PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think Parker will retire with TD/Manu/Pop?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-06-2014, 12:04 AM
I know he's a bit younger... but the way he plays.. it's really tough to see him being a force for the next 4-5 years.. especially considering he plays Euroball..

Pop said hes gonna retire with Duncan.. I think Manu/Timmy will retire at the end of next year.. anyone see Parker walking too? Especially if they win another LOB?

Boomersgold
02-06-2014, 12:06 AM
No. Why would he? As Jalen Rose would say: "keep gettin' them checks". When our championship contending days are over, Parker will stay around for 'them checks'.

spurraider21
02-06-2014, 12:06 AM
i don't think he'll retire, but i wouldn't be surprised if he is wearing another jersey

superjames1992
02-06-2014, 12:11 AM
No, I don't, but I wouldn't expect Tony to age as gracefully as Timmy and Manu have. Parker's game relies more on speed and quickness and that's sure to start leaving him soon (some might argue it's starting to already). I figure he'll play at least into his mid-30s, though. He should still be serviceable. If he could develop a three-point shot, that would be beneficial. He seems to finally have the corner three down this year, so that's a positive.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-06-2014, 12:15 AM
No, I don't, but I wouldn't expect Tony to age as gracefully as Timmy and Manu have. Parker's game relies more on speed and quickness and that's sure to start leaving him soon (some might argue it's starting to already). I figure he'll play at least into his mid-30s, though. He should still be serviceable. If he could develop a three-point shot, that would be beneficial. He seems to finally have the corner three down this year, so that's a positive.

I think at a best-case scenario... he can age like Manu.. he gets injured a lot too.. but not as much as Ginobili.. his speed may lose him.. but he might still could be a above-average player that shows elite flashes when he's older... then again... I really don't think Parker has the basketball IQ Manu does.

Libri
02-06-2014, 12:20 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-23747-Oprah-shaking-head-NO-gif-Imgu-SO8b.gif

Tuddy
02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
He might retire from the nba and play for his team in France

barakz21
02-06-2014, 12:40 AM

I both agree and disagree on this take. I agree because it's pretty obvious that he's already losing some foot speed,. And I sort of agree that he might not age gracefully like TD and Manu, but I think he'll still be a decent player. I mean, in recent seasons, TP's game has been a lot "smarter" compared to his younger years. I do think he'll be a halfway serviceable player at worst, and that's during his mid-late 30s

Sean Cagney
02-06-2014, 12:51 AM
i don't think he'll retire, but i wouldn't be surprised if he is wearing another jersey

^^^^^^^

HI-FI
02-06-2014, 12:58 AM
This. I know Parker always feels like he doesn't get the attention being on a small market, hence the heroballing, but it would best for both sides to send him to a contender while we get some draft picks and start the rebuild/reload.

KL2
02-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Hell no, not when there is money to be made. Once they retire he'll tell SA to pay him the big $$$, and if they don't (they shouldn't) then some other team will gladly do so. He's making peanuts compared to what he really could be making if he was in a big market.

spurraider21
02-06-2014, 02:01 AM
This. I know Parker always feels like he doesn't get the attention being on a small market, hence the heroballing, but it would best for both sides to send him to a contender while we get some draft picks and start the rebuild/reload.
yeah. the only issue is his contract expires after next season, which is the expected time when Tim and Manu will hang it up (can't believe that day is actually coming, tbh :depressed).
it the time, Parker will be 33. i have a bad feeling he might just sign elsewhere, though yeah, we could work a sign and trade with a team in the east that thinks he'd make them a contender. we just need Jim Buss east

The Reckoning
02-06-2014, 02:57 AM
he'll pull a nash, go to the lakers with an injury and purposefully ruin their cap space

exstatic
02-06-2014, 05:47 AM

Parker is one of the most deadly midrange pick and roll players in the league shooting the ball. He's also shooting 39% from 3 this year.

Bambililos
02-06-2014, 06:49 AM
No, he won't retire with TD and Manu. He said numerous times that he'll retire from Team France in 2016 and that he intends to play pro ball (ideally with the Spurs) until his 40s.

elemento
02-06-2014, 06:53 AM
I don't think he will quite honestly. Once Timmy retires, he leaves SA to play for another contender in my opinion.

Richie
02-06-2014, 07:02 AM
He won't retire. He'll stay a Spur if we get a piece to put with him.

For example, how much of a drop off would we really see if we replaced Duncan with Marc Gasol? I think Gasol in his prime (just turned 29) isn't too far behind a 37 year old Duncan, which just goes to show how great Duncan is playing at his age.

We wouldn't be winning titles with Parker/Gasol/Kawhi unless Kawhi somehow turned in to a superstar, but we'd be a decent playoff team similar to the Grizzlies now.

Brazil
02-06-2014, 07:51 AM
yeah. the only issue is his contract expires after next season, which is the expected time when Tim and Manu will hang it up (can't believe that day is actually coming, tbh :depressed).
it the time, Parker will be 33. i have a bad feeling he might just sign elsewhere, though yeah, we could work a sign and trade with a team in the east that thinks he'd make them a contender. we just need Jim Buss east

Parker made it clear numerous times he doesn't want to play for another team. He stated he wants an extension asap.
ATM except for the "I feel, I think..." blahblah there is no evidence whatsoever dude wants to leave for a big market.

He also made it clear like Manu btw that if the Spurs don't "want" him he will continue to play, he stated he has no intention to retire from NBA anytime soon

Brazil
02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
on a side not OP is a retard starting dumb threads per par

not a lot of work to google parker retiring or whatever to check the numerous quotes about that topic

TXstbobcat
02-06-2014, 08:46 AM
He won't retire when he has another big payday coming when his current contract runs out.

