PDA

View Full Version : DNA Frees Innocent Man after 19 Years

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 09:09 AM
DNA evidence frees man after 19 years in prison
Pennsylvanian, 46, ‘thankful to be home’ after new tests clear his name

Updated: 6:37 p.m. ET Aug. 1, 2005
PITTSBURGH - A man who spent 19 years behind bars for a rape he didn’t commit was released from prison Monday after new tests of DNA evidence cleared him.

Friends and family broke into applause when a county judge dismissed charges against Thomas A. Doswell. About 30 minutes later, Doswell walked out of the county jail a free man — expressing thanks, not bitterness.

“I’m thankful to be home,” he told The Associated Press from his mother’s house. “I’m thankful justice has been served. The court system is not perfect, but it works.”

Doswell, 46, was convicted in the 1986 rape of a 48-year-old woman at a hospital in Pittsburgh. When he was convicted, he was 25 and the father of two young children.

He was sentenced to 13 to 26 years in prison and was denied parole four times because he refused to accept responsibility for the crime.

Prosecutors’ about-face
Prosecutors originally opposed DNA testing for Doswell, but a judge ordered it. When the tests came back last month showing that semen taken from the victim was not from Doswell, prosecutors filed motions to vacate his sentence and release him.

“These tests confirmed what Mr. Doswell has been saying from the moment he was charged, that he was innocent and that this was a misidentification brought about by police officers who may have engaged in misconduct,” said Colin Starger of the Innocence Project at the Benjamin N. Cardoza School of Law at Yeshiva University in New York.

The victim and another witness had picked out Doswell’s photo from a group of eight shown to them by police.

Marked with an ‘R’
At the time, Pittsburgh police identified mug shots of people charged with rape with the letter “R.” Doswell insisted witnesses identified him as the rapist only because the letter “R” appeared under his mug shot.

His photo was marked because an ex-girlfriend had accused him of rape, but he was acquitted of that charge. Police officials say they no longer mark photos of rape suspects with an “R.”

Authorities plan to compare the DNA sample taken from the victim with national databanks, but so far do not have any suspects.

Although Doswell spent nearly two decades in prison, neither he nor his family said they were angry.

Productive time behind bars
“I couldn’t walk around with anger and bitterness,” said Doswell, speaking on a cell phone for what he said was the first time. “It would have done me more harm than good.”

Doswell spent his years in prison getting an associate’s degree, learning to speak Spanish and mastering seven musical instruments, including the guitar, saxophone, flute, drums and trumpet.

“I am so happy to be actually seeing him at home instead of in jail,” said Crystal Glover, Doswell’s girlfriend. “Now we can get on with our lives.”

© 2005 The Associated Press.

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 09:11 AM
That's just sad......can you imagine having to go to prision for a crime you didn't commit and then being exonerated after 19 years? I'd be pissed. Sadly, this happens a lot with the Death Penalty also...and unfortunately it isn't caught until after the execution.

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 09:24 AM
That shit happens all the time. I think we would be surprised on the number of innocent people there are in jail.

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
i hate to say it..... cause I know someone's gonna get all up in arms...

but i think that the fact that the guy was black and had an ex-GF previously accuse him pretty much sealed his conviction. sad sad sad.

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Well, I just read a stat somewhere that said over half the men sitting on Death Row are colored.

3rdCoast
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, I just read a stat somewhere that said over half the men sitting on Death Row are colored.

And?

batman2883
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
That would make me come out and want to kill someone

3rdCoast
08-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Colored? That is how black people are referred to now?

I thought that ended 2 generations ago.

Who says, look at that colored person?

Colored?

batman2883
08-03-2005, 10:08 AM
yeah i mean why say colored

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Colored? That is how black people are referred to now?

I thought that ended 2 generations ago.

Who says, look at that colored person?

Colored?

Because colored doesn't always refer to Black anymore. It can also refers to hispanics, Indians, etc.

Banks91
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
wat i wanna kno is y that dumb bitch pointed him out of the line up, if she didnt see the rapist well enough , then just say that . Me personally i would demand the
woman that pointed him out to receive 19 years in prison to see wat it feels like.

