PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here work everyday of the week?

apalisoc_9
02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking of working sunday's with a buddy of mine for about 6-7 hours. I currently work 6 days a week plus go to school..I usually get at least 3-4 hours of week of study so it's not really that big of a deal. I don't have a problem with the current setting since my current job is outfield and I usually just dick around at least half of the time...It's not mentally stressful.

What's it like working 7 days a week?

lil'mo
02-02-2014, 03:44 PM
what a stupid ass question

RD2191
02-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Just during harvest season and it sucks tbh. You lose track of time and shit.

DeadlyDynasty
02-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm thinking of working sunday's with a buddy of mine for about 6-7 hours. I currently work 6 days a week plus go to school..I usually get at least 3-4 hours of week of study so it's not really that big of a deal. I don't have a problem with the current setting since my current job is outfield and I usually just dick around at least half of the time...It's not mentally stressful.

You will burn yourself out, regardless of what you do, and either your work or studies will become affected--maybe both. Keep it to 5 days, maybe 6 if you're truly cash-strapped. Be grateful you have gainful employment at such an age. Other posters here (i.e. thispego) weren't as lucky in that regard.

CuckingFunt
02-02-2014, 07:44 PM
You will burn yourself out, regardless of what you do, and either your work or studies will become affected--maybe both. Keep it to 5 days, maybe 6 if you're truly cash-strapped.

This. No matter how good your intentions, you'll start to see your homework/study time as an opportunity to get a bit of rest or recharge.

Wild Cobra
02-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Damn near everyday. I work 6 days a week, 50-54 hrs/week. We are so f'n short of people it's crazy. Not hiring though because it's cheaper to pay overtime than the extra Obamacare.

Rogue
02-02-2014, 09:04 PM
if you spend only 3-4 hours each week studying you'll probably be stuck in these jobs for lifelong I'm afraid. Thrift is a great revenue so I don't like to buy such an idea that students have to spend that much time working because they're financially tight. Just kick the bitch out of your life and move back to the dorm or your parents' house, and you'll be surprised at how much time & money it's gonna save you in the long run.

Rogue
02-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Though it'd a completely different story if you only take those part-times as a means of gaining experience in your profession, like my nigga m>s did back in his college days.

apalisoc_9
02-02-2014, 11:56 PM
You will burn yourself out, regardless of what you do, and either your work or studies will become affected--maybe both. Keep it to 5 days, maybe 6 if you're truly cash-strapped. Be grateful you have gainful employment at such an age. Other posters here (i.e. thispego) weren't as lucky in that regard.

This. No matter how good your intentions, you'll start to see your homework/study time as an opportunity to get a bit of rest or recharge.

yeah, this is definitely my main concern right now. I still have two years left of studying...My other job allows me to go take leaves during exams week though, but I haven't crammed with school for years I honestly don't know if I could do it again. Leaning towards not doing it. Appreciate it..

Damn near everyday. I work 6 days a week, 50-54 hrs/week. We are so f'n short of people it's crazy. Not hiring though because it's cheaper to pay overtime than the extra Obamacare.

Damn..Is that an office job? I worked at the animal conservation centre in the city and I hated every damn second..It wasn't a lot of work, but seating on a desk was torture.

if you spend only 3-4 hours each week studying you'll probably be stuck in these jobs for lifelong I'm afraid. Thrift is a great revenue so I don't like to buy such an idea that students have to spend that much time working because they're financially tight. Just kick the bitch out of your life and move back to the dorm or your parents' house, and you'll be surprised at how much time & money it's gonna save you in the long run.

I don't take the full load man. I only take 21 credits every year so It's not too much of a hassle..I'm not in a hurry.

I told you before I moved back with my old folks man, but they made a terrible financial decision years ago so they're paying crazy amount of money on Mortages..I help them pay for it...and I generally pay for my schooling of my pocket ( Canada education is so much cheaper)..

My GF helps me financially bro..but yeah I think I do spend a good amount of money going out with the bitch.:lol

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I can't imagine working 5 days a week, let alone 7:wow..

DeadlyDynasty
02-03-2014, 12:24 AM
My hope is that with this year abroad, coupled with the projected earnings of Avante's picks, I can retire with a nice nest egg.

Chomag
02-03-2014, 02:29 AM
I work 6 days a week, and so many times I wish I had at least 1 extra day to get personal things done so I couldn't imagine working every day a week all the time. I mean, if you don't have time for a little bit of a life then whats the point no?

DMC
02-03-2014, 09:14 AM
I'd be lying if I said I work even 25 hours on most weeks.

Spur|n|Austin
02-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Hell nah; I ain't no sweat shop laborer.

TE
02-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Work 5 days / 30 hours a week. Decent living imo

Wild Cobra
02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Do you claim to be one of the 99%'ers?

Wild Cobra
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Damn..Is that an office job? I worked at the animal conservation centre in the city and I hated every damn second..It wasn't a lot of work, but seating on a desk was torture.
No, I stand by for when the equipment breaks during operations. Much of my time is put to use by sitting on my ass watching movies on my laptop. Gets hard to sit that long!

FkLA
02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
You only study 3-4 hrs a week? What are you majoring in tbh.

McGusto55
02-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Monday- friday..weekend off 40 hours a week

Rogue
02-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I once worked 7 days in a row and it wasn't that exhausting imho. The toughest part was the 5th and 6th days but after that you'd get kinda used to it, and you'd feel rather strange when you finally get your day off. That's why I'd prefer a more flexible working schedule like DMC's.

apalisoc_9
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
You only study 3-4 hrs a week? What are you majoring in tbh.

I only take about 18-21 credits a year. 3-4 hours is the time I study every week plus my boss allows me to go on leave during exam week...

That's really enough time..

I'm on my second year going on third next semester..Doing finance.

