PDA

View Full Version : TP selected to WC All Star Reserves

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
(https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)San Antonio's Tony Parker has been selected to the Western Conference All-Star reserves, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

spurs10
01-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the news!

Biernutz
Tony deserves it.....He has worked his ass off for us this year....Congrats...

timtonymanu
No surprise!

r0drig0lac
01-30-2014, 06:12 PM
because wesTObrook is injured

Sigz
01-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Tony has sucked this year. He looks like a shell of himself.

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
(https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)Indiana's Lance Stephenson was passed over for the Eastern Conference All-Star reserves, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Lance is going to be pissed

Johnny RIngo
01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
No surprise!

Doesn't deserve it. His performance this year is a major regression from the TP we saw in 2012 and 2013. Not even a top 5 point guard this year.

Texas_Ranger
01-30-2014, 06:16 PM
lol if Dragic doesnt make it, but Lillard does.

Johnny RIngo
01-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Tony deserves it.....He has worked his ass off for us this year....Congrats...

He worked his ass off for France. Now he's whining about needing rest while on company time. Earn your paycheck, Frenchie.

DPG21920
01-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Dragic didn't make it. Lillard and TP did.

MeloHype
01-30-2014, 06:21 PM
lmao

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
(https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)Bulls center Joakim Noah will be an East All-Star reserve, source told Yahoo.

Johnny RIngo
01-30-2014, 06:23 PM
TP getting snubbed would have been ideal. It would have given him the extra rest he's been complaining about and it might have fired him up to prove the coaches wrong about not picking him. Instead, TP's being rewarded for his mediocrity.

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Jeff Zillgitt @JeffZillgitt
(https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt)Wizards guard John Wall will be on the NBA All-Star team, I've been told.

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
(https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)No surprise, Rockets center Dwight Howard named to West All-Stars, source said.

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)DeMar DeRozan, I'm told, is an East All-Star. Hearing Kyle Lowry did not

TD 21
01-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Typical. I knew Parker would make it, because they feel obligated to pick a Spur and people have decided he's their undisputed (despite virtually every shred of statistical evidence suggesting that they don't have one) best player the past few seasons and I knew Duncan wouldn't, because he got off to a slow start (due to injury) and they've been desperate to proclaim him a non star for years.

If it were always based on statistical merit, I'd get it. But it's not about that, it's about politics. When Nowitzki won the championship/Finals MVP, the following season, despite a decline, he was treated like a god. Duncan didn't quite accomplish those two things, but he basically did and had a lot more credibility built up to begin with.

ace3g
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Also hearing Dirk Nowitzki is a Western Conference All-Star ... and Tim Duncan is not

Mugen
01-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Congrats to Frenchie tbh.

EVAY
01-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Congrats to TP…so sorry to see that the coaches who selected TP didn't recognize the brilliance of posters on ST like Johnny Ringo, etc., who know so much better than they do who should be on the team.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Congrats to TP…so sorry to see that the coaches who selected TP didn't recognize the brilliance of posters on ST like Johnny Ringo, etc., who know so much better than they do who should be on the team.

I don't have a problem with Parker making it, but this is horrible logic:lol..

The same coaches that snubbed Kyle Lowry(the best PG in the Eas this seasont):lol..

Juggity
01-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Duncan should be in and TP out, if we're being honest.

Godbama
01-30-2014, 07:14 PM
:rolleyes

DatBoyGood
01-30-2014, 07:14 PM
I wouldnt have picked Dirk or Howard. I wouldve switched them for Cousins and Duncan.

ace3g
01-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Tony Parker @tonyparker
(https://twitter.com/tonyparker)What a great honor to go back to the All Star Game ! Thank you everybody, my teamates... Go Spurs Go !!!!

ace3g
01-30-2014, 07:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfRIAs6IIAANxRM.jpg:large

DMC
01-30-2014, 07:29 PM
All Star is a popularity contest, that doesn't change a lot when it comes time to pick the reserves.

Andthentherewas21
01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Would have preferred none of them making it and it lighting a fire under their asses. With the exception of a couple of contusions here and there, Parker's only excuse for his regression this season can be the effort he expended over the summer on the French National team. This nod eliminates the only time he was going to get a decent amount of rest in.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
It was a pity selection because the Spurs have a pretty good record. Parker's playing the worst defense of his career.

Mikeanaro
01-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Now he can rest from the spurs and play good ball... then come fresh to the team and show us some new hero moves.

ElNono
01-30-2014, 07:47 PM
TD should've been there over Dirk, tbh...

Congrats Tony

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Dirk deserved it, tbh, he's having a great year..

Anthony Davis, Dragic and Lowry getting snubbed is fucking embarrassing, tbh..

