the discussion at hand.

If his mantra is based on being God, it's kind of strange to believe his teachings without believing him. And in your example the crazy man is articulating something you already believe in. Thus his "mantra" is simply an expression of something you already think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that you see the Bible as something that can teach you and help you understand new things. Two totally unrelated situations.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 09:02 PM

And he would never have gotten the crap kicked out of him. And he never would have died. Right? Wrong. Judas was there for a reason, Jesus knew he would be betrayed before Judas ever sold him out (the Last Supper). According to the Bible, it was all part of God's plan.

smeagol
10-03-2005, 09:05 PM
The way I see it is that Judas was part of the plan (not very fair to Judas, though).

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Intelligent Design is Philosophy. If your High School has a Philosophy elective and they teach ID, so be it. It doesn't belong in Science Class any more than a study of Early Roman History belongs in Algebra.
:tu Bingo.

Yonivore
10-03-2005, 09:23 PM
gene sequencing isn't a philosophy nor are the nano pumps and valves and engines of the cell; and, they aren't explained by natural selection or evolution. There are some fairly level-headed scientists out there that are seeing things not available to, or explained by, Darwin and they're wondering how the heck it happened. Non-theistic Intelligent Design is a working theory...not a philosophy.

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 09:26 PM
gene sequencing isn't a philosophy nor are the nano pumps and valves and engines of the cell; and, they aren't explained by natural selection or evolution. There are some fairly level-headed scientists out there that are seeing things not available to, or explained by, Darwin and they're wondering how the heck it happened. Non-theistic Intelligent Design is a working theory...not a philosophy.

:lmao

Flat earth is a "working theory" in that there is evidence of it "see the earth looks flat, so how can you say it is round?"

If all one does is look at the horizon, one might agree, but the weight of evidence points to a better theory, that the earth is more of a semi-flattened sphere.

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
If you piled up all the evidence for this "working theory" and stacked it up against the evidence that supports random evolution over billions of years, it would look like a mouse trying to topple an elephant.

The weight of evidence leads a reasonable person to conclude that the process of random evolution over billions of years has led to the current forms of life on our planet.

"Intelligent design" is yet another code-word used by people who want to shove the version of the bible they agree with down everybody elses throat. To pretend anything else is less than intellectually honest.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 09:32 PM
What difference does it make if it has every word he spoke? I don't see how that relates to the discussion at hand.
Because his teachings that are placed in there are placed at the discretion of his disciples. So you say I can't critique what he stands for when it has already been done.

If his mantra is based on being God, it's kind of strange to believe his teachings without believing him. And in your example the crazy man is articulating something you already believe in. Thus his "mantra" is simply an expression of something you already think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that you see the Bible as something that can teach you and help you understand new things. Two totally unrelated situations.
With the removal of any reference to God, Jesus' mantra becomes one of love. I can apreciate that.

Teaching the bible to understand new things? No. I find little of value in the bible.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Being a possible explanation is not the same as a working theory.

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
gene sequencing isn't a philosophy nor are the nano pumps and valves and engines of the cell... they aren't explained by natural selection or evolution.

They are quite easily explained by evolution. The best design wins. If something lead to a competitive edge, that something will be passed on.

At some point, nano pumps were an advantage over cells that didn't have them.

"But then why don't we have lungs that breathe methane, if it is all random?"

Because, quite simply, if your lungs are better suited for methane than oxygen/nitrogen, you will not live long enough to reproduce.

RandomGuy
10-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Being a possible explanation is not the same as a working theory.

Yup.

It might be possible that super-strong kung-fu hamsters who eat gasoline are responsible for moving my car when I turn the ignition key. This "theory" doesn't fit much with the observed reality of internal combustion engines.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Because his teachings that are placed in there are placed at the discretion of his disciples. So you say I can't critique what he stands for when it has already been done.

With the removal of any reference to God, Jesus' mantra becomes one of love. I can apreciate that.

Teaching the bible to understand new things? No. I find little of value in the bible.

Why make the comment that you believe in Jesus' teachings if you throw out 90% of it? Basically, you've distilled the Bible down to a few phrases about love and happiness that could've been taken from any religion. I'm pretty sure Buddhists believe in love as well.

And I still maintain that it's pointless to pick out a small percentage of something to believe in and then try to claim that you rely on those for any semblance of understanding life. Why not just write down the things you believe in, make your own bible, and not even worry about the real Bible? If you're just picking out a few sections, it's essentially the same thing.

exstatic
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
And he would never have gotten the crap kicked out of him. And he never would have died. Right? Wrong. Judas was there for a reason, Jesus knew he would be betrayed before Judas ever sold him out (the Last Supper). According to the Bible, it was all part of God's plan.

