PDA

View Full Version : Gluten-Free / Paleo Diet

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Anybody here on a Gluten Free or Paleo diet?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge, mainly to maintain a healthier life, and I hear the benefits are great too. It'll be sad to say goodbye to the beer and bread, but besides that I don't think there's too much more I'll miss. I'm just curious if anyone has a specific regimen or menu they stick to, recipes for tasty meals, or just any success stories. Thanks!

johnsmith
01-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Anybody here on a Gluten Free or Paleo diet?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge, mainly to maintain a healthier life, and I hear the benefits are great too. It'll be sad to say goodbye to the beer and bread, but besides that I don't think there's too much more I'll miss. I'm just curious if anyone has a specific regimen or menu they stick to, recipes for tasty meals, or just any success stories. Thanks!

The wife and I started it a few weeks ago...after about a week, I had never felt better in my entire life. We've cheated a couple times but for the most part, it's pretty easy after you get the hang of it. It certainly is more expensive and involves more trips to the grocery store because everything has to be fresh, but other than that it's no big deal.

Also, Coconut oil turned out to be really fucking good.

johnsmith
01-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Also, get the "nom nom paleo" app. It's a five dollar app but there are a lot of good recipes an it sort of teaches you how to go about cooking paleo.

And go to whole foods and buy some "ghee". You'll thank me later.

xmas1997
01-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Never thought about this, but may give it a try.
What's the best site to find out about it?

johnsmith
01-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Never thought about this, but may give it a try.
What's the best site to find out about it?

Just google it. There is a ton of info an books out there on it. It's very worth it IMO and makes sense when you think about it.

It's also pretty easy to stick too.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 12:50 PM
The wife and I started it a few weeks ago...after about a week, I had never felt better in my entire life. We've cheated a couple times but for the most part, it's pretty easy after you get the hang of it. It certainly is more expensive and involves more trips to the grocery store because everything has to be fresh, but other than that it's no big deal.

Also, get the "nom nom paleo" app. It's a five dollar app but there are a lot of good recipes an it sort of teaches you how to go about cooking paleo.

And go to whole foods and buy some "ghee". You'll thank me later.

Thanks for the solid info; got me even more excited to start feeling the changes. How are your energy levels? That's something I'm struggling with the most.

johnsmith
01-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the solid info; got me even more excited to start feeling the changes. How are your energy levels? That's something I'm struggling with the most.

I don't know if that's changed much because I've always worked out anyway and that didn't change. The biggest difference was noticed like I said within the first week....I'd wake up and I felt completely different than I used too. I just felt "good" the moment I got out of bed, it was kind of shocking.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't know if that's changed much because I've always worked out anyway and that didn't change. The biggest difference was noticed like I said within the first week....I'd wake up and I felt completely different than I used too. I just felt "good" the moment I got out of bed, it was kind of shocking.

That sounds terrific, we're starting this evening.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
True story here. I've had arthritis since I was 25. Whenever I go on a strict diet and avoid gluten and most sugar, it goes away completely.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 01:07 PM
True story here. I've had arthritis since I was 25. Whenever I go on a strict diet and avoid gluten and most sugar, it goes away completely.

It's crazy that removal of gluten has so many positive effects on people. I've heard nothing but success stories from people who've ditched it.

Katherine Robinson
01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
It's crazy that removal of gluten has so many positive effects on people. I've heard nothing but success stories from people who've ditched it.

Gluten sensitivity is a large problem in the world today as many don't know it is the cause to some health problems they endure, especially joint and muscle pain. If one suffers from joint and muscle pain, they should consider giving up products containing gluten for a few months to see if they have sensitivity to it.

xmas1997
01-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Just google it. There is a ton of info an books out there on it. It's very worth it IMO and makes sense when you think about it.

It's also pretty easy to stick too.

Thanks, johnsmith, I will.
Unlike you to be so civil toward me though. I would have expected an antagonistic comment.
Thanks again.

