PDA

View Full Version : Cory Joseph..

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Do you guys enjoy watching Cory Joseph play basketball, tbh?..

Brazil
02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
No

timtonymanu
02-01-2014, 11:15 PM
:lol I was on the Cory Joseph bandwagon last year, but that's because Patty was awful last season and Nando isn't an NBA player.

But Joseph was painful to watch tonight. Hurry back, Danny Green, at least. :lol

apalisoc_9
02-01-2014, 11:15 PM
timvp

:lmao

Chomag
02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
No... Man we got some players here that might not even make a d-league team.

jeebus
02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Fuck no. I remember the first game I saw him play in, all hunched over and being clueless. Nothing has changed.

apalisoc_9
02-01-2014, 11:18 PM
lol at people dickriding TIMVP :lmao

playblair
op = notorious cojo hater spreading cojo hate.................. cojo will be needed in the playoffs............ mills 1 & done possessions will not work.......................

Budkin
He's been the most bi-polar player on the Spurs the last few years.

Ice009
02-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I liked his potential on the defensive end, but to answer you question, I'll just say "no".

Chinook
02-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Harlem, it's amazing that we agree on so many Spurs-related things but see completely different things concerning Joseph.

I've enjoyed seeing him play recently. Sure he's erratic and shouldn't be playing as much as he is, but I definitely feel he should continue to start until Green AND Leonard come back.

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Harlem, it's amazing that we agree on so many Spurs-related things but see completely different things concerning Joseph.

I've enjoyed seeing him play recently. Sure he's erratic and shouldn't be playing as much as he is, but I definitely feel he should continue to start until Green AND Leonard come back.

I don't even think Joseph is erratic, tbh, I just hate his complete lack of aggression..he's always hesitant and appears afraid to make mistakes, it makes him way too predictable on offense IMO..

He moves way too slowly IMO..a player like Diaw can still thrive without constant aggression due to his size and natural talent, but a fringe player of Joseph's nature needs to be aggressive and put pressure on the defense..he doesn't do that IMO..

BackHome
02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
I remember when we drafted him everyone one was like why did they draft a late second round player in the first round?

TheGreatYacht
02-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Shannon Brown > Cory Oseph

ElNono
02-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Corey used to look great when Gary Neal and DeColo were getting the bulk of the backup PG minutes... it's not that he regressed, he just never made any strides (unlike Mills). I also think playing with TD/TP it's even worse for him. He's not aggressive by default, but with those two on the floor, he's pretty much invisible.

Texas_Ranger
02-01-2014, 11:45 PM
good that he'll be here for another season....

Chinook
02-02-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't even think Joseph is erratic, tbh, I just hate his complete lack of aggression..he's always hesitant and appears afraid to make mistakes, it makes him way too predictable on offense IMO..

He moves way too slowly IMO..a player like Diaw can still thrive without constant aggression due to his size and natural talent, but a fringe player of Joseph's nature needs to be aggressive and put pressure on the defense..he doesn't do that IMO..

His lack of aggression is a problem. I remember seeing him play live against the Clippers a few years ago, and he had a lot more moxie. He was challenging Chris Paul right in front of me one possession after Pop waived the white flag. Dunno what happened to that confidence.

He's actually not a bad offensive player skill-wise. He has a variety of moves and is actually pretty quick when he starts going. But he acts as if any shot he takes must be at the expense of a better one from someone else. That seems like an easy thing to fix, though. Pop just needs to tell him to act like it's the summer league and just attack whenever he touches the ball.

Mugen
02-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Disappointed with Cory's progression after a solid playoff run last season tbh. His stroke has actually improved since came in the league and you can tell he's worked hard to learn the system but it looks like his ceiling is a Jacque Vaughn type of career which isn't terrible for him. But no, it's not enjoyable to watch.

Splits
02-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Do you guys enjoy watching Cory Joseph play basketball, tbh?..

Is that what you call what he's doing on the court?

Dex
02-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Joseph is an NBA stop-gap. Nothing more.

You can put him out there to play minutes and pretend to be an NBA player. Some defenses may even respect him enough on the court to guard him.

That's pretty much the only value he offers to the Spurs (or any team) at this point.

Leetonidas
02-02-2014, 12:56 AM
He fucking blows, I've never thought this scrub was any good. Dude is the most hesitant mofo I have ever seen on a basketball court

Spursfanfromafar
02-02-2014, 01:00 AM
All I ask for, from Cory Joseph is that he plays well enough to be trade bait. And maybe the Spurs could get a waived Andre Miller or some such. I have seen no improvement from Cory Joseph from his rookie season. Very tentative on offense and good on defense, but overall a minus.

dbestpro
02-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Every year there is something the Spurs do that make you cringe. In the past the combo of Blair and Bonner at the same time was one of times. This year it seems anytime CoJo is on the floor is in the cringe moment for 2014.

DMC
02-02-2014, 01:18 AM
He reminds me of a kid my son used to bring to the house. The kid was shady as fuck, and when adults were around, he always had that same look Joseph has, that "I'm planning something criminal and you don't know what it is". You know how little juveniles get around new adults, they hide behind other kids, they have that smirk that's both uncomfortable and sly, and they try to go unnoticed. Their head hangs a bit like a mutt.

That's how I see Joseph. His game is ragged at best, and I just don't like the guy.

TJastal
02-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Cory Joseph..... blows? How this scrub was bumped ahead of Mills in the depth charts last season is still a mystery to me. It was clear to me by mid-year (last season) that the 2nd unit functioned infinitely better with Mills in the lineup yet Pop buried Mills on the bench in favor of this hunchback. Not that it mattered. Anyone who was paying attention and knows how Pop operates should have known the minute Pop started dicking around with Gary Neal as the point guard that all bets were off and neither one was going to ever see a minute of action in any game that mattered.

Raven
02-02-2014, 07:46 AM
tha answer is no, obviously, but it will be much better when he'll be the full time backup pg with everyone healthy. Now he doesn't have a clue about what he's supposed to do and given that he needs to guard for two he's losing it.

TJastal
02-02-2014, 07:49 AM
tha answer is no, obviously, but it will be much better when he'll be the full time backup pg with everyone healthy. Now he doesn't have a clue about what he's supposed to do and given that he needs to guard for two he's losing it.

So you honestly believe Coblow is going to surpass Mills as the 2nd unit point guard? :lol

Raven
02-02-2014, 07:53 AM
So you honestly believe Coblow is going to surpass Mills as the 2nd unit point guard? :lol

i don't consider mills as a pg. and he's useless in the play offs anyway so yes.

Ice009
02-02-2014, 08:05 AM
He reminds me of a kid my son used to bring to the house. The kid was shady as fuck, and when adults were around, he always had that same look Joseph has, that "I'm planning something criminal and you don't know what it is". You know how little juveniles get around new adults, they hide behind other kids, they have that smirk that's both uncomfortable and sly, and they try to go unnoticed. Their head hangs a bit like a mutt.

That's how I see Joseph. His game is ragged at best, and I just don't like the guy.

Hmm, interesting take.

That's one of the problems with Mills - He's not really much of a point guard at all. He's pretty much a shooting guard. He can't really play PG that well on the NBA level. Mills has worked hard though during the off season and looks like he's putting in the effort to at least try and play defense out there, so I can't fault him for that. He's developed a pretty darn good jumpshot too, and that might be the thing keeping him in the NBA.

