PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Oberto offers worldly success

timvp
08-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Oberto offers worldly success; Horry also re-signs
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA080305.1C.BKNspurs.oberto.horry.128fd4b7.html
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

His hair is long, swept back from the brow in a style familiar to Spurs fans.

His English is spoken with a familiar accent, rhythm and inflection.

His basketball pedigree bears the same imprint.

All that remains for Fabricio Oberto, the newest member of the Spurs, is to accomplish results comparable to his Argentinean countryman, Manu Ginobili, the player his mannerisms bring to mind.

The Spurs on Tuesday introduced Oberto at their practice facility and presented him with jersey No. 7 — "my lucky number," Oberto said — shortly after he signed a three-year contract with the NBA champions.

After watching, via television, the run by Ginobili and the Spurs to the 2005 NBA title, Oberto reached a conclusion: "I am inspired," he said, "to be a champion."

The Spurs also announced a three-year deal with Robert Horry, who will enter his 14th NBA season after playing a significant role in the Spurs' championship, the sixth of his career.

"It was something that was obviously important to our team," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said of Horry's re-signing. "We were fortunate, again, to have a player that wanted to be here. That's been a big part of our success: Players who appreciate the environment they're in and the teammates they have. Nobody was a bigger part of that than Robert.

"Having said that, after having the playoff performance that he did there were several teams that really came at him strong. We're very pleased that he chose to stay here."

The Spurs have had Oberto, a 6-foot-10, 245-pound center-forward, on their scouting radar since 1997, when Buford saw the Argentine junior national team in a tournament in Australia. In fact, Oberto was a more prominent member of that team than Ginobili.

"In 1997, when I first saw Manu, the best player on the team at that time is now joining our team," Buford said. "Fabricio Oberto has been a great player on the international scene for many years. He is an Olympic gold medalist and now the newest member of the Spurs."

Oberto, who turned 30 in March, said becoming an NBA player was the culmination of a longtime dream.

"I almost cried," he said of the day he agreed to sign with the Spurs. "I had been waiting a long time. I was listening to a lot of people that told me I can play in the NBA for a long time, but it never happened (until) this."

He made listeners at Tuesday's news conference recall Ginobili when he talked about his approach to the game, and not merely because his accented English had the same lilt as Ginobili's. Both Argentine stars are singularly devoted to team play.

"Since I play basketball the only thing that matters to me is the team," Oberto said. "I don't care about my situation or my stats. It is only for the team."

Oberto said he spoke with Ginobili when it became clear he would be signing with the Spurs, and Ginobili gave him a crash course on how the Spurs like to play.

Oberto figures to fill a significant role behind starting center Nazr Mohammed and power forward Tim Duncan, the NBA Finals MVP. His presence should allow Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to use more flexibility with the team's big men.

"He's a great teammate, a great passer," Buford said of Oberto. "He understands the game ridiculously well. The thing you notice is that on any given night, Manu might get a bunch of points, or somebody else on their team might get a bunch of points, but the guy who played the most minutes every night has been Fabricio. He just does whatever it takes. He's a great defender, a great passer and rebounds the ball really well.

"And all the things you don't measure on a stat sheet are the things he brings to the table, outside of the abilities that you do see on the stat sheet, which is create scoring opportunities for himself and for others.

"As far as his role for this team, Pop will figure that out."

T Park
08-03-2005, 12:16 AM
He's a great teammate, a great passer," Buford said of Oberto. "He understands the game ridiculously well. The thing you notice is that on any given night, Manu might get a bunch of points, or somebody else on their team might get a bunch of points, but the guy who played the most minutes every night has been Fabricio. He just does whatever it takes. He's a great defender, a great passer and rebounds the ball really well.

"And all the things you don't measure on a stat sheet are the things he brings to the table, outside of the abilities that you do see on the stat sheet, which is create scoring opportunities for himself and for others.

RC likes him???

Nuff said.

Sold.

Welcome Fabri!!!

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Welcome Fabri, hope you achieve success! :)

timvp
08-03-2005, 12:28 AM
If Oberto can start at center, that is the best thing for this team financially in the long term.

T Park
08-03-2005, 12:51 AM
If Oberto can start at center, that is the best thing for this team financially in the long term

IMO, no.

You need a youngin to replace him in 2 or 3 years.

Dude is 30 come on...

Nazr Mohammed being the starting center for 5 or 6 more years is best.

Kori Ellis
08-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Dude is 30 come on...

Not much difference. Nazr is 28.

timvp
08-03-2005, 12:55 AM

Not if you have to pay him Dampier money -- which it will cost if he has a big year this season.

Oberto, if he plays well in the NBA, can buy you three or four years at the position. Then Mohammed can be re-signed at a lesser rate. That'd give you two quality centers that should be around for much of the rest of Duncan's prime.

timvp
08-03-2005, 12:56 AM
An interesting thing about this article is it doesn't even mention Rasho.

Oberto figures to fill a significant role behind starting center Nazr Mohammed and power forward Tim Duncan, the NBA Finals MVP.

I guess a trade of Rasho is pretty much a lock at this point.

milkyway21
08-03-2005, 01:00 AM
In fact, Oberto was a more prominent member of that team than Ginobili.