I'm going to work with my mom :lol a year from now though..Just to get experience in my field of study.

FkLA
02-04-2014, 11:18 PM
I only take about 18-21 credits a year. 3-4 hours is the time I study every week plus my boss allows me to go on leave during exam week...

That's really enough time..

I'm on my second year going on third next semester..Doing finance.

I'm going to work with my mom :lol a year from now though..Just to get experience in my field of study.

Must be a different system in Canadia tbh. 12 hours here is considered a full time student so 18-21 hrs is actually a lot even if you're not working at all.

apalisoc_9
02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Must be a different system in Canadia tbh. 12 hours here is considered a full time student so 18-21 hrs is actually a lot even if you're not working at all.

yeah 12 hours is considered full time for one semester. I'm taking 18-21 hours/credits in two semester...(one year overall)

are you sure it's 12 hours a year? that's like 4 courses in one year..Surely that can't be full time.

TE
02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
:lolyeah, fuck that, can't imagine working Saturdays or Sundays. For now, I can only work 5 days / 30 hours a week. My yearly salary is good enough for now.

FkLA
02-04-2014, 11:26 PM
yeah 12 hours is considered full time for one semester. I'm taking 18-21 hours/credits in two semester...(one year overall)

are you sure it's 12 hours a year? that's like 4 courses in one year..Surely that can't be full time.

Yeah it's per semester. For some reason I completely overlooked the party where you said per year. Even with just 3 classes a semester though no way could I work 7 days a week.

CosmicCowboy
02-05-2014, 07:35 AM

They have really dumbed it down. When I was in college I'm pretty sure 12 hours was considered part time. 16-18 hours a semester was the norm. Hell, I took 21 per semester for the first two years to burn through the mandated crap, but I only worked in the summers. I pretty much payed for the rest of the year in three months in the summer as a framing contractor in homebuilding.

apalisoc_9
02-05-2014, 10:29 AM
They have really dumbed it down. When I was in college I'm pretty sure 12 hours was considered part time. 16-18 hours a semester was the norm. Hell, I took 21 per semester for the first two years to burn through the mandated crap, but I only worked in the summers. I pretty much payed for the rest of the year in three months in the summer as a framing contractor in homebuilding.

I think the economy and job opportunities has a lot to do with it. It was a lot easier to get student jobs then or whatever other jobs in the summer than it is now. Not to mention the pay was somewhat better. Nowadys, you can't pay of your tuition fee of your pocket without working during school days. Just imagine a student working for 12 dollars an hour for 21 hours a week, that's not really enough to cover you bills let alone pay for your tuition.

It's a lot tougher now tbh. I don't know why old folks continue to consider it as dumbing down..

JudynTX
02-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I work for two felines, and yes it's an everyday job.

Leetonidas
02-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Damn bro, I already go to school full-time while working 36+ hours on the 4 days I'm not at school while working out 3 times a week and I feel like I barely have free time. I bought The Last of Us days ago and have played it for like an hour total so far :lol

If you can manage it go for it but imo focus most on school. I'm in a position where I have to work so if you can get away with not working extra and still living decently then do that because it will keep you focused and less run down for class

Rogue
02-05-2014, 07:49 PM
I think it makes a whole lot of difference if you work part-timely in the industry or area that's closely related to your profession, than if you work at wal-mart as a cashier or shit. Working as an apprentice or intern in your profession can be pretty much seen as an extension of school education and would only do good to your future career, while working at starbuck or wal-mart wouldn't deliver no benefit but that in the financial form.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-05-2014, 08:10 PM

:lol 12 hours a semester is a total joke. If I could do it all over again I would have taken 18+ every semester (instead of 15, never took 12 :lol) and turned my minor into another major or just finished early.

Employers also hate people who only take 12 a semester because they're basically wearing a sign that says, :crymulti-tasking and budgeting my time is really hard:cry

BUMP
02-05-2014, 08:39 PM

You'll be able to handle it, if you're focused. Problem is that other stuff (oil change, cleaning your room, diet, etc.) starts to get neglected, atleast that was my problem anyway. My last semester of college I took 17 hours while working some (probably not as many hours as you though)

also, it can sometimes be really hard to sleep when you're so busy (like DoK said before) since you need time to wind down at night

apalisoc_9
02-05-2014, 10:19 PM
:lol 12 hours a semester is a total joke. If I could do it all over again I would have taken 18+ every semester (instead of 15, never took 12 :lol) and turned my minor into another major or just finished early.

Employers also hate people who only take 12 a semester because they're basically wearing a sign that says, :crymulti-tasking and budgeting my time is really hard:cry

Because everyone has similar financial needs, responsibilities etc..right?

I take 12 a semester and Work part time. I don't think I ever complained..I know a couple in similar situations, and they're not complaining. Not everyone has serious connections. I need to work extra hours everyday just to get by financially...Cosmiccowboy had the option to work every summer, confident that he'll get one..You can't say the same shit in todays economy..

BUMP
02-05-2014, 10:44 PM
tbh in your situation I wouldn't worry. If it ever comes up in an interview, all you have to do is say you had to work through college and then problem solved.

Nbadan
02-06-2014, 02:07 AM
I've worked 7 days a week for about 2 years now....it's not too bad if you can take 'strategic' days off to rest and recoup every now and then....the worst part are holidays and emergencies...

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Because everyone has similar financial needs, responsibilities etc..right?

I take 12 a semester and Work part time. I don't think I ever complained..I know a couple in similar situations, and they're not complaining. Not everyone has serious connections. I need to work extra hours everyday just to get by financially...Cosmiccowboy had the option to work every summer, confident that he'll get one..You can't say the same shit in todays economy..

I wasn't talking about people like you :lol, I was talking about 12 hours a semester and don't work