Do you guys think he would still be in the NBA if he couldn't shoot? Do you think he could get to the rack consistently if he made a concerted effort to do so? For some reason, it doesn't seem like he has good enough handles to do so.

TJastal
02-02-2014, 08:17 AM
i don't consider mills as a pg. and he's useless in the play offs anyway so yes.

Blah, blah, blah. Heard all that before. We'll see what happens come playoff time.

Raven
02-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Blah, blah, blah. Heard all that before. We'll see what happens come playoff time.

well it happened successfully last year, so i don't know what are you bragging about :lol.. btw i like patty and he made an effort this year to improve his overall strength but that's not enough if you can't guard your opposites which are the twos tbh. He's not a point guard. I prefer him to belinelli though.

superbigtime
02-02-2014, 01:53 PM
i can't believe this canadian trash mongrel got his contract extended. He's a fraidy cat scrub and is a liability with the ball, can't finish, can't dribble, and he hasn't gotten better to my eye.

wildbill2u
02-02-2014, 04:13 PM
He's not going to have any more upside. Spurs made a mistake with this guy. I can't bear to watch him sometimes when he gets beat by an average player and actually stumbles in pursuit. A player his size in this league has to have some outstanding skill set, whether it be shooting, playmaking, or defense. I don't see it in him.

If nothing else, he's living proof that, given a similar talent skill set, a bigger player will always beat a smaller player.

blkroadrunners
02-02-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm still high on him, but it's pretty frustrating how he performs most nights.

Jwash_1986
02-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Spurs wasting picks it's unlike them. All the players that came after Joseph that are producing. Jimmy Butler, Parson and Isaiah Thomas, the first to come to mind.

TJastal
02-03-2014, 02:58 AM
Spurs wasting picks it's unlike them. All the players that came after Joseph that are producing. Jimmy Butler, Parson and Isaiah Thomas, the first to come to mind.

Compounding this loss is all the time and minutes that have been invested into this 1st round bust that could have been going to Patty's (or even Nando's for that matter) development. Not to mention all the time and sleepless nights Pop has obviously gone through trying to construct the "perfect" backup when he should have just gone with what was working (Mills) and put all that effort into far more important endeavors, such as devising more ways to get Splitter and Leonard more involved offensively.

Jwash_1986
02-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Compounding this loss is all the time and minutes that have been invested into this 1st round bust that could have been going to Patty's (or even Nando's for that matter) development. Not to mention all the time and sleepless nights Pop has obviously gone through trying to construct the "perfect" backup when he should have just gone with what was working (Mills) and put all that effort into far more important endeavors, such as devising more ways to get Splitter and Leonard more involved offensively.
I'm with you 100%. For some reason I think with more development Nando could probably be a better player. As for what you saying about the backup guard spot Pop blow that one big time. As years goes on I'm starting to think that in season experimenting with players is holding the team back. Try need a solid 10 players and role with that. All this flip flop shit I'm sure fucks with there confidence. Pop reminds me of one of them old school pimp movies like "The Mack".

CitizenDwayne
02-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Quasimoto is one of the more boring NBA players to watch in recent years. Plus he has displayed minimal skill and an irritating passiveness.

So no.

Zzakk's Garage
02-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Does anyone else miss TJ Ford?
Damn, that guy could fucking play the point.
He was just hitting a kind of perfect nirvana balling zone when he got injured, then retired.
A damn shame.

TJastal
02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
I didn't see last night's game but from the box score I see Pop is using this scrub in Leonard's place in the starting lineup and killing off any remaining trade value he might have had. He's probably essentially untradeable at this point when he probably could have been packaged with a lower pick for legitimate backup for Leonard a month or so ago. More brilliance from Popped...... :lol

Chinook
02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
He played pretty well in the first half, allowed only one score from Gordon. But the Spurs were out of sync then with Duncan and Parker missing easy shots. He was in for the first comeback in the third quarter, and he and Green played tremendous D. But he was also on for that string of Ts and fouls that put the Pelicans up big again, and he didn't play much after that.

Raven
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I didn't see last night's game but from the box score I see Pop is using this scrub in Leonard's place in the starting lineup and killing off any remaining trade value he might have had. He's probably essentially untradeable at this point when he probably could have been packaged with a lower pick for legitimate backup for Leonard a month or so ago. More brilliance from Popped...... :lol

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
He played pretty well in the first half, allowed only one score from Gordon. But the Spurs were out of sync then with Duncan and Parker missing easy shots. He was in for the first comeback in the third quarter, and he and Green played tremendous D. But he was also on for that string of Ts and fouls that put the Pelicans up big again, and he didn't play much after that.

I didn't think his D was great last night, but I'm not going to hold it against him, since he had a size disadvantage all game, tbh..

He also got called for some shitty fouls due to being a no-name player, which tends to happen in the NBA, unfortunately:.

G-Dawgg
02-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Joseph is good. He plays defense, his offensive skills are pretty good. He can drive, hit the mid range and hit 3's on occasion. He seems a tad shy on offense, but that will change in time.

waisman
02-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I want jump shoots to become skillful.
He is good player .
he has good drive and pass .

He forced to do play SG . He is PG . It is no fair .

elemento
02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I still like him tbh

dbestpro
02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
He seemed to get a little better last year when he wasn't crouched over all the time. Now he's back to crouching his game seems to blow. The quasimodo analogy is very apropo.

superbigtime
02-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Cojo should take a backseat to Nando and Brown. Honestly why is he playing?

Timmy4ever
02-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Trade him to Toronto for Austin Dayes

SupremeGuy
02-04-2014, 09:38 PM
CoJo needs to go out there like he's playing in Austin and just ball. His timidity is what fucks him.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-05-2014, 01:42 AM
He is playing better. He was warmed over shit especially right after he lost out to Mills.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I didn't see last night's game lol

Chinook
02-05-2014, 10:52 PM
I thought he was excellent tonight for the most part. He shot when open and showed off some nifty moves on drives. He continues to be a strong defender, especially covering the roll man in the PnR. Looked like a starting two-guard.

He didn't keep the pedal to the medal the whole game, however. That led to him passing up some scoring opportunities (which made Pop only play him situationally), and he checked out on the Wall scores at the end of the first OT.

He was probably fatigued. But tonight showed why Pop still believes in him. If he can reinforce the good and remove the bad, he'll be a hell of a player.

AFBlue
02-05-2014, 11:22 PM
He played with confidence tonight, and tge results were positive. He's a rhythm player that needs to be aggressive and confident with his decision-making in order to be effective. Good game tonight in Tony's absence from the entire backcourt, including young Mr. Joseph.

DMC
02-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Cojo aint nothin' but a old saw buck nigga

Chinook
02-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Stuffed stats in garbage time, but he played well. He had a fine offensive game, only one outside of Green and De Colo who could make things happen. He has tremendous upside.

ElNono
02-06-2014, 10:49 PM
It's much easier for CoJo to play well when the big 3 aren't around. He doesn't feel like he has to defer and actually attacks. He just becomes useless on a regular rotation.

His man to man D is also pretty good, but it's amazing the amount of brain farts he makes rotating on plays. You would think after a long stint with the Toros and almost two seasons with the Spurs, he would have a better grasp.

