02-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Lol at anyone who disagrees..

:lol

timtonymanu
02-03-2014, 10:35 PM
:lol hater

RD2191
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Belli should never get the start over a healthy Green. I think Pop panicked since the offense was sucking so bad but as we can all see it really failed miserably. I take defense over offense any day. Marco is a great bench player. He is really missing Manu though.

wtgspurs
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Greatest Offense is Defense, i agree : )

itzsoweezee
02-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Like i said, Green is an elite defender. One of the best in the league. If you don't see that, I seriously doubt your ability to appreciate basketball

Texas_Ranger
02-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Like i said, Green is an elite defender. One of the best in the league. If you don't see that, I seriously doubt your ability to appreciate basketball

An elite defender doesn't jump on every single pump fake tbh. I do think he's a top 3 defender on the team but definitely no elite.

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Beli would kill Green in a 1 on 1 game and he's obviously much more entertaining, which appeals to casual fans, but only a complete moron would think Beli is a better team basketball player than Green, tbh:lol..

Hopefully Green can find his shot again, we saw how valuable he was last season when his shot was on, tbh..

timtonymanu
02-03-2014, 10:47 PM
An elite defender doesn't jump on every single pump fake tbh. I do think he's a top 3 defender on the team but definitely no elite.

Take Green out of the GS series and Curry probably destroys us in the later games. He does fall for pump fakes, but he's deinitely an elite defender, especially against PGs. The Spurs struggled with those kind of players before Green came along and after Bowen left.

look_at_g_shred
02-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Is it a surprise the first game back we get the stops we couldn't get late in games while he was out? Not to mention his rebounding was sorely missed, and it showed tonight. I'm glad he's back! His D is more valuable than some here think. #greenmachine

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't think Green is an elite defender, he struggles to fight through screens which occasionally leads to a late recovery and jumping at the fakes, but I'd say he's a great perimeter defender, the best on the team, tbh..

RD2191
02-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Green also played excellent defense on CP3 when they swept the Clips a couple of seasons back.

Prime Time
02-03-2014, 10:56 PM
I feel like Green is mainly an elite defender only when matched against point-guards. I currently can't think of any other player who shuts down Curry/CP3 nearly as well.

exstatic
02-03-2014, 10:58 PM
The Spurs have missed Danny's rebounding, especially on the defensive end. Both he and Manu are plus rebounders for guards.

itzsoweezee
02-03-2014, 11:00 PM
I feel like Green is mainly an elite defender only when matched against point-guards. I currently can't think of any other player who shuts down Curry/CP3 nearly as well.

He guarded Lebron when matched against him in the finals about as well as any player can.

freetiago
02-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Greens jumping at pump fakes is a good thing tbh..
he tries to run guys off the 3 and force the mid range shot
most guys in the NBA cant shoot the mid range well even if theyre wide open

Danny Green is the perfect example of it himself
shoots better from 3 then he does at the rim or from mid range

rather have Danny flying at guys and getting them off the 3 point line then Marcos nonchalant close outs that lead to open 3s

Prime Time
02-03-2014, 11:04 PM
He guarded Lebron when matched against him in the finals about as well as any player can.
Yeah, that's fair. Especially in the fast-break.. man Green was amazing in the first 5 games.

But overall I'd rather have Kawhi or Boris guard LeBron before Green does.

Texas_Ranger
02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
If Danny Green is ELITE then I expect him to make 1st or 2nd NBA Defensive team... The word ''elite'' was for Bruce Bowen and Duncan back in the days and Danny Green is not close to that level...

Oh and Steph Curry was playing with like 70% in the playoffs against the Spurs.

Prime Time
02-03-2014, 11:18 PM
If Danny Green is ELITE then I expect him to make 1st or 2nd NBA Defensive team... The word ''elite'' was for Bruce Bowen and Duncan back in the days and Danny Green is not close to that level...

Eh, in order for Green to be in either of the all-defensive teams he'd have to be a Top 2 defender in his position. I mean, Thabo only made it once.. and he's one of the most quality defenders around.

But I get what you're saying. I still don't consider Green a complete star-stopper (That's more of Kawhi's job..), but he does have a history of containing/shutting down some of the best Point-Guards in the league. He at least deserves credit for that.

Chinook
02-03-2014, 11:22 PM

Curry was 3-19 against Green before he got hurt.

Green isn't going to make an All-Defensive team because it's up for a vote, and voters value steals and blocks highly
That's why Paul and Bryant can make it as gamblers. Green may not be elite, but he sure as hell is a lot better than people realize. That pump-fake stuff is nonsense.

Texas_Ranger
02-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Like I said I consider Danny a very good defender, just behind Kawhi and Tim on the team. The only thing that bothers me is the word elite. The Bulls also have this thing with Jimmy Butler who's a good defender, but everyone is overrating him so now people think he's way better than he really is.