"In 1997, when I first saw Manu, the best player on the team at that time is now joining our team,"
wow that's very interesting R.C. because we are on the same boat on this. Manu might have become the most popular Argentine NBA player today, but I've been intrigue while watching Oberto's play in the World, Pre-Olympics and the Olympics, and I really like his game. then he dropped 28 pts vs. Divac in the World:wow. His passing and polished low post moves are good...then his defense on Tim in the Olympics:cry made me so frustrated bec i really wanted the U.S. team to win but I began to respect him. ....I wondered why the Spurs concentrated just on Argentina's Scola, who's been tied on a big contract w/ Tau when obviously their team captain & center Oberto can be a good addition to the Spurs team too!

hope he'll contribute immediately. We have to make another record: a repeat.

T Park
08-03-2005, 01:11 AM

To a team with a huge cap space, and get draft picks in return?!?!?

More than likely.

Dex
08-03-2005, 01:15 AM
I wondered why the Spurs concentrated just on Argentina's Scola, who's been tied on a big contract w/ Tau when obviously their team captain & center Oberto can be a good addition to the Spurs team too!

See CIA. See CIA work. Work CIA, work!

DesiSpur_21
08-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Not if you have to pay him Dampier money -- which it will cost if he has a big year this season.

Oberto, if he plays well in the NBA, can buy you three or four years at the position. Then Mohammed can be re-signed at a lesser rate. That'd give you two quality centers that should be around for much of the rest of Duncan's prime.

So essentially Oberto has to outplay Nazr the whole season to bring Nazr's market value down :rolleyes and then Spurs can sign him for reasonable money ? :lol Nice...

timvp
08-03-2005, 01:41 AM
So essentially Oberto has to outplay Nazr the whole season to bring Nazr's market value down :rolleyes and then Spurs can sign him for reasonable money ? :lol Nice...

No, Oberto just has to start. If Nazr goes out and averages 12 and 8 next year, you can kiss him goodbye.

TheTruth
08-03-2005, 01:43 AM
RC likes him???

Nuff said.

Sold.

Welcome Fabri!!!
I'll agree with that.

TheTruth
08-03-2005, 01:45 AM
An interesting thing about this article is it doesn't even mention Rasho.

That or Monroe realizes that PT is going to be close to non existent if Rasho does stay.

Mr. Body
08-03-2005, 02:42 AM

Good eye, timvp. I noticed that, too (good eye for me as well).

That was the glaring sentence in the whole thing. Maybe accidental, him not mentioning Rasho, but what an omission!

Horry For 3!
08-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Good eye, timvp. I noticed that, too (good eye for me as well).

That was the glaring sentence in the whole thing. Maybe accidental, him not mentioning Rasho, but what an omission!
As well as I did too. I always have thought that the Spurs are going to trade Rasho this year but we'll have to see if they really do it.

DesiSpur_21
08-03-2005, 07:06 AM
As long as Rasho doesn't end up with Lakers,Pistons,Suns and (Nets??) I am okay with it.

Jimcs50
08-03-2005, 08:47 AM
What is the status on Scola?

Anyone?

picnroll
08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Spurs have Horry, Oberto, Duncan and Rasho committed for the next three years or longer. If they trade Rasho and free up cap space they may well use it to sign Nazr. That's four bigs one way or another after this year. Any bigs added beyond that are at low cost. I'm willing to bet they won't bring Scola at any significant cost, i.e., money to offset a buyout so Scola either comes when his contracts up or his rights get traded. As of now he expects to play for Tau next year according to interviews.

Jimcs50
08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Spurs have Horry, Oberto, Duncan and Rasho committed for the next three years or longer. If they trade Rasho and free up cap space they may well use it to sign Nazr. That's four bigs one way or another after this year. Any bigs added beyond that are at low cost. I'm willing to bet they won't bring Scola at any significant cost, i.e., money to offset a buyout so Scola either comes when his contracts up or his rights get traded. As of now he expects to play for Tau next year according to interviews.

That blows

picnroll
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
No point in paying a lot of talented plaers to sit at the end of your bench. That's Cuban's style. Better stay in Europe and work on his long range shot the next two or three years. When Horry and Oberto are winding down hopefully Ian and Scola will be there.

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
What is the status on Scola?

Anyone?Im guessing we will not be doing anything with him till next season.

Im pretty content with Oberto, Mohommed, Duncan and Horry for big men.

TDMVPDPOY
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Maybe just maybe we can switch horry to the 3 at certain times when bowen is bench.

Taking it to the Hole
08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I would feel more comfortable if we had at least one more big. I think you can never have too much depth at your big men positions. I would like to see the Spurs make a run for a young, raw, athletic center that can get better over the years. I think Stephen Hunter from Phoenix is a good choice. He has unlimited potential. He just needs to be put in a situation where he can learn from a Duncan, or an Horry. Either that or we go after somebody that fits that description in next year's draft. I don't think Mahinni is the answer at center. I think he still has to work on his game alot more before we bring him over. I think even when that happens, he is still just a PF at best and might be a stretch to play center consistently. I think we need a legit 7-footer and we have time to find one now.

Dingle Barry
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Wish we woulda gone after Stromile Swift, but I guess he really isn't a Spurs type player

FilSpursFan
08-03-2005, 07:37 PM
How long is Scola committed with Tau Ceramica? will he be free of his contract next season? if he is... we could sign him next season free from buyout.. just a thought...