PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades: Spurs at Hornets, Feb 4

Amuseddaysleeper
02-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Game GRADES thread, not Game BLOG thread don't worry!

TONY PARKER

While TP has been coasting throughout the season it was pretty obvious with so many injuries he would have to kick things up a notch just to keep the Spurs afloat. And the man did not disappoint. While Parker had a decent 11 points at halftime he exploded in the second half for 21 points to go along with his 9 assists. As great as it was to see vintage Parker, who the Spurs desperately needed in this game, I was really really happy with his effort on the defensive end. I thought to date, Parker was having one of his worst seasons ever defensively, but when the man is fired up and locked in it was great to see that he can still defend at a strong level.

Very difficult to complain about anything in Parker's game outside of the lack of passing to Manu :nope

A

TIM DUNCAN

I don't even know where to begin right now. Last night I saw father time get murdered violently and it was all at the brutal hands of none other than Tim Duncan. He looked more confident offensively than we've seen in some time and his moves and aggression around the basket was a thing of beauty. It also helps open up his game so much when teams are forced to respect his jumper as it allows him better lanes to attack the basket and do what Duncan always does.

In the 3rd quarter he put the team on his back just to stay in the game. He constantly took Ajinca to school so badly that he ended up with a PHD. To make the night even better Duncan didn't stop there. He was huge in the final stanza of the fourth quarter where the Spurs battled back from a 12 point deficit and just blew the game open all thanks to the combined efforts of TD and TP.

Oh, I didn't even mention the 6 blocks.

Damn

A

CORY JOSEPH

Look, I appreciate that we're both from the same town, that I saw him play a practice game with the Canadian team, seen him several times in person with the Spurs, and played several games of pickup ball and hanging out after (well....maybe that last part isn't true), but I hope when everyone returns healthy, Cory is removed from the rotation. I thought he had potential last year when he was shooting with confidence while hounding opposing players, but he just doesn't bring much to the table. I hate having him in the starting lineup but with the injuries and rotation, it's understandable.

He did have 5 points and drained a 3 pointer for what feels like the first time all year, but I just don't think he's an NBA player....just a Canadian one.

C

PATTY MILLS

The growth Patty has shown this year has been great. While he didn't shoot great this game, he's a player I rarely ask to stop shooting (unless he comes at me with a gun). Patty has been a solid backup guard and he's fearless. He doesn't let missed shots get to him, and he doesn't completely break from the offense like Gary Neal which led to some face palming moments.

I thought Mills was merely OK in this game, but with a team so wounded, it's nice to see that he's constantly relentless and has improved defensively thanks to his lost weight.

C+

DANNY GREEN

At first it was great to see Green back, and actually starting (which I used to be opposed to until I saw Belli start). On the first defensively play of the game he was up in the grill of an opposing 3 point shot which clanked the rim and I couldn't help but smile. However, his shot looked horrible for 3 quarters but that is understandable considering he's got a Luis Suarez bandage going on and is coming from 3 weeks off.

But then the fourth quarter happened, and Green hit a HUGE 3 ball that helped push the momentum in the Spurs favor and all was forgiven (funny how that works). Green was obviously rusty, but he gave good effort on D, even if Eric Gordon was a handful. Green also looked winded in parts during the game, but again that is to be expected.

All in all it's great to have him back, and if he can find his shot on a more consistent basis moving forward, it changes the dynamic of the whole team.

He's that important folks.

C+

TIAGO SPLITTER

Man is it great to have this guy back too. Especially when he doesn't have the crazy shoulder brace thing that made him look like a cyborg in the last game. While he isn't an intimidating shot blocker, his ability to cut off the driving lanes can't be understated. His posts moves are slowly coming back and I thought Tiago looked better this game than the last. I was also really happy with his rebounding (7 boards in just 21 minutes) and he was great on the receiving end of the pick and roll.

Good to have this guy back :tu

B

NANDO DE COLO

He only played 11 minutes, but they were an efficient 11. Certainly more efficient than the past 11 minutes I've been spending at work just now writing up these grades! And my boss is standing right behind me, but I'm gonna pretend I don't notice him. Ignorance is bliss.

Anyways, back to Nando, he had some very nice cuts to the basket and as always, his passing and ball movement was solid. His D was a bit shaky, but all in all I thought he was fine with the minutes he was given.

B-

MARCO

While Marco's 3 point shot has been up and down lately, I always used to be annoyed when he settled and refused to attack the rim. On this night however, he was hitting an array of fancy layups that I couldn't even hit with LeBron in NBA 2K (my shot stick is broken, honest).

Marco kept the ball moving and was glorious around the basket. I was surprised to see that he only played 13 minutes but I'm not complaining, as he was really solid throughout.

B+

BORIS DIAW

Boris had a very off night offensively. Feels like when he fakes a jump shot, takes one step in and shoots it....we should all be ready for the rebound. Defensively he was merely OK, as this was another invisible Diaw performance which is a terrible time to have it since the Spurs are thin up front. Fortunately the Spurs were still able to get the win, but I'm hoping to see more from Boris moving forward.

C

MATTHEW BONNER

A typical Matt Bonner outing where he barely takes any shots yet still posts on the highest +/- in the whole game. I will say that in the 2nd half Bonner did what Bonner does in February and hit a huge shot to help the Spurs take their first lead since the dark ages. He also managed 3 steals which might be a career high for him.

B-

FINAL VERDICT

You know, this team looked dead in the water heading into the fourth and we were ready to chalk it up as another frustrating loss in the midst of an injury stretch. Clearly, the team had other plans and gave us one of the best wins of the past 3-4 weeks. It was gutsy, and I loved seeing the Spurs find the chemistry to execute down the stretch and completely shut down the Pelicans on the other end of the floor.