Juggity
02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Danny's fast break defense is definitely elite. I've rarely seen anyone who is better at slowing and stopping fast breaks often by himself. But I agree that he has issues in other areas on D — he does have a tendency to fly past his man, struggles through screens, etc.

Ultimately, when he's on the floor the spurs become a much better defensive team. He brings energy to the table — this was clear even going back to his first 10-day contracts when he was called up from the D-League in 2011. What the spurs need right now is energy.

Hoops Czar
02-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Dogs > cats

ElNono
02-03-2014, 11:46 PM
As a said a while back, Belli's career was saved by Gino. It's not surprising to see the Ferrari looking like a Fiat without his bro out there. Fortunately, Manu will make him look good again soon enough, tbh...

tim_duncan_fan
02-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty much always on DG's bandwagon. Soooo glad to see him back.

Hoops Czar
02-03-2014, 11:52 PM
As a said a while back, Belli's career was saved by Gino. It's not surprising to see the Ferrari looking like a Fiat without his bro out there. Fortunately, Manu will make him look good again soon enough, tbh...

Not defensively. When those two shared the court, it was probably some of the worst defense seen in the Duncan era.

ElNono
02-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Not defensively. When those two shared the court, it was probably some of the worst defense seen in the Duncan era.

Gino is still about average on D when he tries, which is pretty impressive for a 36 year old. But yeah, they more than make up for it on offense.

Ice009
02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Belli should never get the start over a healthy Green. I think Pop panicked since the offense was sucking so bad but as we can all see it really failed miserably. I take defense over offense any day. Marco is a great bench player. He is really missing Manu though.

I agree with you here. Hopefully Pop watched the Superbowl. I always take great defense over great offense. If you're not going all out defense, then you gotta have a balance of offense and defense by trying to be in the top 5 of both. Phil Jackson's teams may not have been the best defensive teams, but they were usually in the top 5 for defense to go along with a top 5 offense. No matter how good your offense is, I don't think you can have a worse than top 5 defense IMO and expect to win a Championship. Hopefully Pop realizes this. If the Spurs end up being in the top 5 in both offense and defense going into the playoffs, or able to reach those levels in the playoffs and stay there consistently, then I think they will have a shot.

HI-FI
02-04-2014, 12:05 AM

The PR Firm

ElNono
02-04-2014, 12:09 AM
The PR Firm

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

Boomersgold
02-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I'd take Bellineli over Green in a heartbeat. Playmaking, dribbling and passing > slightly better defense. Both are reliable three point shooters.

RD2191
02-04-2014, 12:28 AM
I'd take Bellineli over Green in a heartbeat. Playmaking, dribbling and passing > slightly better defense. Both are reliable three point shooters.
:lmao:lmao

RD2191
02-04-2014, 12:30 AM
I agree with you here. Hopefully Pop watched the Superbowl. I always take great defense over great offense. If you're not going all out defense, then you gotta have a balance of offense and defense by trying to be in the top 5 of both. Phil Jackson's teams may not have been the best defensive teams, but they were usually in the top 5 for defense to go along with a top 5 offense. No matter how good your offense is, I don't think you can have a worse than top 5 defense IMO and expect to win a Championship. Hopefully Pop realizes this. If the Spurs end up being in the top 5 in both offense and defense going into the playoffs, or able to reach those levels in the playoffs and stay there consistently, then I think they will have a shot.
I think rebounding is still their Achilles heal, tbh. Getting Kawhi back should def help with that though.

TD 21
02-04-2014, 12:40 AM
I think rebounding is still their Achilles heal, tbh. Getting Kawhi back should def help with that though.

In the regular season, when Splitter is a serviceable rebounder and Ayres is a rotation player (until now?), they're more than fine, when healthy. In the playoffs, when Splitter turns into a pathetic rebounder and Ayres is highly unlikely to see anything more than spot minutes, it's a question mark.

But the Achilles heal is three-point defense. Since somewhere around the mid-point of last season, they've been amongst the worst in the league. Luckily, they don't give up that many attempts, but still. Since they're last in the league in free throw attempts and turn it over at a league average rate, they need to win the three-point line in order to beat elite teams in the playoffs.

Chinook
02-04-2014, 01:47 AM
But the Achilles heal is three-point defense. Since somewhere around the mid-point of last season, they've been amongst the worst in the league. Luckily, they don't give up that many attempts, but still.

Those two things are related. They don't give up a high volume of threes because they close out well enough to stop most attempts. All the critique of Green "falling for pump-fakes" is based on the strategy that Pop tells his whole team to employ. The Spurs encourage long twos, and they give those up instead of threes when they're actually playing up to their potential. But if they allow a three attempt, it's usually a good look, which leads to a higher percentage. Green and Leonard are elite at guarding the three, while Duncan and Splitter are horrible at it (even for their position).

ezau
02-04-2014, 04:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgAbo6IJB_A

Who the fuck does this against Lebron? Fucking amazing, tbh.