TDomination
02-06-2014, 09:31 AM
No he doesn't retire with them, and I believe he stays a spur.

With manu and timmy gone, he WILL be the face of the franchise which I'm sure he wants that. Plus he'll get paid well.

And we will still be a good team, Parker/Green/Leonard/Splitter/M.Gasol?,Anthony Davis?, or some other star that we can pay.

spurrito
02-06-2014, 10:33 AM
he'll pull a nash, go to the lakers with an injury and purposefully ruin their cap space

*fingers crossed*

ChumpDumper
02-06-2014, 02:15 PM
lol Manu's "aging gracefully"

Chomag
02-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Not retiring but I put my money on him going to a new team.

AFBlue
02-06-2014, 02:37 PM
He's been stumping for a contract extension to push beyond his current deal, so no he's not thinking retirement. My guess is that he'll get a three year extension to stay with the Spurs this offseason.

EVAY
02-06-2014, 03:25 PM
My guess is that if Pop retires when Duncan retires, then Tony will go to a big market like NY, Miami or one of the California teams.

Duncan likes a smaller town. Parker grew up in Paris and likes a big city environment.

Beaverfuzz
02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Nope, unless he comes up with a serious chronic injury. Parker will also be dealt or cut for a newer rising PG. It's how the NBA operates...Ginobli and Duncan are exceptions to the rule these days.

TJastal
02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
My guess is that if Pop retires when Duncan retires, then Tony will go to a big market like NY, Miami or one of the California teams.

Duncan likes a smaller town. Parker grew up in Paris and likes a big city environment.

Well you can rule out G.S. and LA Clippers. I can hardly see him going to Sacto so that leaves the lakers as about the only CA option that I could see being appealing to him (and that's only because he likes attention and its the lakers).

SpursDynasty21
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
We wouldn't be winning titles with Parker/Gasol/Kawhi unless Kawhi somehow turned in to a superstar, but we'd be a decent playoff team similar to the Grizzlies now.

I think that team could contend for championships. Parker staying and Leonard emerging as a star player, along with adding other pieces, could keep the Spurs as one of the best teams in the NBA. At least, in my opinion.

james evans
02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
i'm hoping he doesn't so the world can see exactly how good he is without duncan protecting the basket for his non defensive abilities. we will see if he can carry a team without timmy hahaha.

james evans
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Nope, unless he comes up with a serious chronic injury. Parker will also be dealt or cut for a newer rising PG. It's how the NBA operates...Ginobli and Duncan are exceptions to the rule these days.
the spurs don't operate like that. they are the most loyal franchise in all of sports. even the patriots treat deion branch(a superbowl mvp) like shit constantly signing and cutting him. the spurs will keep someone until they are one foot in the grave out of loyalty(see robinson and ginobli for examples)

james evans
02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
No he doesn't retire with them, and I believe he stays a spur.

With manu and timmy gone, he WILL be the face of the franchise which I'm sure he wants that. Plus he'll get paid well.

And we will still be a good team, Parker/Green/Leonard/Splitter/M.Gasol?,Anthony Davis?, or some other star that we can pay.
no team with parker running point WITHOUT tim duncan is going anywhere. he's gonna be in full gunner mode and his teammates are gonna be trying to get traded.

Beaverfuzz
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
the spurs don't operate like that. they are the most loyal franchise in all of sports. even the patriots treat deion branch(a superbowl mvp) like shit constantly signing and cutting him. the spurs will keep someone until they are one foot in the grave out of loyalty(see robinson and ginobli for examples)

Yes but eventually the day will come that Parker is no longer a Spur. And the Spurs will hopefully get something for him rather than let him walk away to free agency. A big name team would snatch him up and pay plenty for him.

exstatic
02-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Yes but eventually the day will come that Parker is no longer a Spur. And the Spurs will hopefully get something for him rather than let him walk away to free agency. A big name team would snatch him up and pay plenty for him.

He won't leave in FA, most likely. He will likely retire as a Spur. When he does, it will be time to burn it to the ground. You almost never get value in trade for All Stars or All NBA players, so nothing we could get can jump start the re-build, and it will be a re-build without Parker.

Johnny RIngo
02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
You almost never get value in trade for All Stars or All NBA players

Parker won't even be all-star or all-NBA quality by the time Duncan/Manu retire. He's declining pretty fast.

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
He won't leave in FA, most likely. He will likely retire as a Spur. When he does, it will be time to burn it to the ground. You almost never get value in trade for All Stars or All NBA players, so nothing we could get can jump start the re-build, and it will be a re-build without Parker.

He won't go play in France? Or are you saying he'll be done within the next 2.5 years? You don't need value in trade...you need draft picks. If Gerald Wallace can be traded time and time again for high draft picks, so can Tony Parker.

Johnny RIngo has it right, Parker has declined big time but maybe a full summer off will do him some good.

Bruno
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
:lol @ Parker declining.

He played his best basketball last season and has played injured for the last couple of months while being tired after a busy summer.

Libri
02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
need somebody to confirm this translation:

"I always said I'd like to do the final year of my career in France, but I still want to play a long time in the NBA (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/basket/nba/&usg=ALkJrhjyov0Yywaw9oLRcmuJT0Zd7CAVXA) for six-seven years, he announced.I would like to have a long career.I feel good physically.I love basketball, I'm passionate.I want to play as long as possible."

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bfmtv.com%2Fsport%2Fparker-six-sept-ans-nba-707456.html

Bruno
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
^That's what he said.

Parker has always said that he would like to play as long as possible. One of his goal is to have a 20 seasons NBA career. He's quite confident on how well he will aged since there is very little jumping in his game.

Libri
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
^ Thanks.

KaiRMD1
02-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Parker will definitely be in another jersey eventually