PDA

View Full Version : I'll be the first to say

phxspurfan
02-03-2014, 10:00 PM
...that Patty Mills will be a star in this league in 2 years. Dude just needed some coaching and playing time. We're seeing it already this year. He wants the ball in the clutch, wants to shoot, and *tries* to play good D. And really, most "stars" in the NBA today only have to look like they're at least trying on the defensive end before they get the ball again, chuck it and do the 3 goggles.

So yeah, Patty will develop some more ball handling skills and be a star in a couple years on the Spurs, or some other team. Book it.

RD2191
02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
:lmao

cjw
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Love it

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-03-2014, 10:24 PM
the little fucker has Heart tbh..

blkroadrunners
02-03-2014, 10:26 PM
If only he was a playmaker..

wtgspurs
02-03-2014, 10:27 PM
MVPatty!!!

Seventyniner
02-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Patty's ceiling is a 6MoY candidate, like Jamal Crawford with better D. Actually, any D at all is better than Crawford's.

freetiago
02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Mills is a middle class mans Nate Robinson

hes worked on his ball handling which lets him rub off guys on the screens really well to get his mid range shots off
but hes a quick player and he needs to learn how to get to the rim as a ball handler if he wants to be a consistent scorer

weeks
02-03-2014, 11:02 PM
all heart. love the guy. from towel waver to backup pg, earned.

Budkin
02-03-2014, 11:13 PM
So glad to see him getting time.

Tuddy
02-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Good spot up shooter, pulling up off the dribble if the defense closes out hard and in the open court. Can't get shots for others or finish at the rim in the half court.

Cry Havoc
02-03-2014, 11:23 PM
The best thing Mills has going for him is his attitude. Guy just loves the game and doesn't care what role you put him in as long as he's there to help the team. One of my favorite Spurs. I don't necessarily think he'll be a superstar, but he could be a solid mid-tier starting PG or a scary 6th man off the bench if he continues this trajectory. He's got to work on his ability to be a facilitator, though. Right now he's fairly easy to predict.

timtonymanu
02-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Ehh.. he's probably 6th man at best. We'll see how he develops from here though.

Hoops Czar
02-03-2014, 11:50 PM
A win over New Orleans ecstasy. Mills will never be a star. At best, hes a backup SG for a good team and a possible starter for a bad one.

Chinook
02-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Love Mills, but he's probably not going to even play in the post-season. He'll also be on a new team next year, most likely.

Ice009
02-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Love Mills, but he's probably not going to even play in the post-season. He'll also be on a new team next year, most likely.

Ahh, Tim and Tony both really like him, and I read that they asked the FO to keep him around longer than this season. If they want him, then I doubt he is going anywhere. I think it would have to be a very favorable trade for the Spurs for them to let him go.

crc21209
02-04-2014, 12:08 AM
If only Mills would've played like this during last seasons Finals run. I think he could've bought TP a little more rest and could've given us more than what CoJo did. This seasons Mills would've hung with Cole in the Finals...

Boomersgold
02-04-2014, 12:16 AM
A scoring point guard with no discernible defense being a star in the league? That's never happened before *cough* Parker *cough*.

On a serious note, I think Patty's defense has improved significantly from last season. Of all the Spurs point guards, Patty currently leads the group in defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions). Interesting to note is that Parker has the worst defensive rating. His ceiling is a starting point guard on a playoff, but not championship contending, team.

*realgm.com

Defensive Rating

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Mills_Patty_sas_1314.jpg (http://www1.realgm.com/player/Patty-Mills/Summary/1632)
Patty Mills (http://www1.realgm.com/player/Patty-Mills/Summary/1632)

Cory Joseph (http://www1.realgm.com/player/Cory-Joseph/Summary/7108)

Tony Parker (http://www1.realgm.com/player/Tony-Parker/Summary/268)

Chinook
02-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Ahh, Tim and Tony both really like him, and I read that they asked the FO to keep him around longer than this season. If they want him, then I doubt he is going anywhere. I think it would have to be a very favorable trade for the Spurs for them to let him go.

I'm sure they'd keep him on a one-year deal. Probably willing to give him a fair bit of cash. But I can't see a multi-year deal. He has next to no value to the post-Big Three Spurs. He's not a PG and won't be able to masquerade as one after Manu leaves. He also won't be worth the cap space he'd take up.

phxspurfan
02-04-2014, 12:30 AM
With more than 30 mpg he could easily average 15-16 points and 4-5 assists, 2 steals. Like a Jameer Nelson type.

DMC
02-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Patty is not even a 6MoY candidate at his best. He's too small and cannot get to the rim on his own. He's a good addition to the bench since he brings energy but let's be real.

Hoops Czar
02-04-2014, 12:41 AM
With more than 30 mpg he could easily average 15-16 points and 4-5 assists, 2 steals. Like a Jameer Nelson type.

