PDA

View Full Version : Oops .. poor Willie Green

Kori Ellis
08-03-2005, 04:01 AM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Willie Green should have waited before playing basketball again.

On the day the Philadelphia 76ers were expected to announce they had re-signed Green to a $20 million, six-year contract, they instead said the deal was on hold because the guard injured his knee in a pickup game.

Sixers president Billy King said Green suffered cartilage damage and needs knee surgery. No date was announced.

"It's just an unfortunate situation at this time," King said.

Green, who averaged 7.7 points playing sporadically under former coach Jim O'Brien last season, expected to get additional playing time under Maurice Cheeks.

Now, everything is on hold.

"The offer hasn't been rescinded," said Green's agent, Noah Croom. "Billy wants to wait to determine the extent of his injury before we move forward."

Croom described Green, who reads the Bible before most games, as optimistic and upbeat about his future.

"If we don't have Willie it's going to hurt us," Allen Iverson said. "But we have so many guys ready to step up."

That includes swingman Kyle Korver and center Samuel Dalembert, who were re-signed by the Sixers on Tuesday.

Dalembert said he found it difficult to play for O'Brien and might not have stayed in Philadelphia had the former coach stuck around.

"My decision would've been different," said Dalembert. "Nothing against Jim O'Brien, but I could never understand his plans for me. But Mo Cheeks told me I was going to play. Now, if I don't produce, it's on me."

The 6-foot-11 Dalembert, the 76ers' first-round pick in 2001, averaged 8.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.68 blocks last season.

Korver, a 6-foot-6 forward, played in all 82 regular-season games last season and averaged 11.5 points and 4.6 rebounds in 32.5 minutes. He started 57 games and led the team with 226 3-pointers.

timvp
08-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Somewhere Terry Cummings feels his pain.

TheWriter
08-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Damn...

TheTruth
08-03-2005, 04:32 AM
that really sucks

yours truly,
aaron boone

Spurologist
08-03-2005, 06:46 AM
you see what had happened was........

cmc$purs
08-03-2005, 06:47 AM
did manny cross him over at trinity...first the ankles then the knees :lol

DesiSpur_21
08-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Man.. it sucks, you have a new contract to sign and get hurt in a pickup game.. :depressed

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 07:50 AM
:rolleyes. Philly Sports. It's like bad luck shadows their players or something.

WayDowntownBang
08-03-2005, 08:15 AM
That was an expensive pick up game. That's why most teams are putting in clauses like this to let them get out of contracts when things like this happen.

Kori Ellis
08-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Sixers' Green out for up to nine months

Philadelphia 76ers restricted free agent Willie Green will miss six to nine months after undergoing successful surgery on his left knee yesterday.

The 6-foot-2 guard was scheduled to sign a $20 million (all figures U.S.), six-year contract, but the restricted free agent injured his knee in a pickup game. While contract terms were reached, the deal was never signed.

"I have been in contact with Willie's agent and we are exploring options with Willie," team president Billy King said. ``There will be no immediate answer at this time.''

Green thrived as a reserve last year when Allen Iverson was injured, including a 32-point game against Washington in January.

Horry For 3!
08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
Wllie Green is pretty good too. Sucks for him.