Kidd K
02-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Beli would kill Green in a 1 on 1 game and he's obviously much more entertaining, which appeals to casual fans, but only a complete moron would think Beli is a better team basketball player than Green, tbh:lol..

Hopefully Green can find his shot again, we saw how valuable he was last season when his shot was on, tbh..

Probably, but it's a 5 on 5 game and only has one basketball which shouldn't be in Marco's hands all that often.

kobyz
02-04-2014, 05:19 AM

i'll take Green, dfference of heaven and earth better defense, much better role playing ability, much more reliable three point shooter, bigger balls > fancy ball handling and passing but not effective, empty stats...

Brazil
02-04-2014, 06:20 AM
:lol Elite

Anyway only retards would say dat dude > Green

DapDaGenius
02-04-2014, 08:00 AM

TJastal
02-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Green may not be the best in the league but he's right up there in the top 5 somewhere. And what I think bumps him up a notch more is the versatility. Very few have had the success he has had against some the best in the league at so many positions.

wildchild
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Curry was 3-19 against Green before he got hurt.

Green isn't going to make an All-Defensive team because it's up for a vote, and voters value steals and blocks highly
That's why Paul and Bryant can make it as gamblers. Green may not be elite, but he sure as hell is a lot better than people realize. That pump-fake stuff is nonsense.

Agree. Curry finished with only 32.4%FG against Green, before he turned his ankle in 4th quarter of game 3.

People seem eager to forget Green's work last playoffs.
These guys don't realize how good on-ball defender is Danny and the impact he makes on Spurs defense, they just don't get the recognition he deserves.

However, it isn't hardly surprising, some fans love scorers-big offensive players, don't care about defense. Defensive players get underlooked/underappreciated by those fans, good defense is just impossible to notice.

Raven
02-04-2014, 09:10 AM
i have about 200 bumps to make tbh.. i'd rather just say that:

:lol hater :lol benefactor

silverblackfan
02-04-2014, 09:16 AM
I don't know. At this point, I prefer Green in the starting line up due to the glaring defensive need. Both guys can get hot and cold apparently, but Green has his defense to hang his hat on. Marco is much more clever with the ball and is a genuine threat when he catches it due to his passing and shooting. They both bring great options to the Spurs, but Green has much more familiarity with the team defense than Marco.

I guess my question for the OP is: would you rather have the Danny Green from his first year here instead of Marco?

wildbill2u
02-04-2014, 09:18 AM
At least Bellinelli can make some layups. Watching Green try to make a layup is like watching a giraffe on ice-skates. You cringe and want to help the poor beast do something foreign to his nature.

dbestpro
02-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Green is a better SF than Marco.

elemento
02-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Green just needs to find his shot back ! I think he fits the team better starting with Parker.

Beli and Manu sharing PG duties with the 2nd unit would be the best option IMO, especially considering what we have as backup PGs.

Prime Time
02-04-2014, 10:24 AM
At least Bellinelli can make some layups. Watching Green try to make a layup is like watching a giraffe on ice-skates. You cringe and want to help the poor beast do something foreign to his nature.
Know who else finishes layups? Tony, Manu, Tim, Tiago, Kawhi, basically everyone else on the team. Hell, even Ayres is efficient with his shots.

I love Marco and wouldn't trade him for Neal by any means, but he's really just an "icing" kind of guy for the Spurs. He's basically a mix between Manu and Patty, both players who get heavy minutes in the Spurs' rotation.

Now tell me this - How many players on the Spurs can shut down some of the most talented smaller guards in the league? Only Green. Who can defend the fast-break at an arguably top 5 rate? Only Green. Who brings incredibly energy on the defensive side of the ball? Well, Green and Leonard. But you see my point.

Green is probably the most under-appreciated Spur in the last decade (2004+). Especially consider how the Spurs were stuck with starting Jefferson before his emergence.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Green is a GOOD Defender. Not great. It was GREAT to have him back on the court. We need this team to get back to playing good Defense. Hopefully Leonard comes back rested and healthy. Now if the FO would make a nice trade and propel this team back to the Finals....

TJastal
02-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Green just needs to find his shot back ! I think he fits the team better starting with Parker.

Beli and Manu sharing PG duties with the 2nd unit would be the best option IMO, especially considering what we have as backup PGs.

I do agree that Green needs to be back in the starting lineup. I was initially for Bellinelli swapping with Green but I think its now apparent Bellinelli just fits better coming off the bench and whatever problems the 1st unit is having offensively the solution will have to come from somewhere else. But I'm not sure what else you want in a backup point guard than what Mills' is currently providing, he handles the ball and puts points on the board while Manu does the bulk of the playmaking. In time he will learn how to facilitate but right now that is not a prerequisite.