RD2191
01-30-2014, 08:01 PM
A Davis is a beast

$pursDynasty
01-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I am glad he got selected to it but Tony needs some rest so I'd love it if he came down with a mysterious illness so he would have to sit it out.

Brazil
01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
TP getting snubbed would have been ideal. It would have given him the extra rest he's been complaining about and it might have fired him up to prove the coaches wrong about not picking him. Instead, TP's being rewarded for his mediocrity.

Stfu faggot

Brazil
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
This selection sucks anyway, spurs should shut him down one week before and after asg tbh... It is what it is tho

timtonymanu
01-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Dragic is the biggest snub. The Suns are a playoff team and he didn't get recognized?

DMC
01-30-2014, 08:28 PM
I knew Duncan, Davis, Cousins, Dragic, Conley, Lawson and Lowry, wouldn't make it.

Duncan - As I alluded to, inexplicably not nearly as respected as he should be, which is why you always hear comments from unnamed executives, in the yearly cliche articles about the Spurs' continued success, about "how great a coach Pop is", "how great their system is" and "how great their front office is". It's almost always about someone or something but the players. The Spurs should have known this and privately campaigned for Duncan and Pop should have a slew of scathing public comments after the snub.

On the contrary, I think Tim is widely considered one of the greatest players of all time, and in the top 2 of his generation if not number 1. At the same time, he's gotten his respectful consideration by coaches over the years in seasons where he wasn't voted in. It ends eventually. I don't think a "just short of retirement" guy should necessarily be selected, especially considering the beast he was last year garnering All NBA accolades and to follow that up with a dismal 1st half of the season. Had Tim had just a few better games early on or had the Spurs actually beaten some good teams with Duncan's clutch performances, I'm sure he'd be there. Right now he's just a face.

Davis - Not yet an established All-Star and on a team with a losing record. This has always a death knell, unless you're Love, then you get a free pass. Wonder why . . .

Or Lebron. Love has always put up gawdy numbers. Now that LA is hurting and wants Love to come over, they are no doubt voting for him, plus there's no LA fan favorite at that spot.

Cousins - In addition to not being an established All-Star and on a team with a terrible record, has a well deserved terrible reputation. Players with less bad reputations have been burned by this (Anthony, early in his career and Josh Smith repeatedly over the years) in the past.

True, but he's a beast in the game. He suffers from being on one of 4 California teams and not the favorite ones. Also, Shaq being part owner probably cost the team some LA votes seeing how they throw everyone but Kobe under the bus.

Dragic, Conley, Lawson and Lowry - Flat out not considered All-Star type names and in the case of the West trio, all on fringe playoff teams and up until maybe recently, it was difficult to pick one out of the bunch.

East being so terrible makes West teams look better, plus the Suns have been struggling for a few seasons. It's right that someone there get some notice for their marked improvement this season.

Lowry doesn't have a great reputation, but when you consider the competition in the West, he's by far the biggest snub. The fact that DeRozan and especially Johnson, made it over him (as I correctly predicted, in both cases), is beyond comprehension and shows you just how much politics are involved.

I think Lowry spent too many years as a role player. I have no idea what the dude sounds like on a microphone. Do you? He's basically unknown by fans other than by name.

phxspurfan
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Anthony Davis should have made it over D12

TD 21
01-30-2014, 08:52 PM
On the contrary, I think Tim is widely considered one of the greatest players of all time, and in the top 2 of his generation if not number 1. At the same time, he's gotten his respectful consideration by coaches over the years in seasons where he wasn't voted in. It ends eventually. I don't think a "just short of retirement" guy should necessarily be selected, especially considering the beast he was last year garnering All NBA accolades and to follow that up with a dismal 1st half of the season. Had Tim had just a few better games early on or had the Spurs actually beaten some good teams with Duncan's clutch performances, I'm sure he'd be there. Right now he's just a face.

Or Lebron. Love has always put up gawdy numbers. Now that LA is hurting and wants Love to come over, they are no doubt voting for him, plus there's no LA fan favorite at that spot.

True, but he's a beast in the game. He suffers from being on one of 4 California teams and not the favorite ones. Also, Shaq being part owner probably cost the team some LA votes seeing how they throw everyone but Kobe under the bus.

East being so terrible makes West teams look better, plus the Suns have been struggling for a few seasons. It's right that someone there get some notice for their marked improvement this season.

I think Lowry spent too many years as a role player. I have no idea what the dude sounds like on a microphone. Do you? He's basically unknown by fans other than by name.

In retrospect, I thought this was off topic, so I moved it to the NBA forum.