GoodOdor
01-29-2014, 01:37 PM
I eat a bagel for breakfast 5 days of the week, on the weekend I'll eat and omelet, but even then I have to have a slice of cheese
with some cream cheese on it.

I also eat a sandwich for lunch quite often, not to mention I love rice.

I just don't see how I can give this all up:depressed

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Gluten sensitivity is a large problem in the world today as many don't know it is the cause to some health problems they endure, especially joint and muscle pain. If one suffers from joint and muscle pain, they should consider giving up products containing gluten for a few months to see if they have sensitivity to it.

true that. the only thing I hate is now every company is advertising their product as "gluten free". I guess I understand it but I don't need a label to tell me that my bottled water is gluten free.
Anyway, for KR, I think once you get off of it for a while, you're OK to have a gluten product here and there.

Unless you're super sensitive, you should be able to have the occasional gluten product here and there.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
This article is great, and super insightful:

http://experiencelife.com/article/gluten-the-whole-story/

leemajors
01-29-2014, 01:58 PM

mashed potatoes with coconut oil instead of butter are great.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
mashed potatoes with coconut oil instead of butter are great.

Coconut is not good for anyone. Neither are mashed potatoes. I've been going with sweet potatoes.

leemajors
01-29-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm never going gluten free because gluten free beer is disgusting.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm never going gluten free because gluten free beer is disgusting.

This is the hardest part for me, sadly. You can always stick to Stongbow Cider!

Personally; I think I'll just move to vodka drinks..

leemajors
01-29-2014, 02:05 PM

you'd have to stick to potato vodka.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 02:06 PM
you'd have to stick to potato vodka.

I thought all distilled liquors were gluten free?

EDIT:

Q: Even though most vodkas are in fact distilled from grain rather than the much thought potato, are they still all gluten-free?

A: (Scott Adams): Yes, distillation removes all prolamines so distilled spirits are considered safe.

xmas1997
01-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Mashed potatoes are bad for you now?
Whats next, water?

leemajors
01-29-2014, 02:09 PM
I thought all distilled liquors were gluten free?

Depends on how many times it is distilled I guess, but I am not sure.

Spur|n|Austin
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM

As I read further along, I'm seeing more and more "stick to potato/grape vodkas", so good looking out.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2014, 02:17 PM

I only drink gluten free water.

xmas1997
01-29-2014, 02:19 PM
I only drink free water.

johnsmith
01-29-2014, 02:20 PM

My cheat days have revolved around beer this far...I can't eliminate that from my life completely...if I tried, I'd just be lying to myself.

johnsmith
01-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Also, if you have any weight to lose, you will while on this diet.

xmas1997
01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
There is always weight to lose.

CuckingFunt
01-29-2014, 02:55 PM
A slice of cheese with cream cheese on it?

The Gemini Method
01-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Had this Gluten-Free Coconut White Chocolate Macadamia nut cookie from Coolhaus the other day and it was all kinds of goodness vs. weird texture...

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2014, 02:37 PM

We've been going strong for about 2 weeks now and I've felt great, until today..

I cheated and had a full blown Mexican meal today for lunch, and now feel like complete utter shit back at the office..

I've gotta say, the cutting of beer has done wonders.. I don't have much weight to lose, but I just feel completely rejuvenated every morning and much less bloated.

Oh, and yes. Coconut oil is really fucking good, you're correct.

lmbebo
02-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Brother has done the pale diet for 3 years now, he feels 1000% better than he used to (other issues).

I tried the paleo diet 2 years ago, felt great eating. But was hard to maintain it during lunch, it is more expensive and I like bread/pasta too much to just give it up ...

ashbeeigh
12-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Is anyone still doing this? I did a Whole 30 before Thanksgiving and lost a good 15 pounds and had a taco the day I finished and felt horrible after, so I'm sticking to paleo stuff to not get sick again. Any good recipes that y'all have done/had? How about eating out (I am just so bored I decided to pop in to the Club).