Hopefully this keeps their momentum moving forward on the road trip, gets everyone back healthy, and regain the Western crown.

And playing very little to no Ayres automatically sky rockets those chances.

:toast

Prime Time
02-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Someone's gonna get injured at practice today..

ElNono
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Raven
02-04-2014, 12:29 PM
thanks for the grades, but with all due respect i don't agree with anything except tony's grade.

ajballer4
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks, only got to catch the first quarter

Embedded
02-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Amuseddaysleeper - thanks for your take on the game, and man you're funny, especially the bit about "Boris moving forward" and your avatar.

Darius Bieber
02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Patty deserved higher, Duncan lower. Patty provided some spark, meanwhile Duncan missed some chip shots..

StoneBuddha
02-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Duncan was good offensively but it seemed like he gave up a lot (for him) tips and offensive rebounds. Gutty win to start the RRT!

Spursfanfromafar
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks!

I was terribly pissed with the perimeter defense when it let Anthony Morrow & Austin Rivers (!) dominate for a stretch - thanks mostly to Belinelli's and to a lesser extent, Green's generosity - but thankfully Parker dialled up the intensity (particularly after the technical he & Duncan received) and Groundhog Duncan delivered.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Duncan wasn't perfect, but it was nice to see him be as efficient as he was offensively, and it is difficult to argue with 6 blocks especially at his age. He was also huge with TP in closing out the game.

Mugen
02-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks N-Word.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Duncan deserves an A for the 2nd half, but a D or even F for the first half, tbh..his defense was horrific in the 1st half and he missed way too many chip shots..the refs weren't giving him any calls and he clearly allowed it to get in his head IMO..overall, I'd give him a C+ for this game..

Green deserves a B IMO, his defense in the 4th was huge, and he grabbed several key rebounds..the 3 he made after grabbing an offensive rebound was a key momentum shot, too..

Bonner deserves a B+ IMO, he gave a solid defensive effort, made key shots and more importantly, he allowed Pop to leave Ayres on the bench..

Beli was very good on offense, but he was the worst defender on the floor for either team, tbh..

wildbill2u
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Bonner's solid per scores are becoming routine--but only for the cognoscenti. Great job on the NO bigs with 3 steals and 2 blks and we wouldn't have won without his contribution.

With the new defensive skills he's showing I expect him to be in the running for DPOY.

silverblackfan
02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Very amusing game grades. Thanks for the chuckle and the recap. I have to say, overall I am liking the rotating Game Grades authors.

jimbo
02-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Duncan's D was pure garbage in the first half. It's not a surprise the team went on a run when he was out. Bonner did do a pretty good job on Anthony Davis. You couldn't really ask for much more outta him. I can't remember, but has Tiago ever defended against the brow? I know he didn't at all last night, which I thought was weird.

ego
02-04-2014, 05:42 PM
You forgot the defense of Boris on Anthony Davis ! Great game from Boris.

TD 21
02-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Clearly, the team had other plans and gave us one of the best wins of the past 3-4 weeks.

I'd go further and say, of the season. This team has had a disturbingly low number of wins that they pulled out of their ass this season. For a myriad of reasons (confidence, standings, building mental toughness), they desperately needed one of these types. Too often, they've either failed to get over the hump or flat out conceded and got blown out.

jeebus
02-04-2014, 06:38 PM
And playing very little to no Ayres automatically sky rockets those chances.

Pop's grade for no Ayres last night?

http://i.minus.com/ibF2HY.gif

TheGoldStandard
02-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Pop's grade for no Ayres last night?

http://i.minus.com/ibF2HY.gif

Pop told Ayres to drink more Oval-tine

HI-FI
02-04-2014, 07:56 PM
:lol
Amuseddaysleeper relegated to game grades after jinxing Spurs for too long. This is a much better fit.

good grades though :tu

EVAY
02-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the grades and write-up! Appreciate it.

Dex
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Green and Splitter are the perfect example of "glue guys".

They are certainly not stars in their own right, but they do a lot of those intangible things that make the overall machine work.

spurs10
02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Great grades! Thanks amigo, I mean Amusedaysleeper!

superbigtime
02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Good write up, thank you. I'd give everyone a B- to B+ except A's for Tim and Tony and a C- for Cojo.

Great win. I can't believe they were able to pull this one out after their 3rd Q momentum got killed. Actually have to give props to Bonner. Definitely leaning hard on Tony and Tim but a terrific team win and great way to start the RRT. What a relief.

SupremeGuy
02-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm just glad Danny is back and in the starting rotation. Never liked the move of starting Beli. We need better defense in the starting unit.

wildchild
02-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks Amuseddaysleeper!

Your Green's grades like "Danny, you hit a HUGE 3 and gave good effort on D, yeah you tried hard...but even though you got a bad grade"

Pop didn't seem cautious about Green's minutes. I thought he would hesitant to increase his minutes too quickly so he doesn't jeopardize his recovery, but Danny played 30 minutes.

Defending at a really good level, fighting for rebounds, playing long time, it was a good Danny's return.

NickiRasgo
02-05-2014, 01:26 AM
Good! Now don't start any game threads again, just only game grades.

Spur|n|Austin
02-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Good write up, Amuse. I think we all appreciate your starting these threads instead :toast

heyheymymy
02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
:toast

Bill_Brasky
02-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Green can miss all game but he always does seem to hit a big one in the 4th.

spurs10
02-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...I just want to say that all the posters here that seem to blame Amusedaysleeper for the rash of bad luck and injuries that coincidentally happen when he starts a thread are completely.....

justified!!! BURN THE WITCH!!! :hungry:

tholdren
02-05-2014, 10:15 PM
tiago was a c at best