Fair enough, but just know, if one of Diaw or Leonard snare a rebound that was in their hands, they're champions, he's probably Finals MVP and virtually no amount of individual or team drop off in first half would have prevented him from being an All-Star (look no further than Nowitzki). He didn't even have a hand in that play and yet, in an indirect way, it's held against him.

James was in the much weaker East and was clearly a top five player of all-time in the making. Gaudy traditional numbers didn't help Abdur-Rahim, Ellis, Jamison, Randolph (in his Trail Blazer days) or myriad others over the years. Yes, Love's advanced stats blow theirs away, but if advanced stats mattered, Johnson wouldn't have had a hope in hell of making it.

None of what you said had anything to do with Cousins not making it.

Dragic was competing with Parker and Lillard. Parker has been a top five MVP candidate two years running, was arguably a play away from being the Finals MVP and is (wrongly) regarded as the undisputed best player on the second best team in the West, while Lillard is on a top three team in the West and has hit numerous clutch shots. This was in line with the usual politics, so it made sense.

I do know what Lowry sounds like. You're right though, he's not famous enough, which obviously didn't help him.

DMC
01-30-2014, 09:11 PM
In retrospect, I thought this was off topic, so I moved it to the NBA forum.

Fair enough, but just know, if one of Diaw or Leonard snare a rebound that was in their hands, they're champions, he's probably Finals MVP and virtually no amount of individual or team drop off in first half would have prevented him from being an All-Star (look no further than Nowitzki). He didn't even have a hand in that play and yet, in an indirect way, it's held against him.

That says nothing about whether or not he deserves it and speaks more toward pressure from fans to award it. You'd have a hard time not awarding it to a Finals MVP from the previous year. Otherwise, that was last year and this is not. If Kevin Love's team played better, he's lock every year.

James was in the much weaker East and was clearly a top five player of all-time in the making. Gaudy traditional numbers didn't help Abdur-Rahim, Ellis, Jamison, Randolph (in his Trail Blazer days) or myriad others over the years. Yes, Love's advanced stats blow theirs away, but if advanced stats mattered, Johnson wouldn't have had a hope in hell of making it.

James was hyped up by the media. It's like how Arnold won the office in California with no resume whatsoever. It's about popularity.

None of what you said had anything to do with Cousins not making it.

So people not voting for Cousins had nothing to do with him not making it? If he played for LA, even with his attitude, he's a starter.

Dragic was competing with Parker and Lillard. Parker has been a top five MVP candidate two years running, was arguably a play away from being the Finals MVP and is (wrongly) regarded as the undisputed best player on the second best team in the West, while Lillard is on a top three team in the West and has hit numerous clutch shots. This was in line with the usual politics, so it made sense.

Tony and Tim can't both be a play away from being the Finals MVP. Pick one or the other, not both.

I do know what Lowry sounds like. You're right though, he's not famous enough, which obviously didn't help him.
Boiled down, it's a popularity contest. Fans aren't looking for solid passing and good defense. They want a newer version of the Globetrotters and to see dunkers doing in game dunks. It's a personality fest, and the league personalities will always be there (Kobe being a fine example). Tim has no personality to speak of, at least nothing he's shown to the public. Coaches feel pressure to put certain guys on the squad, and it's not as cut and dry as their performances.

timtonymanu
01-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Lol Chuck saying Leonard should be an all star over Timmy. And then saying Leonard being out is the reason we lost 3 straight when we have 3 other players out.

Johnny RIngo
01-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Stfu faggot

Don't be so butthurt. Dragic and Davis deserved the spot much more than TP. Parker's played half-ass bball this season outside of a select few games.

DMC
01-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Lol Chuck saying Leonard should be an all star over Timmy. And then saying Leonard being out is the reason we lost 3 straight when we have 3 other players out.

Chuck isn't the brightest bulb. Even the greatest player ever has shitty basketball takes and doesn't know the game outside of playing it himself.

Russ
01-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Not wanting to wade through all of this, but did TD not make it?

apalisoc_9
01-30-2014, 10:31 PM
TP deserves it but Goran, Curry, Lillard, Ellis have been far more impactfull for their teams than Tony this year tbh.

Also, lol at lowry not making it.

It's good that they Got dirk in the all-star though.

siraulo23
01-30-2014, 11:24 PM
def, one spur had to be picked

LakerHater
01-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Sux for Tim but i dont think KoMe should be credited for an All-Star apperance/selection!

tim_duncan_fan
01-30-2014, 11:49 PM
We're 1-12 or 13.

No Spur deserved to make it and I'm pissed Tony is in. Wrong message is being sent.

Tim Duncan is one of the greatest players of all-time and my absolute favorite...but he can just barely move. It's not his fault that he's old, but that's what the reality is. Tony Parker has been a career Spur...but not so great this year.

