PDA

View Full Version : [Grantland] DataBall

Phenomanul
02-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Didn't see it posted....

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2014/0205/Grant_I_MicroStats_SL_640.jpg&w=608&h=342

"Tony Parker is one of the best playmakers in the world. For more than a decade now, he’s been the straw that stirs the Spurs’ stiff offensive drink. But despite winning three rings and an NBA Finals MVP,1 Parker has never quite been considered a true superstar. Once again this year, he’ll begin the All-Star Game on the bench, playing behind guards who have somehow turned slighter successes into superior Q scores. Maybe this is because Parker is a foreign player, or maybe it’s because he plays in a smaller market deep in the heart of Texas.

But maybe it’s also because our box scores undervalue the importance of the “little things” that players like Parker do and overvalue the most easily quantifiable events like made baskets and rebounds."

http://grantland.com/features/expected-value-possession-nba-analytics/

Baam
02-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Not the best year for the TP is underrated argument, being an all star at all this season is showing he's not underrated at all right now.

TheyCallMePro
02-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I've been saying it for years. Tony Parker is BY FAR the best PG of this generation, and he'll likely go down as the most underrated players in the history of the NBA.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Good read, tbh, I love this era of basketball media..

The access and data that fans/writers have now is amazing, we have access to virtually all the tools that coaches/front offices have, tbh..

I remember up until about 2010, where there was still the large portion of fans that still used the antiquated "well X player said this and he played the game, so he knows what he's talking about" argument:lol..and the "coaches have the game film to study"..

As I've been saying for years, Spurs players, particularly Duncan, will see a growth in their legacies as advanced metrics/media continues to grow, while players like Kobe will have a mass decline in their outlook IMO..

Halberto
02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Tony Parker is BY FAR the best PG of this generation

That's quite a statement, take your homer glasses off and think about that some more. Top 5 for sure, but to say he is BY FAR better than CP3 and Nash... dunno about that.

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Not the best year for the TP is underrated argument, being an all star at all this season is showing he's not underrated at all right now.

Agreed. The article would have made more sense last year when TP had a career year. Was the best point guard in the league too. TP has regressed this season though.

hater
02-06-2014, 05:39 PM
this team goes as far as MVParker takes em

I been saying this for years. glad the media is finally realizing this

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2014, 05:50 PM
^^you also said Lebron could never lead a team to a title:lol..

hater
02-06-2014, 05:56 PM
^^you also said Lebron could never lead a team to a title:lol..

and he didn't. He jumped on DWade, Bosh and greatest shooter in history bandwagon :lol

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2014, 06:42 PM
and he didn't. He jumped on DWade, Bosh and greatest shooter in history bandwagon :lol

And when has TP ever led a team without Duncan and Ginobili? Last year, he had Duncan dominating the Heat in the post, Green shooting his way to a Finals record, Leonard making huge plays on both ends and TP still choked. If TP played to his season levels, SA would have won the 'ship.

02-06-2014, 07:06 PM
he was injured lol urine idiot

wildchild
02-06-2014, 07:13 PM
As I've been saying for years, Spurs players, particularly Duncan, will see a growth in their legacies as advanced metrics/media continues to grow, while players like Kobe will have a mass decline in their outlook IMO..

Agree, technology -internet- is also an equal opportunity generator these years. But I'm not sure if it's only about acces and data.

I'm not saying anything new in stressing that the media wield high influence in fans opinion, and sports news is a business, focus on making money, so the Big SuperStars stories assure money (like countless articles on Kobe's recovery, articles explaining how a player who played only six games made All Stars in starting lineup), new Stars, too.

The media need mass-market and need to find new stars for increasing audiences, as well as to frame some player's story from a specific perspective. Promote young guys or destroy these guys -because they need villains and scapegoats, too-. Just look NY media phenomenons...Eddie Curry, Jeremy Lin, etc

The mainstream media are involved in big franchises agendas as NY, LA. I'm not optimistic about that could change.

exstatic
02-06-2014, 08:21 PM

A) He mentioned his All Star selection.
B) He isn't talking about this fucking year. He's talking about his entire CAREER being underrated.

DPG21920
02-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Good read, tbh, I love this era of basketball media..

The access and data that fans/writers have now is amazing, we have access to virtually all the tools that coaches/front offices have, tbh..

I remember up until about 2010, where there was still the large portion of fans that still used the antiquated "well X player said this and he played the game, so he knows what he's talking about" argument:lol..and the "coaches have the game film to study"..

So true - I still have to listen everyday to guys like Sam Mitchell & Lionel Hollins talk about "they gut".

exstatic
02-06-2014, 08:51 PM
So true - I still have to listen everyday to guys like Sam Mitchell & Lionel Hollins talk about "they gut".

At least Hollins is doing it without a job now. It's amazing that he never caught on that the two times he made the WCFs, he was without his favorite inefficient chucker, Rudy Gay.

DPG21920
02-06-2014, 09:00 PM
He's an average to below average coach. What's funny is Hollins wanted credit for getting them to the WCF when that only happened when management literally forced his hand by trading Gay :lol

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2014, 09:31 PM
he was injured lol urine idiot

So was Wade but he still found a way to step up in the Finals.

exstatic
02-06-2014, 09:33 PM
So was Wade but he still found a way to step up in the Finals.

Wade got shots, probably further shortening his career.

cjw
02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
That's quite a statement, take your homer glasses off and think about that some more. Top 5 for sure, but to say he is BY FAR better than CP3 and Nash... dunno about that.

Nash can never get a pass for how bad he is on defense. Maybe best offensive PG...

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Wade got shots, probably further shortening his career.

Who cares? Still resulted in a championship. Wade will take a shortened career anyday if it means an extra ring.

therealtruth
02-07-2014, 07:14 AM
Who cares? Still resulted in a championship. Wade will take a shortened career anyday if it means an extra ring.

This. If Pop coached more like this he would get more rings. There's no need to hold anything back when a ring is on the line.

Baam
02-07-2014, 07:42 AM
He's an average to below average coach. What's funny is Hollins wanted credit for getting them to the WCF when that only happened when management literally forced his hand by trading Gay :lol

And then they got exposed because they had no two way player at the 3 and we could double inside...

Hollins is def a good coach, got a better record every year, beat a first seed, took a finalist to a game 7, went to the WCF...

Full moneyball/analytics is just as dumb as the opposite...

exstatic
02-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, a hamstring isn't JUST a pain issue. If you don't take it at least a little easy, it will tear completely, and you're done. There IS no shot for that. I only mentioned the shot to illustrate that it wasn't like Wade played through the pain. There was no pain for him. Parker didn't have that luxury. He needed the pain to tell him when to back the fuck off.

exstatic
02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
And then they got exposed because they had no two way player at the 3 and we could double inside...

Hollins is def a good coach, got a better record every year, beat a first seed, took a finalist to a game 7, went to the WCF...

Full moneyball/analytics is just as dumb as the opposite...

You're a dinosaur. Gay is a chucker. Hollins only advanced when Gay wasn't there. He had his two way player at the 3 many other years and didn't do shit.