TJastal
02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Green is a GOOD Defender. Not great. It was GREAT to have him back on the court. We need this team to get back to playing good Defense. Hopefully Leonard comes back rested and healthy. Now if the FO would make a nice trade and propel this team back to the Finals....

Define you're interpretation of "great" and "good".....

debo
02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
They both have their roles in the system. Belli is obviously more gifted offensively, and Green defensively. They will both be crucial in the playoffs, and Danny fits better with the starters. On another team, with another system, Belli could be far and away more effective. Just be happy we have both.

If only we could fuse them together..

Prime Time
02-04-2014, 10:46 AM
If only we could fuse them together..
I second this. If only we had a goddamn fusion machine. I'd love to combine Marco and Danny, Cojo/Nando, and Patty, perhaps even Ayres/Baynes could be a nice 4th big. Hell, I'd combine Cojo and Duncan. And by that I just mean making Duncan 22

Raven
02-04-2014, 10:53 AM

then who are the great defensive sg?

ThaBigFundamental21
02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Quite honestly, I can't give you a great SG off the top of my head. But this isn't great by default is it? Green is good, we all know that. But there are an awful lot of times when he gets hung up in traffic and his man gets free. Obviously him spazzing out over pump fakes, everyone loves to bring that up here. But I really don't think that is that big of a deal. At least he is trying. Green is a good basketball player, he just doesn't necessarily have a high basketball IQ, and that baffles me tbh. Playing on this team with this staff you would think by now he would have his mind right.

I'm very happy to have Green, I know he has plenty of flaws. I think he is good Defensively, maybe average Offensively. I just don't think he is great of Defense. I think he is good. Maybe I will have to eat my words. I hope so.

look_at_g_shred
02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Green Belly

Raven
02-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Quite honestly, I can't give you a great SG off the top of my head. But this isn't great by default is it? Green is good, we all know that. But there are an awful lot of times when he gets hung up in traffic and his man gets free. Obviously him spazzing out over pump fakes, everyone loves to bring that up here. But I really don't think that is that big of a deal. At least he is trying. Green is a good basketball player, he just doesn't necessarily have a high basketball IQ, and that baffles me tbh. Playing on this team with this staff you would think by now he would have his mind right.

I'm very happy to have Green, I know he has plenty of flaws. I think he is good Defensively, maybe average Offensively. I just don't think he is great of Defense. I think he is good. Maybe I will have to eat my words. I hope so.
actually i think that makes him great by default.. i do see a lot of mistakes off the screens indeed, joseph is much better at going around them, but that's more nitpicking than anthing, both guard spots are generally very bad at D, so those few that are good should be considered great imho. I'm not comparing them to the great past defenders obviously.

hater
02-19-2014, 05:50 PM
i have about 200 bumps to make tbh.. i'd rather just say that:

:lol hater :lol benefactor

you were saying?

:lmao Raven

hater
02-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Green Belly

I was thinking if it was possible to fuse 2 players into 1, Green Belly would probably be best player in the history of the NBA

the 1 trick pony is completely worthless on offense. But I have to admit, he is a great tool to have on the defensive end. The Ferrari has everything else shooting, passing, style, swag, panache, etc, etc.

another thought is that I am beginning to see very good things when both players (pony, ferrari) are on the floor IMO

a very lethal lineup these days:
Duncan
Diaw
Ferrari
Green
MillsIsGod

Raven
02-19-2014, 05:58 PM
you were saying?

:lmao Raven

what are you talking about tbh?

ElNono
02-19-2014, 06:03 PM

G-Dawgg
02-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Green is too inconsistent offensively to be better than Belinelli. You can't rely on a 3pt shooter like him when you don't know which version will show up on any given night. When he's hot you put him in over Belinelli because of his excellent defense, otherwise Belinelli is a much better overall player.

hater
02-19-2014, 06:10 PM

:rolleyes playing the reverse card

we all know Ferrari saved Turnobili's career. Dude was on the ropes and looking like a zombie, when the Ferrari came in and taught him how to play TEAM basketball all over again. The Italian Stallion's style made something in Turnobili "click" and at least the Argentine is somewhat usable this season.(somewhat being the operative word)

btw, The Ferrari sure looked like a Fiat in the Allstar Saturday 3 Point Competition :lmao :lmao

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/s403x403/1888637_483165645122189_1693451632_n.jpg

Raven
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
so hater is saying belinelli played well yesterday? Man, this dude really doesn't go further than the boxscore.. he was flat out awful, he was an absolute troll.

look_at_g_shred
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
I was thinking if it was possible to fuse 2 players into 1, Green Belly would probably be best player in the history of the NBA

the 1 trick pony is completely worthless on offense. But I have to admit, he is a great tool to have on the defensive end. The Ferrari has everything else shooting, passing, style, swag, panache, etc, etc.

another thought is that I am beginning to see very good things when both players (pony, ferrari) are on the floor IMO

a very lethal lineup these days:
Duncan
Diaw
Ferrari
Green (Corvette)
MillsIsGod
Fify

ElNono
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
:rolleyes playing the reverse card

I mentioned it over a month ago, tbh... this isn't news or "reverse card", whatever that means...