We hang their jerseys the second their retirement papers are received, of course, but they just shouldn't be on the All-Star team in a year when they can't will us to victories against anybody decent. It's not their fault. It's no one's fault (except Pop's), but the Spurs shouldn't have an All-Star with the way they play against quality competition.

LakerHater
01-30-2014, 11:58 PM

LakerHater
01-31-2014, 12:02 AM

Ice009
01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think TP deserves to be in it this season with how he's played, and it's his own fault for running himself ragged.

Baam
01-31-2014, 12:42 AM

Not that far from the truth, good take imo.

apalisoc_9
01-31-2014, 12:45 AM
yeah because Splitter, Green and Manu are total scrubs :rolleyes

DieMrBond
01-31-2014, 12:46 AM
Dirk definitely deserves it, he's having (or close to having) a 50/40/90 year at what, age 36/37? That's damn impressive. Cousins doesn't, mostly because of team record. I'm one of those that thinks that should count. Kinda glad Tim didn't for rest reasons, but TP definitely did deserve it. You can't go from a top 3 MVP candidate last year, to not even making the All Star game - that's nuts? Really, they should have gotten rid of some of the East players, choose captains and have them pick the teams, like a real pickup game. (I think TBJ/The Starters had that idea originally, can't remember where I heard it but it was a good idea). I mean - Joe Johnson and John Wall? They are on TERRIBLE teams and wouldn't make it in the West at all.

Baam
01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
Manu hasn't been out for a full game and yes Green and Splitter are scrubs, with Green being the much better scrub of the two.

Boomersgold
01-31-2014, 12:51 AM
Dragic is the biggest snub. The Suns are a playoff team and he didn't get recognized?
Agreed. He doesn't get the exposure and credit that he deserves.

ElNono
01-31-2014, 01:12 AM
Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Dirk doesn't deserve it, but I thought TD could've easily gotten the nod over him. This was far from Tim's best season, but Dirk isn't his best version either and I think the Mavs reflect that. That's all.

romain.star
01-31-2014, 01:29 AM
Parker does not deserve an All Star spot this year

tenbeersbold
01-31-2014, 01:52 AM
He worked his ass off for France. Now he's whining about needing rest while on company time. Earn your paycheck, Frenchie.
Yup,looks like another title run hampered by BS euro ball

007nites
01-31-2014, 01:57 AM
Tim should have made it

lefty
01-31-2014, 02:01 AM
Parker does not deserve an All Star spot this year
Thanks for ruining it for me

Budkin
01-31-2014, 02:01 AM
Damn was hoping he'd get snubbed and actually work on his game.

timtonymanu
01-31-2014, 02:12 AM
Damn was hoping he'd get snubbed and actually work on his game.

He should have gotten snubbed to rest. He really needs time off.

DieMrBond
01-31-2014, 05:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Dirk doesn't deserve it, but I thought TD could've easily gotten the nod over him. This was far from Tim's best season, but Dirk isn't his best version either and I think the Mavs reflect that. That's all.

Wasn't having a go at you ElNono - just saying I thought Dirk probably deserved it over TD this year at least. Really, if Kobe and Chris Paul weren't taking up spots they don't deserve, maybe TD could have made it. But probably not with Cousins and Goran making good cases.

Brazil
01-31-2014, 07:15 AM
Don't be so butthurt. Dragic and Davis deserved the spot much more than TP. Parker's played half-ass bball this season outside of a select few games.

there is a difference between Dragic and Davis deserved the spot and rewarded for his mediocrity. you have 0 credibility when you speak about Parker you are at timvpdpot level... just vomiting on a player of your team

carry on

romain.star
01-31-2014, 07:42 AM
there is a difference between Dragic and Davis deserved the spot and rewarded for his mediocrity. you have 0 credibility when you speak about Parker you are at timvpdpot level... just vomiting on a player of your team

carry on

Vieux de tes 16.572 posts, t'as toujours la flamme de batailler les rageux, c'est beau

Brazil
01-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Vieux de tes 16.572 posts, t'as toujours la flamme de batailler les rageux, c'est beau

pas toujours mais de temps en temps il faut bien...

comment va la vie ?

urunobili
01-31-2014, 09:50 AM
concerned about no rest for TP :depressed... I would have preferred an all Spur snubbed roster TBH

superbigtime
01-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Congratulations Tony! TP has had better seasons when he wasn't selected, but I am glad for him. He could've used the rest but it's nice to see Spurs get recognized.

Dverde
01-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Congratulations Tony! TP has had better seasons when he wasn't selected, but I am glad for him. He could've used the rest but it's nice to see Spurs get recognized. I remember he was compared to Leandro Barbosa during the early part of his career. He has blown that comparison out of the water now. I think he is a lock for HoF now. Maybe not a first year elgibility guy, but he should get in...assuming he doesn't murder anyone.