Raven
02-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Stuffed stats in garbage time, but he played well. He had a fine offensive game, only one outside of Green and De Colo who could make things happen. He has tremendous upside.

that may be a stretch, i like him too and think he can develop nicely in the right situation, but mike conley is his ceiling.

Chinook
02-07-2014, 03:55 PM
that may be a stretch, i like him too and think he can develop nicely in the right situation, but mike conley is his ceiling.
Mike Conley is a top-10 PG and just about the most diverse one in the game. If Joseph were to reach that level, he'd be the PG of the future.

Raven
02-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Mike Conley is a top-10 PG and just about the most diverse one in the game. If Joseph were to reach that level, he'd be the PG of the future.

ceilings are unlikely to be reached.

TJastal
02-07-2014, 04:20 PM
but it's amazing the amount of brain farts he makes rotating on plays. You would think after a long stint with the Toros and almost two seasons with the Spurs, he would have a better grasp.

http://imageshack.com/a/img855/2883/8zgy.png

EVAY
02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Disappointed with Cory's progression after a solid playoff run last season tbh. His stroke has actually improved since came in the league and you can tell he's worked hard to learn the system but it looks like his ceiling is a Jacque Vaughn type of career which isn't terrible for him. But no, it's not enjoyable to watch.

Said it better than I could.

DPG21920
06-01-2014, 11:57 AM
CJ reminds me a lot of Boris Diaw. He plays so soft and unconfident the vast majority of the time and it makes him look like a fringe NBA player. But when he's focused and playing with confidence, he is a very, very serviceable back up PG in the NBA. The funniest thing about it is he only plays confident in the biggest moments (playoffs last year, this year) :lol. It's like he hates the regular season and only wants to play in the playoffs.

He goes from hunchback to standing tall in the post season.

DJR210
06-01-2014, 12:31 PM
This faggot african Ibaka got posterized twice in the Finals.

Malik Hairston
12-03-2014, 10:51 PM
God, I fucking hate watching him play basketball, tbh..

He's a more talented Jacque Vaughn, he would be fine in the era of Spurs/Pistons grind-out basketball, but he's painful to watch in today's era of basketball..

TheGreatYacht
12-03-2014, 10:53 PM
God, I fucking hate watching him play basketball, tbh..

He's a more talented Jacque Vaughn, he would be fine in the era of Spurs/Pistons grind-out basketball, but he's painful to watch in today's era of basketball..
Mills would've made the shots he passed up in OT

timtonymanu
12-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Hurry back, MVPatty.

RD2191
12-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Is a beast.

Brunodf
12-06-2014, 10:35 PM
:tu 13/4/4 in the last 5 games

TheGreatYacht
12-06-2014, 10:53 PM
He played Zach Lavine... That guy makes Nash seem like The Glove

spursparker9
12-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Do you guys think CoJo will be back as a Spur next season?

He is becoming like a Reggie Jackson Lite

Robz4000
12-06-2014, 10:58 PM
No, he won't. Spurs will prolly dangle him out at the deadline for a backup 3/small ball 4. He definitely belongs in the NBA, however.

jeebus
12-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Do you guys think CoJo will be back as a Spur next season?

He is becoming like a Reggie Jackson Lite
Doubt it. Spurs need someone to play behind Enrique and MVPatty. Corey incredibly worse than either of those players and will be looking to get actual playing time.

TheGreatYacht
12-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Shoutout to Robdiaz, Cojo really is a basketball player :tu

Ice009
12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Cory's playing better and better. Keep it up Cory.

Keep playing your ass off on defense and keep working to improve on offense.

RD2191
12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Shoutout to Robdiaz, Cojo really is a basketball player :tu
:bobo

pgardn
12-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Undeniable improvement I never thought was possible.
He is now competent. The kid has worked his tail off and become a decent NBA player.
Corey has played himself into options with other teams if necessary.

Chinook
12-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Cory can drive with the best of them. He just has to commit. Against a scrub like Lavine, even Cory wasn't afraid to take him.

12-06-2014, 11:12 PM
The only thing Patty Mills is better at than Cj is 3 point shooting. That's it.

Malik Hairston
12-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Still hate his game and his style of play is antiquated, but he's looking like a mid-tier backup PG, at least, rather than the D-League scrub of years prior..

He's only going to be useful if Ginoboli isn't playing in the playoffs, though, since he's largely useless without the ball in his hands..

His ceiling is Jarrett Jack IMO..

DarrinS
12-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Undeniable improvement I never thought was possible.
He is now competent. The kid has worked his tail off and become a decent NBA player.
Corey has played himself into options with other teams if necessary.

This

playblair
12-06-2014, 11:40 PM
harlems opinion on cojo = :nope................... cojo = legit back up pg ................

BillMc
12-06-2014, 11:41 PM
I'd like to see Joseph back, he's a better defender than Patty and it's nice to have their different styles as options to go to depending on the needs of the game. That said, they already spent their money on Mills. Doubt we get to keep Joseph.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 12:25 AM
You guys realize Lavine(Joseph's counterpart) dropped 22 and 10, uh?:lol..

Blake
12-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Meh. Cj is fine in his role as third string minimum wage back up.

He's consistent, you know what you're gonna get, nice game manager, Alex Smith etc

DapDaGenius
12-07-2014, 12:55 AM
:bobo

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=42690&dateline=1405389399

100%duncan
12-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Still hate his game and his style of play is antiquated, but he's looking like a mid-tier backup PG, at least, rather than the D-League scrub of years prior..

He's only going to be useful if Ginoboli isn't playing in the playoffs, though, since he's largely useless without the ball in his hands..

Jarrett Jack is not bad for a third string pg tbh

keepinitwill
12-07-2014, 01:16 AM
We need to hold onto him. As a third string PG, he is the best in the league. His play of late makes him a very solid #2. I think with time he could prove himself to be a #1.

Raven
12-07-2014, 11:54 AM
he's having a full breakout season and honestly i wouldn't be too surprised if pop acknowledges it and gives cojo the full timeshare with tony parker.. then again i'm a cojo homer so..

superbigtime
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Cojo is impressing me. I love his consistency and lack of turnovers. 4 and-1's vs TWolves, who wouldn't applaud that.

Ocotillo
12-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Maybe makes Mills expendable in a trade deadline deal

hater
12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Makes very few mistakes. Resembles a young TP. I like

superbigtime
12-07-2014, 03:51 PM
You guys realize Lavine(Joseph's counterpart) dropped 22 and 10, uh?:lol..

That dude looked extremely impressive.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2014, 03:55 PM
You guys realize Lavine(Joseph's counterpart) dropped 22 and 10, uh?:lol..Lottery Pick Plays Well for Shorthanded Lottery Team

Uriel
12-07-2014, 08:46 PM

CoJo is a far better defender than Jarrett Jack, tbh.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 08:54 PM
CoJo is a far better defender than Jarrett Jack, tbh.

His defense has been pretty bad this year, tbh, and he's nowhere near the offensive player that Jack is, that's his ceiling IMO(unless we're judging Joseph by this 18 game sample size, rather than his entire career, which is stupid)..

DPG21920
12-07-2014, 09:23 PM
His defense has been pretty bad this year, tbh, and he's nowhere near the offensive player that Jack is, that's his ceiling IMO(unless we're judging Joseph by this 18 game sample size, rather than his entire career, which is stupid)..