It's pretty evident that Manu resurrected THAT dude career after getting kicked out of the Bulls, tbh. Marco is brimming with confidence and the reality is that this team has a season and a half to figure out how to stop relying on Gino as the backup playmaker, so all these games help on that aspect.

People that actually watch the games have noticed the Ferrari looking like a Fiat without his bro out there... as pointed out in this thread by many other posters... this shouldn't be a big deal or news at this point.

I've always been a big Beli fan. I love he's on our team, and now that his bro is out there helping him reach his full potential, it only spell good news for the Spurs.

Chinook
02-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Green is too inconsistent offensively to be better than Belinelli. You can't rely on a 3pt shooter like him when you don't know which version will show up on any given night. When he's hot you put him in over Belinelli because of his excellent defense, otherwise Belinelli is a much better overall player.

Lol. Green is so much better than Beli that it's not even funny how people can act like he's not anymore.

Chinook
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
so hater is saying belinelli played well yesterday? Man, this dude really doesn't go further than the boxscore.. he was flat out awful, he was an absolute troll.

Yeah, it's queer to bump this thread after yesterday. Green was significantly better. It would be one thing if this were a Patty/Cory thread.

ElNono
02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Lol. Green is so much better than Beli that it's not even funny how people can act like he's not anymore.

You replied a post mentioning the offense. On that aspect Beli is much, much better. Not even close, IMO. Passing, finishing, you name it, Beli does it much better.

Danny is the much superior defender though.

Raven
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it's queer to bump this thread after yesterday. Green was significantly better. It would be one thing if this were a Patty/Cory thread.

at least if he was able to see the 20 points in belinelli's boxscore, he should have been able to see the -8 +- and the +14 on green's.. manu's +19 should also have been noticed. Really, the team only played well when belinelli was on the bench, not just that, but belinelli's benchin around 4m to go after a hilarious defensive sequence, was the key to win the game.

G-Dawgg
02-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Green is way too one dimensional. He can't even dribble the damn ball without almost turning it over..... All he does is shoot the 3 ball and defend and when his 3 ball is not falling he is almost useless on offense. Belinelli has many more skills than Green. I'd trust Bellineli in a 4qtr game 7 finals situation much more than I would trust Danny Green to be in the game. It's my opinion.

Chinook
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
You replied a post mentioning the offense. On that aspect Beli is much, much better. Not even close, IMO. Passing, finishing, you name it, Beli does it much better.

I replied to a post saying Beli is better on everything but defense and is thus superior. Like defense is an attribute on the same level as passing or shooting. It's half the game. Also, no. Beli is not better at setting screens or running the offense. He's just better at ball-handling and the aspects that depend on that like finishing and making flashy passes.

Raven
02-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Green is way too one dimensional. He can't even dribble the damn ball without almost turning it over..... All he does is shoot the 3 ball and defend and when his 3 ball is not falling he is almost useless on offense. Belinelli has many more skills than Green

tbh this is so retarded i don't feel like answering anymore..

Chinook
02-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Green is way too one dimensional. He can't even dribble the damn ball without almost turning it over..... All he does is shoot the 3 ball and defend and when his 3 ball is not falling he is almost useless on offense. Belinelli has many more skills than Green

He actually shot an above-average percentage from two last season for a wing. He can't dribble, but he can score in more ways than people realize.

G-Dawgg
02-19-2014, 06:42 PM
tbh this is so retarded i don't feel like answering anymore..
Good don't answer then.. you have your opinion and I have mine.

ElNono
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Beli's contribution last night was great. We were missing our top scorer, so every point was a premium. You also can't peg the +/- entirely on him when you're rolling Ayres out there with him (a malady that happens often enough still).

We're not going to play Belli or Green 40 mins a game, so anything they can contribute when they're on the floor works.

G-Dawgg
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
He actually shot an above-average percentage from two last season for a wing. He can't dribble, but he can score in more ways than people realize.
Also, last year was Green's one great season. He is definitely not the same player this season...

Raven
02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Beli's contribution last night was great. We were missing our top scorer, so every point was a premium. You also can't peg the +/- entirely on him when you're rolling Ayres out there with him (a malady that happens often enough still).

We're not going to play Belli or Green 40 mins a game, so anything they can contribute when they're on the floor works.

ayers was +2 and actually the only one relatively close were joseph with -3 and brown with -2. I understand that right now belinelli's offense is needed here and there, to keep minutes as low as possible on manu, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a cancer for both the D and the young players confidence.