He's NOT a PG. He's a shooting guard in a PG's body. He hasn't learned how to lead an offense yet. I'm not even sure he's capable.

TD 21
02-04-2014, 01:04 AM

I know you have some bizarre obsession with Joseph, but until or unless he proves otherwise, he's absolutely going to play in the playoffs and there's no good reason to think he won't re-sign, too. He's well liked, he likes the team, he's a good fit, they have plenty of financial flexibility (not that he's going to cost a ton) and with how concerned they are with resting players, he'll get roughly 15 mpg as the backup.

Mikeanaro
02-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Go Patty!

JohnRambo
02-04-2014, 01:07 AM
:toast phx spur fan too.

Chinook
02-04-2014, 01:19 AM
I know you have some bizarre obsession with Joseph, but until or unless he proves otherwise, he's absolutely going to play in the playoffs and there's no good reason to think he won't re-sign, too. He's well liked, he likes the team, he's a good fit, they have plenty of financial flexibility (not that he's going to cost a ton) and with how concerned they are with resting players, he'll get roughly 15 mpg as the backup.

Parker's not playing 33 MPG in the playoffs. He played 36 with blowouts last year. I've already said he's only a good fit through next season. He's not going forward and probably isn't worth the flexibility.

And I said nothing about Joseph in this thread. He's kind of peripheral to the Mills issue for the time being.

lefty
02-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Our best PG tbh

Embedded
02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Well, the sample size is small (1 Summer), but if that's any indication of how much work he will put in to improve his game, he might have a higher ceiling than any of us thought. I love the guy, I do want him to not stop and admire his work when he hits a big shot, that's gotten him into trouble with Coach Popovich when he's late running down the floor and his man scores on the opposite end.

Raven
02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
he'll never be a star.

Mugen
02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
:lol this is one of the worst takes i've seen so far this season and I'm a big Mills fan tbh.

SupremeGuy
02-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Mills is a middle class mans Nate Robinson

hes worked on his ball handling which lets him rub off guys on the screens really well to get his mid range shots off
but hes a quick player and he needs to learn how to get to the rim as a ball handler if he wants to be a consistent scorerInteresting take, and I think I agree.

hsxvvd
02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I first saw him in an exhibition game against New Zealand and my mate and I knew right away he was special. He made everyone else on the court look like they were playing in slow motion.

Guy has improved every year since, and it was great to see him land in San Antonio. Sky is the limit for Patty, but a glance at his career stats including this year, and he statistically hasn't shown much improvement.

On a bad team, he could easily avg 20ppg if given the shots and minutes like Isaiah Thomas or even Kemba.

Drom John
02-04-2014, 04:13 PM
From Friday's ESPN Chat

Drom John (Macon, GA)

Patty Mills has the best WS/48 of any PG born in Australia. How much is that the Spurs & Cavaliers rather than the players?
Kevin Pelton (4:19 PM)

Patty's always rated well on a per-minute basis, so I don't think this is a case of him getting too much credit for the Spurs defense in Win Shares.

What's not in Pelton's answer is any mention of Kyrie Irving.

daslicer
02-04-2014, 05:47 PM
He reminds me of Darrell Armstrong without the great dunking ability.

TD 21
02-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Parker's not playing 33 MPG in the playoffs. He played 36 with blowouts last year. I've already said he's only a good fit through next season. He's not going forward and probably isn't worth the flexibility.

And I said nothing about Joseph in this thread. He's kind of peripheral to the Mills issue for the time being.

Who said I was talking about the playoffs? Good fit through next season or not, like I said, he's not going to cost a ton nor is he likely to get anything more than 2 year deal. So if he has another year left at something like $2M, post Duncan/Ginobili, big deal. It's easily movable and wouldn't hurt their flexibility (you've got to be at a cap floor anyway) going forward.

I know, but in an indirect way, it was about paving the way for Joseph to have a permanent spot in the rotation.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
PG is typically takes the longest to develop so it does bear out that Mills has a good amount of growth potential. He has improved significantly. I guess its easier for most to be curmudgeonly.

superbigtime
02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
A star? you'd be the last to say it too. How bout just settling for best Aborigine NBA player EVER.

Uriel
02-04-2014, 09:32 PM
:lol BNSF

hsxvvd
02-05-2014, 04:56 AM
A star? you'd be the last to say it too. How bout just settling for best Aborigine NBA player EVER.

best and only.

exstatic
02-05-2014, 08:43 AM
best and only.

Nathan Jawai.

hsxvvd
02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Nathan Jawai.

Jawai is a Torres Strait Islander... so technically Mills is still the only.

Mills' Mum is aboriginal, Dad from Torres Strait.

phxspurfan
02-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Patty shittin on all the haters today

phxspurfan
04-11-2014, 12:17 AM
bump :]

phxspurfan
08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
bump again, for all the haters.