Cory has shown up pretty big in big moments (i.e. Big 3 out, a playoff game) already, but I do think this current 18 games should be weighted much more heavily. It's really hard to judge young role players when they go long stretches with no minutes. It's hard to tell what players like him can do when they aren't given consistent minutes.

I'm not griping about him not getting minutes, just making a point. This is the most consistent stretch of PT he's ever had with the Spurs and it should be valued more since he's doing things consistently with expanded minutes.

pgardn
12-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Oh yes, exactly the same speed.
The young man has done a great job with his physical gifts which don't come close to Parker's.

Anyone who has sat on the floor and watch Parker knows.
What the hell were you on when watching young Tony Parher?

DPG21920
12-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Cory's defense is hands down better than Jacks too. Despite a few hiccups defensively this year, he's been fine overall and has solid upside there. If he continues to work on his 3PT shot and that becomes more reliable and his finishing at the rim isn't a fluke, he's a better Mario Chalmers.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 10:01 PM
:lol no..

A PG that is shooting 24%(:wow:wow) from 3 is essentially useless off the ball and will be useless in the playoffs, especially since he won't be handling the ball with Manu on the floor..

Joseph would be fine if we were in 2007, but we aren't..guards that can't shoot are liabilities, especially nowadays..

DPG21920
12-07-2014, 10:10 PM
:lol no..

A PG that is shooting 24%(:wow:wow) from 3 is essentially useless off the ball and will be useless in the playoffs, especially since he won't be handling the ball with Manu on the floor..

Joseph would be fine if we were in 2007, but we aren't..guards that can't shoot are liabilities, especially nowadays..

He's already had some very good playoff moments and seems to be ok stepping up. He needs to work on his 3PT shot, like I said, and if he can turn into a credible 3PT shooter he can raise his ceiling quite a bit.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Of course he would, but you could say that about many, many players:lol..

Inability to shoot from outside for a guard is a massive flaw..not to mention that he isn't a good playmaker like a Parker or Rondo(and obviously doesn't possess their ability, regardless)..

Johnny RIngo
12-08-2014, 01:26 AM

Yeah, if TP had shitty handles and mediocre speed/quickness.

Diego20
12-08-2014, 07:41 AM
CJ dribble skill > PM dribble skill.

PM 3 POINT SHOT > CJ 3 POINT SHOT

Houston, we have a problem here.

FireMicoHalili
12-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Looked at all 29 teams and it seems only the Lakers need a backup. Those guys don't have any desirable assets either, aside from the draft pick they won't part with. Oh, and Cleveland, which might be a great destination since Delly isn't that good and he shares the same agent with Tristan Thompson. I doubt they'd part with Haywood's contract or that the Spurs need it.

kobyz
12-08-2014, 11:54 AM
He's becoming the type of player i thought he would be before he got drafted, i saw in him someone like Delonte West...

Yuixafun
12-09-2014, 12:59 AM
I like what I saw from him last game... he seemed poised and in control.

He's become mid tier.

Seems like he is a big game guy that will make some crucial plays, like a Trevor Ariza back when was with the Lakers.

ceperez
12-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Of course he would, but you could say that about many, many players:lol..

Inability to shoot from outside for a guard is a massive flaw..not to mention that he isn't a good playmaker like a Parker or Rondo(and obviously doesn't possess their ability, regardless)..

CoJo has a reliable mid-range jumper. He just hasn't proven that he's a good 3 point shooter. But his stats show that he's improved in this department.

My problem with CoJo is that he doesn't know how to run plays!! He just doesn't seem to have the basketball IQ.

DPG21920
12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
CoJo has a reliable mid-range jumper. He just hasn't proven that he's a good 3 point shooter. But his stats show that he's improved in this department.

My problem with CoJo is that he doesn't know how to run plays!! He just doesn't seem to have the basketball IQ.

I disagree. I think that is something he does pretty well; getting the team into their sets efficiently.

ElNono
12-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Agree. Especially when we're not running the basic motion sets. But, I think he has improved on that since the start of the season, and I also think he sometimes is too scared to screw up, don't know if it's basketball IQ related at this juncture.

concan1
12-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Cojo is nothing but a 3rd string point guard at best. We lost another game with him in control. This will be his last season with the team.

RD2191
12-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Cojo is nothing but a 3rd string point guard at best. We lost another game with him in control. This will be his last season with the team.
Lol, calm down son.

Johnny RIngo
12-09-2014, 11:40 PM
This will be his last season with the team.

Hopefully. His inability to run the offense or spread the floor makes him a liability in our team. Just a bad fit.

ElNono
12-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Cojo is a bit like Danny in previous seasons... he plays better at home than on the road... it's a natural part of growing up, tbh...

KL2
12-09-2014, 11:42 PM
I view Cojo as basically a rookie, he's been with the team for a while, but lack of playing time and confidence has really held him back, he's changed this year. He's gonna have some bad games this year, but will ultimately wind up a better player, and anything is better than his contributions last year.

Hoops Czar
12-10-2014, 02:13 AM
CoJo - 30 minutes - 0 assists. Useless pathetic playmaker!!!!

Malik Hairston
12-10-2014, 04:02 PM
CoJo - 30 minutes - 0 assists. Useless pathetic playmaker!!!!

Yep..I haven't seen many PGs that have worse court vision and playmaking ability, tbh..

He's a SG in a PG's body, but can't shoot:lol..

Raven
12-10-2014, 05:31 PM
it was a weird game, he totally deferred to gino, he wasn't agressive at all. He is better than that.

downunder
12-11-2014, 12:46 AM
I think this blog is for Spurs fans who have no team loyalty despite that team being a champion team. I am a Mills fan yet when Cory plays I support him. He is PART of a team. In the Cavs game you saw another Aussie, Matthew Dellavadova step up for his team. He wont be an Allstar but gives all. Look what James said about him .

Cory is a great competitor. Good Luck to him. a worry is Manu's inconsistent shooting !!!

Mr Bones
12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
"Cory Joseph (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6446/cory-joseph) entered the game as the only player averaging at least eight points, two rebounds and two assists in less than 20 minutes per game. He had nine points, five rebounds and six assists in 35 minutes..." (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578614)

Not bad for a 3rd string PG.

Maddog
12-11-2014, 10:53 AM
"Cory Joseph (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6446/cory-joseph) entered the game as the only player averaging at least eight points, two rebounds and two assists in less than 20 minutes per game. He had nine points, five rebounds and six assists in 35 minutes..." (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578614)

Not bad for a 3rd string PG.

Well, he was playing against a D League Team....

Mr Bones
12-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Well, he was playing against a D League Team....

This is the standard Spurstalk reaction. If they'd lost, everyone would be pissed. But they won while sitting four of their top players, and people say, well the Knicks aren't very good. What do you want from their 3rd string PG? Does he have to turn into a combination of Oscar Robertson, Clyde Frazier, and Magic before you're willing to say, "hey, good job on the win...."

timtonymanu
12-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Get this terrible player off the Spurs.

Johnny RIngo
12-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Get this terrible player off the Spurs.

He can take Parker with him too. Both are horrible, horrible point guards

Malik Hairston
12-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Cojo, smh..

Malik Hairston
12-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Cojo is playing great down the stretch, I'll give him credit, tbh..although it's against the Lakers, to be fair:lol..