Chinook
02-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Also last year was his one great season. He is definitely not the same player this season...

Wait, I thought the year before was his one great season. That's what the haters said last year.

Green's better this season, but he and the team are still trying to find a rhythm. But even an out-of-sync and poor-shooting Green is better than Beli. This year has demonstrated that.

ElNono
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
ayers was +2 and actually the only one relatively close were joseph with -3 and brown with -2. I understand that right now belinelli's offense is needed here and there, to keep minutes as low as possible on manu, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a cancer for both the D and the young players confidence.

I'm just not sure how he can undermine the young players confidence since he's not even tasked with creating. He's basically asked to run backdoor cuts and spot up 3 point shooting. Now if you're talking about D, sure, he's not a great defender, but that's why his role is to play against the other team's bench and unlike Manu, he's not asked to close out games.

Chinook
02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Green better be playing near that when the games matter. Leonard too (especially). Danny scoring 10ppg is much better than Beli scoring 15.

That said, I root for every player on the team to play as well as possible. If Pop goes to Marco over Green, I want him to be so awesome that people give me crap for doubting him.

Raven
02-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm just not sure how he can undermine the young players confidence since he's not even tasked with creating. He's basically asked to run backdoor cuts and spot up 3 point shooting. Now if you're talking about D, sure, he's not a great defender, but that's why his role is to play against the other team's bench and unlike Manu, he's not asked to close out games.

he does that on defence by running around with no purpose either after being screened or just by reading the situation wrong, confusing the other players. Players like green and cojo feel good about taking their shots only when they do their job on D first. Now you can say that's their own mental weakness, but it's the way it is.

Mel_13
02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
he does that on defence by running around with no purpose either after being screened or just by reading the situation wrong, confusing the other players. Players like green and cojo feel good about taking their shots only when they do their job on D first. Now you can say that's their own mental weakness, but it's the way it is.

That is some truly hilarious psychobabble right there, folks.

ElNono
02-19-2014, 07:42 PM

I get that you don't like Beli... maybe it's just a schtick you want to pan out or something... but posts like this don't really build your case...

cd021
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Green is way too one dimensional. He can't even dribble the damn ball without almost turning it over..... All he does is shoot the 3 ball and defend and when his 3 ball is not falling he is almost useless on offense. Belinelli has many more skills than Green. I'd trust Bellineli in a 4qtr game 7 finals situation much more than I would trust Danny Green to be in the game. It's my opinion.

You mentioned 2 dimensions and its not like Green is soley a catch and shoot player. He can dribble the ball up in transition and hit a pull up 3. He did it last night. I can remember 5 or 6 times this season where he has caught the ball inside the arc, put the ball on the floor and hit a 3 in the corner. If Beli can't be hidden, how can you trust him on defense?

hater
02-19-2014, 07:53 PM
People that actually watch the games have noticed the Ferrari looking like a Fiat without his bro out there... as pointed out in this thread by many other posters... this shouldn't be a big deal or news at this point.

I've always been a big Beli fan. I love he's on our team, and now that his bro is out there helping him reach his full potential, it only spell good news for the Spurs.

Wrong.

People that actually watch the games will see ALL the Spurs struggled in the past few games starting at the point when Kawhi went down. It was mostly due because of Kawhi and Splitter went down and responsibilities were redesigned. Manu's absence was just an afterthought IMO. I have been saying Ferrari saved Manu's career for months, it's very convenient you are singing the exact opposite tune all of a sudden.

the facts are that after costing his team the championship, the argentine needed a miracle to justify his life. The Ferrari Bellinelli provided just that.

hater
02-19-2014, 07:55 PM

agree with you here :tu

1-trick-pony cannot even dribble a basketball in an empty gym. He's a black hole on offense, its horrifying. He's not just bad on offense, he's one of the worst wing players in the league on offense. The absence of Manu gives Green some life, since we do need a defensive specialist and he is fine at that job. But if Manu somehow gets healthy(doubtful) and gets going, Green will see himself on the bench more often than not.

Raven
02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
I get that you don't like Beli... maybe it's just a schtick you want to pan out or something... but posts like this don't really build your case...

maybe i phrased it in a weird way, but i truly believe it. Now i may be wrong about him being a bad offensive fit for green and cojo (and kawhi), but what i'm not wrong for sure is his cancerous effect on team D. His offensive production is not closely good enough to offset his bad D imho.

ElNono
02-19-2014, 08:13 PM
People that actually watch the games will see ALL the Spurs struggled in the past few games starting at the point when Kawhi went down. It was mostly due because of Kawhi and Splitter went down and responsibilities were redesigned. Manu's absence was just an afterthought IMO.

This is too easy. Neither Tiago nor Kawhi were playing last night... But you did feel like Beli played good enough to bump this thread... just as Manu made his comeback! imagine that!