Old School 44
01-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Just curious, when was the last year a Spur hasn't been in the all-star game? Was it 1996, the year just before Duncan arrived?

Old School 44
01-31-2014, 12:38 PM
^yes, it was 96-97, the year just before Duncan arrived. Amazingly, there have been only 2 seasons in the history of the Spurs, they have not been represented in an All-Star game, 88-89 was the the other season. This goes all the way back to their 9 ABA seasons.

Johnny RIngo
01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
there is a difference between Dragic and Davis deserved the spot and rewarded for his mediocrity.

Did I say anything incorrect? TP has not played at an all-star level this year. His On/Off numbers reflect this. He only received this invite because the coaches felt obligated to give one spot to the Spurs due to their record. So, yes, TP was rewarded for his mediocrity.

you have 0 credibility when you speak about Parker you are at timvpdpot level... just vomiting on a player of your team

carry on

I'm far from a Parker hater. Anybody that knows my post history knows that I heavily criticized Ginobili this summer for his shit season and embarrassing Finals performance. TP, like Manu in 2012, prioritized international ball and his NBA game is suffering as a result. Hard for me to respect a Spur player that's not living up to his contract.

romain.star
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
pas toujours mais de temps en temps il faut bien...

comment va la vie ?

Elle va bien. Elle est ŕ Berlin et a trouvé un pub pour voir le crunch demain :)

Spur|n|Austin
01-31-2014, 02:27 PM

I agree with your points, but did he really whine about needing rest? That's vagina material right there.

Brazil
01-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Hard for me to respect a Spur player that's not living up to his contract.

another shitty take

parker contract is a bargain

carry on

01-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Dragic definitely deserved it more than TP, but with the Spurs record being what it is, at least one player had to represent the team.

Dragic will likely get in since CP3 probably won't play due to injury.

Johnny RIngo
01-31-2014, 05:29 PM
another shitty take

parker contract is a bargain

carry on

Parker's contract is fair value actually considering his tendency to disappoint in the post-season. Great regular season player tho

TD 21
01-31-2014, 06:01 PM
That says nothing about whether or not he deserves it and speaks more toward pressure from fans to award it. You'd have a hard time not awarding it to a Finals MVP from the previous year. Otherwise, that was last year and this is not. If Kevin Love's team played better, he's lock every year.

James was hyped up by the media. It's like how Arnold won the office in California with no resume whatsoever. It's about popularity.

So people not voting for Cousins had nothing to do with him not making it? If he played for LA, even with his attitude, he's a starter.

Tony and Tim can't both be a play away from being the Finals MVP. Pick one or the other, not both.

Boiled down, it's a popularity contest. Fans aren't looking for solid passing and good defense. They want a newer version of the Globetrotters and to see dunkers doing in game dunks. It's a personality fest, and the league personalities will always be there (Kobe being a fine example). Tim has no personality to speak of, at least nothing he's shown to the public. Coaches feel pressure to put certain guys on the squad, and it's not as cut and dry as their performances.

It has everything to do with why he didn't make it. As I alluded to in my initial post, this isn't about statistical merit; it's about politics. My point was, how foolish is it that a single play, that he had no control over, essentially determined whether he was an All-Star this season or not?

Cousins was never going to get the fan vote though, which is why it was irrelevant in his case.

Again, you missed the point. Duncan and Parker were 50/50 to win Finals MVP.

I wasn't speaking about the fans, I was speaking about the coaches, who should be above what you said and any other biases.

DMC
01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
It has everything to do with why he didn't make it. As I alluded to in my initial post, this isn't about statistical merit; it's about politics. My point was, how foolish is it that a single play, that he had no control over, essentially determined whether he was an All-Star this season or not?

No it has nothing to do with why he didn't make it. You just gave a scenario where he would make it, without justifying him making it. You just showed human tendency to fold to pressure. Not having that pressure is not why he didn't make it. He didn't make it because A) he's not playing at that level and B) he's in a small market, and C) he's spent his entire career as in introvert, on a team that totes a "quiet dynasty" banner with the media. He's chosen for years to avoid advertising himself to the world. It should not be a shocker that the world doesn't vote for him. The fact they ever did is testament to just how dominant he was.

Cousins was never going to get the fan vote though, which is why it was irrelevant in his case.

If Cousins had his team in the playoff race, he would.

Again, you missed the point. Duncan and Parker were 50/50 to win Finals MVP.

But James won it so your 50/50 doesn't make sense. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. If winning an MVP gets you undeserved credit the following year, then not winning it gets you what?