Malik Hairston
12-12-2014, 11:54 PM
If the Spurs win this game, I'm officially a fan of his, tbh:lol..

playblair
12-12-2014, 11:56 PM
props for becoming a believer harlem.................

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 12:07 AM
I said fan, not believer:lol..

He has to make consistent 3s for me to become a believer..

Raven
12-13-2014, 12:29 AM
damn he is such an awesome player... can lock down anybody down the stretch and is showing increased balls every game. He needs to knock the open 3 though, then he'll be a true asset.

jeebus
12-19-2014, 09:08 PM
I'd rather have Errors running the point

RD2191
12-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Cojo scrubbing it up, tbh. Stull not his fault though. Plenty of spurs sucking lately.

ElNono
12-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I really want to like him, but his highs are not that high and his lows are pretty damn terrible, tbh...

Not his fault we're missing the starting and backup PGs though...

Malik Hairston
12-19-2014, 09:21 PM
I really want to like him, but his highs are not that high and his lows are pretty damn terrible, tbh...

I don't understand why so many Spurs fans like his game, though, tbh:lol..

He plays like a 90s, slow-pace backup PG..

TheGreatYacht
12-19-2014, 09:29 PM
God dammit I really hate Joseph... His unability to run point makes guys like Danny Green create, and it's a disaster.

timtonymanu
12-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Joseph would fit much better with the Grizzlies.

I hate his style of play on the Spurs.

Malik Hairston
12-19-2014, 11:30 PM
His inability to play PG or space the floor kills spacing, along with forcing Ginobili to play extended minutes at PG(which kills him)..

Patty doesn't pass like a PG either, but he spaces the floor and opens up an entire section of the floor, at least..

RD2191
12-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Dude's not the reason we're losing games but he's too inconsistent.

Malik Hairston
12-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Dude's not the reason we're losing games but he's too inconsistent.

I don't think he's the reason the Spurs are losing, at all, but he doesn't have a significant impact on a game IMO..

He also can't play with Manu, clearly..

DMC
12-19-2014, 11:35 PM
A 3rd string PG doesn't need to be consistent as a starter.

Malik Hairston
12-19-2014, 11:49 PM
A 3rd string PG doesn't need to be consistent as a starter.

According to many here, he's a solid backup and potential starter, though:lol..

I agree he's an elite 3rd string backup, and a mid/bottom-tier backup PG..

The point of this thread was that I hate his style of play, which I stand by today, nothing has changed..

DMC
12-19-2014, 11:53 PM

The point of this thread was that I hate his style of play, which I stand by today, nothing has changed..
He's had his moments but they are few and far between. He's been in the league long enough to have shown more than he has, but he's done some things that have impressed me (namely facial against the Thunder when our team needed an emotional boost in a loss).

I'd take Mills over him 10 times out of 10, but as a 3rd string, he's serviceable. Expecting him to be consistent is like expecting Reggie Jackson to carry the Thunder to wins sans Acne and Alpha. If either were reasonable expectations both would be playing larger roles on other teams.

playblair
12-20-2014, 10:44 PM
doubters r u cojo believers now ...........................

Malik Hairston
12-20-2014, 10:59 PM
doubters r u cojo believers now ...........................

14 points on 15 shots and only 2 assists against one of the 5 worst defensive teams in the NBA, tbh:lol..

Solid 3rd string PG, though..

ceperez
12-21-2014, 08:41 AM

I'm in agreement with you here. He's not an impact player. I also had thought that he would be great defensively, unfortunately, he just doesn't have the required length.

Anderson definitely has a lot more potential. Sure, guards sometimes blow by him, but in terms of positional defense, he does make a difference.

dabom
12-21-2014, 09:38 AM
3rd string pg is taking flack for these loses. lol. I think he is the best 3rd string pg in the game. Who would the spurs replace him with?
Get rid of the turd trio. belli errors and dayes. alsodrop bonner. These guys are worse than cojo.

elemento
12-21-2014, 09:45 AM
It's pretty simple. If he had a reliable 3p shot, he would have been at least G.Hill.

I like him, but his lack of shooting simply kills him in Pop's offense.

Malik Hairston
12-21-2014, 10:02 AM
3rd string pg is taking flack for these loses. lol. I think he is the best 3rd string pg in the game. Who would the spurs replace him with?
Get rid of the turd trio. belli errors and dayes. alsodrop bonner. These guys are worse than cojo.

Who is blaming him for losses?

PingPong
12-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Just a 3rd string player. Nothing more.

dabom
12-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Who is blaming him for losses?

Shut up faggot!

cd98
12-21-2014, 10:23 AM
He's not a bad player. His mid range shot is pretty good and he plays decent on the ball defense and is a terrific rebounding guard. He's not a starter in this league, but he shows promise as a back up. He's definitely grown as a player. I wasn't sure he could play in this league, but he's proven me wrong. He'll never be a starter, but he can be a high end backup who can guard both backcourt positions.

littlecoyotecoin
12-21-2014, 11:26 AM

Ice009
12-21-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm actually getting off the bandwagon. Harlem has convinced me that he's not much better than a third stringer.

I'm most disappointed with his defense, which is the reason I've been in his corner for so long. I thought he had the defensive potential to be much better than he's shown this season. He doesn't seem up to the challenge of trying to stop the best PGs in the league.

I'm not too fussed with his offense, as that is not the reason I wanted him to play. I thought he could be a very, very good defender, but he just hasn't shown it much this season or really improved and taken it to the next level like I thought he would with this extra court time to start the season.

playblair
12-26-2014, 08:46 PM
cojo = amazing ability to get to the rim & finish....................... cojo doubters will become believers.........................

ceperez
12-27-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm actually getting off the bandwagon. Harlem has convinced me that he's not much better than a third stringer.

I'm most disappointed with his defense, which is the reason I've been in his corner for so long. I thought he had the defensive potential to be much better than he's shown this season. He doesn't seem up to the challenge of trying to stop the best PGs in the league.

I'm not too fussed with his offense, as that is not the reason I wanted him to play. I thought he could be a very, very good defender, but he just hasn't shown it much this season or really improved and taken it to the next level like I thought he would with this extra court time to start the season.

I agree with you here. I though he was supposed to have stellar defense. Not happening with his lack of length and apparent lack of quickness.

-21-
12-27-2014, 08:35 AM
He hustles, he plays hard, and he's fearless. I love him but unfortunately he isn't talented enough to be a consistent back-up.

playblair
12-28-2014, 09:14 PM
cojo:toast................

Malik Hairston
12-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Solid game, a lot more tolerable when Mills is out there with him for spacing/shooting, tbh..

RD2191
12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
He hustles, he plays hard, and he's fearless. I love him but unfortunately he isn't talented enough to be a consistent back-up.
Permaban.

Cry Havoc
12-28-2014, 09:35 PM
This team is going to be a monster when healthy. I've had my doubts about CoJo, but dude stepped it up bigtime tonight and could be another big piece of a deep playoff run.

Malik Hairston
12-28-2014, 09:40 PM
I wish he was more consistent with his outside shot, so that he could take Belinelli out of the rotation, tbh:lol..

Ice009
12-28-2014, 10:30 PM
I wish he was more consistent with his outside shot, so that he could take Belinelli out of the rotation, tbh:lol..

Yeah, that would really unlock his game.