I have been saying Ferrari saved Manu's career for months, it's very convenient you are singing the exact opposite tune all of a sudden.

Now over a month ago is "all of a sudden" :lol

but hey, thanks for bumping this thread, it actually grows the legend of Nonostradamus :tu

hater
02-19-2014, 08:18 PM
This is too easy. Neither Tiago nor Kawhi were playing last night... But you did feel like Beli played good enough to bump this thread... just as Manu made his comeback! imagine that!

All the Spurs played well last night, especially Belli and Green. Manu had very little effect on the game, his play was satisfactory too, but minimal.

Now over a month ago is "all of a sudden" :lol

but hey, thanks for bumping this thread, it actually grows the legend of Nonostradamus :tu

Since I been saying it since November, yes. All of a sudden.

Not sure what you predicted, but congrats if that's the case :tu

ElNono
02-19-2014, 08:38 PM
All the Spurs played well last night, especially Belli and Green. Manu had very little effect on the game, his play was satisfactory too, but minimal.

Well, as I predicted, he helped Beli reach his full potential, which the Spurs have been missing from Marco since his bro went down. That kind of impact is actually huge and can be the difference between losing to the likes of Detroit vs beating top teams like the Clippers.

Since I been saying it since November, yes. All of a sudden.

Maybe in Quechua it means something different, but there's nothing sudden about something said over a month ago. Apparently you simply missed the 2 or 3 posts where I posited my now demonstrably correct opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually forgot about this thread until you bumped it... I wouldn't have recalled how spot on I was until I saw my earlier post again... :hat

hater
02-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Well, as I predicted, he helped Beli reach his full potential, which the Spurs have been missing from Marco since his bro went down. That kind of impact is actually huge and can be the difference between losing to the likes of Detroit vs beating top teams like the Clippers.

illogical

Belli's career needed no saving. He did not cost his team the championship last playoffs. On the contrary, Belli was being coveted by most teams in the league. Including the very own Kevin Durant, who was clamoring to get THAT DUDE. Can you imagine if OKC would have aquired The Ferrari? it would have been lights out for the rest of the league.

Again, your reasoning is illogical. Belli did not cost his team the championship, his career was not on the ropes like Manu's.

Maybe in Quechua it means something different, but there's nothing sudden about something said over a month ago. Apparently you simply missed the 2 or 3 posts where I posited my now demonstrably correct opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually forgot about this thread until you bumped it... I wouldn't have recalled how spot on I was until I saw my earlier post again... :hat

:rolleyes Maybe you went to school in Argentina? understandable then

"all of a sudden" does not have an expiration date. try to keep up

ElNono
02-19-2014, 09:06 PM
illogical

Belli's career needed no saving.

Well, unlike Manu, who received a juicy and well deserved extension from his team, Marco was on the street after the Bulls deemed he was not worth the money... These are just facts, nothing to argue or debate.

Manu has made a career of making players around him better, that's why I loved the signing. I knew Marco was going to be great with Gino around. It turned out to be a very logical and sound prediction.

:rolleyes Maybe you went to school in Argentina? understandable then

"all of a sudden" does not have an expiration date. try to keep up

:lol Now you're arguing just to argue. I didn't say anything about an expiration date, tbh...

I simply said it might look sudden to you if you missed my 2-3 posts over the last month or so... which you apparently did. Nothing wrong with that, tbh...

hater
02-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Well, unlike Manu, who received a juicy and well deserved extension from his team, Marco was on the street after the Bulls deemed he was not worth the money... These are just facts, nothing to argue or debate.

LOL "on the streets" He was being courted by Durant/OKC, the Heat and a number of other teams including the Spurs. LOL "on the streets"

Manu has made a career of making players around him better, that's why I loved the signing.

sure he has, and he demolished all that by costing his team the 2013 NBA Championship. His career was on the rocks, he considered retirement, hell most Spursfans wanted him gone. Only Manutards would disagree.

I knew Marco was going to be great with Gino around. It turned out to be a very logical and sound prediction.

that was your prediction? Belli is a Ferrari on his own, he won the NBA 3pt Championship on his own and won Pop's favor (and minutes) on his own. If that was your prediction it was a terrible prediction tbh

ElNono
02-19-2014, 09:30 PM
LOL "on the streets" He was being courted by Durant/OKC, the Heat and a number of other teams including the Spurs. LOL "on the streets"

He might've been courted by Queen Elizabeth too, but the reason he was available at all is because Chicago let him walk. Again, just facts.

Great, talented players are offered extensions. That means their teams want to keep em because they're valuable. Just like the Spurs did with Manu, Tony, Tim, etc.

It's unfortunate Marco's game didn't warrant an extension offer by the Bulls, but I knew Manu would be able to get the best out of Marco. In hindsight, and looking at the disaster that's been Ayres, I'm glad to be spot on.

sure he has, and he demolished all that by costing his team the 2013 NBA Championship. His career was on the rocks. Only Manutards would disagree.