I wasn't speaking about the fans, I was speaking about the coaches, who should be above what you said and any other biases.
No one is above bias, unless you mean Len Bias in which case everyone is above him.

Dex
01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Good for TP. Not his best year, but he deserves it for carrying the Spurs up to the this point.

As for Tim...I've finally come to terms with the fact that Tim just really doesn't care at this point. Sure, one more All-Star Game on his resume would be nice, but it's not really going to affect his legacy. He'd probably prefer to rest. Couple that with the fact that Tim's season has been steady but hardly spectacular, and I think it makes sense to omit Tim for some of the younger guys like Aldridge or Davis.

TD 21
01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
No it has nothing to do with why he didn't make it. You just gave a scenario where he would make it, without justifying him making it. You just showed human tendency to fold to pressure. Not having that pressure is not why he didn't make it. He didn't make it because A) he's not playing at that level and B) he's in a small market, and C) he's spent his entire career as in introvert, on a team that totes a "quiet dynasty" banner with the media. He's chosen for years to avoid advertising himself to the world. It should not be a shocker that the world doesn't vote for him. The fact they ever did is testament to just how dominant he was.

If Cousins had his team in the playoff race, he would.

But James won it so your 50/50 doesn't make sense. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. If winning an MVP gets you undeserved credit the following year, then not winning it gets you what?

No one is above bias, unless you mean Len Bias in which case everyone is above him.

The justification is that those things generally result in a guaranteed spot, unless you completely fall off a cliff. He hasn't, so what other explanation is there? I don't want to hear this pie in the sky nonsense about merit. It's not about merit when the player who's been the best guard in a conference doesn't make it.

I don't know how long you've been following the league, but anyone who knows anything knew Cousins never stood a chance. It didn't matter where he had his team, just like it didn't matter where Dragic had his.

50/50 had the Spurs won. My point is, a single play, in which Duncan had no part in, essentially decided this. I don't see a credible argument for that not being beyond ridiculous.

I realize that, but they should be. It shouldn't matter that Lowry has apparently clashed with damn near any coach he's ever had, whether that one play broke the Spurs way or not, etc.

DMC
01-31-2014, 06:59 PM
The justification is that those things generally result in a guaranteed spot, unless you completely fall off a cliff. He hasn't, so what other explanation is there? I don't want to hear this pie in the sky nonsense about merit. It's not about merit when the player who's been the best guard in a conference doesn't make it.

So what you're really complaining about is that people who shouldn't get spots on ASG rosters get them because of their performance or accolades the prior year.

I don't know how long you've been following the league, but anyone who knows anything knew Cousins never stood a chance. It didn't matter where he had his team, just like it didn't matter where Dragic had his.

Dragic is in a PG heavy conference/league. There aren't many big guys like Cousins, and if he had his team in the top seeds, he's in. I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.

50/50 had the Spurs won. My point is, a single play, in which Duncan had no part in, essentially decided this. I don't see a credible argument for that not being beyond ridiculous.

But they didn't win. Why should anyone pretend they did? There's no 2nd place ring.

I realize that, but they should be. It shouldn't matter that Lowry has apparently clashed with damn near any coach he's ever had, whether that one play broke the Spurs way or not, etc.
You only have so many spots. Everyone cannot get the nod. Let Lowry stay with one team long enough to get some fans.

TD 21
01-31-2014, 07:14 PM
So what you're really complaining about is that people who shouldn't get spots on ASG rosters get them because of their performance or accolades the prior year.

Dragic is in a PG heavy conference/league. There aren't many big guys like Cousins, and if he had his team in the top seeds, he's in. I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.

But they didn't win. Why should anyone pretend they did? There's no 2nd place ring.

You only have so many spots. Everyone cannot get the nod. Let Lowry stay with one team long enough to get some fans.

No, I'm complaining because politics factor into this and they shouldn't.

What were you expecting, a press release that detailed why Cousins didn't make it?

Once more, you're missing the point. Why should a single play, in a game from seven months ago, have any bearing on who makes the All-Star game the following season?

:lol He's been one of the best half dozen players in the conference. Why are you still fixated on the fans? Everyone knows that's a popularity contest. I'm speaking strictly about the coaches selections.

Brazil
01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Parker's contract is fair value actually considering his tendency to disappoint in the post-season. Great regular season player tho

Make up your mind it's a fair contract or lopsided ? Not that I care about your final take but I cannot refrain myself to point out your inconsistency.

:lol with the RS player you used all the whole arsenal tbh

again Johnny no hard feeling but you obviously know shit about Parker and on top of that you cannot have an unbiased discussion so let's stop arguing. Carry on and I will do the same

DMC
01-31-2014, 07:55 PM
No, I'm complaining because politics factor into this and they shouldn't.