What do you guys think about his driving and finishing ability that he's showing lately. I'm really liking him getting to the rack and finishing. He's worked hard and it's showing in games. Do you guys think he should try to drive to the rack and look for his own offense a bit more?

look_at_g_shred
12-28-2014, 10:33 PM

What do you guys think about his driving and finishing ability that he's showing lately. I'm really liking him getting to the rack and finishing. He's worked hard and it's showing in games. Do you guys think he should try to drive to the rack and look for his own offense a bit more?
He has the strength to finish for sure. I wish he wouldn't deter. Kind of reminds me of eric Bledsoe.

ElNono
12-28-2014, 10:41 PM

That has always been his strength... But we rarely do ISO, and he doesn't have good court vision yet in case the lane closes for the kick out... He would be better doing cuts off the ball, which is easier with Patty spacing or even initiating the offense...

ajh18
12-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Really like the Patty/Cojo pairing. They're a bit small, but good handles between them and a nice blend of shooting, defense, and driving. Put them out there with a good passing big like Diaw, and you've got a nice start for a second unit.

Even better, leave a Kawhi or Danny out there to guard any of the other team's top wing scorers and let Patty cheat off on the least skilled scorer in the backcourt.

FkLA
12-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah, he's surprisingly turned into a pretty good finisher. If he improves his shot we are probably looking at the guy that kicks old ass Enrique to the curb a couple years from now tbh.

Chinook
12-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Really like the Patty/Cojo pairing. They're a bit small, but good handles between them and a nice blend of shooting, defense, and driving. Put them out there with a good passing big like Diaw, and you've got a nice start for a second unit.

Even better, leave a Kawhi or Danny out there to guard any of the other team's top wing scorers and let Patty cheat off on the least skilled scorer in the backcourt.

Eh, Manu would be the SF in that unit, so there'd be no room for Green/Leonard. Don't forget Baynes, though. He'd be good as a bruiser/finisher in that unit.

Ice009
12-28-2014, 11:01 PM
That has always been his strength... But we rarely do ISO, and he doesn't have good court vision yet in case the lane closes for the kick out... He would be better doing cuts off the ball, which is easier with Patty spacing or even initiating the offense...

I'm pretty sure in the last game or the game before against the Clippers, they said Cory has really been working on his finishing. I can't remember the exact quote as I was upset with the game, but they said something along the lines of finishing in the NBA is very, very hard and Cory's been working on it with the coaching staff a lot this season.

It may have been a strength of his before the NBA (if that's what you're saying), but he hasn't really been consistently good at it until this season in the NBA.

ducks
12-28-2014, 11:03 PM
he needs to add the three ball to his game

Johnny RIngo
12-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm honestly surprised the Joseph/Mills lineup was so effective on offense AND defense. Any lineup that keeps Marco out of the game is okay with me.

Ice009
12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
he needs to add the three ball to his game

True, I can't argue with that.

What about TP though, he still hasn't added that shot to his game. I thought he should have consistently added it to his game around 2010 onwards. I thought they were gradually building up to that when they first got Chip in 2006 or so. I've said it numerous times and I still feel the same, it's bordering on negligence that they didn't make the 3 point shot a part of Parker's arsenal years ago. It would have helped offset some of the decline in his later years when he gets older. He might not be in this situation now where he's almost useless if he doesn't have a decent amount of speed.

ducks
12-28-2014, 11:16 PM
tp and mills worked in past

tp and cojo need to take the three point shot

there was games where co jo was wide open for a three and he did not take it
tp usually does especially in the corner if he is shooting ok that game

FromWayDowntown
12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

lefty
12-29-2014, 03:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

EVAY
12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
True, I can't argue with that.

What about TP though, he still hasn't added that shot to his game. I thought he should have consistently added it to his game around 2010 onwards. I thought they were gradually building up to that when they first got Chip in 2006 or so. I've said it numerous times and I still feel the same, it's bordering on negligence that they didn't make the 3 point shot a part of Parker's arsenal years ago. It would have helped offset some of the decline in his later years when he gets older. He might not be in this situation now where he's almost useless if he doesn't have a decent amount of speed.

I think that they are finally getting TP to be a three point shooter. It is obvious that he is not that comfortable shooting it, and he will never be the quick-release type of three point shooter that Green or Bellinelli is, but he is better at it than he has been.

Reason he hasn't developed it before this, I believe, is that his role was always to penetrate into the paint and either take the shot or have the defense collapse on him and then kick it out to the three point specialists. That was his job. He was hardly ever in a position to shoot a three pointer, so it wasn't something that they cared about him developing. Kind of like Duncan not really being considered a three point shooter. He can do it, but it is not his 'thing'. The Spurs' offensive sets were built around Tony penetrating the paint.

I honestly think that the Spurs trying to get Kawhi more into a post threat offensively is one of the reasons that they have Tony taking threes more this year. The attempts to have Kawhi as a primary offensive threat have met with some odd sequences from the team and a lot of turnovers, but if Kawhi is 'on the post' or driving, someone has to be on the three point line (where Kawhi would have been in years past), and that is why Tony has 1) been in that position and 2) taking the shots.

Question is how they will play it all out once (and if) everyone gets back to health.

I don't think the team ever has gotten quite comfortable with their early attempts to have the offense focus around Kawhi, and I don't know how that will play out for the rest of the season (assuming everyone gets healthy) since we don't have much room for error in the win-loss column.

boutons_deux
12-29-2014, 05:48 PM
"It is obvious that he is not that comfortable shooting it"

:lol

It's obvious that the Pop's plan is, when there is a scrum in/near the paint, for TP to drift to the corner for the kick-out 3G.

TP shooting 61% 3G is OBVIOUSLY UNCOMFORTABLE! :lol

ElNono
12-29-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure in the last game or the game before against the Clippers, they said Cory has really been working on his finishing. I can't remember the exact quote as I was upset with the game, but they said something along the lines of finishing in the NBA is very, very hard and Cory's been working on it with the coaching staff a lot this season.

It may have been a strength of his before the NBA (if that's what you're saying), but he hasn't really been consistently good at it until this season in the NBA.

Nah, I mean he's always been really good driving to the basket and finishing... the main complaint about him has been his poor playmaking, court vision, over dribbling, etc.. he's been a solid heroballer, but the Spurs normally also need a good passer and pick & roll player from that position... he's young though, he can only get better... last night for example he had a great pass to TD out of a P&R... it was a rarity, but hopefully becomes a trend...

EVAY
12-29-2014, 06:03 PM
"It is obvious that he is not that comfortable shooting it"

:lol

It's obvious that the Pop's plan is, when there is a scrum in/near the paint, for TP to drift to the corner for the kick-out 3G.

TP shooting 61% 3G is OBVIOUSLY UNCOMFORTABLE! :lol

Oh simmer down, B-D. I know TP's offensive percentages inside and out. My point is: watch the man take threes. He may MAKE them at a higher rate this year than any year in his history, but he is studied about it...you can watch him kind of gather himself, set himself, and then pointedly think about what it is going to take to make the shot.

The best hope I had for the development of his three pointer was the one time this season that he came down the court with time running out and took and MADE a running three pointer from well behind the line. That would NEVER have happened in the past.

Ability and comfort are two different things. He is not yet comfortable with his three point shooting, but he is getting better and it may develop into something consistent. I hope so.

ajh18
12-29-2014, 06:12 PM

I remember this also. I think it was after the Clippers game though, one of the more recent ones. They said Cory has been really working on his finishing because layups in the NBA are not easy, and he accepted the coaches basically re-teaching him how to use the rim and make layups around post defenders.