Manu didn't have a good playoffs per his extremely elevated standards, and it's clear he needed much more help than the Gary Neals of the league. At his age it's difficult to take D-League talent and turn them into NBA players, tbh.

The Marco signing addressed that. Take a good player on the downturn of his career and let Manu bring back the best of him. I'm glad it worked out just like that.

that was your prediction? Belli is a Ferrari on his own, he won the NBA 3pt Championship on his own and won Pop's favor (and minutes) on his own. If that was your prediction is was a terrible prediction tbh

We all have differing opinions, and I've certainly been wrong before, but ultimately opinions don't really matter when the predictions turn out to be right, as in this case.

hater
02-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Bellineli 3 at the top of the key with seconds left.... in. Manu on the bench

Bellinelli with the best assist of the night to Splitter for the and 1 and 50 seconds left. Manu on the bench

Another major failure by ElNono..... No one is surprised :lmao

ElNono
02-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Beli scores 20 back to back since Gino came back... Manu leads team again with +20... :lol

Meanwhile, Kawhi still out...

This thread can't stop making me look good. Hell of a bump :lmao

TJastal
02-20-2014, 03:02 AM

:lmao @ undermining the young players. Seems the more Bellinelli accomplishes (winning 3pt contest, 20+ point games, top nba 3pt shooter) the more this bitch criticizes.

ElNono
02-20-2014, 03:04 AM
:lmao @ undermining the young players. Seems the more Bellinelli accomplishes (winning 3pt contest, 20+ point games, top nba 3pt shooter) the more this bitch criticizes.

:lol yeah, I didn't get that at all. It's not like Beli is trying to get the ball away from them.

gilmor
02-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Manu prob will retire in 2 years time also.. where will you be then?

ElNono
02-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Manu prob will retire in 2 years time also.. where will you be then?

probably watching the draft lottery or watching Kawhi take this team to the playoffs... hard to tell right now, tbh...

Drom John
02-20-2014, 11:31 AM
2013-2013 WS/48
Belinelli .134 (8th on Spurs)
Green .099 (13th on Spurs)

Career WS/48
Belinelli .075
Green .125

Looking at stats only Belinelli's year is an aberration. That aberration may be Ginobili/Popovich.
OTOH, Green's offense has take a dip particularly 3 pt shooting, while his defense has been steady.

Knoxxx
02-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Quite a discussion, I am just jumping on the end after scanning through so apologies if I missed this but:

The real question is whether Belli>Neal as that was the roster choice being made. Definite yes for me. Not saying Belli is way better than Neal but better fit for our system and certainly no worse on defense.

ElNono
02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Quite a discussion, I am just jumping on the end after scanning through so apologies if I missed this but:

The real question is whether Belli>Neal as that was the roster choice being made. Definite yes for me. Not saying Belli is way better than Neal but better fit for our system and certainly no worse on defense.

Yeah, and not a knock on Neal either. He was great for us, but Marco is simply better.

Knoxxx
02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Yeah, and not a knock on Neal either. He was great for us, but Marco is simply better.

Belli really caught my eye last year against Heat. He was one of best players Bulls had on the floor. Clearly a gamer despite being overmatched against Wade/James. I guess since he couldn't beat those guys by himself Bulls considered him expendable. Their loss our gain, we get a smart, sharpshooting player who is an excellent fit for a bargain basement price. Reigning 3 point champ to boot, what's not to love?

ElNono
02-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Belli really caught my eye last year against Heat. He was one of best players Bulls had on the floor. Clearly a gamer despite being overmatched against Wade/James. I guess since he couldn't beat those guys by himself Bulls considered him expendable. Their loss our gain, we get a smart, sharpshooting player who is an excellent fit for a bargain basement price. Reigning 3 point champ to boot, what's not to love?

Beli and Nate (also let go) were balling in that series. Beli was good even from his NO days. Under the right system and players around him that can masquerade his flaws, he can thrive. I loved the signing when it happened, still love it today. Big fan of the Italian.

Drom John
02-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Actually the question is Belinelli vs. Green.
Who get's PT?
Belinelli currently deserves more PT than Green, though I'd go more on matchups. Green gets my vote against good shooters. Belinelli get my vote if Ginobili's on the floor.

Belinelli vs. Neal. Nope, that ship was over the horizon once the season started.

Baam
02-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Actually the question is Belinelli vs. Green.
Who get's PT?
Belinelli currently deserves more PT than Green, though I'd go more on matchups. Green gets my vote against good shooters. Belinelli get my vote if Ginobili's on the floor.

Belinelli vs. Neal. Nope, that ship was over the horizon once the season started.

I for one am gonna wait until Beli is the best player of a Finals game or hit a season saving shot like Neal did :toast.