The fact that Tim isn't getting the crooked vote doesn't mean he's getting cheated.

What were you expecting, a press release that detailed why Cousins didn't make it?

No, I know why he didn't make it. His team wasn't good enough.

Once more, you're missing the point. Why should a single play, in a game from seven months ago, have any bearing on who makes the All-Star game the following season?

You're looking at it from the wrong side. Why should a last second 3 by Ray Allen be any more important than the 1st 3 of the game? Same 3 point swing. Spurs lost game 7 with Tim playing the 4th quarter and basically playing like shit. He missed a wide open look right over a smaller defender. You have to factor that in. I realize you think the series ended after Ray Allen's shot, but it didn't. There was still over 50 minutes of ball to play and Spurs still had a chance to win that series.

Tim either deserves the nod or he does not. You're pointing out scenarios where he would probably get an undeserved nod and calling it unfair that he didn't get the nod because of one butterfly that changed the future. I'm not going to iron out human nature or cause and effect right here on this forum. Tim wasn't selected because his work this season didn't merit it and there was no weighting of the opinion by a ring ceremony or a trophy presentation.

:lol He's been one of the best half dozen players in the conference. Why are you still fixated on the fans? Everyone knows that's a popularity contest. I'm speaking strictly about the coaches selections.
So Bosh, Hibbert, James, George, Melo and Lowry? lol

So Toronto deserved 2 players in the AS game?

Johnny RIngo
02-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Make up your mind it's a fair contract or lopsided ? Not that I care about your final take but I cannot refrain myself to point out your inconsistency.

I never said his contract was lopsided. I said he's not living up to it with his half-ass play this season.

Not like your takes are worth a damn. TP's contract is a bargain yet superiors players like Curry are making less than him.

:lol with the RS player you used all the whole arsenal tbh

Just stating facts tbh

again Johnny no hard feeling but you obviously know shit about Parker and on top of that you cannot have an unbiased discussion so let's stop arguing. Carry on and I will do the same

A Frenchman telling me I can't have an unbiased discussion on a French player :lol

Brazil
02-01-2014, 07:42 AM
I never said his contract was lopsided. I said he's not living up to it with his half-ass play this season.

Not like your takes are worth a damn. TP's contract is a bargain yet superiors players like Curry are making less than him.

Just stating facts tbh

A Frenchman telling me I can't have an unbiased discussion on a French player :lol

if his contract is a bargain he cannot be lopsided, make up your mind
yet curry is fun won shit so far
ya funny right ?

Carry on Johnny

TD 21
02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
The fact that Tim isn't getting the crooked vote doesn't mean he's getting cheated.

No, I know why he didn't make it. His team wasn't good enough.

You're looking at it from the wrong side. Why should a last second 3 by Ray Allen be any more important than the 1st 3 of the game? Same 3 point swing. Spurs lost game 7 with Tim playing the 4th quarter and basically playing like shit. He missed a wide open look right over a smaller defender. You have to factor that in. I realize you think the series ended after Ray Allen's shot, but it didn't. There was still over 50 minutes of ball to play and Spurs still had a chance to win that series.

Tim either deserves the nod or he does not. You're pointing out scenarios where he would probably get an undeserved nod and calling it unfair that he didn't get the nod because of one butterfly that changed the future. I'm not going to iron out human nature or cause and effect right here on this forum. Tim wasn't selected because his work this season didn't merit it and there was no weighting of the opinion by a ring ceremony or a trophy presentation.

So Bosh, Hibbert, James, George, Melo and Lowry? lol

So Toronto deserved 2 players in the AS game?

He is, because that's the way things have always worked. You're confusing that with whether they should work that way or not, which is another argument altogether and therefore irrelevant in this case.

:lol Cousins could have had his team where Dragic had his and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Again, he deserved it, largely because he has the sort of credentials (I'm not just talking career, but recent, team record, etc.) that generally lead to a virtual automatic spot. They did for Nowitzki the season after they won it, they did for Billups for a while after he "deserved it", so why should Duncan be any different?

James, George, Anthony, Hibbert, Lowry and Wade. You can quibble with the order of 3-5, but those have been the best half dozen players in the East this season.

By questioning whether "Toronto deserved 2 All-Stars", you're now admitting to knowing that politics play a role. I wouldn't go so far as to say DeRozan deserved it, but you can easily make the argument they should have gotten two. They're arguably the third best team in the conference.