Richie
12-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Joseph needs to improve his 3 point shot. Too often he is wide open but hesitates and opts to drive in to traffic.

I like his hustle on defence and at 6'3" with a nearly 6'6" wingspan he has the size and length to defend most point guards. You don't get many bigger point guards and if we need a bigger defender we should opt for Green or Kawhi.

I think we should be exploring trades, but I doubt there's much market for one considering the depth of the position league-wide. We should look for a team with a few decent overseas assets for a trade. I'd offer Joseph to the Bucks for Inglis.

Ice009
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
I remember this also. I think it was after the Clippers game though, one of the more recent ones. They said Cory has been really working on his finishing because layups in the NBA are not easy, and he accepted the coaches basically re-teaching him how to use the rim and make layups around post defenders.

Glad someone else heard it, unfortunately I don't recall everything they said. Cory was not finishing this good in previous seasons, no way. He's really improved this season, a lot, IMO. I disagree with ElNono about his driving and finishing, the rest of what ElNono said though, he's right about.

Malik Hairston
12-30-2014, 10:35 PM
I have to look into the numbers, but it seems like his defense has fallen off a cliff this year, tbh..

Cloud786
12-31-2014, 12:57 AM
I have to look into the numbers, but it seems like his defense has fallen off a cliff this year, tbh..

Uhh that's generally expected considering he's guarding an All-Star caliber point guard every game

Malik Hairston
12-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Uhh that's generally expected considering he's guarding an All-Star caliber point guard every game

:lol so he was only considered a "standout defender" because he was guarding opposing scrubs?

FkLA
01-03-2015, 11:15 PM
This little nigga has grown on me. Played through an illness too. Glad he didn't take the the typical Enrique route of playing like shit in the first half and sitting the second when he's feeling sick. Glad not every PG on the team is a pussy. :tu

HI-FI
01-03-2015, 11:24 PM
This little nigga has grown on me. Played through an illness too. Glad he didn't take the the typical Enrique route of playing like shit in the first half and sitting the second when he's feeling sick. Glad not every PG on the team is a pussy. :tu
CoJo is a tough dude. I liked him since he was a Longhorn but really appreciate how fearless he is, which I still think that dunk on Ibaka was a pivotal moment. His skills are catching up to his confidence. Glad to have him and MVPatty to offset Enrique.

benefactor
01-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Spurs need to feel out his trade value before he walks for nothing. Maybe Denver bites for Wilson Chandler? They need a real backup PG going forward and they probably don't want to pay Chandler again. Spurs need another true combo forward with the questions surrounding Kiwi. Chandler's final year is only 2 million guaranteed too, so if doesn't work out the Spurs can let him walk.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k7lu4h3

Beaverfuzz
01-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Get some good trade bait for him.

T Park
01-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Yup one point guard's health is questionable so the best idea is to trade the young up and coming point.

Great ideas.

benefactor
01-03-2015, 11:46 PM
Yup one point guard's health is questionable so the best idea is to trade the young up and coming point.

Great ideas.
Well if Parker doesn't make it back it's not doable, obviously. He'll walk for nothing in the offseason though. Spurs already paid Patty to be the backup PG and they need another combo forward if they are going to even think about competing in the playoffs. A trade for Chandler works for both teams.

Ice009
01-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Well if Parker doesn't make it back it's not doable, obviously. He'll walk for nothing in the offseason though. Spurs already paid Patty to be the backup PG and they need another combo forward if they are going to even think about competing in the playoffs. A trade for Chandler works for both teams.

Interesting. I really don't want to trade Cory, but a combo forward like Chandler is interesting and something that should definitely be considered. How is he playing this season? Have you watched any of their games? How is his defense?

Godbama
01-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Great ideas.
Isn't that literally what got us Kawhi, lol?

Richie
01-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Spurs need to feel out his trade value before he walks for nothing. Maybe Denver bites for Wilson Chandler? They need a real backup PG going forward and they probably don't want to pay Chandler again. Spurs need another true combo forward with the questions surrounding Kiwi. Chandler's final year is only 2 million guaranteed too, so if doesn't work out the Spurs can let him walk.

Interesting. I really don't want to trade Cory, but a combo forward like Chandler is interesting. How is he playing this season? Have you watched any of their games? How is his defense?

I really like Wilson Chandler, he's Denvers glue guy, but I don't see why Denver does this with Lawson tied up for a couple more years. If CoJo had a year on his deal like Hill did then maybe, but they won't want to pay him this summer since they're already looking at $80m for a lottery team.

If we could get a first rounder for CoJo I'm trading him before the deadline. Otherwise keep him til the summer and let him test the market, maybe we bring him back cheap and he is a tradeable piece going forwards.

Johnny RIngo
01-04-2015, 12:07 AM

Never listen to TPark's takes. Needs to be posted for posterity:

Ayers is a better bigger Malik Rose. Been saying this for a while. Really really excited about this kid. When Diaw goes back to soft offensively, I'd play him down the stretch in smaller situations. Great rebounder.

Ice009
01-04-2015, 12:07 AM

LOL.

I have no idea why TPark randomly turns up and starts posting after being away for long stretches.

Chinook
01-04-2015, 12:16 AM
Lol you trade Mills before Cory. Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?

Hoops Czar
01-04-2015, 12:16 AM
LOL.

I have no idea why TPark randomly turns up and starts posting after being away for long stretches.

George Hill wasn't a point guard.

Ice009
01-04-2015, 12:19 AM
George Hill wasn't a point guard.

Neither is Patty and Cory wasn't much of one until recently showing some signs. What's you're point. It doesn't stop the Spurs from listing them as PGs.

I think if the Spurs had to trade one, I think they'd trade Cory first. Interesting topic though. Cory's getting better and better.

Hoops Czar
01-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Neither is Patty and Cory wasn't much of one until recently showing some signs. What's you're point. It doesn't stop the Spurs from listing them as PGs.

But, he wasn't a point guard and couldn't run the offense. He was also the only tradeable asset at the time. I'm not sure what your point is about Patty or Cory. The Spurs aren't trading either.

FkLA
01-04-2015, 12:33 AM
I love me some MVPatty but if Joseph ever develops even a decent three-point shot he'll be the better player. He'd be a decent starting PG 2-3 years from now with the way Enrique is declining.

benfti
01-04-2015, 12:40 AM
It's a hard one, Cory has been good, but it's only this first 3rd of a season vs a lot of not so good. Patty is just getting his feet back after a long layoff, and let's face it, he was a MASSIVE part of why we got 5, not jut the finals but all year. It's no coincidencewe are playing much better now he is back.

Its ts a great problem to have but I'm starting to think it's not great for either to have both behind Tony, and if one of them can improve the team in another area via trade, well.....

Id hate to see Patty leave because I think he is massive for team chemistry so it would be Cojo if it was up to me.

benefactor
01-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Mills is locked up on a cheap deal. Do you really want to risk losing both?

Chinook
01-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Mills is locked up on a cheap deal. Do you really want to risk losing both?