So he had the whole crystal ball thing going on, eh? I'll bet if he could have looked a thousand+ years ahead and seen the Crusades, he would have been one hell of a carpenter, and never spoken before a crowd. If he could see that coming, I have no use for him or his teachings. They would be a fraud.

exstatic
10-03-2005, 10:32 PM
And I still maintain that it's pointless to pick out a small percentage of something to believe in and then try to claim that you rely on those for any semblance of understanding life.

Been done already. See: Gospels, purging of. What you are reading is what some early Pope thought you should, editing out controversial parts.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Why make the comment that you believe in Jesus' teachings if you throw out 90% of it? Basically, you've distilled the Bible down to a few phrases about love and happiness that could've been taken from any religion. I'm pretty sure Buddhists believe in love as well.

And I still maintain that it's pointless to pick out a small percentage of something to believe in and then try to claim that you rely on those for any semblance of understanding life. Why not just write down the things you believe in, make your own bible, and not even worry about the real Bible? If you're just picking out a few sections, it's essentially the same thing.
:lol

You didn't touch the part I wanted you to and instead focused on telling me what I should say and what I shoudln't say. Ok.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 11:18 PM
:lol

You didn't touch the part I wanted you to and instead focused on telling me what I should say and what I shoudln't say. Ok.

If you want me to hear my opinion on a certain part of what you posted, it would be really helpful to stick a question mark in there somewhere. I'm not a mind reader.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 11:27 PM
So he had the whole crystal ball thing going on, eh? I'll bet if he could have looked a thousand+ years ahead and seen the Crusades, he would have been one hell of a carpenter, and never spoken before a crowd. If he could see that coming, I have no use for him or his teachings. They would be a fraud.

Why are they a fraud? Bad stuff happens. If God fixed everything bad before it happened the entire world would be perfect. Would you really want to live in a perfect world? Without bad stuff, how do you know what's good? Put it this way, would you rather everything tasted exactly the same or some stuff good and some stuff bad? And don't try to blame the Crusades on God, men have perverted religion to justify wars since time began.

Been done already. See: Gospels, purging of. What you are reading is what some early Pope thought you should, editing out controversial parts.

What you are reading is a compilation of individual books which have not been edited. They were also compiled by Catholic priests, not the Pope, and they included the books which appeared to be accurate historically. People have also looked back and added in books they missed. Granted, there are other apocryphal books out there, but they tend to contradict known historical evidence or directly conflict with the general consensus of the books that belong in the Bible.

E20
10-04-2005, 12:56 AM
gene sequencing isn't a philosophy nor are the nano pumps and valves and engines of the cell... they aren't explained by natural selection or evolution.
Science haters swear like Evolution is the only science out there.................

If you want answers to those try reading up on some Biology and maybe some Chemistry.

LittleGeneral
10-04-2005, 02:50 AM

Great post. This is so obvious that I can't believe this topic is even debated and discussed in the courts and by the president.

Unreal.

Yonivore
10-04-2005, 06:45 AM
They are quite easily explained by evolution. The best design wins. If something lead to a competitive edge, that something will be passed on.

At some point, nano pumps were an advantage over cells that didn't have them.

"But then why don't we have lungs that breathe methane, if it is all random?"

Because, quite simply, if your lungs are better suited for methane than oxygen/nitrogen, you will not live long enough to reproduce.
Where did the design originate?

ChumpDumper
10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Where did the design originate?Well, if you listen to Art Bell for a week you could gather enough theories to fill more than a few textbooks.

RandomGuy
10-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Where did the design originate?

Random variances based on previous forms, all the way back to the "primordial" soup.

Dos
10-04-2005, 11:07 PM
can something come out of nothing?

just asking..

boutons
10-04-2005, 11:14 PM
"can something come out of nothing? "

This is the 100th anniversary of AE's e = mc-squared.

energy (nothing) and matter, are interchangeable, back and forth.

there was always something starting with the Big Bang.

Vedantic cosmology says there have been 40 Big Bangs, IIRC. the oscillating universe.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Intelligent design itself must have something coming form nothing at some point unless you discount a linear philosphy of thinking and disregard any begining. Of course, by doing that you can just as easily allow for a universe that has always been without intelligent design.

jochhejaam
10-05-2005, 06:20 AM

An elective would be a good idea Spur but I believe those opposed to it being taught would argue separation of Church and State if were put into the Philosophy category.