Bambililos
02-01-2014, 06:02 PM
I agree with your points, but did he really whine about needing rest? That's vagina material right there.
This has nothing to do with vaginas, it's just downright BS.
Tony doesn't complain to anyone, he just admits that he is gassed and hopes he'll be alright for the playoffs. If he said nothing, some would bitch about him hiding the fact that he's not right. They're just mad that he spent his energy on "BS euro ball" but their tiny mind won't ever be able to grasp that last summer, he wrote himself in the history of the sport in France, in Europe and in all the FIBA world. He's a legend now. So JR can keep whining about the Spurs (who I hope will get another 'chip this season), but we are already grateful for TP.

gnsf0946
02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
I think Parker realized 2013 was their last shot, they blew it and so the last thing he was missing was a Euro championship, went all out for it, won it and now is at piece.

DMC
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
He is, because that's the way things have always worked. You're confusing that with whether they should work that way or not, which is another argument altogether and therefore irrelevant in this case.

No, you're the one who dragged the Finals into this. Tim hasn't been anywhere close to AS level this year.

:lol Cousins could have had his team where Dragic had his and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I think differently but it's all speculation.

Again, he deserved it, largely because he has the sort of credentials (I'm not just talking career, but recent, team record, etc.) that generally lead to a virtual automatic spot. They did for Nowitzki the season after they won it, they did for Billups for a while after he "deserved it", so why should Duncan be any different?

Tim didn't win.

James, George, Anthony, Hibbert, Lowry and Wade. You can quibble with the order of 3-5, but those have been the best half dozen players in the East this season.

So Lowry is better than DeRozan? Better than Chris Bosh? Better than Kyrie Irving?

By questioning whether "Toronto deserved 2 All-Stars", you're now admitting to knowing that politics play a role. I wouldn't go so far as to say DeRozan deserved it, but you can easily make the argument they should have gotten two. They're arguably the third best team in the conference.

Pacers have been the best team and they got 2. The Raptors are barely over 500. They are only a half a game up on the Hawks who only have 1 player represented.

So who does Lowry replace?

th3answ3r
02-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Lowry has contributed more to the raptors than derozan^

TD 21
02-01-2014, 08:07 PM
No, you're the one who dragged the Finals into this. Tim hasn't been anywhere close to AS level this year.

I think differently but it's all speculation.

Tim didn't win.

So Lowry is better than DeRozan? Better than Chris Bosh? Better than Kyrie Irving?

Pacers have been the best team and they got 2. The Raptors are barely over 500. They are only a half a game up on the Hawks who only have 1 player represented.

So who does Lowry replace?

:lol Thinking Duncan hasn't been anywhere close to All-Star level this year.
:lol Thinking Lowry isn't a better player than DeRozan and hasn't had a better season than Bosh and Irving
:lol Not realizing that Johnson had no business even receiving serious consideration

DMC
02-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Lowry
Per Game

Glossary · Hide Partial · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lowryky01.html#per_game::none) · ?

Season
Lg
Pos
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2013-14 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lowryky01/gamelog/2014/)
TOR (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2014.html)
NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014.html)
PG

DeRozan

Per Game

Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01.html#per_game::none) · ?

Season
Lg
Pos
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2013-14 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01/gamelog/2014/)
TOR (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2014.html)
NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014.html)
SG

DeRozan averages 5 more PPG than Lowry and plays roughly the same minutes. How can you say Lowry is better? What are you using as a measuring stick?

Or have you been reduced to the emoticon rebuttal?

:lol Butt hurt that tired ass Tim Duncan didn't get selected
:lol Missing a game tying chip shot over Shane
:lol Too emotionally invested in the outcome of a kids game
:lol Tim wouldn't walk across the street to piss on you if you were on fire
:lol Projecting that at Lowry
:lol Tim Duncan All Star after being bailed out by the bench for half the season

TD 21
02-03-2014, 07:02 PM
DeRozan averages 5 more PPG than Lowry and plays roughly the same minutes. How can you say Lowry is better? What are you using as a measuring stick?

Or have you been reduced to the emoticon rebuttal?

:lol Butt hurt that tired ass Tim Duncan didn't get selected
:lol Missing a game tying chip shot over Shane
:lol Too emotionally invested in the outcome of a kids game
:lol Tim wouldn't walk across the street to piss on you if you were on fire
:lol Projecting that at Lowry
:lol Tim Duncan All Star after being bailed out by the bench for half the season

:rollinCongratulations on quite possibly the dumbest post I've ever seen.
:lol Being completely unaware of how foolish and archaic using PPG to determine who's better is

Anyone that oblivious isn't worthy my time.

DMC
02-03-2014, 10:01 PM
:rollinCongratulations on quite possibly the dumbest post I've ever seen.
:lol Being completely unaware of how foolish and archaic using PPG to determine who's better is

Anyone that oblivious isn't worthy my time.

:lol Professional coaches agreeing with me