Cory is a RFA next summer. There's very little risk in losing him if they want to keep him. In fact, the Spurs could probably keep him from even talking to teams if they traded Mills.

benefactor
01-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Cory is a RFA next summer. There's very little risk in losing him if they want to keep him. In fact, the Spurs could probably keep him from even talking to teams if they traded Mills.
:lol...come on now. He's played well enough to test the market...and why wouldn't he? The Spurs window is closing and with him playing the best ball of his career he's going to be looking to get paid. He could easily either force the Spurs to overpay him or let him walk by signing a good sized offer sheet from a PG needy team. He would be flat stupid not to test the market.

T Park
01-04-2015, 08:51 AM

Lol yeah cause they won't compete when healthy this year....

T Park
01-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Corey isn't restricted. Spurs declined to offer another year so completely unrestricted.

Richie
01-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Corey isn't restricted. Spurs declined to offer another year so completely unrestricted.

No he's restricted, this year is the last year of his rookie deal just like Kawhi.

benefactor
01-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Lol yeah cause they won't compete when healthy this year....
Well of course they will compete if they are healthy, but Leonard's hand issues are worrisome. I guess pulling the trigger on a trade like this would depend on how bad it actually is. The Spurs are keeping info on it close to the vest so no one really knows the truth about it.

Richie
01-04-2015, 09:09 AM

Joseph will certainly cost more than Mills, we only got a good deal on Patty because he had his shoulder injury. Also Mills has shown what he can do on the biggest stage, 14 points in the 3rd quarter of a close out Finals game showed that.

I'm not really sure which of them would be best to keep. I suppose without Ginobili you may need someone like Joseph who can run a team better, but I'd expect Kawhi to take over most of Manu's ball dominance when he retires. If that's the case, Mills' shooting off the ball is probably a better fit.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that we shouldn't rush the decision and should bring Joseph back next year. That'd kill any shot at a big time free agent though. Of course that is assuming nobody throws too much money at him, but I think that's unlikely considering most teams are set at the PG position.

jeebus
01-04-2015, 09:39 AM
:lol Scrub goes off in one game where no defense was played and now people want to get rid of Tony and MVPatty. this team is a 1st round exit with Corey as the starting PG

tholdren
01-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Great ideas.

Mr Bones
01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm trying to think of it from Cory's perspective: he'll definitely get offers this summer, and the chance to possibly start somewhere. He was lucky this year getting increased playing time with injuries to Mills and Parker, both both are locked into contracts and if they're healthy next year, there will be fewer minutes available. It's a good problem to have-- three good PGs-- but I doubt it can work financially. But I wonder how much other teams will be offering... will they view him more as a player benefitting from the Spurs' system than as an individual talent? Probably.

EVAY
01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm trying to think of it from Cory's perspective: he'll definitely get offers this summer, and the chance to possibly start somewhere. He was lucky this year getting increased playing time with injuries to Mills and Parker, both both are locked into contracts and if they're healthy next year, there will be fewer minutes available. It's a good problem to have-- three good PGs-- but I doubt it can work financially. But I wonder how much other teams will be offering... will they view him more as a player benefitting from the Spurs' system than as an individual talent? Probably.

Based on what I'm seeing this year, I wonder if the team might not try to put Cory and Patty in the backcourt together as the second unit guards. Patty is really too small to defend most 2's, but he is not known for his defense anyway, and he is such a great energy player, that I think it might work. This is, of course, assuming that Manu retires, which I happen to think he will do at the end of this season.

jyra
01-04-2015, 05:28 PM

He has really done a great job catching and driving instead of holding the ball. I wonder when teams will start giving him the TP treatment and sag off him to force him into more long shots.

Malik Hairston
01-04-2015, 05:41 PM
^^NBA teams don't game-plan much during the regular season(as many coaches have admitted), so I don't think you'll see any of Joseph's major flaws exposed until the playoffs, depending on his role at the time..

barakz21
01-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Iirc, cojo's always been able to drive to the rim in seasons past, but yeah, his finishing's been really great this season.

Ice009
01-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Iirc, cojo's always been able to drive to the rim in seasons past, but yeah, his finishing's been really great this season.

That's the whole point. It's not easy finishing in the NBA and that's what he's been working on with the coaches all season. You're right, he could drive to the rim before, but his finishing wasn't that great until this season. I'd say his work on finishing at the NBA level is really paying off so far.

barakz21
01-04-2015, 10:15 PM
That's the whole point. It's not easy finishing in the NBA and that's what he's been working on with the coaches all season. You're right, he could drive to the rim before, but his finishing wasn't that great until this season. I'd say his work on finishing at the NBA level is really paying off so far.

Yup, I thought he had good enough speed and decent enough handles to get to the rim. Finishing was another story though. Not so much this year. Hopefully his shooting will also improve..

Chinook
01-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Cory was really good a circus finishes last season. Honestly, what's changed this season is his confidence on drives. Dude would never have had a game against Wall like last game before this year.

cd021
01-04-2015, 11:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that is not is a valid trade. It works in terms of salary but Denver has 15 players on its roster. they would have 17 players. They would have to waive Erick Green and Alonzo Gee prior to that deal. Gee is getting paid about $1,000,000 in guaranteed money for this season. They would have to include a 3rd team which makes any trade harder.

playblair
01-10-2015, 09:02 PM
cojo haters :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Malik Hairston
01-10-2015, 09:03 PM
cojo haters :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I've been sold for a few weeks, tbh, crazy improvement in his confidence..

hater
01-10-2015, 09:05 PM
he's possibly my favorite Spur. Most hardworking of the bunch tbh

he's the PERFECT backup PG. PERFECT. I'm starting to think he could start in many teams now....

spurraider21
01-10-2015, 09:32 PM
he's been coming along really nicely this season

FkLA
01-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Honestly if he keeps it up Im going to buy his jersey. Little nigga is all heart. Probably our starting PG in 2-3 years. Chip needs to start working on his shot, once he develops that he'll be a solid starter tbh.

Malik Hairston
01-31-2015, 11:21 PM
Sucks for Joseph and the team, tbh..

He made serious improvements this year, but his development and impact has been stunted by the return of Enrique Parker..would have loved to see what he could do at PG with Kawhi's return..

timtonymanu
02-08-2015, 09:29 PM
+19. Was a big part of the Spurs going on a run.

Doesn't see any more minutes the rest of the game because :cry Enrique needs his rhythm.

dabom
02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
+19. Was a big part of the Spurs going on a run.

Doesn't see any more minutes the rest of the game because :cry Enrique needs his rhythm.

I called this scenario long time ago. Atleast replace tony with cojo and not a cold patty mills. We know cojo is already having a great game.

Mikeanaro
02-08-2015, 11:29 PM
At this point he deserves the starting spot he may not be flashy but at least he plays teamball, Cory is young and improving, not getting fatter and declining those are different things folks.

playblair
02-22-2015, 02:58 PM
playcory:bang:bang...................... cory benched = spurs struggling........................

unleashbaynes
02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
When Patty is cold you gotta go with Cory.....dunno what he did to Pop to have his PT cut so drastically tbh.

Johnny RIngo
02-22-2015, 03:22 PM
When Patty is cold you gotta go with Cory.....dunno what he did to Pop to have his PT cut so drastically tbh.

French Josh Smith is the reason why Cory's been kicked out of the rotation.

playblair
04-08-2015, 08:31 PM
cojo = earned playoff rotation spot.....................

RD2191
04-08-2015, 08:38 PM
cojo = earned playoff rotation spot.....................