Yonivore
10-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Intelligent design itself must have something coming form nothing at some point unless you discount a linear philosphy of thinking and disregard any begining. Of course, by doing that you can just as easily allow for a universe that has always been without intelligent design.
All theories have something coming from nothing...unless, of course, you've seen some research on the origins of matter that pre-date the Big Bang.

The point of "non-religious" intelligent design is two-fold; explaining how something came from nothing and explaining obvious informational design features such as the DNA sequence. Their premise lies in the belief that information doesn't just appear and that cogent information cannot just evolve. To suggest evolution is responsible for genetic code is akin to saying William Hung typed a bunch of ones and zeroes into a computer and Microsoft Windows emerged.

Serious ID scientists don't even consider the theological implications of intelligent design, they merely seek to explain what could cause a phenomenon that is most readily ascribed to intelligence, not cause and effect.

scott
10-05-2005, 10:38 AM
An elective would be a good idea Spur but I believe those opposed to it being taught would argue separation of Church and State if were put into the Philosophy category.

Comparitive religion and other religious based themes are already taught in Philosophy classes, and there hasn't seemed to be any trouble.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
All theories have something coming from nothing...unless, of course, you've seen some research on the origins of matter that pre-date the Big Bang.

The point of "non-religious" intelligent design is two-fold; explaining how something came from nothing and explaining obvious informational design features such as the DNA sequence. Their premise lies in the belief that information doesn't just appear and that cogent information cannot just evolve. To suggest evolution is responsible for genetic code is akin to saying William Hung typed a bunch of ones and zeroes into a computer and Microsoft Windows emerged.

Serious ID scientists don't even consider the theological implications of intelligent design, they merely seek to explain what could cause a phenomenon that is most readily ascribed to intelligence, not cause and effect.
And how far does Itelligent design go to explain how the intelligence behind it was created? To continue your analogy, if Bill Gates wrote Microsoft Windows, who created Bill Gates? Intelligent Design of Intelligent Design?

Hook Dem
10-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Why is there air??? :lol (Bill Cosby)

Yonivore
10-05-2005, 12:57 PM
And how far does Itelligent design go to explain how the intelligence behind it was created? To continue your analogy, if Bill Gates wrote Microsoft Windows, who created Bill Gates? Intelligent Design of Intelligent Design?
One step at a time...it is, after all, a theory.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
The point is that the very flaw intelligent design is intended to account for is inherent in intelligent design.

Marcus Bryant
10-05-2005, 01:46 PM
This is a prime example of how statist policies fuck everything up.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I'll agree with that.

RandomGuy
10-06-2005, 02:28 PM
"can something come out of nothing? "

This is the 100th anniversary of AE's e = mc-squared.

energy (nothing) and matter, are interchangeable, back and forth.

there was always something starting with the Big Bang.

Vedantic cosmology says there have been 40 Big Bangs, IIRC. the oscillating universe.

This oddly enough seems to loosely fit the "best guess" equations that quantum physics has come up with.

The "membrane theory" that seems to best summarize the equations (that are all waaaay over my head) goes something like this:

The universe was created by the collision of two oscillating membranes at a certain point. Matter comes about in "clumps" because of the non-uniform nature of these membranes. Imagine the surface of a swimming pool that has a lot of people in it and they are moving around, and that is about what they think based on my understanding.

All particles in the universe are based on super-tiny "strings" that oscillate at varying frequencies, giving rise to differing particles depending on this oscillation.

The universe has 11 or 26 dimensions, depending on how the equations work out. The 3 spatial dimensions we are familiar with are the largest, with the other dimensions being very very small. Imagine a plane infinitely wide and infinitely long, but only 1 millionth of an inch tall, and you get a rough idea of the "scale" of these other dimensions.

Time is incidentally one of these dimensions.

One odd outgrowth of this is that there are potentially an infinity of alternate universes, some that only are different by the placement of one atom, some that are so wierd that they don't even have matter.

That is what I understand of it and it took a month of reading to get through it. That and a really good thing on the history channel or the science channel, I can't remember which.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2005, 02:51 PM
String theory is pretty fascinating. I have a friend that is a Physics major and I've picked her brain about it several times. I need to read way more about it, but it is very technical.

RandomGuy
10-06-2005, 02:55 PM
String theory is pretty fascinating. I have a friend that is a Physics major and I've picked her brain about it several times. I need to read way more about it, but it is very technical.

Yup. I waded through some very technical crap that I didn't have a clue about, until I waded through enough to find a few explanations that were designed for non-physics types. That and the thing on TV that I can't rember the name of.

scott
10-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Just watch CSI, you will be a super-Scientist in no time.