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Because colored doesn't always refer to Black anymore. It can also refers to hispanics, Indians, etc.

i think we can dispense with the colored and just say "minority"

TOP-CHERRY
08-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Geez... not this political correctness again... :rolleyes

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
i think we can dispense with the colored and just say "minority"

Chinese, Japanese, etc. people are considered minorities...they aren't "colored."

What's with all this "political correctness" anyways? That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I just wanted to say that the majority of the people on death row were black, hispanic, Indian, etc. men....call them colored, minorities, whatever you want. :rolleyes

ShoogarBear
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
I just want to know why and how the prosecutors could justify opposing the DNA testing. They're supposed to be interested in the truth, not scummily protecting their tainted cases.

Too bad those assholes can't be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

bigzak25
08-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I just want to know why and how the prosecutors could justify opposing the DNA testing. They're supposed to be interested in the truth, not scummily protecting their tainted cases.

Too bad those assholes can't be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

here here. i imagine this kind of obstruction goes on much more often than we would like. :(

tlongII
08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
In these cases I wonder why the guy can't file a civil lawsuit against the prosecutors. It seems to me that what they did to him was a crime.

SpursWoman
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
In these cases I wonder why the guy can't file a civil lawsuit against the prosecutors. It seems to me that what they did to him was a crime.

I totally agree.

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Actually, I just heard on the news, now they are going to try the poor man for a deportation trial, since apparantly he's an illegal immigrant :wtf

bigzak25
08-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Actually, I just heard on the news, now they are going to try the poor man for a deportation trial, since apparantly he's an illegal immigrant :wtf

yeah, that's smart, deport him before he sues their ass...i wonder if he still can?

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
This guy should get something in return for those 19 years!! For christ sake, give him a million dollars or something. He spent 19 years of his life in jail, that's about 1/4 of your life!!

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 03:07 PM

oh ........ my ....................god

can they just leave this poor guy ALONE. :rolleyes

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 03:07 PM
The sad thing is, when he went in he had a young son...he missed out on watching his son grow up all because he was wrongly accused of rape...not to mention he probably lost a lot of his reputation and dignity when he was accused of it.

I don't know if there is a dollar amount that would be enough to give back a man 19 years of his life.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:14 PM
The sad thing is, when he went in he had a young son...he missed out on watching his son grow up all because he was wrongly accused of rape...not to mention he probably lost a lot of his reputation and dignity when he was accused of it.

I don't know if there is a dollar amount that would be enough to give back a man 19 years of his life.
there isn't, but that shouldn't stop the government from trying. This guy should get SOMETHING

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 03:16 PM
maybe the citizens should sue for thier tax dollars back.
they paid $$ for 19 years to keep a perfectly harmless man off the streets.
shit. I'd want my money back.

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
maybe the citizens should sue for thier tax dollars back.
they paid $$ for 19 years to keep a perfectly harmless man off the streets.
shit. I'd want my money back.

:lol Good Point. Sadly, it happens a lot more than we think.

1Parker1
08-03-2005, 03:27 PM
The Death Penalty Information Center keeps an "Innocence List" which names incarcerated people who have been exonerated since 1973. There are 119 to date. The criteria for inclusion on the list are:

"In order to be included on the list, defendants must have been convicted and sentenced to death, and subsequently either:

a) their conviction was overturned and they were acquitted at a re-trial, or all charges were dismissed; or

b) they were given an absolute pardon by the governor based on new evidence of innocence."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/content.cfm?content_type=article&content_type_id=3051

David Bowie
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
With the new technology and especially DNA testing, this type of thing has been happening a lot. Also, a lot of crimes that have been unsolved have been solved. And criminals who ouldn't be tied to their crimes due to lack of evidence have been convicted. DNA testing makes it much more difficult to get away with crime. Unless youre a male celebrity in Hollywood.

ShoogarBear
08-03-2005, 04:30 PM

It's one thing that an innocent man was imprisoned. That's not necessarily the fault of the prosecutors (unless they were withholding evidence, which I now wouldn't put past them given what's going on).

But when they actively opposed him getting a test which could without a doubt prove innocence, that's not just unethical, it's criminal.

ShoogarBear
08-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Cripes, that's it.

I never do this, but if there's a fund for him, I'm sending money in.